• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SylenT

Hasek Challenges, Gaborik goes Airborn

Rate this topic

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

ok no you are being more of a troll then another teams fan.

this is a wings board..if you don't like it leave.

Tips for being taken seriously:

1. Use proper English

2. Know it's NOW not no.

3. If we don't argue whats the point of a bored. I back my opinions up with logic and I really do think he was being sarcastic.

If you can't adhere to rules number one and two please leave. You won't be missed.

To me the answer is simple. The Wild had no reaction whatsoever to this play. This was their STAR player who almost got flipped on his head....if this was indeed a dirty play dont you think there would have been some sort of reaction on the ice? Maybe someone at least going up and taking a swipe at Hasek? So they are either the most gutless players on earth, or the players on the Wild saw this as a clean play...or at least nothing more than a tripping penalty.

As for them not taking action there was less than 5 minutes left. I'm not saying it was a dirty play just unessary when the game was already decided.

Even if a player has his head up it's really hard for them not to get all wrapped up and trip, or seriously hurt when a goaltender comes flying at you midway through your breakaway. It's really hard to try and get outta the way at the point.

He wasn't hurt. Dom got the puck first. I WOULD be calling for a penalty if it happened to a WIng, but I would be wrong. And then I would be happy for getting one, and then happy when the Wings scored on the PP. We can play the theorhetical game all day. But when it comes down to it, no injuries and puck first.

Wow you just completly missed the point. He was being theorrtical idiot. Take off your blinders for a second and see it from a wild's fan standpoint.

Also, Gaborik almost always has his head up to. To speak in absoloutes shows complete lack of understanding of a game. Say Pavel just got rocked ten seconds earlier and just got up when he got a pass right before their blue line and sped in on a breakaway. Think he wouldnt be a bit woozy?

Wow. Idiot? No other argument. We have to result to the 3rd grade retorts. I can see it from a Wild fan's standpoint. "My player got tripped on a clean play and I get a free PP with no injuries to my best player. YAY!!!"

Gaborik had enough balance to skate at 20mph and carry the puck, he can keep his head up if he wants. But he wanted the puck to be just perfect for the deke he was about to perform (fake forehand, back hand) and he got caught.

Oh, and since we are in 3rd grade, Pavel almost never gets hit and he would have scored. No one likes you and you are a ******.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

To me the answer is simple. The Wild had no reaction whatsoever to this play. This was their STAR player who almost got flipped on his head....if this was indeed a dirty play dont you think there would have been some sort of reaction on the ice? Maybe someone at least going up and taking a swipe at Hasek? So they are either the most gutless players on earth, or the players on the Wild saw this as a clean play...or at least nothing more than a tripping penalty.

you're exactly right. :clap:

As for them not taking action there was less than 5 minutes left. I'm not saying it was a dirty play just unessary when the game was already decided.

The fact that the outcome had been already decided goes even more towards my point....as a reaction wouldve been much more likely. I cant argue if you say it was unnecessary, but although the outcome wasnt in doubt this was still a meaningful situation to Hasek as he desperately wanted to get the shutout.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

He wasn't hurt. Dom got the puck first. I WOULD be calling for a penalty if it happened to a WIng, but I would be wrong. And then I would be happy for getting one, and then happy when the Wings scored on the PP. We can play the theorhetical game all day. But when it comes down to it, no injuries and puck first.

Wow. Idiot? No other argument. We have to result to the 3rd grade retorts. I can see it from a Wild fan's standpoint. "My player got tripped on a clean play and I get a free PP with no injuries to my best player. YAY!!!"

Gaborik had enough balance to skate at 20mph and carry the puck, he can keep his head up if he wants. But he wanted the puck to be just perfect for the deke he was about to perform (fake forehand, back hand) and he got caught.

Oh, and since we are in 3rd grade, Pavel almost never gets hit and he would have scored. No one likes you and you are a ******.

DAMN YOU SURE SHOWED ME I GOT WTF PWNT.

I'm using reason, your using third grade retorts. I'm sure you feel real big cause you just wtf pwnt a third grader.

Try and be funny (empathis on try) all you want. The point is you missed the point. I can almost guantee you if Mikka Kippersof made this save on Hank and Hank almost broke his neck you would not think it a clean play.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I haven't really read the first pages of responses so I apologize if I re-state other people's points...

I don't get too overly excited or emotional at sporting events or get out of my seat much, but that play absolutely got me off my couch with a yell. That play was nuts and I can't get enough of it.

