• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Goalie Pads

Rate this topic

Giguere is 6'1", 201 lbs. He's a big guy for a goalie. A couple of you complained that his pads are a lot bigger than retired goalies like Moog and Fuhr. Fuhr was 5'11", 184. Moog was 5'8", 170. That's like comparing apples to oranges.

Martin Brodeur is bigger than Giguere, and his pads are much smaller than Giguere's. Explain that one please.

Martin Brodeur is bigger than Giguere, and his pads are much smaller than Giguere's. Explain that one please.

Plus in an earlier thread complaining about this, I posted pics comparing Giguere and Ron Hextall.

Hextall was 6'3" 200 lbs. and his pads were much much smaller than Giguere's. It's an obvious example of how pad size has been ridiculously inflated by goaltenders over the years, and not just Giguere.

Plus in an earlier thread complaining about this, I posted pics comparing Giguere and Ron Hextall.

Hextall was 6'3" 200 lbs. and his pads were much much smaller than Giguere's. It's an obvious example of how pad size has been ridiculously inflated by goaltenders over the years, and not just Giguere.

Exactly...

Stop bitching about Giguere already.. take a look at Marc-Andre Fleury: His pads are exactly the same..

Different styles? Brodeur prefers smaller pads? I only posted because of the obvious differences between the size of both players previously compared. Someone who is 5'8" is not going to use 36" pads. Someone who is 6'1" will.

Different styles? Brodeur prefers smaller pads? I only posted because of the obvious differences between the size of both players previously compared. Someone who is 5'8" is not going to use 36" pads. Someone who is 6'1" will.

Actually Manny Legace uses 38" pads and he's 5'8" (on skates). That's how out of hand pad size has gotten.

Giguere's pads are legal.

But he's under investigation for tucking his chest protector into his "goalie pants".

That way, whenever he goes down into his butterfly the chesprotector rises way above his shoulder, which gives him an advantage, 5-hole wise..

I guess we'll here something soon about that.

How does the rise above his shoulders affect 5-hole coverage?

Giguere looks like he has a safe under his jersey. He always reminds me of that kid who wears shirts that are WAYYY too big for him, too.

And there's no doubt he wouldn't be as good as he si now if he had to have more proportionate pads. He's really not that great now, except in the playoffs, so is there any doubt with him backstopping a team during the regular seasonw ith smaller pads he might not even make it that far?

As for his pads being legal, people have already mentioned Brodeur and others saying that a standard pad size is not working, they need to have some sort of proportional measurement.

basically, the people defending the usual suspects of goalies,...Giggy, Legacy, Luongo, etc. Are mostly young people who never saw Ron Hextall, Grant Fhur or Andy Moog play the game. It floors me to hear some people sprout on and on about "well you never played goalie etc. etc." I played goalie with 1980 pads the other day, i got them for cheap. After a couple of seasons i got brand new pads. Suddenly i'm the next Dominic Hasek in my local beer league. There is a huge freaking difference.

basically, the people defending the usual suspects of goalies,...Giggy, Legacy, Luongo, etc. Are mostly young people who never saw Ron Hextall, Grant Fhur or Andy Moog play the game. It floors me to hear some people sprout on and on about "well you never played goalie etc. etc." I played goalie with 1980 pads the other day, i got them for cheap. After a couple of seasons i got brand new pads. Suddenly i'm the next Dominic Hasek in my local beer league. There is a huge freaking difference.

Just like if you played with a 1980 hockey stick it would be a huge diffrence from today light carbon fiber sticks. The game has advanced as equipment technology goes. Whats wrong with that?

Just like if you played with a 1980 hockey stick it would be a huge diffrence from today light carbon fiber sticks. The game has advanced as equipment technology goes. Whats wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with the technology improving. The problem is with the size.

Pads got lighter, absorbed less water, then goalies started wearing larger ones because they didn't get ridiculously heavy during the course of the game.

