• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

N4C3R

Jiri Hudler as trade bait

Rate this topic

The following is pure speculation regarding a possible strategy. It has been no secret that Holland has coveted a top 6 forward this off-season. It has also been no secret that Babcock and Hudler don't appear to be doing the peas and carrots thing; there are many loyal Redwing fans/observers who feel Hudler is not getting the ice time he deserves.

Does it make sense for a GM to re-sign a player whom the coach doesn't play to his full potential? What if the player has untapped potential and could be used for trade bait. Kenny has said he doesn't want to commit salary beyond two years to make sure we're set to retain Hank. Kenny just signed Hudler to a 2-year deal. Whether Hudler is used as trade bait or not, his contract will end at the same time as Hanks. I don't believe that is a coincidence.

Holland has also said there are no top 6 forwards left on the UFA list. He may be working the press to try to influence the market, or it may be an indication that he is going a different route. Even his statement that he is done with the free agent market suggests he may be actively working out a trade. Just because he wasn't willing to pay the kind of money this year's UFAs received doesn't mean he's not willing to take on a beefy contract for a top 6 forward.

Jiri Hudler, by most accounts, has the potential to be a solid sniper in this league. For some reason Babs doesn't like him. I think Ken Holland is sitting on some very good trade bait here, and I think that may have been the driving force behind the 2-year deal Hudler just signed. Jiri is young, has potential, and has a manageable contract for the next 2 years.

With the cap space we have, and the trade bait we have in Jiri Hudler (and his contract), I think Ken Holland may not be done putting this team together for next season.

As a final note, I'd like to state that I like Jiri Hudler just fine. I cannot and will not deny that I prefer a physical, old-school style of hockey. That said, I see a lot of potential in Hudler and had not (until this morning frankly) considered trading him. I would like to avoid this thread turning into a Hudler worshipping/bashing thread, rather, I'd like to discuss this as a possible strategy or avenue for the Wings to add that top 6 forward I keep hearing so much about.

Thoughts?

-Pete

Since he just re-signed with the Wings, there about a 99% chance that this wouldn't happen during the offseason since sign & trade is very frowned upon. It's a little different in Jiri's case since he's a RFA rather than a UFA, but it still isn't the smartest thing for a franchise to do.

Edit: Wording

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Some one help me out here, IF>>>>

There is a RFA that Holland wants can he trade Hudler for the rights to that person . Much like Philly did with Nashville?

If they trade him it would be closer to the deadline. This may be a pivitol year for him as a Wing, imo. I think he can be good and I don't think he's reached his potential. Everyone points out he didn't play in the 3rd round and they played Kopecky, but I firmly believe that is because of Hudler's size or lack there of and the Ducks size. Hudler needs to find a way to make his small size work for him. Like Holland said they want him to be quicker and that would help. Again if he's traded its later the season imo.

This is definitely a possibility. He got him down under $1M and can deal him in a package with a pick and get a mid-range depth forward. However, he would still have a hole on the 4th line to fill, even if Grigs comes up. I don't think Hussey is ready. So, Holland and Babcock would have to deal with a VERY young line-up until the trade deadline; unless they move Hudler for another forward AND sign a UFA before the season begins.

If they trade him it would be closer to the deadline. This may be a pivitol year for him as a Wing, imo. I think he can be good and I don't think he's reached his potential. Everyone points out he didn't play in the 3rd round and they played Kopecky, but I firmly believe that is because of Hudler's size or lack there of and the Ducks size. Hudler needs to find a way to make his small size work for him. Like Holland said they want him to be quicker and that would help. Again if he's traded its later the season imo.

:clap: QFT

Maybe it's my competitive spirit, I'm still hoping Ken Holland will go after Dustin Penner. He's young, he's big, he's talented, and best of all he's currently a Duck. Agreed barring that it would be best to wait on a Hudler trade until later in the season.

Hudler and Lilja are the two players on the roster I would love to see shipped out. How about a package deal? The pair for any decent second line winger.

The Wings do not S+T. Very few teams do in this era.

Chicago accepted Kyle Calders arbitration ruling last summer but traded him the very next day.

Bad example though, because Chicago is not exactly the smartest team around. It still has happened before though, which is why I pointed it out.

The Wings do not S+T. Very few teams do in this era.

QFT

However, it would be a much different story if the Wings signed a UFA only to turn around and trade said player. It is a little different in Hudler's situation since he's a RFA. That being said, moving a newly signed RFA before the season starts would still be looked down upon by a good amount of players, it just wouldn't be as severe as doing it to a UFA.

