• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

2007 Green Bay Packers Thread

Rate this topic

good post NFM, although i feel like asking their running game to come to par with the offensive standards might be asking a bit much

I'm not even asking their running game to come to par with the offensive standards, just be somewhat respectable. 75 yards per game is not par, but no Packers runner to date has managed to hit that number.

Hell, the most rushing yards per game (team-wide) the Packers have had in 3 weeks is 83. That's a double bogey if you ask NFM.

I'm not even asking their running game to come to par with the offensive standards, just be somewhat respectable. 75 yards per game is not par, but no Packers runner to date has managed to hit that number.

Hell, the most rushing yards per game (team-wide) the Packers have had in 3 weeks is 83. That's a double bogey if you ask NFM.

Well the good news is that this week they showed the signs of snapping out of their doldrums. When they ran the ball against SD it was effective. They just didn't run it very often. And I don't really blame them. The strength of San Diego is clearly in stopping the run and they're very vulnerable to the pass (similar to this Vikings team we're about to play). SD is a good enough team that you can't waste possessions in the interest of establishing the run, so I think it was a pretty good move to throw, throw, and throw some more, especially since it was working like a charm.

The other good stuff: Clifton had a monster game against Merriman. He looked like ass the first two weeks. Tauscher still wasn't great on the other side, but he was better. The interior line play was a ton better. Nobody bursting into the backfield to take handoffs, Favre not getting killed on every third passing attempt. Remember, the offensive line can't practice cut blocks in training camp b/c of the risks to our own DL. I don't think it's crazy that they have a few kinks to work out. They got much better later in the season last year, and it's the same group. If we were able to run by the end of the year last year, I don't see any reason the running game shouldn't get going in the near future.

What thrilled me is that we've got a terrible track record against AFC teams, as well as a terrible track record against teams that run the 3-4. And we had NO trouble moving the ball on SD. 31 points, only 7 of which were aided by a takeaway, and they could've had another 11 points easily (Bubba dropped a TD, we ended up kicking a FG; 1st and goal from the 1 foot line and we turned it over on downs). That's a HUGE day against a great defense.

They'll probably have a similar gameplan against Minnesota. Detroit didn't try to run against them, and won. Kansas City didn't move the ball on offense until they stopped running the ball. But you can pass on them all day. Defensively, just play Peterson the same way they played Tomlinson and we'll be fine. Jackson/Holcomb shouldn't be able to hurt us through the air the way that Rivers did. The QB isn't nearly as good, the WRs aren't as good, and the TE definitely isn't as good.

It's tough anytime we go into the Metrodome, but despite people calling it Favre's Personal House of Horrors because of his career mark there, he is 3-1 in his last 4. And I fully expect a LOT of green and gold in the crowd.

congrats to packers and especially fans of Brett Farve. Nice to see the old man still has game and still something driving him to keep playing. Well I admit I have never been a fan of Farve, damnit to hell I respect the man. I hated him because everytime my Lions were any good, #4 for the Pack stood in our way. Fast Forward to this year and yet here we are again. So far only 2 teams showed up to play in the NFC Central and the Lions have to contend with the Pack for the divison title. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

My question especially to pack fans is where does brett farve rank in the greatest QBs ever.

IMO, the list is this.

#1 John Elway

#2 Johnny Unitas

#3 Joe Montana

#4 Brett Farve

#5 Peyton Manning

#6 Dan Marino

#7 Steve Young

#8 Warren Moon

#9 Frank Tarkenton

#10 Tom Brady

Guest DetroitIan

brett favre would be #1 on my list right now, but in 10 yrs peyton will have all of the records and be the best

Absolutely. Not only will Peyton Manning break Favre's record. He will smash it. But in all honesty, ya gotta love Favre. The guy is such a competitor. I sure do wish he was in another division. But he will always be one of my favorite QBs of all time. I remember back in '96 I had a huge Favre poster on my door. I never thought 11 years later he would still be playing, and winning. If the Lions cant make the playoffs, I'll be rooting for Favre to go out on top with a ring.

congrats to packers and especially fans of Brett Farve. Nice to see the old man still has game and still something driving him to keep playing. Well I admit I have never been a fan of Farve, damnit to hell I respect the man. I hated him because everytime my Lions were any good, #4 for the Pack stood in our way. Fast Forward to this year and yet here we are again. So far only 2 teams showed up to play in the NFC Central and the Lions have to contend with the Pack for the divison title. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

My question especially to pack fans is where does brett farve rank in the greatest QBs ever.

