• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Canadian Wings

Wings join Forsberg hunt

Rate this topic

Im apathetic as to whether or not we sign Forsberg, but to say that we shouldnt sign him if the terms are right is a joke. The guy is better on one leg than 80% of the forwards in this league. He doesnt even NEED to be healthy to contribute and in many cases dominant.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

That's the whole point. Well, for me anyways. Floppsberg will NEVER stay healthy. Ever. So whats the point of signing a guy that will sit on IR 85% of the time? Sure, if there was somehow a guaruntee of health, then you would have to be out of your mind to not want a great hockey player on your squad. But thats just not a reality. He is frail, and getting even older year by year. No matter who this guy plays for, he will hardley get a chance to even be out on the ice. So basically the Red Wings signing him would be a huge waste of time and money.

Kenny took the exact risk last season with Dom. Some would say that risk was even higher. Worst case scenario if the Wings sign him? He gets injured, the Wings place him on IR so his salary doesn't count against the cap.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

You're definitely taking his health for granted. When has he ever proven that he can be healthy? To me, his health problems seem like a pretty good reason for why not to want him. The guy's made of glass. Unless he's willing to take some huge paycut, I wouldn't want the Wings to gamble on him.

Yeah, but Zetterberg has missed over 40 games the past few seasons. By that same logic we ought to prepare ourselves or take that into account as well. Forsberg should would be a better option to fill Z's spot if he were to go down to injury...again.

The Wings will give him a physical, he'll pass or he won't. You can't sign somebody for what may happen to them. If he's healthy you take a shot if all the other variables are in line like salary and term.

Yeah, but Zetterberg has missed over 40 games the past few seasons. By that same logic we ought to prepare ourselves or take that into account as well. Forsberg should would be a better option to fill Z's spot if he were to go down to injury...again.

The Wings will give him a physical, he'll pass or he won't. You can't sign somebody for what may happen to them. If he's healthy you take a shot if all the other variables are in line like salary and term.

exactly. I think term and salary are going to be much bigger factors than health in determining if Detroit would sign him.

Even if Forsberg does miss a good chunk of the regular season games, he's a proven beast in the playoffs.

The wings will make the playoffs without Forsberg. As long as he plays in the playoffs, how would anyone NOT want him?

Because he's ***, a woman, stupid, ugly, whiny, may not be a Christian, dives, is constantly injured and is a poophead.

Because he's ***, a woman, stupid, ugly, whiny, may not be a Christian, dives, is constantly injured and is a poophead.

What would stop Chris Chelios from turning him into a Straight, Man, Smart, handsome, appreciative, devout christian, non-diver, iron man with no poop on head?

Not happening, which is fine by me.

Having said that -- we are, barring a small miracle, going to be royally screwed come the trade deadline. Kenny will likely need to think outside of the box this season if he's to address the hole(s) in our offensive corps.

Why not?

It'd be a low-risk gamble I think in terms of dollars if I had to guess, much like the Hasek gamble last season. Health was obviously an issue with Hasek last year, and he passed that test with flying colors and could still be one of the best players at his position even during the closing of his playing career.

You can pretty much put Forseberg in the same scenario as well. And, until guys like Flipper and Hudler can show some consistency (which I hope they do cause I want them to stay with the Wings) and score or be a good threat in a 2nd line role, Detroit is going to need some more scoring/playmaking. Forseberg fits that role to a T.

Why not?

It'd be a low-risk gamble I think in terms of dollars if I had to guess, much like the Hasek gamble last season. Health was obviously an issue with Hasek last year, and he passed that test with flying colors and could still be one of the best players at his position even during the closing of his playing career.

You can pretty much put Forseberg in the same scenario as well. And, until guys like Flipper and Hudler can show some consistency (which I hope they do cause I want them to stay with the Wings) and score or be a good threat in a 2nd line role, Detroit is going to need some more scoring/playmaking. Forseberg fits that role to a T.

Forsberg is not a low-risk gamble, because he is seeking over 4.5 million annually on a 1-year contract. That is simpily too much money to give someone who you'll be lucky to get 30 games out of.

...and if you don't believe me, his agent has publicly stated that's what he's seeking many times.

Having said that -- we are, barring a small miracle, going to be royally screwed come the trade deadline. Kenny will likely need to think outside of the box this season if he's to address the hole(s) in our offensive corps.

Couldn't agree more.

