• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Sopel draws Detroit's eye.

Rate this topic

Lindros intrested in Detroit, Detroit interested in Sopel

BEST OF THE REST

Eric Lindros -- Falling star is rumored to have some interest in Detroit. Dallas would also bring him back if his price drops low enough.

Jeff O'Neill -- Showed flashes of his old, goal-scoring self last season, but may not have shown enough of them to interest teams enough to crack open the checkbook.

Brent Sopel -- A lot of teams could use a big No. 4 rearguard who can chip in 30 points, including Washington, Atlanta, San Jose, Detroit and one of his former teams the N.Y. Islanders.

I know I don't want Lindros for anything more then min money and min ice time.

Sopel on the otherhand is intriguing, and may make us so deep in D that we can buy most any forward at the deadline.

Thoughts?

Guest jaytan

I'd be all for Sopel, actually.

Does anyone else think it's funny that Lindros' price has to "drop low enough"? He's crazy if he thinks he's going to be paid big money to go out and get himself concussed for someone.

If I were Kenny Holland, I'd steer clear of Eric Lindros.

One can argue that he's a decent player if/when he's healthy, but that's a rare occurrence. Plus, when he did play, I thought he was a liability and his defensive skills were questionable at best.

If Holland's still determined to sign him, I'd expect him to be signed at the league minimum.

Lindros intrested in Detroit, Detroit interested in Sopel

I know I don't want Lindros for anything more then min money and min ice time.

Sopel on the otherhand is intriguing, and may make us so deep in D that we can buy most any forward at the deadline.

Thoughts?

Please explain how. It will be a re-run of last trade deadline, all the top names (healthy ones) will be commanding 1st rd picks and/or talented prospects in return. As we've learned, the Wings will not meet those demands. So dont be fooled by the fact they may have cap room or an extra body to deal on defense. It wont matter.

Please explain how. It will be a re-run of last trade deadline, all the top names (healthy ones) will be commanding 1st rd picks and/or talented prospects in return. As we've learned, the Wings will not meet those demands. So dont be fooled by the fact they may have cap room or an extra body to deal on defense. It wont matter.

In a perfect world, Lebda and Kronwall could land Darcy Tucker.

In a perfect world.

I'd hate to see Lindros in Detroit, I'm hoping the Preds can sign him up for the third line.

The guy is still a really good player. His ppg are still high, you just have to get him to play a lot of games.

Guest DetroitIan

I have 7 words that sum up my feelings here. PLEASE GOD LET US GET BRENT SOPEL! This guy would be PERFECT for our squad. This is great news hearing that we have interest. I cant stress it enough. I want this guy in red. I would take Sopel over Markov in a frickin heartbeat. Please get it done Kenny!

You need to trade a player prospect and picks. By no means am I saying you could trade one for one. You are a fool if you think having more options in a trade is a bad thing.

Ok, so they sign Sopel and have Lilja available to trade. What the hell is that gonna get you at the deadline? We've already seen this play out, Detroit will not give up top prospects and 1st rd picks for guys that are coveted at the deadline. They may be able to get a higer salaried guy that no one else wants for a smaller package, or someone thats injured like Bertuzzi was, but to make the claim that they'll get anybody they want is off the mark considering what the Wings are willing to give up.

Guest DetroitIan

As for Lindros. Get him the hell away from Detroit. Far far away.

Ok, so they sign Sopel and have Lilja available to trade. What the hell is that gonna get you at the deadline? We've already seen this play out, Detroit will not give up top prospects and 1st rd picks for guys that are coveted at the deadline. They may be able to get a higer salaried guy that no one else wants for a smaller package, or someone thats injured like Bertuzzi was, but to make the claim that they'll get anybody they want is off the mark considering what the Wings are willing to give up.

A 1st round pick is not a deal breaker. Other than this year, and 2005, the Wings have used their first round pick in quite a while.

It's hard to make any decent trades when you're dealing with people like the St. Louis Blues management (Pleau and Davidson). They found GM's that were stupid enough to shell out at least 4 draft picks and 2 good players for over-the-hill guys like Tkachuk and Guerin.

There aren't a lot of sensible GM's out there. They all want 2 AHL franchises for these crap bag players (Tkachuk), and unfourtantly, there are GM's stupid and desperate enough to do that.

A 1st round pick is not a deal breaker. Other than this year, and 2005, the Wings have used their first round pick in quite a while.

It's hard to make any decent trades when you're dealing with people like the St. Louis Blues management (Pleau and Davidson). They found GM's that were stupid enough to shell out at least 4 draft picks and 2 good players for over-the-hill guys like Tkachuk and Guerin.

There aren't a lot of sensible GM's out there. They all want 2 AHL franchises for these crap bag players (Tkachuk), and unfourtantly, there are GM's stupid and desperate enough to do that.

The Wings have turned conservative in the cap era. How many times have we heard Holland say the Wings wont be giving up all the picks like they used to? Or trading top prospects? We've heard numerous times! Look at what the prices were for the guys last year like Tkachuk and Guerin. Why would it be any different next deadline? A barrage of high picks plus prospects is what all the teams with coveted guys will be asking for again. I see zero reason to believe Holland will suddenly change his tune and offer up huge packages.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

if we can get the Big E in detroit it would be awsome along with Sopel grit grit cheap. then use the remaining money to get a top six at trade deadline

Expect Sopel to be picked up by the Islanders, the Sabres or the Sharks. Or basically any other team that tried on Souray and came short. Would I like to see him in Detroit, hell yes! I won't get my hopes too high though.

As for Lindros: If we are going to gamble on an injury prone star player, I see us going for Forsberg. I still would like Kenny to trade for Mike Knuble, he'd be the perfect fit here. And since Philly needs to dump some salary it's not too unrealistic.

We cannot afford to sign him if we wnat to have room for the deadline. Actually, we dont have room to sign him in general.

Im not necessarily saying they should sign Sutton, but theres room. If you sign Sutton for say, 3.5...and deal Lilja for whatever draft pick you can get (just to dump his salary), that'll help offset it. There would be zero need for Lilja at the point Sutton were signed. Like ive said in this thread, theres no use in the Wings saving 4 million or whatever for the deadline when they arent willing to part with the packages it'll take to land a big name or two (healthy is the key). They'll get outbid every time just like last time. Not much point to it...might as well spend most of it now.

Sopel is the only legitimate free agent left, so its good for Holland to have interest. As for Lindros.....anything more than 500k is not worth it. Injuries chase this guy around like a dog chases a cat.

Guest DetroitIan

And what about F**King Sutton? I don't see why he isnt even an option for Detroit?

I think he's asking for too much. But Im not certain on that.

I wouldnt mind lindros for league minimum and i surely wouldnt mind seeing sopel either ... pretty big defensemen anyways what i wanted to say that i really have a strong fealing wings are keeping the money $$$ to get forsberg when he decides to come back ... Yes it would be ideal to get markov back or get sopel ... but it would be way better to get a 100% (if truly he is 100%) forsberg refreshed