• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsfan40

Wings choose Generals to substitute for Storm

Rate this topic

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2007/08/wi...int_genera.html

The Detroit Red Wings' ECHL affiliate, the Toledo Storm, has ceased operations for the next two years as they're building a new arena. The IHL's Flint Generals, whose owners include Kris Draper, smartly stepped up and negotiated an affiliation agreement with the Red Wings and Atlanta Thrashers, who will help legitimize the double-A league

I didnt know Draps was a part owner of a hockey team.

Hopefully the agreement works out good for everyone :clap:

I think its funny that a team would cease operations for 2 years while they build an arena... :lol:

Next up Red Wings to fold after this season while they build a new arena... I love it!

Edited by OsGOD

I think its funny that a team would cease operations for 2 years while they build an arena... :lol:

Next up Red Wings to fold after this season while they build a new arena... I love it!

:lol: That is funny

Sadly enough I grew up going to Storm games and while its got ice, sticks, and nets there isn't a lot of talent in that league, it barely qualifies as hockey. It's more like a fight league than anything else, so if they disappear for a couple years nobody would miss them much, which they probably figured.

Edited by #19forPresident!

I saw this in the paper today and i'm sooooooooooooooooooo happy about the wings and the generals doing this! I've been waiting for Flint to get an affiliate again since the Vipers / old IHL folded, and now it's freakin Detroit, so when I go to games I get to see young talent develop :lol:

Sadly enough I grew up going to Storm games and while its got ice, sticks, and nets there isn't a lot of talent in that league, it barely qualifies as hockey. It's more like a fight league than anything else, so if they disappear for a couple years nobody would miss them much, which they probably figured.

Are you talking about the Charleston chiefs or the Storm?

I never thought the ECHL was as bad as people made it out to be. I thought they had decent talent in that league. They seemed to produce some NHL goalies like Manny.

They're not building their new arena in the same spot as the old one, but they are tearing down the old one before the new one is built. Apparently they are opening up that land for development of some sort of "Marina District". I've been in that old arena before. It was a dump. They had an old school Zamboni much like the one that was (or is) at the Hockeytown Cafe a few weeks ago under a canopy.

And what is this new IHL that they're talking about? What happened to the UHL? Isn't that where the Generals were at before?

Edited by BAFGA

I never thought the ECHL was as bad as people made it out to be. I thought they had decent talent in that league. They seemed to produce some NHL goalies like Manny.

They're not building their new arena in the same spot as the old one, but they are tearing down the old one before the new one is built. Apparently they are opening up that land for development of some sort of "Marina District". I've been in that old arena before. It was a dump. They had an old school Zamboni much like the one that was (or is) at the Hockeytown Cafe a few weeks ago under a canopy.

And what is this new IHL that they're talking about? What happened to the UHL? Isn't that where the Generals were at before?

Many who liked early 90s NHL hockey are moving over to watch the ECHL games. Perfer it to the AHL myself but that's just me.

What happened to the UHL? Isn't that where the Generals were at before?
The UHL contracted to 6 teams after the end of last season. One of the remaining teams is the Ft. Wayne Komets. Their owners, The Frakes family, bought the assets of the IHL when it folded in 2001. So a decision was made to "re-brand" the league and make it a mid-western based AA league, and upon agreement with the Frakes', using the more familiar "IHL" name in an effort to revive the league's fortunes. Edited by Gizmo

Still wish they'd make the K-Wings their farm team, I mean...we're already Wings fans >.>

lol, well during the lock-out the Gens had Jason Woolley, so it was already like a farm team :P