• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
40#1Fan

Zetterberg NHL's First Star for October

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...layer_of_m.html

Henrik Zetterberg was named the NHL's first star for October. Zetterberg leads the NHL with 22 points and have a 20-game points streak that dates back to last season. With a point tonight at Calgary, Zetterberg would tie the Red Wings' longest season-opening point streak (14), set by Norm Ullman in 1960-61.

Here's the longest season-opening point streaks since 1993-94:

Games Player Club Season

22 Dany Heatley Ottawa 2005-06

15 Jaromir Jagr Pittsburgh 1999-00

13 Henrik Zetterberg Detroit 2007-08 (active)

13 Ron Francis Pittsburgh 1994-95

Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Pascal Leclaire and Calgary Flames right wing Jarome Iginla were the second and third stars, respectively.

Because of the early start time tonight (6 p.m. locally), Dominik Hasek was the only player at the morning skate. He tested his irritated hip and worked on his movements in net with goaltending coach Jim Bedard. Hasek said he expects to be ready for the next game, Wednesday at home vs. Nashville. No word yet on whether there will be any lineup changes tonight for the Wings.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...layer_of_m.html

Henrik Zetterberg was named the NHL's first star for October. Zetterberg leads the NHL with 22 points and have a 20-game points streak that dates back to last season. With a point tonight at Calgary, Zetterberg would tie the Red Wings' longest season-opening point streak (14), set by Norm Ullman in 1960-61.

Here's the longest season-opening point streaks since 1993-94:

Games Player Club Season

22 Dany Heatley Ottawa 2005-06

15 Jaromir Jagr Pittsburgh 1999-00

13 Henrik Zetterberg Detroit 2007-08 (active)

13 Ron Francis Pittsburgh 1994-95

Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Pascal Leclaire and Calgary Flames right wing Jarome Iginla were the second and third stars, respectively.

Because of the early start time tonight (6 p.m. locally), Dominik Hasek was the only player at the morning skate. He tested his irritated hip and worked on his movements in net with goaltending coach Jim Bedard. Hasek said he expects to be ready for the next game, Wednesday at home vs. Nashville. No word yet on whether there will be any lineup changes tonight for the Wings.

thanks for posting this, well deserved honor for Zata. :clap:

I'd love for him to take down Dany Heatley's record.

That record being? He got close to one in '05-'06,but he was stopped one game shy. And if that's the one you're thinking of, you never want Z to break it. The record Heatley got close to was the consecutive game point streak with a new team. Dany pushed it to 22 games and Gretzky holds the record with 23.

Last year he was the best player in the league before his injury

I'm sure someone will think this sounds like a negative, but we was not the best player in the league before his injury last year.

You may try to argue from an overall game perspective, which is much more difficult, but from a pure total points perspective, he was not the best, no matter how you present his stats.

I'm sure someone will think this sounds like a negative, but we was not the best player in the league before his injury last year.

You may try to argue from an overall game perspective, which is much more difficult, but from a pure total points perspective, he was not the best, no matter how you present his stats.

No matter how you present his stats? '07 calendar year (including playoffs) no one has outpaced Z offensively. And of the guys in the running only Alfredsson compares to the all around ability of Z.

Last two months of the regular season that Z has played in he's been the NHL's 1st Star of the month. February and now October.

Last 25 games played? 25 goals and 24 assists.

In the debate of best player during '07 (of which a lot falls in last season), Z is most definitely in the conversation.

No matter how you present his stats? '07 calendar year (including playoffs) no one has outpaced Z offensively. And of the guys in the running only Alfredsson compares to the all around ability of Z.

Last two months of the regular season that Z has played in he's been the NHL's 1st Star of the month. February and now October.

Last 25 games played? 25 goals and 24 assists.

In the debate of best player during '07 (of which a lot falls in last season), Z is most definitely in the conversation.

I was specifically referring to the period prior to his injury as that is the time frame that the other poster was referring to. I was not taking into account the current season.

I was specifically referring to the period prior to his injury as that is the time frame that the other poster was referring to. I was not taking into account the current season.

The same thing happens. Jan/Feb no one outscored Zetterberg (42 points in 25 games). February especially. He had 13 goals and 12 assists in 11 games.

For my money, watching the Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom line is what hockey's all about. I get that tingly feeling when they're on the ice now. It's almost like it's not a question of "if" something's going to happen, but "when."

The same thing happens. Jan/Feb no one outscored Zetterberg (42 points in 25 games). February especially. He had 13 goals and 12 assists in 11 games.

Yeah, but where do you stop? You can look at an isolated time frame and point to a certain player having better stats, but if you include an additional week prior to that maybe a different player has the better stats for example.

That 25 game stretch was not the best 25 game stretch by any player durig the year.

Yeah, but where do you stop? You can look at an isolated time frame and point to a certain player having better stats, but if you include an additional week prior to that maybe a different player has the better stats for example.

That 25 game stretch was not the best 25 game stretch by any player durig the year.

Jan 1st isn't that arbitrary of a cut off, is it? As it stands, that level of play from that cutoff will hopefully take him through all of this season and the point will become moo.

As for 25 game stretches... it'd be hard to come up with a better stretch. Definitely tricky to come up with a better month than his Feb. He put up the highest single month scoring total of the season in the shortest month (and he missed a game or two at the end to boot).

Jan 1st isn't that arbitrary of a cut off, is it? As it stands, that level of play from that cutoff will hopefully take him through all of this season and the point will become moo.

As for 25 game stretches... it'd be hard to come up with a better stretch. Definitely tricky to come up with a better month than his Feb. He put up the highest single month scoring total of the season in the shortest month (and he missed a game or two at the end to boot).

In terms of better 25 game stretches, I think Crosby had one close to 47 or 48 points.

In terms of him keeping up that level of play, I doubt it, that would mean he would end the year with 140-150 pts. I don't think that is going to happen.

In terms of him keeping up that level of play, I doubt it, that would mean he would end the year with 140-150 pts. I don't think that is going to happen.

Maybe it will be a freak year for him and the League.

Maybe, but doubtful.

I just think that it is cool that we can even have these discussions about one of the Wings....and Datsyuk isn't bad either.

I doubt it too. This won't be a freak year, but a new plateau for ol' Z. ;)