• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SylenT

Hasek Challenges, Gaborik goes Airborn

Rate this topic

IPB Image

Gaborik should have seen Hasek coming.

You can't expect players to always keep their eyes ahead of them, but they aren't the only ones on the ice. Gaborik could have avoided any confrontation.

:clap: I was reading through everything first before i put in my two cents worth of opinions, but this picture says more than a thousand words. I've always been taught the first rule of hockey is to keep your head up. Look down and make sure you got control of the puck, but then get your head back up. Someone made the comment way back that why should he have to keep his head up, he had already beat everyone. Well the answer to that is NO, he had not beaten everyone. Had Gaborik's head been up, he would have had plenty of time to see Dom coming out and could have very easily repositioned, taken a shot, and Dom would have lost his shut-out. Did the play look nasty, yes. But was it a dirty hit, no. That being said I'm glad Gaborik wasn't hurt, he could have been seriously hurt, but ya know stuff like that happens all the time and almost all the time IT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.

well thats just it matt..you have a bunch of kids on here that have just started watching hockey and have been taught by thier parents that violence is bad so every little hit in a game is a dirty thing to them. you are starting to get people in power that feel the same way. look how fighting has gone down..hell look what happens when i player gets close and taps another with the stick just to let him know he's there....its a hooking call. so now you are turning players into diving pansies.

like matt said maybe you people that have a problem with the hit need to look into changing sports.

I in no way think that the hit to Hasek had the intent to injure or should be punished or anything. And hillbillywingsfan I have absolutely no desire to fight with you as I am sure you are a respectable person and have a lot of good things to say. But to suggest that because someone is a kid that they aren't educated in hockey of the past and that they think violence is bad, is a horrible stereotype. I am 20 years old and I feel like I know old time hockey very, very well. And I appreciate what Hasek did and hard hitting and the like. Honestly I don't want to fight with you I just want you to think about what you said.

My point on the other hand is recall the Markov hit on the oiler that led to the Dats goal. The dude landed on his head and no penalty was assessed to Markov IPB Image. My point being that, it isn't the risk of injury involved in the play as much as it is whether the play is illegal or not. Kronwall got his face cut when he hit a person, because the dude's skates flew up into his face . Maybe we should play hockey on Rollerblades?

hopefully Chris Mason pulls this exact move on Datsyuk or Zetterberg on monday night. I'd love to see the reactions then.

K I posted this vid just so people who missed the play by Hasek can see it, or people who wanted tosee it again. I never posted it so people can come in my thread and start fighting about wether Hasek intended the hit on Gaborik or not. For you people who think Hasek tried to hit Gaborik is STUPID! Hasek's done this play soooooo many times, its his style so what, Brodeurs done it, I've seen DiPietro do this against the Montreal Canadiens, I've seen Belfour do it also, so whats the problem? It's an old school goalie play nd theres no problem with it. Ye Gaborik did a flip but he Never had his head up. And for the guy who said if Manson did this to Datsyuk or Zetterberg, well if it happened that would mean there heads were down so it was there fault but the thing is Datsyuk and Zetterberg are smarter than that. So just lay off this Hasek tried to hit Gaborik stuff k.

Wasn't a "hit", it was a trip.

and it was "suspect" not because it was Dom but because it was 1) an illegal play(trip) that 2) almost ended a guys career

That is a totally ridiculous over-exaggeration of what happened on the play.

hopefully Chris Mason pulls this exact move on Datsyuk or Zetterberg on monday night. I'd love to see the reactions then.

Sure people might be pissed off here. But I fail to see what that proves. We'd be equally pissed off if either of those two were smoked on a 100% clean open-ice body-check.

I in no way think that the hit to Hasek had the intent to injure or should be punished or anything. And hillbillywingsfan I have absolutely no desire to fight with you as I am sure you are a respectable person and have a lot of good things to say. But to suggest that because someone is a kid that they aren't educated in hockey of the past and that they think violence is bad, is a horrible stereotype. I am 20 years old and I feel like I know old time hockey very, very well. And I appreciate what Hasek did and hard hitting and the like. Honestly I don't want to fight with you I just want you to think about what you said.

My point on the other hand is recall the Markov hit on the oiler that led to the Dats goal. The dude landed on his head and no penalty was assessed to Markov IPB Image. My point being that, it isn't the risk of injury involved in the play as much as it is whether the play is illegal or not. Kronwall got his face cut when he hit a person, because the dude's skates flew up into his face . Maybe we should play hockey on Rollerblades?

well honestly the post was pointed at mr gangster there. was not to everyone. and if you took offence then im sorry.

they posters that try to attack someone because of thier spelling are mostly kids and to have in his profile his interest is shooting people.give me a break..how many adults in here have that?

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

well honestly the post was pointed at mr gangster there. was not to everyone. and if you took offence then im sorry.

they posters that try to attack someone because of thier spelling are mostly kids and to have in his profile his interest is shooting people.give me a break..how many adults in here have that?

It's cool man. I'm not mad or anything. I can kinda see your point, but there are some immature adults out there too. But yeah I see what you are saying and thanks for the apology. But don't miss my Markov and Kronwall point above!

