• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
up2here

Wings to make offer for Sundin?

Rate this topic

Guest wingswillwincup
2 for 1 doesnt mean squat! Its about the quality, not the quantity...its a point i dont think you're understanding. If the Leafs were offered the choice between Kindl alone or all 3 of Meech, Pyett, and Helm...they'd take Kindl without even thinking about it.

well obviously LMAO , its like saying if the pens offered crosby or ouellet/staal/whitney who would you want ?

Im saying we not even offer kindl

i still think emmerton/pyett/helm and a 1st would be enough , i dont think theres any team stupid enough to trade 2 top 5 prospects ...... again .....only time will tell

Guest wingswillwincup
Sundin is an amazing player with great poise and great confidence. Maybe the best when it comes to those two. His style of play would be welcome on this team and any team for that matter, and also we need his vocal leadership in the room. What's to stop us from getting Sundin? Honestly.

If it means making this team better, I'm for it. 1st round picks in 08, and 09... I'd give up. Alot of our second and third rate players, I'd give up. Sundin is a good player who still puts up great numbers on a team that ultimately just has him. Him on a team loaded with skilled fellow countrymen... He'd be nuts.

I'd say we make an offer.

id love sundin but i wouldnt give up all our top prospects either , getting him for 2-3 months doesnt guarantee us winning anything , were already the best in the nhl , anyways im sure holland will do the right thing and not give up top guys for a rental , thats what makes us a good team every year ... we dont make stupid mistakes , were not a team who gets tops picks every year so we cant trade off guys , especially for rentals

Ah the Leafs won't trade Sundin. There's to many people that have a say in Toronto's Ownership. Probably what will happen is half of the ownership will want to keep him, and the other half will want to trade him, so they'll keep him to try and make a run at the 8th spot.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs try adding talent that can help them finish 8th instead of trading away and building for the future. It happens every year in Toronto, because their season ticket holders are happy with trying to slip in the playoffs and so does half the ownership, so I don't think anything will change.

i think your off on that 1 lol ..... just my opinion , itll be interesting to see if a team will be stupid enough to give up a 20+ goal scorer a top defensive prospect and those picks .... we'll see

Well, this IS the Leafs' management we're talking about here. Maybe Kenny can throw in something shiny to distract them :)

If Sundin has only choosen 2-3 teams that he would be traded to and we are one of them I think the negotiations with the Wing's would be pretty simple. We hold the upper hand. We are in first place, we have no problem scoring, we have no problem keeping goals out of our cage, we have world class goaltending times 2. Kenny goes to Ferguson and ask's them what they want for Sundin and Kenny tell's them to either stuff it or counter offer them. WE DON'T HAVE TO MAKE A TRADE. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Of course you always try to improve your team but sometimes the best trades you can make are the ones you don't make!!

My personal opinion is Sundin is going nowhere.

It's extremely unlikely that Toronto management will unsettle Sundin unless the offer for him is first rate and the club he'd go to is first rate. The guy wants to be part of the team re-modeling and he will resign with Toronto during the off-season if he gets traded, no matter the success he'd have with his new team. But yeah, the guy isn't going anywhere...

First of all I will agree with most of you on your posts. Saying that Sundin is coming to the wings is 50/50 at this point. But the thing is if your Mats why would you not want to go to a cup winning team that has the best chance of winning a cup. As a kid most of us played hockey. We all wanted to some day hoist a cup, be it in your back yard or in your basement playing with your friends. I just don't see why Mats wants to stay with the Leafs, I know he is dedicated with sticking it out with one team I respect that whole heartdley. But as many of you say he has at least 2-3 years left in him. Why not take this opportunity to play with your fellow country men to hoist the one thing we have all dreamed about as kids. And being in the NHL that has to come into play. He has the money, skill, the awards and achievements but he is missing one piece of hardware. This isnt a cryout for sundin to come here but for some to say that he will not leave Toronto let some of these reasons be a plus. If we get him awesome if we dont thats ok. All I am hoping for is that if we do pick somone up he can fit in as I think Sundin would do for this team.

