• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
isbister

2008 Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

I know this is really early to discuss, but its always fun to think about. Come trade deadline, who do think will become a Wing? Be realistic... Try to stay away from playstation trades. Think about good players on non contending teams.

Micheal Ryder and Micheal Peca. Neither one will cost alot, and we have room for them. Oh, and John Erksine for some gritty depth.

Henrik Zetterberg-Pavel Datsyuk-Tomas Holmstrom

Jiri Hudler/Igor Grigerenko-Val Filpula-Micheal Ryder

Dan Cleary-Johan Franzen-Kris Draper

Kirk Maltby-Micheal Peca-Dallas Drake

Nick Lidstrom-Brent Sopel

Brian Rafalski-Niklas Kronwall

Chris Chelios-Brett Lebda/John Erksine

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

I don't think the Leafs are going to be out of the playoff race by the trade deadline.

Awww cute. :lol: You're like a Blackhawks fan but your predictions stand a far better chance of coming true.

Face it dude- until you guys get JF jr. out of office that team will have a big ass dead albatross hanging around its neck.

Awww cute. :lol: You're like a Blackhawks fan but your predictions stand a far better chance of coming true.

Face it dude- until you guys get JF jr. out of office that team will have a big ass dead albatross hanging around its neck.

Toronto will make the playoffs this year... if the team stay's healthy

Toronto will make the playoffs this year... if the team stay's healthy

I dunno... to quote the Hockey News on this subject:

"In an effort to get back into the playoffs, the Leafs made two major moves. ...But the last time we checked, Bryan McCabe and Pavel Kubina were still playing defense for them.

Much was made of how shaky Raycroft was last season, but few people mention that when the Leafs needed him most, Mats Sundin had one goal in his final 20 games.

For all their changes, the Leafs are still to porous defensively to be taken seriously and with Sundin, Darcy Tucker, Blake and McCabe on the power play, they have too many shooters and not enough passers.

THN SAYS The ice will be coming out of the Air Canada Centre the morning of April 6."

That analysis sounds pretty accurate to me. Although I don't think the Leafs will have much trouble on the PP, their PK will blow chunks.

I see the same problem on the Leafs that I do on the Pens- piss poor D.

Will the Leafs make it to the playoffs? Maybe- I wouldn't be too surprised, but I would be equally unsurprised if the missed them.

Regardless, if the Leafs miss the playoffs it might be the best thing for them because they'll likely be able to dump JF jr. once they break the "never missed more then two consecutive playoffs" record.

The PP won't be an issue. Even though Sundin is apparently a shooter, he'll pass 7 times out of 10, rather than take the shot. Tomas Kaberle has a no-shoot clause in his contract.

People seem to think that it was the Leafs D that let them down last year, it wasn't. They gave up the 8th-fewest shots in the league, but gave up the 5th-most goals. Ultimately, you have to look between the pipes for the explanation. Raycroft was, for the most part, highly ineffective (to put it nicely).

I think Toskala will step the goaltending up a notch or two, especially if Raycroft stays to push him for the #1 spot.

That said, it's up to the kids (Colaiacovo, White & Stralman) on the back end to step up. They're the ones that can make the difference. Kaberle can usually cover up for McCabe's mistakes, but they need the kids to step up so that they can push a guy like Kubina's minutes back to around 17-20 per game.

Up front, they need a healthy season from Kyle Wellwood (he can provide 80 points as long as he gets some decent powerplay time) and they need Alex Steen to bounce back.

I think they'll make the playoffs, probably 7th seed or so.

Blake - Sundin - Antropov

Tucker - Wellwood - Ponikarovsky

Steen - Stajan - Devereaux

Kilger - Williams/Bell - Battaglia

Belak

McCabe - Kaberle

Colaiacovo - Kubina

Stralman/White - Gill

Wozniewski/Kronwall

Toskala

Raycroft

Edited by MacK_Attack