• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest octopusdank

philadelphia flyers

Rate this topic

Guest octopusdank

i was watching the flyers-penguins game the other night on vs and an old lady held up a sign that said "the way we were". i know physical hockey is fun and all, but i think they have taken it too far. the many injuries and suspensions they have gathered are shameful. does the coach condone this behavior?? am i the only one that feels this way?? they sidelined the penguins goalie and i read now hes injured, that seems a little unnessecary doesnt it? what does every one else think?

i was watching the flyers-penguins game the other night on vs and an old lady held up a sign that said "the way we were". i know physical hockey is fun and all, but i think they have taken it too far. the many injuries and suspensions they have gathered are shameful. does the coach condone this behavior?? am i the only one that feels this way?? they sidelined the penguins goalie and i read now hes injured, that seems a little unnessecary doesnt it? what does every one else think?

This Flyers team isn't even in the same league as those Flyers teams of the past. I think that the team they had in the early 80's was the toughest in league history. Also, they don't really have a top enforcer on their roster, as was witnessed by Gary Roberts destroying Ben Eager. As for their cheap hits, I do think that they've taken it too far, but as I've posted before, I secretly wish that we had a bit of that on our roster. Anytime you can intimidate other teams or make them change their game, that's a good thing. The rest of the league has a right to complain, so maybe they should give the Flyers a taste of their own medicine.

Guest octopusdank

This Flyers team isn't even in the same league as those Flyers teams of the past. I think that the team they had in the early 80's was the toughest in league history. Also, they don't really have a top enforcer on their roster, as was witnessed by Gary Roberts destroying Ben Eager. As for their cheap hits, I do think that they've taken it too far, but as I've posted before, I secretly wish that we had a bit of that on our roster. Anytime you can intimidate other teams or make them change their game, that's a good thing. The rest of the league has a right to complain, so maybe they should give the Flyers a taste of their own medicine.

i agree and then i dont. i agree they are no where near the 80s team, but i just used that to point out people are noticing they are tough and physical. i dont think we need any of that on our team, we are a team of puck possesion and skill. itd be nice to have a physical forward but i dont want anyone who plays with cheap shots and dirty hits. i just think one of their players needs a hefty penalty, no 3 game suspension, thats weak, to make them realize they need to tone it down a little. but im all for downie and his ass kicking ways!!

flyers are trying to injury their way to the playoffs, the are basically a less talented Ducks team. But the flyers/Pens game the Pens were playing just as dirty. I must be honest as much as I hate pronger and dislike the Ducks, I'd love to see them get ahold of the Flyers.

flyers are trying to injury their way to the playoffs, the are basically a less talented Ducks team. But the flyers/Pens game the Pens were playing just as dirty. I must be honest as much as I hate pronger and dislike the Ducks, I'd love to see them get ahold of the Flyers.

Because we all know of course, the playoff path for the Flyers entails taking out a Canuck, a Star, 2 guys from a non-playoff team last year, and the almighty Dean McAmmond ;)

Because we all know of course, the playoff path for the Flyers entails taking out a Canuck, a Star, 2 guys from a non-playoff team last year, and the almighty Dean McAmmond ;)

I'm starting to think you're a closet McAmmond fan. You just love the guy. ;)

Just kidding, of course. I'd probably agree with you more on this situation involving the Flyers if it were anyone but Steve Downie. I don't think I'll ever like that guy. Small players who run hiding behind the visor, yet don't answer the bell when need be really aren't guys that I like, and Downie is that type of player. He's like Tootoo, and you know how I feel about him.

The other stuff wasn't as bad, except the Boulerice incident. I certainly hope you don't condone that type of play, because that's the most cowardly act I've seen in a while.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Don't forget a Bruin. I feel like injuring your way to the playoffs isn't about who you injure but just that you commonly do so. If you hurt a lot of people, as was previously said, teams are going to start changing their game against you out of fear. And that could definitely be enough to get yourself to the playoffs.

i dont know about you guys, but i think if the flyers make the playoffs, they will go strait to the finals. we always talk about how hard the western conference playoffs are and how some teams are built for the playoffs, well the flyers are just that. except THERE IN THE EAST. they will run over any team they play. if they can get some timely scoring from brier and richards, and with biron playing well, i think we might see a 97 cup finals this year. and im in no way a flyers fan, it just seems like they will just run over any soft finesse eastern team.