IMO, the list is this.

#1 John Elway

#2 Johnny Unitas

#3 Joe Montana

#4 Brett Farve

#5 Peyton Manning

#6 Dan Marino

#7 Steve Young

#8 Warren Moon

#9 Frank Tarkenton

#10 Tom Brady

Dude, no way Peyton is already in the top 5 all time. And he certainly is not above Tom Brady. Peyton needs atleast another superbowl victory and another MVP before he is ranked above Brady. Even head to head, Brady is 4-1 against Manning. IMO Manning will eventually pass Brady in greatness. But if we're talking about right now, not a chance.

Absolutely. Not only will Peyton Manning break Favre's record. He will smash it. But in all honesty, ya gotta love Favre. The guy is such a competitor. I sure do wish he was in another division. But he will always be one of my favorite QBs of all time. I remember back in '96 I had a huge Favre poster on my door. I never thought 11 years later he would still be playing, and winning. If the Lions cant make the playoffs, I'll be rooting for Favre to go out on top with a ring.

Dude, no way Peyton is already in the top 5 all time. And he certainly is not above Tom Brady. Peyton needs atleast another superbowl victory and another MVP before he is ranked above Brady. Even head to head, Brady is 4-1 against Manning. IMO Manning will eventually pass Brady in greatness. But if we're talking about right now, not a chance.

Why not? Peyton is 10 times the better QB than Brady. Brady is a good QB in a good system. If you take and put Peyton in the Pats system, he would smash his own records. Indy was nobody when they drafted Peyton. He started that team from the ground up. Pats were already a good team with Bledsoe, before Brady took over. Peyton is in the top 5 of all time. I didn't say right now., you did.

Why not? Peyton is 10 times the better QB than Brady. Brady is a good QB in a good system. If you take and put Peyton in the Pats system, he would smash his own records. Indy was nobody when they drafted Peyton. He started that team from the ground up. Pats were already a good team with Bledsoe, before Brady took over. Peyton is in the top 5 of all time. I didn't say right now., you did.

Wow what are you smoking. Peyton has a bunch of great wide outs. Tom is going into his first year with great wideouts. How about we talk at the end of the year when Brady kill Payton. Brady is by far the best Qb in today Nfl then Peyton, then Romo in Dallas everyone needs to watch them they will kill teams this year.

First and foremost, Timothy I'll get back to you on my list of ranking QB's. I've meant to get that out this entire week, but things have come up.

Anyway, just wanted to throw another shout out to Brett Favre. This guy is unbelievable. He'll be 38 very shortly, and is playing ball like he was when he was in his 20's. The only difference is, he's even smarter with the ball, and taking away all those mental mistakes.

In his last three games he has 8 TD's, 1 INT, 999 Passing Yards and a 110.23 QB rating. This guy never ceases to amaze me.

Keep it going Brett.....let's make it 5-0!

First and foremost, Timothy I'll get back to you on my list of ranking QB's. I've meant to get that out this entire week, but things have come up.

Anyway, just wanted to throw another shout out to Brett Favre. This guy is unbelievable. He'll be 38 very shortly, and is playing ball like he was when he was in his 20's. The only difference is, he's even smarter with the ball, and taking away all those mental mistakes.

In his last three games he has 8 TD's, 1 INT, 999 Passing Yards and a 110.23 QB rating. This guy never ceases to amaze me.

Keep it going Brett.....let's make it 5-0!