If there's "controversy" on this being a dirty play or because people don't like Hasek...

1. Hasek will charge out on breakaways if it's a realistic opportunity, and there's nothing against it in the rulebook for a goaltender to do.

2. He played the puck first and didn't intentionally go after Gaborik in any stretch of the imagination with intent to injure or taking Gaborik's legs out from under him or whatever. Gaborik was just unfortunately in jail in no man's land with his head down and couldn't get out of the way.

3. Bogus call on it being tripping. Again see #2 where he was playing the puck. If it was just your skaters jousting for position and one guy accidentally trips another guy, ok a penalty, but in this situation with a goalie and a breakaway, what the hell else are you supposed to do? Get out of the way so the skater has a free empty net?

There is no controversy of it being dirty or of it b/c it's Hasek. It was just an aggressive (and VERY ENTERTAINING) play. Nothing more/less, case closed.

EDIT: And most importantly, glad Gaborik did not get hurt on the play from getting airborne and Hasek did get a skate to the family jewels or anywhere else, cause that would probably ruin his weekend. :P

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

1. Use proper English

2. Know it's NOW not no.

If you can't adhere to rules number one and two please leave. You won't be missed.

DAMN YOU SURE SHOWED ME I GOT WTF PWNT.

I'm using reason, your using third grade retorts. I'm sure you feel real big cause you just wtf pwnt a third grader.

Try and be funny (empathis on try) all you want. The point is you missed the point. I can almost guantee you if Mikka Kippersof made this save on Hank and Hank almost broke his neck you would not think it a clean play.

Gonna follow your own rules Chief or you gonna give us all what we want and leave? Like I said, if it happened to a Wing, I would want a call, and I would be wrong. It was clean and the ref overreacted to the result.

Everyone needs to stop overreacting to this.

The only real danger is if Gaborik lands face first into the ice. Since that didn't happen all the energy went into his helmet / pads / sliding on the ice. It looked more spectacular than the impact really was. The reality is as long as this happens in open ice most of the energy will go into the slide.

People need to let it go. It was a good save by Dom and no one was hurt.

<_<

I do love how Hasek sometimes thinks he's a soccer goalie instead of a hockey goalie. That was vintage "don't come in my 6-yard box or I'll take ya out" there.

I enjoy people who do things unconventionally, and Dom has always been one of those.

Everyone needs to stop overreacting to this.

The only real danger is if Gaborik lands face first into the ice. Since that didn't happen all the energy went into his helmet / pads / sliding on the ice. It looked more spectacular than the impact really was. The reality is as long as this happens in open ice most of the energy will go into the slide.

People need to let it go. It was a good save by Dom and no one was hurt.

<_<

Getting people in here not overreacting to this (or anything else in here) is like asking Michael Vick to adopt cats or asking Dick Cheney to buy instructions for using a hunting shotgun.

Neither of the scenarios is going to happen unfortuantely.

and when a puck misses a guys throat by a couple of inches, or a stick misses a guys eye by a couple of inches, it didn't almost seriously hurt them? Gaborik almost landed on his head. That would have certainly caused serious neck damage.

So if someone makes a hip check and sends a guy flying through the air, should that be a "dirty play" since the player could get hurt? Of course not.

Whether or not a player could get seriously hurt or not on a play has no bearing on whether or not the play is illegal. If a player has their head down and gets smoked by an opposing player (as Hudler did a few games ago) guess what? That's hockey. Do you expect players to tap each other on the shoulder and say "I'd like to check you please" before doing so? :blink:

The main point of contention should be whether or not what Hasek did was legal, regardless of the outcome of the play.

He slides right into Gaborik's legs like a soccer tackle. That has never been allowed in hockey.

You are right, slide tackling is not legal in hockey. Guess what, neither is sliding on the ice and sweeping your stick into an opponents feet and tripping him when he's on a breakaway.... unless of course you are going for the puck and get the puck first. Then guess what? It's a perfectly legal play!

Hasek went after the puck not the player. If Gaborik had the puck off to the side of him, that's where Hasek would have slid to. Hasek went after the puck, and got the puck. After that his momentum carried him into Gaborik and he went flying. No different than sweeping the puck away from someone on a breakaway, and the momentum of your swing brings your stick into the players feet and they trip. This happens ALL the time, and it's perfectly legal!