I'm starting to think you're a closet McAmmond fan. You just love the guy. ;)

Just kidding, of course. I'd probably agree with you more on this situation involving the Flyers if it were anyone but Steve Downie. I don't think I'll ever like that guy. Small players who run hiding behind the visor, yet don't answer the bell when need be really aren't guys that I like, and Downie is that type of player. He's like Tootoo, and you know how I feel about him.

The other stuff wasn't as bad, except the Boulerice incident. I certainly hope you don't condone that type of play, because that's the most cowardly act I've seen in a while.

I dont know a whole lot about Downie, but he's not unwilling to fight....visor or not. Those are the guys i hate, the ones that try to act tough or start things and never actually fight. If he's like Tootoo, running around looking to lay people out every chance he gets, then to be honest im probably going to like him. Im not a big fan or anything, but I think Tootoo's pretty fun to watch. Downie was a 2 points per game player last year in the O, looks to me like he could definitely turn into another Sean Avery in the NHL (another guy i like).

No, i dont condone the Boulerice incident...nor the Hartnell one. The Downey and Cote ones go under my "whatever..." column. Not saying Downie shouldnt have gotten suspended for it under the rules....it just doesnt bother me.

I dont know a whole lot about Downie, but he's not unwilling to fight....visor or not. Those are the guys i hate, the ones that try to act tough or start things and never actually fight. If he's like Tootoo, running around looking to lay people out every chance he gets, then to be honest im probably going to like him. Im not a big fan or anything, but I think Tootoo's pretty fun to watch. Downie was a 2 points per game player last year in the O, looks to me like he could definitely turn into another Sean Avery in the NHL (another guy i like).

No, i dont condone the Boulerice incident...nor the Hartnell one. The Downey and Cote ones go under my "whatever..." column. Not saying Downie shouldnt have gotten suspended for it under the rules....it just doesnt bother me.

Downie's was FAR dirtier than Hartnell's. Downie launched a full-speed, flying elbow into a player's head. McAmmond was no more able to protect himself than Alberts, Bergeron, or Kesler. Downie's motivation for his hit was revenge, as he had just been laid out.

Downie's was FAR dirtier than Hartnell's. Downie launched a full-speed, flying elbow into a player's head. McAmmond was no more able to protect himself than Alberts, Bergeron, or Kesler. Downie's motivation for his hit was revenge, as he had just been laid out.

Thats just the way i view it as a fan, ...even if a guy leaps 3 feet in the air i'll always rather see that than someone's head get boarded from behind. Theres that part of me inside that loves to see massive hits, whereas a boarding i get nothing out of. Im in no way saying it was clean...just that im not against Downie because of that. Just my opinion.

Thats just the way i view it as a fan, ...even if a guy leaps 3 feet in the air i'll always rather see that than someone's head get boarded from behind. Theres that part of me inside that loves to see massive hits, whereas a boarding i get nothing out of. Im in no way saying it was clean...just that im not against Downie because of that. Just my opinion.

As a player, I would rather take Hartnell's hit on Alberts than Downie's hit on McAmmond ten of ten times. As I said; McAmmond was just as defenseless as Alberts was, and Downie's hit was much more vicious.

Too bad we don't play the Flyers this year to atone for last year's mess. Now that we have Lilja, Kopecky, Drake, and Downey, they wouldn't dare tangle with us.

:D

Heh, maybe Lilja would if they did. They no longer have world heavyweight champion tough guy Denis Gauthier (who could turn Boogaard into a coffee table) so perhaps he won't turtle this time. :P

Heh, maybe Lilja would if they did. They no longer have world heavyweight champion tough guy Denis Gauthier (who could turn Boogaard into a coffee table) so perhaps he won't turtle this time. :P

Lilja didn't turtle, he slipped. Besides, that was before he became the "PAIN TRAIN". Lilja's yet to lose a fight this season the last time I checked.

