• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

The 2008 Trade Deadline Thread

Rate this topic

Just in case there were any doubts about Eklund being an idiot.

"Tonight I will be joining what I consider to be one of the best broadcast teams in the NHL, Pete Weber and Terry Crisp for their broadcast of the game. "

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13560

Priceless!

esteef

LMAO!!! I just read that and thought to myself, "why do I keep coming back to this stupid site?" I am going to watch the game just to see how big a train wreck this turns out to be! Nashville would be the only city that would think Eklund is legit.

LMAO!!! I just read that and thought to myself, "why do I keep coming back to this stupid site?" I am going to watch the game just to see how big a train wreck this turns out to be! Nashville would be the only city that would think Eklund is legit.

Their flagship station (104.5) they act like this guy never misses on a rumor. What a joke.

Salei, no question. Great hitter, plays with a mean streak (this is the guy who shoved Mike Modano into the boards), and won't be the half the defensive liability Stuart is.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having Stuart. But Salei is the much better option.

Salei, no question. Great hitter, plays with a mean streak (this is the guy who shoved Mike Modano into the boards), and won't be the half the defensive liability Stuart is.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having Stuart. But Salei is the much better option.

I agree, I would much rather have Salei than Stuart.

But Stuart wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Just think Salei addresses the team needs better....

(See we can agree on things too :thumbup: )

If the price is the same for both, Stuart.

Ive been saying this all along, and I like Stuart, but everyone on here is going to be very disappointed when Stuart shows up and isnt the nasty, hard-hitting, all out physical Dman a lot of people here expect him to be. On the one hand, youll hear how Salei played some solid hockey for the Ducks in the earlier runs. On the other, you'll hear how Stuart didn't nearly live up to expectations in Calgarys run just last year.

Now, I would fully welcome Stuart on this squad, because he is big and he is gritty. But hes not overly physical. Think Canada's Danil Markov. Ruslan Salei is known for his hitting and for his mean streak. Hes fierce. Hes experienced. Hes a bulldog. I remember when Detroit played against him in Anaheim in 2003, and god was he a thorn in our side. I can remember him taking our forwards down behind the net left and right. And his position at #4 on the wings, playing alongside Nick or Raffi is exactly the ideal type of situation he should be in...Not to mention those 2 extra years on his contract at a reasonable price are fine by me..

I dont usually like TSNs scouting reports, but heres a guideline

Stuart:

Assets - Is a very gifted skater and makes excellent outlet passes. Has a heavy shot that can be very effective on the power play.

Flaws - Is prone to mistakes in pressure situations, which has led him into the coach's doghouse in the past. Doesn't use his size effectively enough.

Salei:

Assets - Plays a mean and nasty game from behind the blueline. Can hit with the very best in the game. Is well liked in the locker room.

Flaws - Does go overboard with his hits on occasion, resulting in discipline issues. Will occasionally make bad decisions with the puck in the defensive zone.

I just got a flashback to my old team on NHL2001 or so where I put Salei on the Wings at D with Lidstrom and took the team to the Stanley Cup. I think I had Mike Gartner on the team with Martin Rucinsky too. I'm guessing Gartner's probably note available in real life now, though. :)

Ken Holland's HNIC intermission interview (@vancouver) was kinda unsettling... he did hint that he wasn't terribly looking forward to rentals, but would make a deal if it was there. KH mentioned no teams or names, but the HNIC guys were interjecting with Sundin's name. Holland did, however, seem to emphasize that the Wings were in rebuilding mode since Yzerman's departure.

Could this mean Kenny's got his eyes on something larger than a rental?? Sorry... an unextended Hossa is undeniably a rental.

The way I see it, if Detroit is after Salei, hell replace Lilja next season, so it wouldnt necessarily be an addition of Europeans.

And I agree, I would definitely like to see some of our Euro forwards replaced with North Americans (particularly Hudler and Sammy)

P.S. Alex Steen just re-signs to a 2 year, 1.7M per contract.