Nothing is wrong with the technology improving. The problem is with the size.

Pads got lighter, absorbed less water, then goalies started wearing larger ones because they didn't get ridiculously heavy during the course of the game.

[sarcasm] Well all im saying is we might as well not let players use carbon fiber sticks or skates that are light as a feather. The NHL should take away helmets too....yea that will get more people watching. And hey If were going to shrink goalie pads down to what they were then we might as well just change everyones equipment. Yea that wont change the game at all...it will make it more exciting! WHOOHOO. Cause changing the game is going to get more people in USA to watch hockey. Yea bad hockey ratings isnt because the person who is running the NHL has half a brain, no. Its because the goalie equipment. Of course it all makes sense now. [/sarcasm]

right,...uh huh,..cause there's a direct corilation between your two points.

None of us are arguing about how it's effecting ratings,...we're arguing how certain goalies in the league are gaining an unfair advantage by wearing Pads two or three times what is actually needed.

Your point actually backs up my own. Equipment has changed, goalie pads are much safer and lighter than they where 20 years ago, so having them be two to three times larger is pointless.

right,...uh huh,..cause there's a direct corilation between your two points.

None of us are arguing about how it's effecting ratings,...we're arguing how certain goalies in the league are gaining an unfair advantage by wearing Pads two or three times what is actually needed.

Your point actually backs up my own. Equipment has changed, goalie pads are much safer and lighter than they where 20 years ago, so having them be two to three times larger is pointless.

Exactly.

And cracking down on pad size will only reveal the truly elite goaltenders from the pretenders. The Brodeurs from the Legaces. Luongo will almost certainly still be an elite goalie, even with better fitting pads.

Don't blame Giguere. He's just taking advantage of the situation. He is doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Legace wearing 38'' inch pads is a little out of hand. Take it for what it's worth but my pads are about 5 years old, I've grown about 4-5 inches (5'4'' to roughly 5'9'' without skates, thank god I am a really late bloomer so I attained almost average height) and they are 34's (I think). They are too small now.

Ok...really. What is the reason for changing the size of goalie pads? It cant be to increase scoring. It cant be because some goalies are getting an unfair advantage either. You keep on bringing up Giggy. What unfair advantage does he have? Hes def not getting shutouts every night. Hes just like any other starting goalie so whats the problem. Its not like the wings or any other team have a hard time scoring on him.

Really...there is no reason to change the pads. It would just be another useless rule change. And knowing how dumb Bettman is he will prolly think its a great idea.

Ok...really. What is the reason for changing the size of goalie pads? It cant be to increase scoring. It cant be because some goalies are getting an unfair advantage either. You keep on bringing up Giggy. What unfair advantage does he have? Hes def not getting shutouts every night. Hes just like any other starting goalie so whats the problem. Its not like the wings or any other team have a hard time scoring on him.

Really...there is no reason to change the pads. It would just be another useless rule change. And knowing how dumb Bettman is he will prolly think its a great idea.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but why can't it be those two reasons?

Seems pretty clear that if they can reduce the size of goalie pads (while ensuring the safety of goaltenders) while keeping the size of the goal constant, there's going to be more net to shoot at, which will likely increase scoring.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but why can't it be those two reasons?

Seems pretty clear that if they can reduce the size of goalie pads (while ensuring the safety of goaltenders) while keeping the size of the goal constant, there's going to be more net to shoot at, which will likely increase scoring.

The NHL doesnt need more scoring thats why. So theres no point to even mess with the goalies way of playing. You wanna mess with how a goalie plays then lets take away all the flex and curve on sticks that players get. Yea that would be dumb too...just like messing with the goalie pads.

The NHL doesnt need more scoring thats why. So theres no point to even mess with the goalies way of playing. You wanna mess with how a goalie plays then lets take away all the flex and curve on sticks that players get. Yea that would be dumb too...just like messing with the goalie pads.

The curves on sticks are tightly regulated. Goalie pads are regulated, but very poorly. Giguere and Legace are prime examples of this fact.