GO WINGS

P.S. Great win tonight boys

also remember that a trade to the wings does not necessarily equal a cup win, as it seems some people are implying. yeah, the wings with sundin are a pretty scary team, but anything can happen. still, i agree with those who are saying, "why not?" on sundin's behalf. sure, he can come over, take a shot, and then resign with his beloved leafs after the season's over. and, if the leafs know this, they could potentially trade him pretty cheaply, considering that whatever picks / prospects they get are essentially just a free addition next year, as they will have sundin back as well. i also agree that the wings are bargaining out of a position of strength, which might not actually made the trade come any more cheaply, but i do not believe they will make a desperation trade to get a scorer. as many have pointed out, we've already got plenty. sundin would be icing on the cake (as well as a side of vanilla ice cream).

First of all I will agree with most of you on your posts. Saying that Sundin is coming to the wings is 50/50 at this point. But the thing is if your Mats why would you not want to go to a cup winning team that has the best chance of winning a cup. As a kid most of us played hockey. We all wanted to some day hoist a cup, be it in your back yard or in your basement playing with your friends. I just don't see why Mats wants to stay with the Leafs, I know he is dedicated with sticking it out with one team I respect that whole heartdley. But as many of you say he has at least 2-3 years left in him. Why not take this opportunity to play with your fellow country men to hoist the one thing we have all dreamed about as kids. And being in the NHL that has to come into play. He has the money, skill, the awards and achievements but he is missing one piece of hardware. This isnt a cryout for sundin to come here but for some to say that he will not leave Toronto let some of these reasons be a plus. If we get him awesome if we dont thats ok. All I am hoping for is that if we do pick somone up he can fit in as I think Sundin would do for this team.

I just think back to how that worked for the last leaf to defect to our team to "win" a cup and how well that worked out for him.... Just sayin'

On a side note, i would love Mats on this team!

Sundin for Meech, Kopecky and "Future considerations" depending on how far will the wings go in the playoffs. That would be awesome. But Sundin for Huds or Filpulla? No thanks.

Even if you got Ferguson drunk he wouldnt do that one.

Sundin would only be rental player. So this would be just a bonus for Leafs, they have to rebuild team anyways. Like Philly did.

Look at the history of what rental players have been traded for. It would take at LEAST Kindl and a pick.

Edited by UP2HERE

Guest wingswillwincup
Look at the history of what rental players have been traded for. It would take at LEAST Kindl and a pick.

then forget about him , im not willing to lose kindl for a rental , bringing mats here doesnt guarantee us anything

If we win Cup, why not, but loosing Kindl (potential top4 dman) and 2008 pick (deep) before the playoffs is not worth it.

Thats the great question. Theres a school of thought that a teams window of opportunity is small and that you should go for it when you have the chance. However the Wings have remained near the top of the league now for over 10 years so you could argue that doesnt apply here and that we should hold on to our prospects. My official vote is "No" if the deal involves Kindl and/or Filppula.

Edited by UP2HERE

Guest wingswillwincup
Thats the great question. Theres a school of thought that a teams window of opportunity is small and that you should go for it when you have the chance. However the Wings have remained near the top of the league now for over 10 years so you could argue that doesnt apply here and that we should hold on to our prospects. My official vote is "No" if the deal involves Kindl and/or Filppula.

exactly.... we got

datsyuk for another 6 yrs

rafalski and kronwall for 5 yrs

zetterberg will be resigned for 6-7 yrs

draper for 3 more yrs

filppula/hudler likely for 2-5 more yrs

franzen and cleary depending if we resign them

we got some main pieces locked up for a while so i think we'll be contending from this year to maybe the next 5-10 yrs depending how things go

And another thing we got going for us is we are willing to spend money to compete and draft well , unlike tampa who have 3 good players making big money but dont spend up to the cap i believe and dont draft well

That is why trading key prospects for one run that doesnt guarantee you a cup , WHEN you are already number 1 in the nhl AND number 1 in scoring doesnt make much sense

the only things id like to see maybe adressed is a physical defensemen and a physical forward who is not afraid to hit guys and who can chip in some goals

Sundin, i wouldnt give them Hudler, who has been putting on points game in,game out. for a player who will be a wing for 1 year, comprared to a player who will be here for the next who knows how long.