The first 3 were a no-brainer to me. With Elway, Unitas, and Montana...you have the complete QB. They were the clear leader and face of the franchise as well as performing when it counted the most. The more I thought about these attributes, I thought. Farve belongs just as much in that list if not higher than he should be. While I haven't been a huge Farve fan, I can understand the love and pure excitement you must be seeing, watching this guy dominate like he is this year. Kinda reminds me of watching Yzerman in the 2001-2002 cup run. You knew the guy was past his prime but you still couldn't help but get chills just watching this guy play. Here is to the Pack making another divison title run and if the Pack should make the playoffs with the Lions not, I will root for Farve to win another Super Bowl.

The first 3 were a no-brainer to me. With Elway, Unitas, and Montana...you have the complete QB. They were the clear leader and face of the franchise as well as performing when it counted the most. The more I thought about these attributes, I thought. Farve belongs just as much in that list if not higher than he should be. While I haven't been a huge Farve fan, I can understand the love and pure excitement you must be seeing, watching this guy dominate like he is this year. Kinda reminds me of watching Yzerman in the 2001-2002 cup run. You knew the guy was past his prime but you still couldn't help but get chills just watching this guy play. Here is to the Pack making another divison title run and if the Pack should make the playoffs with the Lions not, I will root for Farve to win another Super Bowl.

You said it. He shares all of those qualities.

I don't like doing all-time rankings all that much because it's so hard. I never saw Unitas play. Montana had an absolutely ridiculous supporting cast, even though he did wonderful things with them and never really made a mistake. Marino never really had a running game. Favre had pedestrian receivers through his prime. Elway made like 6 Super Bowls, but didn't win until he had a ridiculous running back (and his team cheated the salary cap).

And I'm biased. Favre is my #1. He's the best I've ever seen. He's the most fun to watch. He's started every game since I was ten years old. And he's in the process of breaking every passing record despite likely never playing with a skilled-position player that will end up in the Hall of Fame.

So Favre is the best to me, but I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at anyone who thinks that a guy like Montana was better. I could make a pretty compelling case that Favre is/was better, but you could probably do the same the other way.

If he finds a way to pull out another ring, argument over. I won't even listen anymore.

But I can't even begin to describe what it's like to have a player like this playing for my team. Guys like Favre come around once in a generation, and to have him end up on my favorite team is pretty special. And I'm going to enjoy every second of it. This league is going to be much worse off when Favre retires...

You said it. He shares all of those qualities.

I don't like doing all-time rankings all that much because it's so hard. I never saw Unitas play. Montana had an absolutely ridiculous supporting cast, even though he did wonderful things with them and never really made a mistake. Marino never really had a running game. Favre had pedestrian receivers through his prime. Elway made like 6 Super Bowls, but didn't win until he had a ridiculous running back (and his team cheated the salary cap).

And I'm biased. Favre is my #1. He's the best I've ever seen. He's the most fun to watch. He's started every game since I was ten years old. And he's in the process of breaking every passing record despite likely never playing with a skilled-position player that will end up in the Hall of Fame.

So Favre is the best to me, but I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at anyone who thinks that a guy like Montana was better. I could make a pretty compelling case that Favre is/was better, but you could probably do the same the other way.

If he finds a way to pull out another ring, argument over. I won't even listen anymore.

But I can't even begin to describe what it's like to have a player like this playing for my team. Guys like Favre come around once in a generation, and to have him end up on my favorite team is pretty special. And I'm going to enjoy every second of it. This league is going to be much worse off when Favre retires...

You've summed up everything I was going to say. Timothy, if you want my thoughts, just reread this post word-for-word. I won't even waste your time repeating it.

Ugly, Choppy game, but we'll take the win. Our boys have a lot to work on during the bye week, but I'm ecstatic heading in 5-1. Before the season started, I would have been thrilled to be 3-3 heading into the bye.

You and me both, sir. I said before the year that if they were 4-4 after 8 games this was a playoff team. Well they're already one game better than that with 2 more winnable games before the midpoint. .500 football the rest of the way probably earns them a bye in the NFC and 4 out of 10 probably gets them to the playoffs.

