• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
theman19

Buffalo fans are having delusions of grandeur

Rate this topic

It's just a blip in spectors soapbox article on the sabers reversal of fortunes but this disturbed me a bit.

"The future seems so bright for the Sabres and their fans that some are even daring to suggest that Buffalo has supplanted Detroit as "Hockeytown USA"."

Um,....excuse me why i now first vomit,...then laugh myself into hysterics. Are you freaking kidding me with this? Uhhh hey sabers,....

A.You need some championships to be Hockeytown,..last count you have none, you havn't even had an eastern conference championship since 1999

B. Our Uniform is one of the most respected, not only in the nhl, but in sports as whole. Yours,...is nicknamed the "buffalo slug".

C. We'd have sucked too if Yzerman, and Lidstrom thought so much of our organization that they ddidn't even try to resign with our club. HELLO! both your co captains left your team,...that shows alot folks

D. Your GM is a soulless automatron. We payed ever cent of Jiri Fishers salary, how could you suspened a guy who's been loyal to your team for being sick. It's business? No it's classless

E. We may rise or fall, whichever we'll still be the Detroit Redwings, the most successful American Hockey team in NHL history. You have 10 cups and a bunch of presidents trophys to go before you catch up.

now obviously, this is all tounge in cheek, i'm sure the majority of sabers fans wouldn't go that far. But,.....i mean,..common folks.

Edited by theman19

Yeah, ESPN and TSN say this s*** all the time and its bull. Buffalo did nothing to become hockey town, may as well call Atlanta or Minnesota Hockeytown since were throwing it out so freely.

Buffalo probably wont even make the playoffs this year, they dont have a captain, and there best player is getting open heart surgery.

We are and will always be hockey town, a bunch of sabres fans doesnt make the Sabres "Hockeytown"

Its because they have a great fan base right now.

Exactly. Their fans are rabid for the Sabres now. I think it's a good hockeytown but we have to remember that it was only a few short years ago this team almost folded because of financial instability and poor attendance.

I'm a homer so I'll always say that the Wings are hockeytown USA, but if anyone else deserves it after the Wings I could pick a lot more teams than Buffalo. Off the top of my head:

Philly, New York, Minnesota (the whole state loves their college hockey and have embrassed the Wild), Chicago.

I know that some would laugh over my inclusion of the Windy City, but I think it should be noted that the Wolves do very well there and the low attendance at Hawks games has a lot more to do with the fans disgust with team ownership.

If you put an owner in Chicago that was as dedicated as Illitch the city would be reborn.

As far as how well the team will do, I'm going to go on a limb and say that they make the playoffs and have potential to make some noise.

I know they lost Briere and Drury, but Derek Roy is on the verge of exploding as a top NHL centre. And if Connolly can finally stay healthy he could easily top 90 points himself. And I don't even have to mention Ryan Miller. That kid can steal 20 games all on his own.

Those are big if's, but they have a very bright future there. Vanek will only get better, Afiniganov is a mini-Bure thanks to the new rules and Stafford is on the verge of blowing up as well.

This team will have to work hard to make the playoffs but finishing in the top 5 in the Eastern Conference wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by Hank

As a Wings fan transplanted to Buffalo (courtesy of the US Navy), let me correct you on several things:

- grandeur, not grandure

- you will never see a quarter of the empty seats here at HSBC Arena compared to what we've seen at the Joe (and the economy here sucks, too) not only during the regular season, but in the playoffs... at least for now. We're very lucky we've been so successful for well over a decade, and couldn't agree more about the management: Detroit's is so far superior, it isn't funny...

... again, we're very lucky. Spoiled, even.

In terms of the Sabres having great fans right now, is that really the case? Aren't half the fans that go to the games from Ontario?

In terms of being annointed Hockeytown, it's not like the Wings were named Hockeytown anyway, it's just a marketing gimmick the organization came up with. Probably shouldn't take it so seriously.

Winged Scooter is correct. The 3rd jerseys last season were a much bigger hit than the slugs.

No, half the fans are not in Ontario, but there are Sabres fans in Ontario that boo the Leafs, and that is a beautiful thing.

Winged Scooter is correct. The 3rd jerseys last season were a much bigger hit than the slugs.

