• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

2007 Green Bay Packers Thread

Rate this topic

Why do I hate the 'Canes? Thugginest college football team in the country is why. Miami has strutted around trash talking and thumping their chest and getting in trouble for 20 years now. Showing up in fatigues to the Fiesta Bowl. Major scandals in the 90s. 7th Floor Crew. FIU brawl. And plenty of "characters" like Kellen Winslow, Jeremy Shockey, Sean Taylor, Michael Irvin.

Forgot other characters like Clinton Portis, Willis MaGahee, Warren Sapp, and Ray Lewis. I agree though I hate "Da U" as much as you...

As usual, I'll be rooting against whatever team is playing the Packers. Giants fan for the week. But if Favre promises to retire upon winning the Super Bowl, I'll switch up allegiances.

Doesn't that mean you're rooting for the Packers?

That was a great game on Sunday. Although I don't care for the Packers much, I respect their team, and most of all, Brett Farve and his accomplishments on the field. I was pleased to see the Giants won, but still was very sad to see how disappointed Farve was after he threw that interception and watched him walk back in the lockerroom in utter disbelief.

There's no word on whether or not Farve is going to retire, but honestly, the way he played all throughout this season, I won't be surprised he plays one more season with the Packers. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Til there's definite word from Favre himself that he'll retire, and by definite I mean it's opening day and somebody in a different number is under center, I assume he'll be back.

I agree. I'm getting sick of this story...it's been going on for 4 years now.

i agree. The choke artist, er #4 should retire. :lol:

Anyone seen all of the Packers fans like NFM#25 or Packer487 lately? They vanished from this thread after the final whistle on sunday.

It was a rough end to the season, no doubt, and I'm beyond disappointed, but it's hard to be upset about a 13-3 season that led to an appearance in the NFC Championship game. When I think back to what the expectations were before the year, and how everyone seemed to think this was a team without much talent, with a shell-of-his-former-self QB, destined to fight it out for last place in the NFC North, it's hard to say that this season wasn't a success.

It doesn't make the loss any easier, particularly since we were favored by a touchdown at home against a team we smoked earlier in the year, but it's still farther than most anyone thought this team would go.

I've kind of likened it to the Tigers from a couple years back. Should they have won the World Series? Probably. Could any Tigers fan be unhappy with the way that year went? No. No one expected them to make it that far, then they were on the cusp and couldn't pull it off. But that wasn't supposed to be "their year". Just like how the Packers were supposed to be a year or two away from seriously contender.

It's a missed opportunity though, no doubt. And the problem with missed opportunities even when it's not supposed to be "your year" is that you never know if the season that IS supposed to be "your year" will go as planned.

But, it's pretty clear that the rebuilding is over and this team is back in the conversation. I have no doubts that Favre will return next year (then again, I also had no doubt that they would lose this weekend--and I was 99% sure he was retiring after last year), and one of the youngest teams in football will have a deep playoff run under their belt. Ted Thompson has $25 million in cap space to work with ($35 million if Favre retires). They have almost no free agents of their own to worry about. And I fully expect that next year they'll be right back in the picture.

TT has done a phenomenal job rebuilding this team. They're a young group, and it's entirely possible that this team just wasn't ready to win yet. This season was a huge step in the right direction, and with a couple of FA signings supplementing the improvement that the youngsters will hopefully show, the improvement that the young coaching staff will hopefully show, another draft, and the experience that this season provided, I'm looking forward to seeing what the future has in store for this team.

And to "mess back" with Timothy, enjoy Year 8 of the rebuilding process next year ;)

And to "mess back" with Timothy, enjoy Year 8 of the rebuilding process next year ;)

Only 8?? Come on the Lions have been rebuilding since 1957, when they last won a championship. :lol:

Great season by the Packers and it will be interesting to see what this team does in the offseason to try and get over that hump.

i agree. The choke artist, er #4 should retire. :lol:

Anyone seen all of the Packers fans like NFM#25 or Packer487 lately? They vanished from this thread after the final whistle on sunday.

