• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ben_usmc

Smyth and Holmstrom

Rate this topic

I always thought that Ryan Smyth was just a glorified Holmstrom, I keep hearing people thinking the Av's are going to be this amazing team because of the 2 additions. I mean I think they will be much better but 2 players won't take you from out of the playoffs to #1 in the playoffs. Also my roomate who is a Av's fan and I would venture to say really doesn't know much about hockey other then his own team, thinks Smyth is supposed to be this amazing player but I've always thought he played like Holmstrom and maybe not even as good, anyone elses thoughts, so I can smack my friend with knowledge.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

gotta go with your rommie on this one man Smyth reminds me of a stevie Y type player. He is a amazing captain and the only reason Holmstrom is up there in goals is because of Z and D

I always thought that Ryan Smyth was just a glorified Holmstrom, I keep hearing people thinking the Av's are going to be this amazing team because of the 2 additions. I mean I think they will be much better but 2 players won't take you from out of the playoffs to #1 in the playoffs. Also my roomate who is a Av's fan and I would venture to say really doesn't know much about hockey other then his own team, thinks Smyth is supposed to be this amazing player but I've always thought he played like Holmstrom and maybe not even as good, anyone elses thoughts, so I can smack my friend with knowledge.

He plays the same style of hockey as homer, but might hae a better set of hands (but not by much). However, for the price we pay homer, he is obviously the better candidate in my book. Smyth tends to get more goals i think, but id rather have homer on my squad.

Smyth is a solid locker room presence and a much better two-way player than Homer, though it pains me to say it. They're both physically potent and both benefit from an excellent work ethic, but Smyth is more complete.

gotta go with your rommie on this one man Smyth reminds me of a stevie Y type player. He is a amazing captain and the only reason Holmstrom is up there in goals is because of Z and D

i may be partial, but i think comparing smyth to Stevie Y is an insault to Steve. Stevie Y led by example and was very loyal. They also play much different hockey, smyth tends to be more agressive, and stevie was more of a skills/playmaker type player. Im not attacking you at all, Smyth is a great player, but not a Stevie Y type player in my book.

Also i think Homers goals have been padded due to being on a line with Z and dats, but the man works for every single goal that he does get, and he also makes Z and dats better aswell. They work off of eachother, and they all benefit from eachother which is the purpose of a team.

Guest Crymson

Well, let's see:

Homer was second to only Fedorov and Yzerman in scoring in the '98 playoffs.

Homer was third overall in goals on the team in the '02 playoffs.

Homer scored 30 goals in '05-'06 while NOT on a line with Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Homer is much more hailed for his work ethic, and gets much more attention for his play in front of the net, that does Smyth. Smyth hangs around and nails in rebounds. Homer actually glues himself to the goalie.

Smyth is a leader, has better rep* and speaks English in more understandable fashion :)

* = I mean: with Homer you could see asses like Pronger whine how Tomas is about crashing the net and being only about hurting goalie. but even this b* Pronger would not dare to say this about Captain Canada.

Edited by akustyk

Smyth is as good as advertised.

Holmstrom is as good as advertised.

Smyth being as good as he is doesn't take away from Holmstrom's game, and vice versa.

I'd go with your roomate on this one.

My condolences go out to you for having a divealanche fan for a roommate. As for the argument, I agree with the other posters in that Smyth kills penalties and is a more all around physical player than Homer. Also, they're different in that Smyth likes to shift around the net more often, while Homer will just stand in front of the goalie. Also, opposing players hate Homer a lot more than Smyth.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

obviously smyth aint a steve yzerman but he is a player that reminds me of stevie watch him play then talk

1) Smyth is a great captain yes, but he is nowhere near the level of Steve Yzerman.

2) Holmstrom scores goals because he gets into areas where most players dont want to get into. Not to mention his amazing hand eye coordination that allows him to tip pucks in. He also helps Dats and Hank score by being a menace to the opposing goalie.

Edited by superstarsingh

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

yes i have seen smyth play he is one of my favorite players and i live on the westcoast so i see atleast 10 edmonton games a year

Although Holmstrom scores alot of goals by getting tip-ins and things like that, he can also rip em straight in when he wants to. Check out game 3 vs. the Ducks this year (the one where he got 2 goals, an assist, and checked by pronger/niedermayer). His first goal is the one i'm talking about:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?date=05%2F15%2F...mp;service=page

Perhaps... but when Homer was out for any length of time this last playoffs... he were truely hurting for goals.