Edit: Wording

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

hudler wont be traded , at least not anytime soon........penner is out of the question now with rafalski datsyuk lidstrom totalling 20.3 million and zetterberg coming up in 2 yrs.

penner would have to be offered at least a 4-5 million range salary on a longterm deal to even have a shot , we do that and were screwed unless we beg lidstrom to take a paycut in 2 yrs lol.

maybe if were lucky somehow fit him in for 10 million and then the next season give him 2 when its zetterbergs first year into his new deal so lidstrom's salary only counts as 2 million .......but again i doubt it since we got other players due for raises

Randomly heard this on 1270, put little stock in it myself but the "gator" said there is a possiblity of the Rangers going after Souray, in which case they'd look to move Jagr to be able to sign Souray and the Wings would be interested. But he also said he thinks the Wings will end up with forsberg, so like I said....random trade speculation. Don't see Jiri being invoulved in it anyway.

Edited by bringback91

Randomly heard this on 1270, put little stock in it myself but the "gator" said there is a possiblity of the Rangers going after Souray, in which case they'd look to move Jagr to be able to sing Souray and the Wings would be interested. But he also said he thinks the Wings will end up with forsberg, so like I said....random trade speculation. Don't see Jiri being invoulved in it anyway.

Jagr to the Wings? Sounds like an e5.

Just in case you don't get the joke, that means it won't happen.

Jagr to the Wings? Sounds like an e5.

Just in case you don't get the joke, that means it won't happen.

Yeah I read that site occasionally.

kindl, actually I think he'd only be owed 4. I think the Caps still pay half his salary if I'm not mistaken. I know they pay a portion of it. No, don't think it happen either, that's why I said "random trade speculation by gator, which I put little stock in".

Guest Crymson

Hudler and Lilja are the two players on the roster I would love to see shipped out. How about a package deal? The pair for any decent second line winger.

Please add this to the "LGW purchases hockey franchise thread." It's a thread full of totally unrealistic trade ideas that we'd all somehow get done if we owned the team.

In other words.. never gonna happen.

Randomly heard this on 1270, put little stock in it myself but the "gator" said there is a possiblity of the Rangers going after Souray, in which case they'd look to move Jagr to be able to sign Souray and the Wings would be interested. But he also said he thinks the Wings will end up with forsberg, so like I said....random trade speculation. Don't see Jiri being invoulved in it anyway.

The Devils have already signed Souray, no?

Edited by Crymson

The Devils have already signed Souray, no?

That hasnt been made official yet, its back to rumor status but most likely it'll happen.

Ive thought about the possiblity the Rangers will move Jagr. Over the course of the last 2 offseasons, they seem to be making an effort to become increasingly North American. No, im not slandering euros by saying this, but if im not mistaken thats all theyve been signing. So i wouldnt be surprised in the least to see Jagr shipped out.

We're going to end up with Forsberg, I think its just a matter of time. Holland will follow the Bertuzzi route again and go after another injury question marked player who's value isnt what it once was. Im expecting one of those contracts with a decent base salary but loaded with incentives. I dont want this to happen mind you, this is just what im predicting.

That hasnt been made official yet, its back to rumor status but most likely it'll happen.

Ive thought about the possiblity the Rangers will move Jagr. Over the course of the last 2 offseasons, they seem to be making an effort to become increasingly North American. No, im not slandering euros by saying this, but if im not mistaken thats all theyve been signing. So i wouldnt be surprised in the least to see Jagr shipped out.

We're going to end up with Forsberg, I think its just a matter of time. Holland will follow the Bertuzzi route again and go after another injury question marked player who's value isnt what it once was. Im expecting one of those contracts with a decent base salary but loaded with incentives. I dont want this to happen mind you, this is just what im predicting.

as long as forsberg is ready for the post season , thats all that matters .....i think he got 4 pts in 4 games for nashville in the post season , i think he can do good here .......again as long as hes healthy for the post season thats all i care about

I remember there being alot of debate about whether Hudler vs. Kopecky or even Hudler vs. Bertuzzi should play in the playoffs. Babcock obviously prefered the other guys over Hudler. You're speculating that was because of his size vs. a team like the Ducks or Sharks. I guess I'm wondering, if that was the case this year, wouldn't it be the case next year too? Seemingly we will play "bigger, tougher" teams in the playoffs again - or so they're called (we were way tougher than the Sharks). I guess I'm just wondering what people think will change this year - the kid's been around awhile so I agree - this is a *pivotal* year for him.

I'm not sure why everyone wants Hudler shipped out so fast? Yes, he is small, but the guy can play. If he ends up with 40-60 pts this season, I see no reason to move him. I guess thats just me, but I like both Huds AND Flip on this team. Just my 2c.

Does it make sense for a GM to re-sign a player whom the coach doesn't play to his full potential?

I don't think Babcock and Holland have the same taste in players. Hudler is a Holland player... Cleary is a Babcock player. Holland isn't bringing in a lot of Babcock players...