The curves on sticks are tightly regulated. Goalie pads are regulated, but very poorly. Giguere and Legace are prime examples of this fact.

That's laughable.

Before EVERY game, an NHL official measures the pads of each goaltender.

Stick curves are only measured if the coach of the opposing team requests a measurement.

At that, it's only one specific player.

Read this on the topic a couple pages back

Giguere: 6'1", 200lbs.

Brodeur: 6'2", 215lbs.

Marty's actually bigger than Giguere and uses significantly smaller pads. With the Brodeur factor in play, I don't think Giguere can justify that max-size equipment.

Point being goailies just need to wear pads their size.

Giguere is a good goalie, but wow.

060607giguere.jpg

Edited by tommingthepuck96

That's laughable.

Before EVERY game, an NHL official measures the pads of each goaltender.

Stick curves are only measured if the coach of the opposing team requests a measurement.

At that, it's only one specific player.

I would say a slightly illegal curve is less of cheating than lil Manny Legace wearing 38 inch pads. I mean hell, he's only 69 inches tall. Using basic human proporton, legs are typically about half a person's height.

Based on this, 6'2" Martin Brodeur should have legs that are approximately 37 inches long. But as a goalie's leg pad is not intended to cover his entire leg up to his waist, Brodeur wears 35" pads.

So Manny's legs are about 35 inches long. Using Brodeur as an example, shouldn't he then be wearing 33" pads? Yet Legace wears 38" pads.

Tell me that wearing ridiculously oversized equipment is not cheating again?

Don't blame Giguere. He's just taking advantage of the situation. He is doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Legace wearing 38'' inch pads is a little out of hand. Take it for what it's worth but my pads are about 5 years old, I've grown about 4-5 inches (5'4'' to roughly 5'9'' without skates, thank god I am a really late bloomer so I attained almost average height) and they are 34's (I think). They are too small now.

They would be too small for you. My son was wearing 34's around the same size as you and when he took the same sprout, the pads became too small. Had he played another year, he would have been in 36's.

Some interesting discussion on this topic. Some guys/girls who know a lot about goalies and equipment (love the comment about size of pads and style - a mobile goalie will give up some size to be quicker and more agile) and some who know squat (the five hole is between the legs, not over the shoulders, pads can't possibly be 2 to 3 times too big - at 38x11, thats 418 sq inches divided by 2 times too big divided by say 9 inches wide = 23 inches of height. My son was wearing 27 inch pads when he was 10. :crazy: )

There isn't a goalie in the league who isn't making sure they are pushing the rules to the limit but at the same time making sure they don't go over the limit. Duh - they are paid to stop pucks. I don't see how Giguere is a lousy goalie who only makes saves because of his equipment. They can all use the same equipment. Does his size help? Of course it does. He relies on size and positioning more than (some) other goalies because that's what works for him. His practices and preparation are going to all be about angles and positioning. Because of his size, he can play further back in the net and move less. He doesn't need to be Dominic Hasek. Hasek needs to be mobile and however else you would describe his style and make all of these weird saves because he constantly gets himself out of position because he has to come out further, challenge more and react quickly. That doesn't make him a better goalie, just one who's more "interesting" to watch. Watch Kipper when he's on his game. His reactions and lateral movement are phenomenal and most importantly the puck seems to just keep hitting him in the chest because he is so good positionally. Those things work against him in a shootout - he's easy to fake out one on one because of how quick he reacts to movement.

They've already dropped goalie pads from 12 to 11 inches wide. They could probably go to 10 or even thinner without creating injury risk. The height of the pads is largely irrelevant. The pad has to be high enough to meet the pant to cover the upper leg. Reduce the height of the pad, increase the length of the pants - nothing much changes. You might prevent the pads from touching in a butterfly, but goals don't go through the five hole once the goalie is down, they go through there on the way down and on the way down the height of the pads is irrelevant.