Perhaps holmer also sparks Z and dats to perform? and perhaps he allows the two of them to be all-stars?

I was the last to admit how valuable Holmer was to the team... but seeing his absence for any length of time in the post season showed me how wrong I was about his contributions to the team.

Edited by OsGOD

Perhaps... but when Homer was out for any length of time this last playoffs... he were truely hurting for goals.

Perhaps holmer also sparks Z and dats to perform? and perhaps he allows the two of them to be all-stars?

I was the last to admit how valuable Holmer was to the team... but seeing his absence for any length of time in the post season showed me how wrong I was about his contributions to the team.

Could not agree more.

I hate you all for not being of any help, joking. No I know Symth is better but I never really thought him to be AMAZING, and I do believe the Av's will be a lot better probably make it to the final 4 for the West if teams stay the way they are, but will get beat by any of the other 3. Thanks for the input, even if i dont like it.

Wait till next season... you will see plenty of players on other teams being covetted by many on here placing them unrightfully in the HIGH AND MIGHTY THROWN OF HONOR AND LUST....

Smyth was so last season... next season hold still many secrets ;)

...gotta disagree with ya!

...Holmstrom was putting in goals like hotcakes and winning Cups way before Z & D were ever thinking about the NHL. Holmstrom has been and always will be the best at what he does. Smyth is good, he is grtty, but when he has 3 Stanley Cups to put on his shelf, he doesn't compare to Holmstrom. He may score more goals than Homer in the regular season, but Holmstrom becomes a whole different factor. Smyth is close, but for the money, Holmstrom is far superior!

Smyth is better. That much is sure. However, he wont make the Avs much better.

The reason "why?" is simple.

He's much better on the offensive end than on the defensive end. Not to say he isn't a good defender, but the Avs were in desperate need for defence last year. Hannan will help a bit with that, but not enough to make the Avs anything more than a #6 or 7 seed. The Avs top three scorers last year were a combined -2 +/-.. Compare that to the Wings where our top three had a combined 102 +/-... That's a difference of 104 +/-, and our top 3 scored less too. So, another offensive threat like Smyth simply isn't the answer for them. They're just makes the Kariya and Selanne mistake again by adding big name scorers instead of the type of players they actually need. If they were smart they would have made a move for a guy like Markov and not Smyth.

There, tell that to the Av lover (fyi, get a new roomate).

Edited by RedWings Gone Wild

Smyth is better. That much is sure. However, he wont make the Avs much better.

The reason "why?" is simple.

He's much better on the offensive end than on the defensive end. Not to say he isn't a good defender, but the Avs were in desperate need for defence last year. Hannan will help a bit with that, but not enough to make the Avs anything more than a #6 or 7 seed. The Avs top three scorers last year were a combined -2 +/-.. Compare that to the Wings where our top three had a combined 102 +/-... That's a difference of 104 +/-, and our top 3 scored less too. So, another offensive threat like Smyth simply isn't the answer for them. They're just makes the Kariya and Selanne mistake again by adding big name scorers instead of the type of players they actually need. If they were smart they would have made a move for a guy like Markov and not Smyth.

There, tell that to the Av lover (fyi, get a new roomate).

Lets see....overpay and spend 3.5-4 mill for Danny Markov or 6 mill for Ryan Smyth....what a difficult decision!! ;) Thats pretty crazy to say. With Sakic soon to be on the way out they need a guy like Smyth...he's perfect to take the reigns over. Im afraid your vastly overrating Markov in this case.

Well now my roomate loves the Wings too, after watching every game this season they are his second favorite team. Don't worry though I keep it real and let him know i still hate the Av's

Smyth is a better leader.

Holmstrom works harder, and is, in general, a better player.

Granted, Smyth has scored more goals a season than Holmstrom has, as Smyth just narrowly missed the 40 goal mark before, but Smyth also makes much more money than he's worth, and doesn't work nearly as hard as Holmstrom does.

Overall, I'd rather have Holmstrom.

By the way, comparing Smyth to Yzerman is a joke. Yzerman is far and beyond a better player in pretty much everything and better leader than Smyth could ever dream to be.