I'm still here, and couldn't be more proud of this team, including Brett Favre. Anyone that trivializes Favre after one poor throw (regardless of the outcome of it) after the season he had is ignorant. I'm not defending the throw, but he is human after all.

BTW, the sports experts had the Packers ranked at 27th out of the 32 teams this year and they finished 14-4 and one game out of the Superbowl. Again, tough to complain about.

Now I'm not going to get in petty Lions-Packers rips, but I will say that the Packers have definitely turned the corner, and are only going to be that much better next season. Teams like the Patriots, while not old aren't exactly young either. The Packers are the youngest team in the league, and pretty much everyone will be back. Like we talked about last Wings offseason, this experience for the young players will be huge next season, and the Packers look solid for years to come given the team age/RFA status.

Thanks Packers for a great season, and I here's hoping we take the big one next year.

Oh yeah, you know Favre's coming back now.......sorry NFC North. :D

But its ok for a guy like Yzerman....right?

The point is, you wouldn't be saying it if a guy like Favre was on the Lions.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I'm still here, and couldn't be more proud of this team, including Brett Favre. Anyone that trivializes Favre after one poor throw (regardless of the outcome of it) after the season he had is ignorant. I'm not defending the throw, but he is human after all.

BTW, the sports experts had the Packers ranked at 27th out of the 32 teams this year and they finished 14-4 and one game out of the Superbowl. Again, tough to complain about.

Now I'm not going to get in petty Lions-Packers rips, but I will say that the Packers have definitely turned the corner, and are only going to be that much better next season. Teams like the Patriots, while not old aren't exactly young either. The Packers are the youngest team in the league, and pretty much everyone will be back. Like we talked about last Wings offseason, this experience for the young players will be huge next season, and the Packers look solid for years to come given the team age/RFA status.

Thanks Packers for a great season, and I here's hoping we take the big one next year.

Oh yeah, you know Favre's coming back now.......sorry NFC North. :D

The big thing that the Packers have going for them & what they always have had since #4 joined the team is good scouting of talent. Their current team has 2 of the best defensive lineman in KGB and Kampman, both players were selected in the 5th round. They also have 3 leaders that they practically got from the scrap heap in trades with Ryan Grant, Atari Bigby, and #4. Lot of it is luck, lot of it is good scouting. Being right on the doorstep and not getting in to the big game can sometimes be the worst position for a team. They want to tweak the team to get their but a lot of teams make too many moves or change what got them their and take steps back. Look at last year's Chicago-New Orleans NFC championship game as example.

The big thing that the Packers have going for them & what they always have had since #4 joined the team is good scouting of talent. Their current team has 2 of the best defensive lineman in KGB and Kampman, both players were selected in the 5th round. They also have 3 leaders that they practically got from the scrap heap in trades with Ryan Grant, Atari Bigby, and #4. Lot of it is luck, lot of it is good scouting. Being right on the doorstep and not getting in to the big game can sometimes be the worst position for a team. They want to tweak the team to get their but a lot of teams make too many moves or change what got them their and take steps back. Look at last year's Chicago-New Orleans NFC championship game as example.

I'll assume you're referring to the Saints here, so I'll address that. The big difference here though is the age of this years Packers compared to last years Saints. While the Saints weren't old, they weren't that young either (if I recall correctly). The Packers won't move too many players because there's no need to given the teams age. What they'll probably do is add a couple players and try to lock up as many RFA's as they can long term.

I'll assume you're referring to the Saints here, so I'll address that. The big difference here though is the age of this years Packers compared to last years Saints. While the Saints weren't old, they weren't that young either (if I recall correctly). The Packers won't move too many players because there's no need to given the teams age. What they'll probably do is add a couple players and try to lock up as many RFA's as they can long term.

they are gonna have to. The 2004 Falcons, 2005 Panthers, 2006 Saints all missed the playoffs the next year after losing in the NFC championship.

I'm still here, and couldn't be more proud of this team, including Brett Favre. Anyone that trivializes Favre after one poor throw (regardless of the outcome of it) after the season he had is ignorant. I'm not defending the throw, but he is human after all

Yeah, you know Bill Simmons was just waiting to rip him in a column. I love reading that guy, but he really lets his New England bias shine through (especially when he talks about the Pistons or Favre---don't know what he has against him...must be that he knocked off the Pats in SB XXXI).