Holland would have been well advised to not sit on his hands over the summer, and instead go out and sign somebody (or trade). Obviously it's easier said than done, but I really can't stand the whole "let the kids play" thing sometimes. If these are sure-fire prospects, like what Pittsburgh and Anaheim have got, that's one thing, but the guys we've got aren't nearly around that level of talent.

Ted Kulfan - Detroit News

The Wings will kick the tires and ask about Forsberg (who will play for Sweden in an international tournament, testing his body to see how healthy he is). They've had interest before when he's been available, and they'll do so now as he's an unrestricted free agent. But I still say they'll ultimately go in another direction. I've never gotten the sense the Wings have been very high on Forsberg's lists of places of come to (remember all those bitter rivalry games against Colorado) and if his asking price is anything close to what's being reported ($5 million per year, mulitple years) that's probably not going to work here.

HE NEEDZ TO REPLACE TEH ANKLEZ AND HE SUCKS, LOLZ

All LGW banter aside, I said I couldn't see Bertuzzi here. I got over it quickly. I can't see Peter Forsberg here. I'm sorry.

/thread

What would stop Chris Chelios from turning him into a Straight, Man, Smart, handsome, appreciative, devout christian, non-diver, iron man with no poop on head?

Nothing, but I think he would be a great addition, whether Chelios mentors him or not.

Forsberg is not a low-risk gamble, because he is seeking over 4.5 million annually on a 1-year contract. That is simpily too much money to give someone who you'll be lucky to get 30 games out of.

...and if you don't believe me, his agent has publicly stated that's what he's seeking many times.

Ah, t'was not aware of such high salary demands. I'd still definietly be open to trying to get him despite that, but the high demands make me a bit more uncomfortable. Other than that, I could care less of any "history" he might have had against the Wings. Hopefully, he'll lower his cash demands somehow.

I thought it was a multiyear deal for at least that much money per that he was looking for?

I hope Detroit doesn't sign him. Mainly for personal reasons though.

Although if we could do a sign and trade before he plays for Detroit then I'm all for it.

I thought it was a multiyear deal for at least that much money per that he was looking for?

Various reports say various things. The most I've heard is he wants a 1-year contract of around 4.5 million or more a season. I have seen the multi-year deal thing thrown out there, but it's really hard to believe anything anymore when it involves Forsberg. He's been rumored to be going to just about every NHL team now.

Although if we could do a sign and trade before he plays for Detroit then I'm all for it.

The Wings would never do anything like that, as far as free agents are concerned.

Anyone Know why he left Colarado?...How could you not take him if you have the chance.

The salary cap. When it was still around 44 million or whatever, the Av's didn't have the space to re-sign him. Philly did, because they cut guys like Roenick and Recchi loose.

How could you not take him if you have the chance.

Because he's injury prone, because he makes Hasek look low-maintenance, because when he get's an injury he's a whiny baby, because he doesn't battle through his injuries like Stevie Y, because his asking price might be too much, because he's all about himself and not the team ...

Anyway if it came down to Hossa or Forsberg, and the price was the same, I think I'd pick Hossa.

The Philadelphia Flyers, Ottawa Senators, Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, and Dallas Stars are among at least a dozen teams interested in the services of Peter Forsberg.

If they're really interested in paying the injury-prone winger $5 million for half a season's worth of work, they might want to put a skate orthotic-maker on a retainer:

November 5, Globe and Mail:

It looks as if the much-anticipated Peter Forsberg comeback has hit a bump in the road.

According to two independent Swedish ice hockey sources, Forsberg left the first day of practice for Sweden's national team that will compete later this week in the Karjala Cup after about an hour, saying his problematic ankle wasn't holding up.

The Karjala Cup is a four-team international tournament that was supposed to give Forsberg an indication of whether he could play hockey again at the highest level. Forsberg has been hedging about a possible return to the NHL, until he could test his chronically unstable ankles in competition.

Apparently, he didn't pass his own personal test - "it doesn't feel good," he told reporters as he left the ice -- meaning he won't play in the tournament and putting any possibility of an NHL return on the back burner.

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN THIS GUY, HOLLAND!!!

Edited by WhiteLightning91

Anyway if it came down to Hossa or Forsberg, and the price was the same, I think I'd pick Hossa.

At this point in each of their careers, I think the vast majority of people would pick Hossa. The guy is as durable as they come but he's not a UFA like Forsberg is. He would cost boatloads of assets to acquire.