No, half the fans are not in Ontario, but there are Sabres fans in Ontario that boo the Leafs, and that is a beautiful thing.

They way the Leafs have been the past 10 years, don't their OWN fans boo them too? :lol:

Um,....excuse me why i now first vomit,...then laugh myself into hysterics. Are you freaking kidding me with this? Uhhh hey sabers,....

Detroit isn't Hockeytown, whether you like it or not. Basketball, baseball, and football will ALWAYS take precedence given that the team isn't a complete joke.

Buffalo fans are more rabid than Detroit fans post-lockout, it's extremely easy to see that.

Hockeytown is just a bulls*** marketing ploy anyway. It works too, because every year you have people arguing one way or the other about it.

Also, just for information - Numminen is going to be treated extremely well. That "suspension" is only so that Buffalo can skim some money off the top, which is the only way to go about things in the salary cap era. The jersey notion is equally ridiculous too, seeing as how Anaheim has horrible jerseys and yet they lifted the Cup this past June.

Do Buffalo fans realize that Hockeytown is not just in the city of Detroit or just in Michigan but pretty much were hockey is played, simply stated a Wings fan is a member of Hockeytown and as we all know the Wings have one of the largest fan bases in the NHL from pole to pole and East to West the Wings fans are the best. Proud resident of Hockeytown

Detroit isn't Hockeytown, whether you like it or not. Basketball, baseball, and football will ALWAYS take precedence given that the team isn't a complete joke.

Buffalo fans are more rabid than Detroit fans post-lockout, it's extremely easy to see that.

Hockeytown is just a bulls*** marketing ploy anyway. It works too, because every year you have people arguing one way or the other about it.

Also, just for information - Numminen is going to be treated extremely well. That "suspension" is only so that Buffalo can skim some money off the top, which is the only way to go about things in the salary cap era. The jersey notion is equally ridiculous too, seeing as how Anaheim has horrible jerseys and yet they lifted the Cup this past June.

it'll be extremely easy to see if they're still rabid after they tank. This team almost went bankrupt after going to the stanley cup finals in 99. a two season revival doesn't impress me. If they sucks this year and people are still rabid next year, then i'll be impressed. You wanna drink the cool aid on numminen that's fine. They're arn't taking care of him and they arn't paying his salary.

How your jesery looks has nothing to do with winning championships as you've pointed out. But your jersey is still ugly as sin.

Also, you're really going to say all that, and not admit that if the bills stopped sucking buffalo wouldn't go back to being a football town? Try again.

We're all aware that if the lions ever won a championship Detroit would love football again, don't be hypocritical.

Edited by theman19

Um. I've actually been wondering - how old is this "Hockeytown" label? Oh and personally I care not at all about those three sports but yeah I don't actually live in Detroit nor even in the US so why does that matter... :scared:

Byah! Good for you guys. I'll be honest, the more support the game gets, the better. But I'll tell you what, Detroit has such good fans that the owner can afford to more or less ignore them... :ph34r:

No it isn't but on the other hand I don't really care. Detroit has been the most successful team in the US - even the NHL total - in recent history so it isn't a stretch to call it Hockeytown. Every year - for the past, what, 15 years? - Detroit has been a challenger for the Cup, at least before the start of the playoffs :D.

Also, just for information - Numminen is going to be treated extremely well. That "suspension" is only so that Buffalo can skim some money off the top, which is the only way to go about things in the salary cap era.

It might actually just be what you say it is but the fact is - no matter how you turn it around - it looks ugly. Especially considering other teams manage to do without this suspension. Fernando Pisani is in a similar situation isn't he?

The jersey notion is equally ridiculous too, seeing as how Anaheim has horrible jerseys and yet they lifted the Cup this past June.

I'm sorry but while the color scheme is really great - the slug comments are quite justifiable, if it was my team I'd be cranky. The old jerseys from back in the day - weren't they the 3rd jersey last season? - are amazing and one of my all-time favorites.

I'm all for fans being rabid and biased towards their team. It's something that the league needs more of. As for all this talk about hockeytown, I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I don't think that 5 years from now anyone will constantly refer to Detroit as hockeytown. Hockey isn't as big now as it was in the mid 90's, and the Wings don't have the same popular superstars like Yzerman, Feds, and Shanny. Also, the Tigers and Pistons are more popular in Detroit now then they were 10 years ago.

