No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Canadian Wings

Wings join Forsberg hunt

Rate this topic

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2007/11/fo...pa_pulls_o.html

Forsberg follies: 'Foppa' pulls out of Karjala Cup with ankle issues

Posted by George James Malik November 05, 2007 14:27PM

The Philadelphia Flyers, Ottawa Senators, Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, and Dallas Stars are among at least a dozen teams interested in the services of Peter Forsberg.

If they're really interested in paying the injury-prone winger $5 million for half a season's worth of work, they might want to put a skate orthotic-maker on a retainer:

November 5, Globe and Mail:

It looks as if the much-anticipated Peter Forsberg comeback has hit a bump in the road.

According to two independent Swedish ice hockey sources, Forsberg left the first day of practice for Sweden's national team that will compete later this week in the Karjala Cup after about an hour, saying his problematic ankle wasn't holding up.

The Karjala Cup is a four-team international tournament that was supposed to give Forsberg an indication of whether he could play hockey again at the highest level. Forsberg has been hedging about a possible return to the NHL, until he could test his chronically unstable ankles in competition.

Apparently, he didn't pass his own personal test - "it doesn't feel good," he told reporters as he left the ice -- meaning he won't play in the tournament and putting any possibility of an NHL return on the back burner.

Friend-of-Snapshots James Mirtle provides a link to Aftonbladet's article updating Forsberg's situation:

November 5, Aftonbladet (roughly translated): "My feet cause for soreness. I have never been so closely [to the end] of my career here," says the world superstar to sportbladet.se ... Peter Forsberg: I ask to apologize to the entire Swedish people. I knew almost directly as I passed onto the ice that it did not hold. The feet cause me soreness, it is problem that has reappeared.

Sportbladet.se's Jenny Modin: Have you ever been so here closely to the end of your career?

Forsberg: no.

It was five minutes before the [practice's] end that Foppa suddenly aborted the training and distressed sat in his locker-room stallt. During several one-minute-long deliberations with the [national team's] management, Forsberg gave [hints] of that something was error. With lowered glance, he submitted the ice in order to without a word to make a commitment to[the Three Crowns, i.e. the Swedish National team's] [dressing room].

Ten minutes latter he met the assembled press corps.

Forsberg: It doesn't look like, I have been able to come back. I will not go [practice] again. It became the world's shortest comeback.

I am hugely sorry, for everyone that has come here for my sake, and everyone that has bought tickets - but this [ankle] does not hold. I have [made] jokes out myself sufficient during the last years.

Press member: Do you believe that you will play [in a] [competitive game] this year?

Forsberg: No, I do not believe so. I do not see lightly out [i.e. feel optimstic about] for the future.

Media How difficult does it feel?

Forsberg: Extremely difficult. There are hopes [i've had] since I worked [out] last summer after the operation, but I [have] no idea presently.

We probably won't see forsberg anymore in NHL :(

As some of you may know, he was going to play for team sweden in karjala cup this week but today in practise with team sweden he had to leave the ice after just 1 hour. Apparently his foot started to hurt again.

When asked if he thinks he is going to play a competive match this year he asnwered -"no i don't think so, it doesent look bright on the future"

When he talked to media he looked so depressed and apologized for the hope he had rised for all the fans and people who belived in him. He also said that he doesent want to embarrass himself anymore playing not 100% healed.

He also said that he may give his foot another shot with different treatment and try one more time but if it dosent work then it's over.

:( :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDcBcqHZ-cg

RIP

edit: oh well 96warrior beat me to it

Edited by hak

Guest RedWingsFever

Wow...BIG SURPRISE! Forsberg injured AGAIN. Didnt see that one coming. Anyone who previously argued with me about his health. Better take a nice long look at reality. THIS is the reason why the Red Wings shouldnt sign him. Cause he NEVER stays healthy. Ever.

I'd go after Hossa if the chance arose. Younger by 5 years, great speed

with decent size also could tie him to a longer contract say 2-3 yrs. Cost would be the issue, and who we would have to give up to land him.

He has also played with Cleary and Lilja in the lockout season in Sweden

for Mora. Can't see it happening but he'd be a better risk than flopper.

Wow...BIG SURPRISE! Forsberg injured AGAIN. Didnt see that one coming. Anyone who previously argued with me about his health. Better take a nice long look at reality. THIS is the reason why the Red Wings shouldnt sign him. Cause he NEVER stays healthy. Ever.

Well I'm glad you're happy you were right...With the exception that I haven't really seen anyone on this page argue that his health isn't a problem...Rather that was the one big issue people said was the problem: "Detroit should sign him IF he's healthy". Well obviously he isn't...

Couldnt hurt to pick him up.

it couldnt hurt, but im glad to read the other part that kenny is making sure the money and terms benefit the wings and dont leave us in trouble when it comes to signing other key components of our team

Go for it!

lets do it!

SWEWINGS: I was in the same camp about not getting him, we posted about not wanting him because of injuries because of posts like this, and this is only the first couple I came across on the front page of this thread.

were people really arguing with you about his health??

because most of what I saw was people saying IF Holland could be reasonably convinced that he was healthy.

This was the exact same injury he's been having problems with, so he tried the comeback and couldn't do it. It's not like some other mysterious injury occurred.

If we can get him for 2 million, and a 1 year contract I'm game. If not, ya got to let him pass. I'm sure there is going to be some nice picks come the dead line in march. Our team is rocking right now. Why make changes if all is good?

Yeah this is the same problem he has had for a while now

He's been treatened by some of the best doctors and has had a long period of rehab. He made it clear a while ago that he wasn't going to play until he was 100% healthy. He did all he could and after rehab he was optimistic and thoght that he, at last, was healthy enough to play hockey again. Then this happens. ¤#/&¤/&"#¤

I hope noone is malicious about this, for me it's a sad day :( loss of great hockey player