The funny thing is, that pass in OT that got picked off wasn't Favre being a gunslinger or swashbuckler, or whatever they like to call him. It wasn't a pass he chucked up for grabs when he was under pressure. Driver was open, he just made a bad throw. I imagine it slipped out of his hand. This first pick? That was the gunslinger--but the guy fumbled it right back luckily.

Whatever, he had a helluva year and I fully expect him back next year to take another run at this thing.

There were a lot of issues in that game that hurt us more than Favre's performance. Harris couldn't cover Burress for crap. We couldn't open any running lanes for Grant. Jennings was completely invisible. They didn't get a whole lot of pressure on Manning. Hawk missed some huge tackles. Bush tried to pick up a fumble and run with it instead of just falling on the damn thing. The Giants seemed to get to the 35 on every kickoff. They took dumbass penalties on third downs (though I will say the illegal contact call that wiped out Harris's pick was GARBAGE-he hit him right at the 5 yard marker and any other contact was initiated by the WR). Brandon Jackson stayed too close to his blockers on the screen pass allowing Pierce (Pearce?) to make the play of the game. If he's another yard to his left, he has a TD and we probably win. McCarthy didn't call a great game (should've helped Harris out a little, too many screens when only one had the potential to work, didn't find any ways to adjust to what NY was doing).

That was about Green Bay's C- game. But I give the Giants a ton of credit. They brought it 3 times on the road and won in two of the toughest places to play in the NFL. Manning played a great game, Burress was huge for them, their corners stepped up despite being injured (notice that LDT?), and they played a really disciplined game on defense apart from that Madison personal foul. And unlike the Packers, they played their best (or close to it) in the biggest game of the year. I'm more disappointed than I am upset, because I really think the Packers win that game 8 out of 10 and that they could've given NE a game. But they don't play the games on paper, so best of luck to the Giants. Go get a win and bring it back to the NFC. I don't expect it to happen, but I also didn't give the Giants a chance in hell of beating GB or Dallas.

This is why I love having a top-notch GM. Deshawn Jackson, Devin Thomas (when we were picking 30th), Sweed, Doucet...all these "name" WRs can be on the board, he can nab a white guy from KState and I still have no doubt that he picked the right guy. It amazes me that people at the Packers Draft Party can get upset about TT picks after what he's done for this team. I want to know how many of those people who were booing also booed the Jennings pick a couple years ago, since we traded out of the pick that was used on Chad Jackson. I love TT.

I'm a huge fan of the draft so far. I don't know much about Nelson, but he was very productive in college this year (122 catches, 1,600+ yards, 11 Tds), he's got great size, he's got speed, he looks like a good route runner, and he absolutely TORCHED Talib from Kansas when they played this year. Always a good sign when he fares well against top competition. Also seems like he could help on special teams.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Brohm pick. Like Rodgers, this was another kid that was at one time thought of as the likely #1 pick in his draft. He had a down year this year due to a s***ty offensive line, some injury problems, and a jackass coach, but he was fantastic his first three years. I was born in Louisville and my mom went there, so I follow their team pretty closely. The only concern is that Louisville has had a few good QBs (Redman, Ragone) and none of them have really panned out. Brohm seems like a perfect fit for our offense. I wouldn't have been overly thrilled if we had taken him at 30 (before we traded the pick) or 36, but at 56 he was an absolute steal. I'm shocked that Chicago passed on both he and Henne to reach for a RB. Brohm is a great insurance plan in case Rodgers struggles or gets injured (the latter of which wouldn't be remotely shocking). With the way the Lions, Vikings, and Bears have struggled to find QBs, I love that we took another top prospect just in case.

Then they filled a need with a corner that I don't know much about. Good size, good speed and he sounds like he's more than willing to get his nose dirty and get in WR faces. We really needed to draft a corner since Harris and Woodson are getting up there and we could definitely stand to replace Bush. Hopefully they got themselves a good one.

In TT I trust! Did I mention I love that we got Brian Brohm?