It's just a blip in spectors soapbox article on the sabers reversal of fortunes but this disturbed me a bit.

"The future seems so bright for the Sabres and their fans that some are even daring to suggest that Buffalo has supplanted Detroit as "Hockeytown USA"."

A.You need some championships to be Hockeytown,..last count you have none, you havn't even had an eastern conference championship since 1999

B. Our Uniform is one of the most respected, not only in the nhl, but in sports as whole. Yours,...is nicknamed the "buffalo slug".

C. We'd have sucked too if Yzerman, and Lidstrom thought so much of our organization that they ddidn't even try to resign with our club. HELLO! both your co captains left your team,...that shows alot folks

D. Your GM is a soulless automatron. We payed ever cent of Jiri Fishers salary, how could you suspened a guy who's been loyal to your team for being sick. It's business? No it's classless

E. We may rise or fall, whichever we'll still be the Detroit Redwings, the most successful American Hockey team in NHL history. You have 10 cups and a bunch of presidents trophys to go before you catch up.

now obviously, this is all tounge in cheek, i'm sure the majority of sabers fans wouldn't go that far. But,.....i mean,..common folks.

:clap:

- you will never see a quarter of the empty seats here at HSBC Arena compared to what we've seen at the Joe (and the economy here sucks, too) not only during the regular season, but in the playoffs... at least for now.

Now to be fair once again as with the mighty phucks claims about selling out... HSBC only holds 18,690. The JLA holds 20,066 thats about 1,376 seats more they have to sell to get a sell out than the slug turds... so of course it would be easier to sell out the games. Which we have still sold out regular season games on a constant basis... this season is yet to tell for any team. Preseason is not a gauge as most people who can afford to go during the season don't give a rats ass about seeing scrubs out there so they just don't go. If I had some free time, and some extra cash, I would love to go down to check out a game for preseason, but personally I would rather spend my money when the games count.

But anywho less seats = more accessible sellouts.

Um. I've actually been wondering - how old is this "Hockeytown" label?

It was after one of the cups either 97 or 98.. Bettman said it before he handed Yzie the cup. So its relatively young.

Edited by OsGOD

Guest jaytan

Yeah, ESPN and TSN say this s*** all the time and its bull. Buffalo did nothing to become hockey town, may as well call Atlanta or Minnesota Hockeytown since were throwing it out so freely.

Technically, Minnesota isn't a town, but it has declared itself to be the State of Hockey. They even have an anthem. Of course, since Minnesota produces the best American hockey players, I can't really argue with 'em.

I'm a Wings fan, so Buffalo isn't my team nor do I live there.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what team is better. Who gives a s*** about the label? It's not even about what team is better, it's just a marketing ploy.

The whole idea is that Detroit isn't the be all end all of hockey and several cities can argue that. Being indignant because someone questions a stupid label is equally stupid.

Now to be fair once again as with the mighty phucks claims about selling out... HSBC only holds 18,690. The JLA holds 20,066 thats about 1,376 seats more they have to sell to get a sell out than the slug turds... so of course it would be easier to sell out the games.

There were far more than 1,376 empty seats at the Joe per game last season, and you could tell just looking at it on television. We had the debate about corporations buying out tickets and people just not going.

There were far more than 1,376 empty seats at the Joe per game last season, and you could tell just looking at it on television. We had the debate about corporations buying out tickets and people just not going.

Doesnt matter whether or not those seats are empty where attendance is concerned. If somebody was willing to pay the money for those seats, whether their asses are in them or not, is in it of itself a representation of the support of the team.

HSBC only holds 18,690. The JLA holds 20,066 thats about 1,376 seats more they have to sell to get a sell out than the slug turds... so of course it would be easier to sell out the games.

But anywho less seats = more accessible sellouts.

True, but the Buffalo are is also 1/3 the population on the Detroit area. (Including Windsor)

... but the emptiness of the Joe has been beaten to death recently. I just wish it was louder there compared to a decade ago.

but back to the thread topic... Hockeytown is about the only successful marketing to come out of the Wings org. since they were giving away cars.

Edited by vangvace