Hudler is a beast in his own right, Why trade him for a old bald man.

Sundin at 37 is more valuable than Jiri Hudler will ever be.

Bottom line, the Wings are in the business of pushing hard for the Cup every season, and adding Sundin would make an already tremendous team even more dangerous (assuming the deal is reasonable, of course).

It's one of those deals you have to pull the trigger on if the price is right, imo. Problem, of course, is that the price likely won't be right. So: meh.

Guest wingswillwincup
Sundin at 37 is more valuable than Jiri Hudler will ever be.

Bottom line, the Wings are in the business of pushing hard for the Cup every season, and adding Sundin would make an already tremendous team even more dangerous (assuming the deal is reasonable, of course).

It's one of those deals you have to pull the trigger on if the price is right, imo. Problem, of course, is that the price likely won't be right. So: meh.

trading hudler for a player who will be here for 2-3 months would be stupid

Guest Crymson

It'll take a lot to draw away Toronto's franchise player. Too much, methinks, especially given the added value that prospects have in the salary-cap era.

Edited by Crymson

Guest wingswillwincup
It'll take a lot to draw away Toronto's franchise player. Too much, methinks, especially given the added value that prospects have in the salary-cap era.

yup ... not worth it , ill get told off for this but if forsberg says he can play id rather take him without giving any prospects and picks then sundin , were good enough as it is without either of those 2 but forsberg at least is a winner and wouldnt cost us anything , and he would not come back and play if he cant

Just because Sundin LOVES Toronto like all the reports indicate, doesn't mean he won't leave. Bourque is a good example already brought up, Doug Weight and Keith Tkachuk are other examples of players who LOVED the team they played for but accepted a trade to a contender meanwhile the team stockpiles picks and prospects and re-signs that player in the offseason. With Zetterberg due for a monster raise, Sundin, if traded, will follow suit with the recent trend of signing with the team he was traded from.

All this is assuming that Toronto trades him to begin with which I don't see happening unless they're WAY out of the race, very unlikely in the new NHL. If Toronto is within 8 points of a playoff spot, which they should be, then Sundin is trying to take THAT team to the promised land, not the highest bidding contender. Like it or nor, that's the Toronto mentality.

And on another note, Detrit doesn't even need Sundin. Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg can play center, then you still got Filpulla and Draper. The ideal fit for Detroit would be a power forward in the mold of Shane Doan or Dustin Brown. Those two would demand a significant return but I think both would go for lower than Sundin will.

This is from Spectors website:

MLIVE.COM: Blogger George James Malik dismissed reports out of Canada that the Detroit Red Wings would be frontrunners for Sundin if he hit the trade block or that Sundin is pining to play with his fellow Swedes on the Wings. Malik calls the rumours "silly" and "patently ridiculous", doubting that Wings management would make the same mistake of giving up talented prospects for Sundin as it did last season in dealing away Shawn Mattias.

Spector's Note: I agree with Malik's take on the "Sundin to Detroit" speculation. Not that the Wings wouldn't be interested but I don't see them parting with a king's ransom to land him. Given how well the Wings are playing this season I suspect Holland will only wish to make minor tweaks (if any at all) to his roster. Zeisberger makes a very good point about trading Sundin and signing him this summer, but that's a risky move if Sundin is non-committal over returning to Toronto. If the Leafs remain in striking distance of the playoffs they won't move Sundin but that could change if the club goes into free-fall in the coming weeks.

Theres two hockey guys who dont think it will happen.