I swear, next we're going to hear people complaining because a goalie made a pokecheck, and the opposing player tripped on the stick afterwards and went boom-boom. :crazy:

My God, what Hasek did I've seen close to 2 dozen times over the years by different goalies, and it's never been a penalty before as long as the goalie gets the puck first. If people on this board don't understand that, then they obviously don't watch much hockey. And if they understand but don't agree with it, then maybe they should watch figure skating.

- Houdini

So if someone makes a hip check and sends a guy flying through the air, should that be a "dirty play" since the player could get hurt? Of course not.

Whether or not a player could get seriously hurt or not on a play has no bearing on whether or not the play is illegal. If a player has their head down and gets smoked by an opposing player (as Hudler did a few games ago) guess what? That's hockey. Do you expect players to tap each other on the shoulder and say "I'd like to check you please" before doing so? :blink:

The main point of contention should be whether or not what Hasek did was legal, regardless of the outcome of the play.

You are right, slide tackling is not legal in hockey. Guess what, neither is sliding on the ice and sweeping your stick into an opponents feet and tripping him when he's on a breakaway.... unless of course you are going for the puck and get the puck first. Then guess what? It's a perfectly legal play!

Hasek went after the puck not the player. If Gaborik had the puck off to the side of him, that's where Hasek would have slid to. Hasek went after the puck, and got the puck. After that his momentum carried him into Gaborik and he went flying. No different than sweeping the puck away from someone on a breakaway, and the momentum of your swing brings your stick into the players feet and they trip. This happens ALL the time, and it's perfectly legal!

I swear, next we're going to hear people complaining because a goalie made a pokecheck, and the opposing player tripped on the stick afterwards and went boom-boom. :crazy:

My God, what Hasek did I've seen close to 2 dozen times over the years by different goalies, and it's never been a penalty before as long as the goalie gets the puck first. If people on this board don't understand that, then they obviously don't watch much hockey. And if they understand but don't agree with it, then maybe they should watch figure skating.

- Houdini

That's the smartest thing I've ever heard anyone say about anything.

evidently the people saying this was a dirty hit havn't watched hockey very long. Hasek has done THIS EXACT SAME PLAY at least a hundred times in his career. He even did it last year in the playoffs. Granted no one has ever flipped over him and i think that's the reason this was called tripping.

That's complete bs, and you know it.

Oh, so you're telling me what I think? I think you need to consult a rulebook.

Dom took advantage of a player with his head down.

Wow. A 160lb. goaltender took "advantage" of a 190lb. forward racing into the zone. Hell, we can't have anyone "taking advantage" of players with their heads down, can we? Should they all dress in sequined leotards? Is that what would make you happy?

What the hell is more dangerous? Dion Phaneuf like a shark circling in the neutral zone waiting for Hudler to admire a pass? Or Torres taking a bead on Jason Williams? Or any of Scott Stevens' 234,468 blueline plasterings of Eric Lindros?

Do me a favor and go watch curling, you seem more suited for it. Or figure skating. You pick.

He didn't have to go at Gaborik the way he did. The play could have been made just as easily if Dom slide with is arm out to take the puck away. Dom intentionally tripped Gaborik, there are no two ways around it.

He didn't? Hasek's job is stop the puck. Gaborik had his head down, thinking he was in the clear and Hasek took advantage of that. If there's anything I don't like about the play is that Hasek is taking an unnecessary risk and could get himself hurt -- because he's the one that's more likely to come away from that with an injury.

Did you *really* just say that Hasek should just stick his flailing arm out there to be at the mercy of Gaborik charging toward the net?

I think you were up way too late last night when you posted this.

evidently the people saying this was a dirty hit havn't watched hockey very long. Hasek has done THIS EXACT SAME PLAY at least a hundred times in his career. He even did it last year in the playoffs. Granted no one has ever flipped over him and i think that's the reason this was called tripping.

I'm not saying it's dirty, just that something could of seriously gone wrong, and that it's VERY hard to try and avoid/get out of the way of a goaltender while he comes flying at you.

I'm not saying it's dirty, just that something could of seriously gone wrong, and that it's VERY hard to try and avoid/get out of the way of a goaltender while he comes flying at you.

What's your point? That any kind of play that something should "seriously go wrong" just shouldn't even happen? Does anyone have a running tally of how many skaters have gotten hurt when a goaltender challenges like that? Can we compare it to the "oh what a great pass I ma--BOOM!" checks on the ice?