Edited by DreamsofHope

wooo yeah he almost broke that guys neck clearly this means his ability at stopping pucks is back where it used to be

oh wait

WTF are you talking about - He allowed 1 goal in his last 2 starts - SO last night... HASEK is playing well and all Osgood lovers are still bashing him... brainless...

Hedberg had a similar play this year during a shoot out. He came out to challenge the shooter and took a dive at the puck. The only difference is, that forward had his head up and saw the approaching goalie, so he didn't end up head over heels. No penalty.

i fail to see why some people are thinking hasek did this on purpose and calling this a Unnecessary play . He saw a opposing player with a breakaway. He saw he was too busy looking down. So he went out to get the puck. He stopped a huge scoring chance. He did what he is paid to do. I am sure hasek wasent thinking *ZOMG A breakaway i am going to make him flip over me by running into him*. Glad no one was hurt it was a very cool thing to see :thumbup: . GET over IT. And of course if that happened to a wings player they would be looking for a penalty any other person would with any other team... so BLAH ... :lol

EDIT: Horrid spelling

Edited by Duck Guy

IPB Image

Gaborik should have seen Hasek coming.

You can't expect players to always keep their eyes ahead of them, but they aren't the only ones on the ice. Gaborik could have avoided any confrontation.

Yeah, if you watch the youtube clip, Gaborik takes about three good strides with his head down. That's an eternity in the NHL.

It was somewhat of a dangerous play. But Hasek came skating and committed to the poke check. Once he's headed out like that, there's no turning back. Then Gaborik kept his head down. I'm obviously not blaming Gaborik, but it's not like Dom went out with the intent of sending the guy head over heels.

i fail to see why some people are thinking hasek did this on purpose and calling this a Unnecessary play . He saw a opposing player with a breakaway. He saw he was too busy looking down. So he went out to get the puck. He stopped a huge scoring chance. He did what he is paid to do. I am sure hasek wasent thinking *ZOMG A breakaway i am going to make him flip over me by running into him*. Glad no one was hurt it was a very cool thing to see :thumbup: . GET over IT. And of course if that happened to a wings player they would be looking for a penalty any other person would with any other team... so BLAH ... :lol

EDIT: Horrid spelling

Thank you! :clap:

I haven't read this whole, long thread, but has anyone noticed how Gaborik locks up his knees as he slams into Hasek, thus propelling him into the air? I've had similar things happen to me, but it seems even when taken by surprise, it's not hard to protect yourself and throw your body to the side instead of flipping directly forward. It was a risky move by Hasek, but Gaborik should have, and could have, done better to protect himself. He wasn't a helpless victim here.

EDIT: Maybe I need to add a clarification as well. There was no way to predict Gaborik would have actually FLIPPED. In most instances of collissions like that the player falls to the side, or maybe rolls over the person. It was a freak accident, not an intentional dirty hit by Hasek, and I'd be saying that even if, say, Mason did that to Datsyuk. Even if a player was injured, there was no way Hasek did that on purpose and had the intent to hurt him.

Edited by VM1138

There was no way to predict Gaborik would have actually FLIPPED. In most instances of collissions like that the player falls to the side, or maybe rolls over the person.

Yeah, that's what I initially thought would happen when he hit Hasek, as I saw the collision about to occur. I was expecting him to crumple over Hasek, albeit violently, but not necessarily flip. Locking up his knees was a bad idea. That's probably what caused him to flip. With his head down I guess he didn't have much time to react and just tensed, but his legs could have hurt badly. The key is could have. This could have gone so, so much worse.

I am sure this has been said many times in this thread but I willl say it again a bit differantly. Does anyone find it ironic that most the people in here saying it was a dirty play and completely uncalled for are the same people in other threads yelling and screaming for more grit and grind? I know for sure some of you have becuase I remember. Sometimes reading the two sided bull crap that is posted in the threads makes me want to PUCK! It really is crazy that had this been Ozzy who had done this there would likely be cheers and whistle's but since it is public enemy number one who just put together a great game some of you want his head! Does anyone remember when Huddles took a nasty open ice hit that was borderline "dirty" a few games back. After the game Babs was asked what he thought and Babs said he should have had his head up! His own coach, and we were all giving hi "air fives" for being such a bad ass. Dom was trying to make a save and stop a possible break away that could of ended his Shutout which he was trying to get for himself and his team. He was trying to get it for us his faithful fans that love and support him so. :blink: Really sometimes here in Detroit as fans we need to check ourselves. We need to decide what we want and stick to it. Not jump the fence when it suites your bloomers.

We either want the Brett Hull gritty, grappling, grindy kind of hockey. Or the Bettman version with a bunch of Nancy's in tootoo's and all we see and hear are whistles and constant powerplay's. No more riding the fence chose now and forever hold to it.

Hasek, you had an awsome game with the best hit of the night all over the NHL and you should not have to take from it.

Gaborik, I am really happy that in your years of ice hockey you learned how to tuck and roll. Hell I am sure your not used to this at all appearantly in some peoples mind we need to start wrapping you and all your friends in bubble wrap, remove your blades on your skates, the ice replaced for mattresses, and the puck will be marshmellow's.

