• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

Which active player will have his jersey retired?

Rate this topic

What about Olli Jokinen with the Panthers? He doesn't get much press down there in Florida, but he is breaking every record down there in no time at all. At this rate, I will add him to my list.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

About Crosby, hes from Canada, where its easier to get the NHL's attention whereas Z and Dats were in Europe where only a few teams have scouts and the ability to draw the players away from their countries leagues and teams. Crosby isn't the next 99 or 9 PERIOD. I don't care how good he is, Gretzky had 301 pts and was +56, Crosby 222 pts and is only +4, 99 had 106 goals Crosby has 76, AND the NHL didn't have all these stupid penalties that they have now. Understand? hes not special, hes great, but not special. I can argue all night long that, I mean hell, for his goal scoring ability hes on Yzerman's level, (compare both of them in the first 2 years) granted, but hes no great one.

Crosby's numbers during his 1st two years are better than Gretzky's during his first two years. Oh wait, no they weren't, they were pretty close though. .Crosby was the youngest player to hit 100 pts, I think the youngest to reach 200 points, etc. I think the youngest to win an Art Ross trophy and Hart. ?? You're about the only person on this planet that doesn't think that Sidney Crosby is special. That right there alone makes you special. As in special education. Seriously, wherever you spawned from, go back there and rethink things threw before you make an ass out of yourself.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

If players were to retire today, I'd consider all these possibilities...

- Mark Recchi with the Flyers

Recchi played what, 4 years for the Flyers? Not happening.

- Paul Kariya with the Ducks

Kariya will never be retire by teh Ducks...he was over paid, and they offered him a small pay cut so they could bring back Selanne. He instead chose to take a much larger pay cut to play with Selanne in Colorado.

- Saku Koivu with the Habs

Possible.

- Rob Blake with the Kings

Blake had a couple good seasons, but hardly anything worthy of jersey retirement.

- Markus Naslund with the Canucks

- Brodeur with the Devils

- Sakic with the Avs

- Selanne with the Ducks

These are no-brainers. Each is the franchise's greatest player ever.

- Ryan Smyth with the Oilers

Smyth wasn't good enough to warrant it if he HADN'T left town over pennies.

- Sundin with the Leafs

- Lidstrom with the Wings

- Modano with the Stars

- Alfredsson with the Sens

Hard to argue against any of these four guys.

I can see Draper getting his number raised when he retires.

Draper is a career third liner. His number will NEVER be raised, and the mere THOUGHT of such things is ******* stupid.

(I'll also try to include great players who have yet to reach the rafters of their respective teams)

Anaheim

8 - Teemu Selanne

Atlanta

None

Boston

None

Buffalo

39 - Dominik Hasek

Calgary

12 - Jarome Iginla

Carolina

17 - Rod Brind'Amour

Chicago

7 - Chris Chelios

30 - Ed Belfour

Colorado

19 - Joe Sakic

21 - Peter Forsberg

Columbus

None

Dallas

9 - Mike Modano

20 - Ed Belfour

Detroit

5 - Nick Lidstrom

Edmonton

94 - Ryan Smyth

Los Angeles

4 - Rob Blake

Minnesota

None

Montreal

11 - Saku Koivu

19 - Larry Robinson

22 - Steve Shutt

23 - Bob Gainey

33 - Patrick Roy

Nashville

None

New Jersey

27 - Scott Niedermayer

30 - Martin Brodeur

NY Islanders

None

NY Rangers

2 - Brian Leetch* (Will be retired later this year)

Ottawa

11 - Daniel Alfredsson

Philadelphia

10 - John LeClair

Phoenix

None

Pittsburgh

68 - Jaromir Jagr

87 - Sidney Crosby (Face it, he saved the franchise, even if he left tomorrow, they'd retire his jersey)

San Jose

None

St. Louis

44 - Chris Pronger

Tampa Bay

4 - Vincent Lecavalier

Toronto*

17 - Wendel Clark

93 - Doug Gilmour

13 - Mats Sundin

* Honouring of jersey

Vancouver

16 - Trevor Linden

19 - Markus Naslund

Washington

12 - Peter Bondra

37 - Olaf Kolzig

If the Flyers were to consider LeClair, why not Lindros? He was the guy who made Johnny LeClair

The circumstances of his departure, mainly. That, and Bobby Clarke still has way too much pull in that organization.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Ah, that's true. Just was thinking, did they retire Hextall's number? or Bobby Clarke? Im not completely sure.

As far as I know, the Flyers have only retired four numbers....

