• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

The 2008 Trade Deadline Thread

Rate this topic

I know he is a helluva player and all and 'might' give us that push we need in the playoffs to win the cup...

but at 37 or however old he is already... AND a UFA... I honestly hope the Wings don't get him at this cost:

And what might Mats bring in? "What they're looking for is a top young player who's currently on an NHL roster, certainly a first-round draft pick, as well as some other prospects."

I know he is a helluva player and all and 'might' give us that push we need in the playoffs to win the cup...

but at 37 or however old he is already... AND a UFA... I honestly hope the Wings don't get him at this cost:

your avatar is sick.

I also agree with your post :cool:

your avatar is sick.

I also agree with your post :cool:

Thanks, Offsides hooked it up.

something big is happening in Toronto right now. Fletcher is meeting with Mat's agent at this very moment. Trade could be imminent.

I love this time of year! I spend waaay too much time on hockey websites.

Gahhhh just make the mega trades someone please i cant wait anymore.... and plus the deadline comes up on a school day :(

Was Burke quoted as saying he wouldn't give that Edmonton pick for a rental, or wouldn't trade for a rental period.

Was Burke quoted as saying he wouldn't give that Edmonton pick for a rental, or wouldn't trade for a rental period.

I had heard he didnt want to give up the pick, but he cant afford to trade for a big name and not have him be a rental. Hed have to jump through too many hoops to fit another big name on his roster, or hell have to ask Bert and Pronger to retire for half the year this time.

Burke statement from Daily News dated 2-13-08...."We think there's seven players in this draft, then there's a dropoff," Burke said. "It looks like it's a top-seven pick. ... Let's assume Edmonton has the fourth pick in a deep draft, a guy who's going to be in the league for 10years. You don't trade that pick for a rental player. That's a balancing act." This makes me believe that he would rather have the EDM pick and carter then a rental. (and so would I considering EDM's position) but there is just as many stories saying that the Ducks are offering the 1st pick and carter for a sundin deal...LINK

Edited by Duck Guy

One thing I hope we don't do is go out and get a D-man with all the injury problems we've been having unless it is a depth player, even though we are really banged up right now, the recent slump has definitely not been due to our defensive play IMO. BTW how long is Raffi out for?

I was looking for the little ninja of sarcasm, but I could not find it. If the D was not our problem during our slump what was? Please don't tell me it was all Ozzies fualt. Ofcourse you probably will. While Ozzie played awful so did the D, and the O for that matter.

I do agree that a depth guy is what we need. IE) Stuart over Blake

I don't know why people are so willing to go giving up prospects to get a d-man.Who ever trades detroit a d-man are going to a high prospect or a high draft or god maybe both.

Detroit is in need of a forward more than a d-man.Thats one thing they do have is a few good young d-men, they'll be alright; the goalies may have to make a couple more saves a night.

First off, when did I specifically say I only wanted to spend a prospect/pick on a defensemen? Secondly, Detroit needs depth at D just as much as they need a forward. Last years playoffs were a prime example of that.

The bottom line is that the Wings need both a top-6 forward and a depth Dman in order to make a solid run at the Cup.

Pierre McGuire is reporting that Ruslan Salei is attracting interest from several teams.

6'1, 212lbs

63GP, 3G, 20A, 23pts, -3

Contract: 2 years remaining at 3M per

To me, this is exactly the sort of trade that we should expect to see Holland making. Salei's name has yet to be thrown around in trade rumors, which is often times how Ken Holland works. The fact that Salei would NOT be a rental and is signed to what is and will continue to be a reasonable contract for a #4 Dman in todays market makes him Hollands type of guy. He would be a great replacement for Lilja, can replace Samuelsson on the 2nd unit PP, and provides the nastiness that Detroit has needed and has been looking for since the departures of Hatcher/Fischer.

I know the "we need more Canadians" crew is gonna come out of the wood work on this one, but Salei is worth a look and would look nice paired up with either of Rafalski or Lidstrom.

I know the "we need more Canadians" crew is gonna come out of the wood work on this one, but Salei is worth a look and would look nice paired up with either of Rafalski or Lidstrom.

Not necessarily, i wouldnt be excited over it but i wouldnt have a problem with Salei. For me the Canadian thing is much more important in regards to forwards rather than defenseman.

Not necessarily, i wouldnt be excited over it but i wouldnt have a problem with Salei. For me the Canadian thing is much more important in regards to forwards rather than defenseman.

The way I see it, if Detroit is after Salei, hell replace Lilja next season, so it wouldnt necessarily be an addition of Europeans.

And I agree, I would definitely like to see some of our Euro forwards replaced with North Americans (particularly Hudler and Sammy)

P.S. Alex Steen just re-signs to a 2 year, 1.7M per contract.

Yeah, same here.

I'd love to have Salei. He'd add some grit and toughness the Wings so desperately lack on the blueline. I think he'd be a great addition for the playoffs, and would be a nice replacement for Lilja.

YoungGuns1340: can you confirm if the Wings are one of the interested teams, or has that not been announced yet? Thanks.

Yeah, same here.

I'd love to have Salei. He'd add some grit and toughness the Wings so desperately lack on the blueline. I think he'd be a great addition for the playoffs, and would be a nice replacement for Lilja.

YoungGuns1340: can you confirm if the Wings are one of the interested teams, or has that not been announced yet? Thanks.

No teams have been listed as interested (and Im not sure Id even trust what the media says at this point) but it wouldnt surprise me if Holland was the one who made the initial inquiry. When Salei was a free agent a couple years back, the Wings were rumored to be interested in signing him then. I especially wouldnt be surprised if the Wings are interested in Salei in looking to replace Lilja. We havent heard much news in terms of Lilja re-signing, other than that he wants a raise, and if Liljas head is getting a little big, might as well upgrade entirely and go with Salei. Wed lose a little bit on size, but wed upgrade in all other areas, particularly physicality and edge. Salei loves to hit and fits Detroits needs to a T.

Also, there would be nothing of consequence in a deal between Detroit and Florida, and Martin just announced recently that there were "no untouchables" on Floridas roster.

No teams have been listed as interested (and Im not sure Id even trust what the media says at this point) but it wouldnt surprise me if Holland was the one who made the initial inquiry. When Salei was a free agent a couple years back, the Wings were rumored to be interested in signing him then. I especially wouldnt be surprised if the Wings are interested in Salei in looking to replace Lilja. We havent heard much news in terms of Lilja re-signing, other than that he wants a raise, and if Liljas head is getting a little big, might as well upgrade entirely and go with Salei. Wed lose a little bit on size, but wed upgrade in all other areas, particularly physicality and edge. Salei loves to hit and fits Detroits needs to a T.

Also, there would be nothing of consequence in a deal between Detroit and Florida, and Martin just announced recently that there were "no untouchables" on Floridas roster.

Keep on talkin' brother... Package Lilja and a certain other defensive trainwreck prospect for someone like Salei. Sounds good to me...

How so?

"Holland included his own club amongst those that could possibly make a major move."

"We're prepared to be aggressive," Holland said.

Yes, aggressive and stupid are 2 very different words...and from what people are asking for the Wings would have to be stupid to make some of the moves that are rumored...especially the Sundin asking prices...