That game against the Redskins was hairy, but I also think that two blatantly blown calls cost the Packers 11 points (Tauscher most definitely did not hold, and Bubba Franks was clearly pushed out of bounds on his would-be TD...and he still got 1 foot down and the other missed by about 2 inches). It wasn't a pretty game, but if the zebras get those calls right--the guy from Sirius radio on the NFL station called it the worst officiated game of the year--we win going away despite an off day from Favre.

The best part is that I don't think we've seen this team's best game yet. The running game hasn't produced (though in the five games we couldn't/didn't run the ball, we were facing 5 of the top 11 run defenses in the league...Chicago is like 26th and we put up over 100 on them without really trying), and the defense hasn't been nearly as good as I expected. Cullen Jenkins has been nicked up a bunch, which has limited his effectiveness and AJ Hawk has regressed from a year ago.

After the bye, we start playing some "easier" run defenses, in fact I believe Denver is last in the NFL against the run.

I also like that our main competition in the NFC seems to be Dallas, who has NO secondary (and the Packers are a pretty darn good passing team so that should be a nice matchup), and two teams we've already beaten in Washington and the Giants.

It ain't pretty, but they're getting the job done. The bye week comes at a good time. Hopefully they can get healthy (Jennings, Franks, Harris, Woodson, Jenkins, etc.) and we should find out tomorrow if we're going to get Koren Robinson back, which could be a BIG help to the return game if nothing else. He was a Pro Bowler at kick returner with the Vikings.

5-1 is a really nice mark, particularly since they've still got a lot of stuff that they should be able to improve on. I couldn't be happier.

Edited by Packer487

You and me both, sir. I said before the year that if they were 4-4 after 8 games this was a playoff team. Well they're already one game better than that with 2 more winnable games before the midpoint. .500 football the rest of the way probably earns them a bye in the NFC and 4 out of 10 probably gets them to the playoffs.

That game against the Redskins was hairy, but I also think that two blatantly blown calls cost the Packers 11 points (Tauscher most definitely did not hold, and Bubba Franks was clearly pushed out of bounds on his would-be TD...and he still got 1 foot down and the other missed by about 2 inches). It wasn't a pretty game, but if the zebras get those calls right--the guy from Sirius radio on the NFL station called it the worst officiated game of the year--we win going away despite an off day from Favre.

The best part is that I don't think we've seen this team's best game yet. The running game hasn't produced (though in the five games we couldn't/didn't run the ball, we were facing 5 of the top 11 run defenses in the league...Chicago is like 26th and we put up over 100 on them without really trying), and the defense hasn't been nearly as good as I expected. Cullen Jenkins has been nicked up a bunch, which has limited his effectiveness and AJ Hawk has regressed from a year ago.

After the bye, we start playing some "easier" run defenses, in fact I believe Denver is last in the NFL against the run.

I also like that our main competition in the NFC seems to be Dallas, who has NO secondary (and the Packers are a pretty darn good passing team so that should be a nice matchup), and two teams we've already beaten in Washington and the Giants.

It ain't pretty, but they're getting the job done. The bye week comes at a good time. Hopefully they can get healthy (Jennings, Franks, Harris, Woodson, Jenkins, etc.) and we should find out tomorrow if we're going to get Koren Robinson back, which could be a BIG help to the return game if nothing else. He was a Pro Bowler at kick returner with the Vikings.

5-1 is a really nice mark, particularly since they've still got a lot of stuff that they should be able to improve on. I couldn't be happier.

And he's back! This will help Jones greatly by taking a lot of the pressure off him.

Favre is God. Just so everyone is aware of that.

But there's probably 20-25 other QBs in the league who would've made that throw. :lol:

Seconded

Favre is God. Just so everyone is aware of that.

But there's probably 20-25 other QBs in the league who would've made that throw. :lol:

The only QB in the league right now that would think of doing that would be Brady due to his weapons. Other than that, 30 other QB's wouldn't have touched that play with a 10-foot stick.