I am sure this has been said many times in this thread but I willl say it again a bit differantly. Does anyone find it ironic that most the people in here saying it was a dirty play and completely uncalled for are the same people in other threads yelling and screaming for more grit and grind? I know for sure some of you have becuase I remember. Sometimes reading the two sided bull crap that is posted in the threads makes me want to PUCK! It really is crazy that had this been Ozzy who had done this there would likely be cheers and whistle's but since it is public enemy number one who just put together a great game some of you want his head! Does anyone remember when Huddles took a nasty open ice hit that was borderline "dirty" a few games back. After the game Babs was asked what he thought and Babs said he should have had his head up! His own coach, and we were all giving hi "air fives" for being such a bad ass. Dom was trying to make a save and stop a possible break away that could of ended his Shutout which he was trying to get for himself and his team. He was trying to get it for us his faithful fans that love and support him so. :blink: Really sometimes here in Detroit as fans we need to check ourselves. We need to decide what we want and stick to it. Not jump the fence when it suites your bloomers.

We either want the Brett Hull gritty, grappling, grindy kind of hockey. Or the Bettman version with a bunch of Nancy's in tootoo's and all we see and hear are whistles and constant powerplay's. No more riding the fence chose now and forever hold to it.

Hasek, you had an awsome game with the best hit of the night all over the NHL and you should not have to take from it.

Gaborik, I am really happy that in your years of ice hockey you learned how to tuck and roll. Hell I am sure your not used to this at all appearantly in some peoples mind we need to start wrapping you and all your friends in bubble wrap, remove your blades on your skates, the ice replaced for mattresses, and the puck will be marshmellow's.

:clap:

Edited by Booster313

1. Puck first is a myth. It's not in the rulebook. It's an old measuring stick that refs used to go by.

2. Are you trying to say that was a poke check? You are crazy. I've never seen a poke check that involved a pad stack slide into someone's knees. I'd hate to play against you.

No myth.

From the 2007/08 rulebook:

Rule 57 – Tripping

57.1 Tripping – A player or goalkeeper shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall.

Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.

If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty shall be assessed.

Also, here's why it wasn't a penalty shot.

57.3 Penalty Shot - When a player, in the neutral or attacking zone, in control of the puck (or who could have obtained possession and control of the puck) and having no other opponent to pass than the goalkeeper, is tripped or otherwise fouled from behind, thus preventing a reasonable scoring opportunity, a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non-offending side. Nevertheless, the Referee shall not stop play until the attacking side has lost possession of the puck to the defending side

Hasek went after the puck not the player.

Prove it. His entire body was almost directly centered on Gaborik; he reached for the puck true, however as he admitted Gaborik had his head down. IF Hasek(as he had said) saw that Gaborik had his head down, it isn't unreasonable to assume he expected contact.

I'm still stunned no one on this board thinks that play was a penalty

and oh, yeah. whoever was criticizing me for saying I don't quite believe hasek is back to normal after two games where he barely had to do any real work, I'd like you to show me why exactly you think he is.

:clap::clap::clap:

Seeing that video reminded me of Vladdy's hit on Lemeux, except Lemeux actually landed on his head/shoulders and was a bit dazed, but came out of it fine. A normal play by Hasek became a spectacular play. Gaborik is partly to blame as he had his head down (like Huddles was partly to blame when he got creamed a few games back). Thankfully, Gaborik was fine (and a bit wiser now). If Gaborik had his head up, Hasek probably wouldn't have gone out like that and go to cut down on the angle. Absolutely nothing wrong with the play whatsoever.

As another poster pointed out, Gaborik locked his knees up, which aided in his flight training session. If he hadn't, his shins would have simply been knocked back and he would crumble to the ice. I just can't believe that it was penalized!

For those who complain that that play would have injured Gaborik, how many times has Kronwall been injured delivering a check? At least once that I can recall. Others have been hurt on seemingly simple plays. It's the nature of the game. Heck, Huddles could have been injured in that hit a few games back, but he wasn't. Hockey's always been rough. As long as the hit's clean and legal (as this one is/should be), then I have no problem with it.

Prove it. His entire body was almost directly centered on Gaborik; he reached for the puck true, however as he admitted Gaborik had his head down. IF Hasek(as he had said) saw that Gaborik had his head down, it isn't unreasonable to assume he expected contact.

I'm still stunned no one on this board thinks that play was a penalty

and oh, yeah. whoever was criticizing me for saying I don't quite believe hasek is back to normal after two games where he barely had to do any real work, I'd like you to show me why exactly you think he is.

wow dude your really think Hasek went to thit Gaborik? please.... You can see inthe video he was facing the puck and fully poke checked the puck before even hitting Gaborik..Gaborik had all the time in the world to pop his head and see Hasek sliding towards him. Remember the Nash incident? Did Hasek try to hit Nash? no.. dude seriously if you hate Hasek dont come in here and say that Hasek tried to hit Gaborik with that move he pulled..

Edited by SylenT