• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wildwings44

Meech & Markov

Rate this topic

Meech never played much when he was called up - maybe 5 minutes a game at most on his luckiest day - but from what I saw of him he seems a pretty steady Dman who can hold his own. Hell be good for a #7, although I like Quincey better.

I very much hope Markov comes to terms....

He'd be a nice presence, but we already have a logjam on defense... adding him would likely send Lebda back down.

Lids-Kronner

Lilja-Rafalski

Chelios-Lebda

Quincey

We already have seven and itll be hard to send Quincey down. Markov offers some intangibles, but not enough to merit the money he is looking for.

He'd be a nice presence, but we already have a logjam on defense... adding him would likely send Lebda back down.

Lids-Kronner

Lilja-Rafalski

Chelios-Lebda

Quincey

We already have seven and itll be hard to send Quincey down. Markov offers some intangibles, but not enough to merit the money he is looking for.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Lids-Kronner

Lilja-Rafalski

Chelios-Lebda

Quincey

It wont be hard to send Quincey down at all... he can clear waivers, and they plan on playing him in GR this year anyways. Direct quote from Holland saying there's no point in having him play seventh d, they want him to have playing time.

If you are referring to Meech, who cannot be sent down, then I see your point. But consider what happened last playoffs: We lost Kronner and Schneids. I would rather have a logjam and have to carry an extra d man or something, than have a few d go down and not have stellar replacements.

Lids-Markov

Rafalski-Kronner

Chelios-Lebda/Lilja

Meech

As Bab's has said, "You can never have too many D."

P.S. And yes agreed with statement about him not being worth what he wants. Hence saying, I hope HE comes to terms. Not us.

Just wait until Kronwall gets injured again then tell me what you think.

:P

I'm not sure if Lilja tops Lebda though... Lils was the one fighting for a sixth spot all season long, while Babcock kept Lebda in the line-up.

Guest DetroitIan

Meech is ok and all. But im not too excited here. I would be if we were close to signing Markov. I just cant believe he would stand so firm for .5 mill. I mean I know he wants a longer term deal. But hell, I think 2.5 mill is VERY reasonable for Markov. I'll be pretty disappointed if he doesnt re-sign. Although, I must say, I wouldnt mind at all if Kenny upped the years on the offer. Maybe if Kenny offers a 3-4 year deal, 2.5 mill per. Then maybe Danny will finally re-sign.

Markov and another forward and we're set. I think someone on this forum said it best with, "we are one defenseman and forward away from getting to the final four. We're also one injury away from missing the playoffs".

If Markov is gone, then give Meech the 6th spot. It would be better suited for him than Lilja.

Ideally, I'd like it to go to Kyle Quincey, but he'll be going to the minors, because he still can without clearing waivers.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I would love to have Markov back, but not at the price that he's asking for. Lets not forget that he does have a history of injuries, so bringing him in at his asking price is a big gamble for any team. I think that in the end he'll sign with a Russian team as opposed to returning to the NHL, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I would love to have Markov back, but not at the price that he's asking for. Lets not forget that he does have a history of injuries, so bringing him in at his asking price is a big gamble for any team. I think that in the end he'll sign with a Russian team as opposed to returning to the NHL, but hopefully I'm wrong.

He has a history of having minor injuries during the year, missing a quarter of the regular season, and then being a warrior in the playoffs. I'll take that any day.

Markov thinks hes worth 4-5M. No thanks.

Yeah your right. Im hoping he will settle for less though. Id take him for 3-3.5, short term.

Guest Crymson

Lids-Kronner

Lilja-Rafalski

Chelios-Lebda

Quincey

Not a chance in hell exists that Lebda--barring a slump of incomprehensible proportions--will be sent down before Lilja or replaced by Quincey.

He has a history of having minor injuries during the year, missing a quarter of the regular season, and then being a warrior in the playoffs. I'll take that any day.

Markov did not play especially well in these last playoffs. IMO, Lilja was the better overall defenseman during that time. If anything, it seemed to me that Markov was shying away from physical play throughout most of the postseason.

When it comes down to it, Markov is just NOT THAT SPECIAL. He's got zero offense, he's injury prone, he occasionally has a bad attitude, his physicality is spotty, and he has really got nothing that truly distinguishes him. On top of that, we're chock-full of defense prospects, and we could really use the money for deadline deal later in the season. No thanks. I don't get the obsession some people here have with Markov.

Lids-Kronner

Lilja-Rafalski

Chelios-Lebda

Quincey

Lebda would have to clear waivers I'm assuming as well, probably not a wise idea for the Wings to do b/c he could be snatched up by another team then with the Wings getting anything in return. Not that I am hinting that it is going to happen/suggesting that Lebda get sent down...

Quincey wouldn't have to clear waivers I think. Either Quincey is going to get full PT up with the Wings as a #5/#6 defenseman or down in Grand Rapids as a #1/#2. It's silly to scratch him as a #7/#8 d-man right now when he's got to develop and get more experience.

Not sure if Meech has that "luxury" of not having to clear waivers to go to the minors or not.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I dont know if Im the first to ask , but what has Markov done to warrant getting 4-5 million a year? Playing with Lidstrom? because if so , Chelios deserves that kinda money too.

Good about Meech , I hope he gets a 2-way deal though , it'd be better for him to get some time in the minors