1 - Bernie Parent

4 - Barry Ashbee

7 - Bill Barber

16 - Bobby Clarke.

I can see Draper getting his number raised when he retires.

Take that back.....you should make it clear that you were just joking

Recchi played what, 4 years for the Flyers? Not happening.

He's played 10 years for the Flyers (7 full season and parts of 3 others). But still, I don't think i'ts happening.

i highly doubt that feds will be retired here...unless he comes back and does some astonishing s***, i could see zetterberg being retired and maybe dats if they stay here for their entire career. thatd be a site the 2 production lines next to eachother up in the rafters

Mark Recchi, Koivu, Blake, Cheli, and Smyth are not going to happen anywhere.

Chicago is still to bitter at Cheli for it to happen. If Koivu didnt spend his career in Montreal (where they r running short of numbers) i'd say he'd have a shot at it.

How can a team be running short of numbers? If I remember correctly, numbers never end. At some point, maybe after we are long gone, teams will have to go into the triple digits.

i highly doubt that feds will be retired here...unless he comes back and does some astonishing s***

Like help win us seven consecutive Stanley Cups (2003-'10)

Take that back.....you should make it clear that you were just joking

He's played 10 years for the Flyers (7 full season and parts of 3 others). But still, I don't think i'ts happening.

It's called hyperbole. The 4 refers to the number of full seasons Recchi spent in a Flyers uniform where he performed better than .99 points per game, which is his career average.

How can a team be running short of numbers? If I remember correctly, numbers never end. At some point, maybe after we are long gone, teams will have to go into the triple digits.

Like help win us seven consecutive Stanley Cups (2003-'10)

That would be a neat trick, as the Wings didn't win from 2003 through 2007.

It's called hyperbole. The 4 refers to the number of full seasons Recchi spent in a Flyers uniform where he performed better than .99 points per game, which is his career average.

That would be a neat trick, as the Wings didn't win from 2003 through 2007.

Good cover....

I don't think you understand, the Wings are currently working on a time machine and if Fedorov comes back, they are going to go back to 2003 and replay the last 4 years, wiping out hte lockout in the process.

Guest Crymson

Hasek in Buffalo. According to my friends from Buffalo, long-time Sabres fans, there is almost zero doubt that Hasek's number will be retired there.

Hockey in Buffalo was dead before Hasek--in many ways, he's responsible for their success today.

I would never wear a triple digit number...If there wasn't a double-digit number avilable, I'd go with Pi. Brings a whole new meaning to 'numbers not ending' doesn't it?

By who? His junior team?

why wouldnt he after his 3 year extension ends he would have played for detroit for 17 years. He may have been a career 3rd liner but he was essential in Detroits back to back cup runs. Not just that he has been a stable horse for years on the team. I think just the 17 years in its own makes him worthy enough to get it hung, but if not maybe the redwings could give the respect by not letting anyone wear the number and make it unofficially officially retired then.

Hasek in Buffalo. According to my friends from Buffalo, long-time Sabres fans, there is almost zero doubt that Hasek's number will be retired there.

Hockey in Buffalo was dead before Hasek--in many ways, he's responsible for their success today.

Hasek was the face and backbone of the Buffalo Sabres in the 90's and put the franchise on the radar. They never missed the playoffs during his reign, until he left for Detroit. According to the insiders I know there, you're right. No doubt #39 will be retired in Buffalo -- it's too synonymous with Hasek for any other Sabre player to wear it. Or any other goalie, for that matter. Cloutier has delusions of grandeur. :lol:

HSBC = the House that Hasek built. He deserves to be immortalized there.

I will be in attendance, needless to say. :thumbup:

Edited by puckloo39

why wouldnt he after his 3 year extension ends he would have played for detroit for 17 years. He may have been a career 3rd liner but he was essential in Detroits back to back cup runs. Not just that he has been a stable horse for years on the team. I think just the 17 years in its own makes him worthy enough to get it hung, but if not maybe the redwings could give the respect by not letting anyone wear the number and make it unofficially officially retired then.

Because this is Detroit and not Colorado. Only the best of the best get their number retired. You don't just get your number retired in Detroit for showing up to play and helping out. It's tougher to get your number retired in Detroit than it is to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame, which Draper isn't going to either. There are 33 players in the Hall of Fame that have been Red Wings. There are 6 retired numbers.

Look, I like Draper and think he's a good player and does his job, but it wasn't like he was the missing piece for a Cup team.

Shanny and Fedorov (presumably) aren't going to get their numbers retired in Detroit and each of those guys was way more important to the Cup teams than Draper was.