More i think about it Im starting to somewhat get on board with the idea of Salei, i'd rather have Stuart but Salei does have that nasty, dirty side to him....which is something we could definitely use.

More i think about it Im starting to somewhat get on board with the idea of Salei, i'd rather have Stuart but Salei does have that nasty, dirty side to him....which is something we could definitely use.

I'm not gonna lie..when I read that TSN scouting report about how Salei can go a little overboard with his hits and his physical play...I get a little excited. Its been a long time since we've had a little dirt in the lineup, a guy that would pull out all the stops to rough some people up...

Ken Holland's HNIC intermission interview (@vancouver) was kinda unsettling... he did hint that he wasn't terribly looking forward to rentals, but would make a deal if it was there. KH mentioned no teams or names, but the HNIC guys were interjecting with Sundin's name. Holland did, however, seem to emphasize that the Wings were in rebuilding mode since Yzerman's departure.

Could this mean Kenny's got his eyes on something larger than a rental?? Sorry... an unextended Hossa is undeniably a rental.

HOSSA WOULD NOT BE A RENTAL!!!!!!!

Jesus christ, the only thing unsettling here is how people can't seem to get it through their heads that Hossa coming to Detroit hinges on his NOT being a rental. My god...

On the other hand, Hossa signed to a long-term contract sounds exactly like the type of move youd make if you were "in rebuilding mode". Salei and Stuart fit that bill as well :)

I'm not gonna lie..when I read that TSN scouting report about how Salei can go a little overboard with his hits and his physical play...I get a little excited. Its been a long time since we've had a little dirt in the lineup, a guy that would pull out all the stops to rough some people up...

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Salei is that crosscheck on one of my most hated players, Mike Modano. :D

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Salei is that crosscheck on one of my most hated players, Mike Modano. :D

I've been calling for Salei since the late 90s. Very solid defensively, and very aggressive physically. EXACTLY what we should be picking up.

I dont usually like TSNs scouting reports, but heres a guideline

Stuart:

Assets - Is a very gifted skater and makes excellent outlet passes. Has a heavy shot that can be very effective on the power play.

Flaws - Is prone to mistakes in pressure situations, which has led him into the coach's doghouse in the past. Doesn't use his size effectively enough.

Salei:

Assets - Plays a mean and nasty game from behind the blueline. Can hit with the very best in the game. Is well liked in the locker room.

Flaws - Does go overboard with his hits on occasion, resulting in discipline issues. Will occasionally make bad decisions with the puck in the defensive zone.

Sounds good. :thumbup:

I've been calling for Salei since the late 90s. Very solid defensively, and very aggressive physically. EXACTLY what we should be picking up.

Living in SoCal and a lot of times being stuck with having to watch the old purple and teal Mighty Ducks (this was pre-Center Ice) I can definitely say that Salei is good. I'd take him in a heartbeat. He can hit, score, scrap (somewhat) and can play both the PP and the PK.

Get him Kenny!

esteef

Do we have a history of trying to acquire Salei in the past?

I think the Wings were after him before when he was a free agent, but I'm not really sure.

If the price was the same for Salei or Stuart, I'd definitly take Salei. Don't get me wrong: I really like Brad Stuart, and it would be great to have both him and Salei at the same time, since they both address particular needs (Salei a physical, stay at home defenseman, while Stuart is a good all around player, both of whom provide great depth), but if I could only choose one of the two, I'd probably take Salei. The Wings desperately need a physical player on their blueline. The Wings defense is way too soft, and when Lilja is your toughest defenseman, you know there's problems.

It'd be great if the Wings could get both Salei and Stuart, like I said, because both would be great additions that would address certain needs this team has on defense. Depth is the biggest issue, which the Wings really need. I don't think it will happen, but I'm hopeful it does.

Edited by Kp-Wings