Those are plays where something could "seriously go wrong", too. Where do you draw the line?

A slippery slope with all of the "oh it was a dangerous and unnecessary play" talk, people.

Houdini and Lou have pretty much hit the nail on the head pertaining to how I feel about this whole thing.

IT'S THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF HOCKEY! IT'S THE NHL! IT ISN'T INTRAMURALS! You've got people getting hip-checked all the time. They could land on their heads. You've got people diving head first in front of slapshots. You have people going around with BLADES ON THEIR FEET. And you're bummed because a goalie caught someone with his head down and kept his shutout alive. Go play intramurals, brotha. Go play intramurals.

[/Dan Hawkins]

IT'S THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF HOCKEY! IT'S THE NHL! IT ISN'T INTRAMURALS! You've got people getting hip-checked all the time. They could land on their heads. You've got people diving head first in front of slapshots. You have people going around with BLADES ON THEIR FEET. And you're bummed because a goalie caught someone with his head down and kept his shutout alive. Go play intramurals, brotha. Go play intramurals.

[/Dan Hawkins]

Or, you know, we could just have players roll around in big pastic bubbles and Hasek could be handcuffed to his goalposts.

1. Use proper English

2. Know it's NOW not no.

3. If we don't argue whats the point of a bored. I back my opinions up with logic and I really do think he was being sarcastic.

hahahaha

ok...how many times did you have to read over what you wrote to make sure you spelled everything right kid? hahahaha oh and you interests are shooting people??? well thats what you profile says anyways.....talk about not following forum rules...hahahah

wow if thats all you got little one then you need to grow up some before you speak with adults

and i would be missed..right loo...=)

Or, you know, we could just have players roll around in big pastic bubbles and Hasek could be handcuffed to his goalposts.

well thats just it matt..you have a bunch of kids on here that have just started watching hockey and have been taught by thier parents that violence is bad so every little hit in a game is a dirty thing to them. you are starting to get people in power that feel the same way. look how fighting has gone down..hell look what happens when i player gets close and taps another with the stick just to let him know he's there....its a hooking call. so now you are turning players into diving pansies.

like matt said maybe you people that have a problem with the hit need to look into changing sports.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

and when a puck misses a guys throat by a couple of inches, or a stick misses a guys eye by a couple of inches, it didn't almost seriously hurt them? Gaborik almost landed on his head. That would have certainly caused serious neck damage.

He slides right into Gaborik's legs like a soccer tackle. That has never been allowed in hockey.

This is hardly a puck missing a guys throat.

Gaborik flipped ass over teakettle and was close to landing on his head which mighthave resulted in an injury that possibly could've ended his career.

By that criteria, that happens about every other shift in a hockey game.

I could honestly go either way about it being a penalty. I've seen goalies slide out before and take a guy out, cover the puck, and not get called for anything.

Still, I can't believe there's so much debate about it being dirty. Over on hfboards, most people think it was a spectacular play. There's a lot of debate about whether it was a penalty or not, but few are calling it a dirty play.

How odd that so many people here are on a Red Wings forum.

And like I said earlier, I'm glad no one was hurt, especially Hasek. But I love that he did. It's a crazy ass move. The more unpredictable Dom is, typically the more successfully he is. It's the key to his style.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

IPB Image

Gaborik should have seen Hasek coming.

You can't expect players to always keep their eyes ahead of them, but they aren't the only ones on the ice. Gaborik could have avoided any confrontation.

i haven't posted in here yet but from what i saw of it...

yes it was a risky play, but what isn't in the NHL? the entire sport of hockey is a risk, just look at Kronwall last year. Missed the playoffs because of a nothing hipcheck into the boards.

i love that hasek did it. i loved the action of it. i'm glad gaborik wasn't injured, but it's his risk. he cheated on the play got on a break away and he's incredibly fast. he's gotta look up there, he knows hasek comes out of his crease a lot.

was it a penalty or not? i don't know

was it the RIGHT play for hasek? yes, i think so, i think i would still think so even if gaborik was injured, i'm just thankful he wasn't

but it was the most exciting thing to happen at a wings game this year, and everyone in the hockey world is talking about it today. That's not a bad thing.

I wish he tackled Selanne like that after Lilja turned the puck over to him, but I guess that was a different scenario. Anyway, it was a heads up play on his part, and a great flip by Gaborik. I gotta give him a 10 for that perfect landing.