:clap: To you Brett. You continue to amaze!

thought that i would get a bunch of cheeseheads commenting on last night's game. That Favre throw was sick. Easily one of the best touchdown passes he has ever thrown. Looks like turkey day at Ford Field is becoming a bigger and bigger game.

thought that i would get a bunch of cheeseheads commenting on last night's game. That Favre throw was sick. Easily one of the best touchdown passes he has ever thrown. Looks like turkey day at Ford Field is becoming a bigger and bigger game.

The Lions scare the sh*t out of me on Thanksgiving whether they're 5-2 or 2-5. I don't know if its because the game is nationally televised or something else, but no matter how good or bad they are they put up one hell of a fight on Turkey Day. Every single Thanksgiving I watch them play and its as if they're playing like its the Superbowl. Couple that with a team that has seemingly turned things around, and it will be a great battle (and an important one to boot).

GO PACK GO!

GO PACK GO!

IPB Image

That's SO cool. I've got a pumpkin here that I was thinking of doing something similar with, but my Lions fan gf wouldn't let me get away with that one. Then again she is out of town..... :D

Even if I can't get tickets, I gotta get up to GB for one of these games. If we host a playoff game, I'm driving up there and watching it at The View. I miss GB. It's been less than a year, but I'm getting the urge to get my butt up there!

Turkey Day is going to be a good one. The Lions haven't actually been all that good on Thanksgiving in recent years. I think they've lost 4 of 5--of course the win was against us. They've got a much-improved team, and the defense is playing better than I thought it would. I'm surprised they've only scored 8 touchdowns through the air....

Time for my weekly "Brett Favre is God" post. Seriously, this is just getting to be unreal. 7-1 at the halfway point?

It probably hasn't happened too many times in history that a team has beaten Denver in Denver and KC in KC in a 5 1/2 day span.

Brady will get most of the votes--because he is having an incredible season--but if the MVP award really goes to the player who is most important to his team, Favre's my (very biased) pick for MVP of the first half. What he's done, without the benefit of a running game, has been absolutely incredible.

Those slants and hooks have opened up the deep passing game. And Donald Lee's emergence (along with Ryan Grant giving us the slightest hint of a running game) have helped as well. Now with teams having to respect the deep ball (our last 6 TDs have been an average of 51 yards) the underneath stuff should open back up. Add in Koren Robinson and we've got 4 guys who can legitimately get deep on the DBs.

And how bout Greg Jennings? 6 TDs in 6 games since he's been back.

I'm really, really impressed....

Green Bay 2nd half will all depend on if they can run the ball effective enough to open up the deep stuff. I just think with the Packers luck so far, its gonna run out if they cannot develop the running game. Oh and keep it up with Greg Jennings...I have him on my fantasy football team. :lol:

Green Bay 2nd half will all depend on if they can run the ball effective enough to open up the deep stuff. I just think with the Packers luck so far, its gonna run out if they cannot develop the running game. Oh and keep it up with Greg Jennings...I have him on my fantasy football team. :lol:

Yup. It doesn't even have to be a running game that is in the top two-thirds of the league. They just need some semblance of a running game to take some of the pressure off. Even with that one good game against Denver, the Chiefs respected it enough that the play action passes were working.

The good news is that in their first 7 games, the Packers played just 1 run defense outside the top third of the league and they rushed pretty well on them (Chicago). San Diego might not be there any longer after what Peterson did to them, but they were there at last check! In the last 9 (including the game that was just played), they'll only see 2 run defenses ranked in the top half of the league (Minnesota and Dallas, both of whom they should be able to throw all over).

I'm excited to see what the offense will be able to do now that they've got Koren Robinson back and Donald Lee has shown he can get down the field.

this is the year that the pack finish 3rd or 4th with the Vikes....meaning....THE LIONS WILL FINISH 2ND...too bad that a 6-10 or 7-9 record would be worthy enough for 2nd place in this divison.

This isn't a rip timothy by any means, but how funny is it when the unexpected happens.

Green Bay 7-1

Detroit 6-2

Minnesota 3-5

Chicago 3-5

Sidenote: BTW, I agree that the Lions will finish second. :D

Sidenote 2: I won't even bother quoting all the Favre bashing. I would hope all those that doubted would be cowering in shame.