:P

Boulerice committed the identical offense in his Plymouth Whaler days, and ended a guy's career. He should never have been allowed in the NHL.

you don't think the Sens could beat up the Flyers, or Rangers?

It'd be fun to watch, but the Flyers should be able to out-muscle the Sens as both teams stand now.

It sucks for me that they are doing well. I was hoping for cheap tickets later this season. :angry:

Oh well, at least my "home" team is fun to watch most nights.

I just watched the carolina/flyers game. I really hate the way the flyers play hockey to be honest with you. They're total goons, everyone of them. Towards the end of the game there's a delayed penatly so Biron goes to touch the puck along the boards. Cole goes dashing after it, but Biron reaches it first. Cole starts to skate away, so Biron just shoves him to the ground. I was,...um?

Then as the game goes back and forth Philly scored a goal in the crease that made what the ducks did to us in the playoffs (like when they shoved dom, the puck, and chelly in the net) look like a finesse move.

The best part was the Karma though,..during the shootout, carolina is up and Rod Brindamour is the last shooter. Brindy takes a simple wrist shot that biron gets a piece of, the puck goes straight up. The philly faithful go nuts, thinking they're still in it, puck comes back down, hit biron, in the net,...game winner.

Edited by theman19

I've got a buddy whose a huge Flyers fan and he's loving the new team for these exact reasons. Me, not so much. What really gets under my skin is the way the league is playing it off like a bunch of separate "stupid" mistakes. There are good clean hits, there's finishing your check, and then there putting on the sauce, the little extra something that makes a crappy, poorly timed hit more effective. The Flyer's are experts at the later, and you can be sure it is because they are being told to bring a "physical" game.

While on the topic of dirty hits, allow me to vent on the whole respect issue. Enough about the ol' bygone days! To say that Hockey was safer in the old days because of mutual respect is BS. Could it be that players today are 1) protected better, so they can carry more speed into the glass without fear of getting hurt and 2) just bigger and faster than they used to be?

Edited by cjeder

Guest octopusdank

cjeder, kylee, theman i cant agree with you more. i dont think the flyers could outlast the rangers in a series, maybe single games, but not a series. its be a battle, but i think new york would come out on top. i also dont thhink outmuscleing the senators would be a guaranteed win, they have more depth and skill by far.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I've got a buddy whose a huge Flyers fan and he's loving the new team for these exact reasons. Me, not so much. What really gets under my skin is the way the league is playing it off like a bunch of separate "stupid" mistakes. There are good clean hits, there's finishing your check, and then there putting on the sauce, the little extra something that makes a crappy, poorly timed hit more effective. The Flyer's are experts at the later, and you can be sure it is because they are being told to bring a "physical" game.

While on the topic of dirty hits, allow me to vent on the whole respect issue. Enough about the ol' bygone days! To say that Hockey was safer in the old days because of mutual respect is BS. Could it be that players today are 1) protected better, so they can carry more speed into the glass without fear of getting hurt and 2) just bigger and faster than they used to be?

I can buy that it isn't a team philosophy and that it really is just a bunch of separate, stupid mistakes. Why?

Well, throw Jones hit out because that guy has no history and we've all seen that play hundreds of times. I'm not saying it wasn't dirty. I just don't think Jones is a dirty player and unfortunately, with the way guys turn their backs to hits that type of play does unfortunately happen. I don't think there was malicious intent there on Jones part.

Anyway, I think anytime you fill a roster with guys like Downey, Hartnell, Cote, and Boulerice you are going to have problems. Enforcers, like Cote sometimes do stupid stuff. Personally, I don't think Cote's hit was that bad. Completely unecessary but the way he went for the hit and went back to playing the game he looked as surprised as anyone that he got called. But Boulerice, Downie, Hartnell, those guys have histories of being dum dums. I'm not the least bit surprised that they've been in trouble. The Flyers didn't mold these guys or have to give them an agenda to follow. They're guys who play on the edge and are controversial to begin with so I do believe it is on them personally and that these were separate issues. However, the Flyers as an organization had an obligation to talk to its players and remind them how to play the game and not to hurt the team. Obviously that message did not get through early enough.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted