• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Goalie Pads

Rate this topic

One of you go out and play goalie then maybe ill take your post allitle serious. But all of you are just assuming how it is with biased posts.

I have. And I've played goal with old equipment and new. The new stuff can be shrunk down bigtime. Most goalies wear pants that are 3x the size they should be. I know guys that have a 30" waist wearing XXL pants (see Legace).

Chest protectors come up over the guys ears and puff out 18" from their chest. Trappers that you could stuff a turkey in. And the leg pads come up to the naval.

All of this can be tapered down without sacrificing any safety.

In fact, I grew up with a goalie who now works for a major goalie equipment company. He told me that it's very possible and very easy to shrink gear and make it just as safe. But they would never do it, because the minute they, or any other manufacturer showed the world that goalies could be reduced half their size, no goalie would ever endorse them again. Who would endorse anyone that just made their jobs twice as hard?

And finally, if bigger equipment is necessary to protect, why is the gear shaped like boxes? Or a rectangle? The human body is curved and rounded. Shouldn't the equipment be the same? Oh wait! Isn't the net shaped like a rectangle? Strange. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hank

Shots off pads don't hurt. Take a nice shot to the chest protector though, you feel that. I've been hit in the crotchal area and the cup only does so much. Luckily I conrtrolled the rebound so I could stay in the butterfly while my voice was raised a few octaves.

And why shouldn't you? Suddenly it comes down to not wanting to feel any pain.

The two sports are different, but I see boxing and hockey to be quite similar. Both are aggressive sports that are not for the feint of heart.

Would you ever think a boxer would come out and say "Those punches hurt! They should make the gloves softer!". No.

The puck is hard. It should hurt. It's the reason why I used to respect goalies. Not anymore. They feel they're even above feeling shots now (which isn't even the issue. Goalie pads in the NHL is comparable to steroids in baseball. It's just players looking for an advantage. It has absolutely nothing to do with safety).

Again, Broduer has played over 700 games in the past decade using the smallest equipment (ratio wise) of any goalie in that time span. He's never hurt, plays a tonne and only continues to break records. Why is it that he's been able to survive death with 34" pads and shoulder pads that don't go over his head, while others scream it's necessary for survival?

Edited by Hank

I agree about small pads being safe but its not what im trying to get by to you.

Right now...there is nothing wrong with how the game is played. But people just think "oh you stopped that shot cause you have big pads" No. Its bogus. I dont want to see some of the best goalie talent leave the NHL because they try to mess with the pads and I dont want to see this game changed into goals getting scored every 5 min. Thats not exciting. A close game is way more exciting than a game thats like 10-2. A player working hard to score is more entertaining to watch then just getting to the blue line and wristing it by the goalie with ease like they did back in the day. Harder to score, harder the players have to work, harder the goalies have to work= more intense game.

Why do you want to change the games...you talk about Giggy and Legace. Its not like they are getting shutouts. Dont Fix what isnt broken. Changing that pads will make it one step closer to ruining the game nuff said.

The way to American auidence isnt more goals. But bettman is an idiot. First thing people should be worrying about if they want to fix the game is getting Bettman out of the NHL.

And why shouldn't you? Suddenly it comes down to not wanting to feel any pain.

Did I say anything remotely close to that I shouldn't?

No, I didn't. In fact, I said that I do feel a good shot if it hits me in the chest

Edited by dallas27

Ok...NHL does not need more scoring and anyone who says they do is dead wrong. What kind of NHL scores do you want 10-15 goals a night? A 1-0 game is much more exciting. And you mess with the way a goalie plays they will leave. Luongo already said if they make the nets bigger he will play somewhere else.

And Giguere the only goalie you guys are talking about. Really you have no idea if his pads are large. You just assume. The NHL checks goalie pads so they are regulation size. But everyones arguement is that you are assume from how he looks that he is using larger pads than normal. Maybe its his stance. He gets low and puts his chest on the top of his pads making him look big and compact. Broduer could have a stance like Giggy does and make his pads look bigger. Or maybe its because he has a tight jersey. But ill let you guys keep on assuming if it makes u feel better.

Really...you want to ruin a part of this great game than change the size of goalie pads thats cool. Thats why I say you might as well make the players use a stick with no flex or curve...even the playing field allitle bit. One of you go out and play goalie then maybe ill take your post allitle serious. But all of you are just assuming how it is with biased posts.

First paragraph:

A. The league wants more scoring to broaden it fan base, that is what non fans want to see. If you don't understand the intricacies of the defensive game of hockey you will not appreciate a 1-0 game. Most non-fans or part-time fans don't understand the intricacies of defense.

B. If Luongo thinks he wants to play in Russia go ahead, he will make a hell of a lot less money. And can I get a link to that statement?

Second Paragraph:

A. Giggy is not the only goalie, he is just the most successful most obvious. But if you really think it is his positioning that makes him look that big you are on some sweet s*** that I want some of!

B. Giggy's leg pads alone and his blocker are enough for me to turn my assumptions to inferences. If his arms and legs are seriously that big than he needs to be in the Guiness book of records in the Freaks category.

C. Yes his pads are regulation, that is the problem, regulation pads and pants are too big, they are not there for safety they are there to protect the net. But had you taken the time to read all of the posts you would have seen that is the argument, not that he is breaking the rules. People are calling it cheating, what they mean is pushing the limits, which honestly I don't blame Giggy in the least. When work tells me I have an hour for lunch, I take an hour for lunch!

Third Paragraph:

A. Ruin the game, have you ever seen old time Hockey, pads haven't been this big for ever it is a recent issue.

B. I have already addressed the Stick issue and until you answer my questions about it, I will assume you are just spouting out info. So until you can tell me WHY Giggy needs bigger equipment than Broduer I will take this as someone else with an opinion that they only know how to state as a fact. Don't feel bad there are a lot of you out here on this board.

Some of you guys are blaming equipment manufacturers for conspiracies and goalies for cheating, and I don't understand any of it. The NHL sets rules, the rules are what they are, and if they're cheating, they'll be caught! This isn't like a spitball or a corked bat, goalies stand out in the open for 60 minutes, I don't understand how you think these goalies are openly violating rules and getting away with it.

I've played goalie extensively, and I can tell you, that while you want to be as big as possible in net, equipment that is too large seriously hinders your mobility, and can actually hurt your chances of stopping a puck. Even the size of the goal stick matters. You would assume that a bigger goal stick paddle means more stopped pucks, but I was finding that too much length on the paddle made the stick difficult to maneuver, and also created a hole between my right pad and the blocker in the butterfly.

I agree about small pads being safe but its not what im trying to get by to you.

Right now...there is nothing wrong with how the game is played. But people just think "oh you stopped that shot cause you have big pads" No. Its bogus. I dont want to see some of the best goalie talent leave the NHL because they try to mess with the pads and I dont want to see this game changed into goals getting scored every 5 min. Thats not exciting. A close game is way more exciting than a game thats like 10-2. A player working hard to score is more entertaining to watch then just getting to the blue line and wristing it by the goalie with ease like they did back in the day. Harder to score, harder the players have to work, harder the goalies have to work= more intense game.

Why do you want to change the games...you talk about Giggy and Legace. Its not like they are getting shutouts. Dont Fix what isnt broken. Changing that pads will make it one step closer to ruining the game nuff said.

The way to American auidence isnt more goals. But bettman is an idiot. First thing people should be worrying about if they want to fix the game is getting Bettman out of the NHL.

Dude, you are over exaggerating to prove your point, in order for goals to go in off of a weak wristers from the point as you put it, goalies would all have to go back to playing the stand up style of goaltending.

You and I see eye to eye perfectly on the Bettman issue, however, American fans want football scores, baseball scores, not soccer scores.

Hockey will never have football scores because one goal isn't worth 6 points, so the NHL has to do their best. As much as I would love to see Hockey popular for what the game was or is, it will not grow in America as it is. Shrinking the goalie pad max from 38- 35 is not going to make that big of a difference anyways, it is not like we are talking about making them the size of soccer shin pads. But again you are over exaggerating to prove your point.

Broduer and Roy have both stated the issues with goalie pads, you keep telling yourself that Luongo and others will leave the NHL, sure they will because who wants all that money or the shot at the most coveted trophy in sports, because their pads have to be smaller.

You may think there is nothing wrong with the game, however if things don't change and the league doesn't find away to drum up more fans, aka more business, it will falter sooner than later.

Some of you guys are blaming equipment manufacturers for conspiracies and goalies for cheating, and I don't understand any of it. The NHL sets rules, the rules are what they are, and if they're cheating, they'll be caught! This isn't like a spitball or a corked bat, goalies stand out in the open for 60 minutes, I don't understand how you think these goalies are openly violating rules and getting away with it.

I've played goalie extensively, and I can tell you, that while you want to be as big as possible in net, equipment that is too large seriously hinders your mobility, and can actually hurt your chances of stopping a puck. Even the size of the goal stick matters. You would assume that a bigger goal stick paddle means more stopped pucks, but I was finding that too much length on the paddle made the stick difficult to maneuver, and also created a hole between my right pad and the blocker in the butterfly.

Very true larger pads will inhibit your movement, if you are a reaction goalie. If you are a positional goalie like Giggy or Legace bigger pads will help not hinder!

Here is a quote that Brett Hull said the GM meetings last month. "Goalies equipment to met to protect the goalie but not block the net." Giggy pads does much more than protect himself it literally blocks the nets. He is about the only person that has equipment that does it all freom protecting him to blocking the net and basically ervery thing else. :ph34r:

First paragraph:

A. The league wants more scoring to broaden it fan base, that is what non fans want to see. If you don't understand the intricacies of the defensive game of hockey you will not appreciate a 1-0 game. Most non-fans or part-time fans don't understand the intricacies of defense.

B. If Luongo thinks he wants to play in Russia go ahead, he will make a hell of a lot less money. And can I get a link to that statement?

Second Paragraph:

A. Giggy is not the only goalie, he is just the most successful most obvious. But if you really think it is his positioning that makes him look that big you are on some sweet s*** that I want some of!

B. Giggy's leg pads alone and his blocker are enough for me to turn my assumptions to inferences. If his arms and legs are seriously that big than he needs to be in the Guiness book of records in the Freaks category.

C. Yes his pads are regulation, that is the problem, regulation pads and pants are too big, they are not there for safety they are there to protect the net. But had you taken the time to read all of the posts you would have seen that is the argument, not that he is breaking the rules. People are calling it cheating, what they mean is pushing the limits, which honestly I don't blame Giggy in the least. When work tells me I have an hour for lunch, I take an hour for lunch!

Third Paragraph:

A. Ruin the game, have you ever seen old time Hockey, pads haven't been this big for ever it is a recent issue.

B. I have already addressed the Stick issue and until you answer my questions about it, I will assume you are just spouting out info. So until you can tell me WHY Giggy needs bigger equipment than Broduer I will take this as someone else with an opinion that they only know how to state as a fact. Don't feel bad there are a lot of you out here on this board.

Haha..i like this way of debating...much more civilized. You made good points...but I guess were just 2 diff fans.

A. If non fans need to see scoring to like the sport than we shouldnt just change how the sport is played for them. Its like Bettman is trying to change the game into basketball on ice. Might as well make the net bigger and take the goalie out of the net. More scoring might attract other fans but changing the game like that will also lose fans. Its a fact hockey fans are some of the most loyal fans. I dont want people watching the game just because they score alot. Theres no much more to the game.

B. Luongo

I know hes talking about making the nets bigger here but in an article i tried couldnt find he was talking about just people trying to mess the goalie position period that would make him leave.

2nd Paragraph

A.Yes...it is his stance and positioning that makes him look big. I can play goalie and stand like him. And another example. White pads look bigger than black pads. Im sure Giggy got white pads to make himself look big. Its all just people looking at him and asuming he has huge pads when he doesnt.

3rd Paragraph

A. Hmm...the ole Broduer arguement. Well ill say this. Broduer looks goofy as hell in his pads lol. But really...Broduer has a totally diffrent style of play...and his style is with small pads...and he has masterd that style. Gggys style is coming out and having amazing angles. Just makes him look big...which is the point. He is trying to make himself look big and he has fooled all of you. He pads are fine...but how he plays makes him look big...so people say its his pads.

And your going off a post a made ahwile ago...read my more recent post...i answer and prove alot of points in that one.

Dude, you are over exaggerating to prove your point, in order for goals to go in off of a weak wristers from the point as you put it, goalies would all have to go back to playing the stand up style of goaltending.

You and I see eye to eye perfectly on the Bettman issue, however, American fans want football scores, baseball scores, not soccer scores.

Hockey will never have football scores because one goal isn't worth 6 points, so the NHL has to do their best. As much as I would love to see Hockey popular for what the game was or is, it will not grow in America as it is. Shrinking the goalie pad max from 38- 35 is not going to make that big of a difference anyways, it is not like we are talking about making them the size of soccer shin pads. But again you are over exaggerating to prove your point.

Broduer and Roy have both stated the issues with goalie pads, you keep telling yourself that Luongo and others will leave the NHL, sure they will because who wants all that money or the shot at the most coveted trophy in sports, because their pads have to be smaller.

You may think there is nothing wrong with the game, however if things don't change and the league doesn't find away to drum up more fans, aka more business, it will falter sooner than later.

I was just saying that cause someone was saying how hockey should be like it was in the 60's and 70's. But trust me...its like Bettman has brainwashed people to thinking that more goals will attract more fans. And maybe it will but changing the way a goalie plays isnt going to do it good. Theres plunty of other options. Making the rinks wider is just one off the top of my head.

It makes me sick to think that the NHL has to make the game more like basketball and football to get more fans...and its not the case. The NHL is already passing up the NBA in attendance...so its not going to falter soon. The answer to getting more fans insnt more goals by changing the position of the goalie. Maybe we can get Bettman out of there and get someone who is half smart to find ways to get fans.

Chiefness:

True we may be different fans, but thanks for the compliment.

But here is where I think we differ the most.

You say Giggy needs bigger because he is a positional goalie and that he makes his money by having amazing angles.

Riddle me this: (Bare with me end of a long day at work and I am trying to be funny)

If basic physics tell us that a larger surface area has more coverage area, and the further away from what you are covering the more surface area you cover (goalies call it cutting down the angle) wouldn't it make more sense for Giggy to wear the biggest pads possible, not just because as he is looking straight on at a shooter he covers more area, but also that if he has bigger pads he has to move less. Thus he is limiting his side to side movement, forward movement, well actually all movement because the pads he uses, that are 100% legal (I have never argued he is cheating or is doing anything illegal), are that much bigger. Therefore the argument stands that if he had smaller pads we can infer that he would be a worse goalie. Would he all of the sudden give up 6 goals a game by going to 35" pads no, even though most Wing's fans are hoping.

Physics tells us that the larger the surface area covered by the pads the less of the net that the goalie has to cover, it also means he is that much closer to the edge of the net, meaning that the player has less net to shoot at by default. If his pads shrink then there would be more net available until the goalie cut down the angle, but that is where passing comes into play. Back door open net!

You may say that a 1-0 game is exciting to you, but I just watched some crappy B's games that were 1-0, 2-0, 3-2 so on and so forth that were horrible games to watch. The D would sink into the zone and the goalie would cover the net. Boring. I miss the days were a 1-0 game meant that the netminder played out of his head, not that his team blocked 10 shots and he ate 15 shots in his oversized blocker or leg pads.

But again that is my opinion, but what I can say with complete certainty is that the NHL is trying to sell the game, if teams continue to play with half empty barns like the ones in Nashville, Detroit, etc. the league will go bankrupt, and that my friend is why the league is trying to turn this into Basketball on ice, that is why there is no more two line pass, that is why they went back to touch up offsides, that is why they have put in place rules to (I couldn't stop laughing as I typed this as it is not true) stop the trap!

I was just saying that cause someone was saying how hockey should be like it was in the 60's and 70's. But trust me...its like Bettman has brainwashed people to thinking that more goals will attract more fans. And maybe it will but changing the way a goalie plays isnt going to do it good. Theres plunty of other options. Making the rinks wider is just one off the top of my head.

It makes me sick to think that the NHL has to make the game more like basketball and football to get more fans...and its not the case. The NHL is already passing up the NBA in attendance...so its not going to falter soon. The answer to getting more fans insnt more goals by changing the position of the goalie. Maybe we can get Bettman out of there and get someone who is half smart to find ways to get fans.

See, I don't think they are changing the position of goalie at all, I think the trapezoid was more of an infringement on that than the pads would be.

I think making the rinks wider would slow the game more. Again physics, if a player has to skate wide to get by the D, it will take him longer to get there. Also with more ice creates more room for error. If a dman turns the puck over in a larger rink he has time to get back, in a smaller rink a dman turns it over at the other teams blue line and BAM before you know it the forward is on the goalie.

I also think larger rinks will make more and more teams sit everyone in the slot in the d zone. All coaches will be preaching is get back in the slot, don't worry about the guy on the wing.

Plus the further away a forward is the more reaction time a goalie has to make the save.

The problem in comparing NHL to NBA attendance is that is not the issue, NBA is a very lucrative league, the contracts are ridiculous!

The NBA has about 5 channels that cover them all on either basic cable plans or on the first tier of the package. Most people don't get versus!

Oh well time to go home see you all tomorrow!

ahhh o well...agree to disagree. Whatever the outcome of this if any I hope the sport of hockey doesnt change much from what it is now.

Wether more goals would attract more people or not one thing is for sure is thats not the only reason hockey isnt as popular. Bettman has no idea what he was doing. I bet if games still played on ESPN people would watch and that would make people care, cause all of what Americans see when it comes to sports news is from ESPN. Sportscenter only plays about 3 min of hockey highlights a show and thats a problem. I think the answer is to stop changing the game and start getting some good advertisment and get on some big name channels. Thats just what I think tho.

And for the idea of making the rink wider to increase scoring. In my opinoin it would open up more room in the neutral zone and limit the effectiveness of the trap. But It would work both ways in giving the Defence more time i suppose.

Edited by chiefness

Giguere and Legace, and other goalies with grossly oversized gear, are cheating in the same manner in which steroid users in the 80s and 90s did. It's not technically illegal, but their abuse of that fact is unfair.

Seriously, put down the pipe buddy. That comparison is so far off mark, I don't even know how to respond to it.

Goaltenders are doing nothing that could be remotely considered in the same ball park as steroid use.

Chiefness:

True we may be different fans, but thanks for the compliment.

But here is where I think we differ the most.

You say Giggy needs bigger because he is a positional goalie and that he makes his money by having amazing angles.

Riddle me this: (Bare with me end of a long day at work and I am trying to be funny)

If basic physics tell us that a larger surface area has more coverage area, and the further away from what you are covering the more surface area you cover (goalies call it cutting down the angle) wouldn't it make more sense for Giggy to wear the biggest pads possible, not just because as he is looking straight on at a shooter he covers more area, but also that if he has bigger pads he has to move less. Thus he is limiting his side to side movement, forward movement, well actually all movement because the pads he uses, that are 100% legal (I have never argued he is cheating or is doing anything illegal), are that much bigger. Therefore the argument stands that if he had smaller pads we can infer that he would be a worse goalie. Would he all of the sudden give up 6 goals a game by going to 35" pads no, even though most Wing's fans are hoping.

Physics tells us that the larger the surface area covered by the pads the less of the net that the goalie has to cover, it also means he is that much closer to the edge of the net, meaning that the player has less net to shoot at by default. If his pads shrink then there would be more net available until the goalie cut down the angle, but that is where passing comes into play. Back door open net!

You may say that a 1-0 game is exciting to you, but I just watched some crappy B's games that were 1-0, 2-0, 3-2 so on and so forth that were horrible games to watch. The D would sink into the zone and the goalie would cover the net. Boring. I miss the days were a 1-0 game meant that the netminder played out of his head, not that his team blocked 10 shots and he ate 15 shots in his oversized blocker or leg pads.

But again that is my opinion, but what I can say with complete certainty is that the NHL is trying to sell the game, if teams continue to play with half empty barns like the ones in Nashville, Detroit, etc. the league will go bankrupt, and that my friend is why the league is trying to turn this into Basketball on ice, that is why there is no more two line pass, that is why they went back to touch up offsides, that is why they have put in place rules to (I couldn't stop laughing as I typed this as it is not true) stop the trap!

Nice try, but you forget that stopping the puck isn't as easy as just letting it hit you. A goaltender has to move side to side, back into the net and come out. Next time you are watching a 5 on 3 powerplay, don't watch the puck, watch the goaltender.

Wearing larger pads for the sake of having larger pads doesn't turn a good goaltender into a great goaltender. It doesn't turn a great goaltender into an unbeatable goaltender.

What it may do is allow a positional goaltender, such as Giggy, to be bigger. This rarely translates into any real difference in play.

Don't hate the playa....

Seriously, put down the pipe buddy. That comparison is so far off mark, I don't even know how to respond to it.

Goaltenders are doing nothing that could be remotely considered in the same ball park as steroid use.

You don't think certain players abusing the way a rule is written (or not written) to gain an unfair advantage is a

similarity between the two situations?

You don't think certain players abusing the way a rule is written (or not written) to gain an unfair advantage is a

similarity between the two situations?

Steroids were illegal.

Show me one person who has ever been arrested for having goaltending equipment.

Regardless, when ever player has the ability to use the same equipment, it provides no advantage, fair or unfair. Simply because Giggy uses bigger equipment than Marty, doesn't make it unfair.

Each and every goaltender has the same access to and ability to use the same size equipment that Giggy does. How does this create any room for any sort of advantage?

It doesn't.

Nice try, but you forget that stopping the puck isn't as easy as just letting it hit you. A goaltender has to move side to side, back into the net and come out. Next time you are watching a 5 on 3 powerplay, don't watch the puck, watch the goaltender.

Wearing larger pads for the sake of having larger pads doesn't turn a good goaltender into a great goaltender. It doesn't turn a great goaltender into an unbeatable goaltender.

What it may do is allow a positional goaltender, such as Giggy, to be bigger. This rarely translates into any real difference in play.

Don't hate the playa....

5-3 is a lot different than 5-5 with two d-men blocking shots and passing lanes, but way to use the exception to prove your point.

5-3 is a lot different than 5-5 with two d-men blocking shots and passing lanes, but way to use the exception to prove your point.

It's not the exception. I just used an example that would be easy for all to understand.

My point is that a goaltender has to move, a lot. It isn't as easy as standing in front of the net.

Steroids were illegal.

Show me one person who has ever been arrested for having goaltending equipment.

Regardless, when ever player has the ability to use the same equipment, it provides no advantage, fair or unfair. Simply because Giggy uses bigger equipment than Marty, doesn't make it unfair.

Each and every goaltender has the same access to and ability to use the same size equipment that Giggy does. How does this create any room for any sort of advantage?

It doesn't.

Anabolic steroids were not listed as a controlled substance in the US until 1990. This is after Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire led the A's to the Series.

Every goaltender has the access to the equipment; however many of the better goaltenders are 'reflex' goaltenders and thusly would be hindered by equipment that doesn't fit properly. Goaltenders whose primary talent is positioning and who has very little reaction speed, like...say...Giguere, will benefit greatly from larger gear that covers more net, hiding his weakness.

Anabolic steroids were not listed as a controlled substance in the US until 1990. This is after Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire led the A's to the Series.

Every goaltender has the access to the equipment; however many of the better goaltenders are 'reflex' goaltenders and thusly would be hindered by equipment that doesn't fit properly. Goaltenders whose primary talent is positioning and who has very little reaction speed, like...say...Giguere, will benefit greatly from larger gear that covers more net, hiding his weakness.

You have yet to show how a goaltenders pads, that are completely legal, are in any way, shape or form, an unfair advantage.

In that last example, you are saying that because Giggy plays a different style than Marty, large pads create an unfair advantage.

That's no different than saying that Marty's smaller pads create an unfair advantage because they cater to his style of play.

EDIT: Also, your example of steroid use stated "80's and 90's" that's why I responded with the fact that they were illegal.

Edited by imisssergei

Guest CaliWingsNut
You have yet to show how a goaltenders pads, that are completely legal, are in any way, shape or form, an unfair advantage.

In that last example, you are saying that because Giggy plays a different style than Marty, large pads create an unfair advantage.

That's no different than saying that Marty's smaller pads create an unfair advantage because they cater to his style of play.

EDIT: Also, your example of steroid use stated "80's and 90's" that's why I responded with the fact that they were illegal.

Yet you fight so hard to prevent the change.... why?

Steroids in baseball were used most heavily in the 80s, but did affect the 90s because many of the users, even if no longer using, had benefitted greatly physically from using them.

And the difference between the gear used by Brodeur and the gear used by Giguere? Brodeur uses gear his size for safety reasons. Giguere uses gear that blocks extra net because he's not fast enough to stop a lot of those pucks. It's unfair because one goalie is using properly sized equipment and relying on his immense talent, while the other goalie is using grossly oversized equipment and relying on his being able to square to the shooter and cover extra amounts of net with his gear. If Giguere were to use Brodeur's gear, he'd probably still be in the NHL...but he would not be an elite goaltender. And that is the problem people have with his gear. It's the difference between a good goalie and a great one because it means he has to move much less, which eliminates his major weakness.