• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kylee

can the Predators upet the Red Wings?

Rate this topic

Of all the teams that could possibly have finished 8th in the Western Conference, this is the team I wanted to face the least. This is for a few reasons:

1. Their goaltending of late has been good. Ellis has played relatively well of late and we all know that a hot goaltender can beat the best of offensive teams in a best of 7 series. While he isn't a Luongo or a Kiprusoff, doesn't mean he still can't beat us. Look back to Edmonton and Roloson for a good example of this.

2. Other than possibly Chicago and Edmonton, Nashville has been the hottest team in the Western Conference that was trying to get in. (San Jose is without a doubt the hottest team in the league right now, but they had their playoff ticket punched for a little while now, so they don't count). The Predators have had to play playoff style hockey for over the last month just to try and get in so they will be prepared for them. Vancouver slumped themselves right out of the playoffs, and we all know Calgary is a day and night team. Haven't really seen Colorado of late, but they seemed to have done well.

3. Of all the divisions in the NHL, the Central has been the one that has given us the most problems this year. We pretty much took care of the Northwest Division (could have played Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, or Colorado), and the Pacific Division we did well against too.

As for the other teams we could have played, the one I wanted to face was Vancouver. As mentioned before they were slumping coming down the stretch. The team couldn't produce any offense, even though they have the Sedin twins and Naslund, and Luongo was not playing like the Luongo of norm the last two weeks or so.

EDIT: (Forgot to put prediction) I say this will be one of, if not the toughest test for our team in the playoffs this year. It will be a hard fought series, but in the end I will say Detroit wins in 6 games.

1. You haven't been watching lately. Ellis' hot streak ended after the 1-0 game that we beat him. He was pulled the next game after allowing 3 first period goals.

2. We beat Colorado all 4 times we played them and 3 of the 4 were shutouts. Yes, the Preds have been playing for their lives lately but they lost 4-1 to Chicago last night so the kinks in the armour are showing.

3. We took the Central team to lightly and they were up for us. That won't happen in the playoffs. And we won the series against the preds 5-3.

Vancouver? You're kidding right. A 6 hour flight and to play against the best goalie in the league. He's not playing well today but that could change instantly. Vanvouver would be the team that I would LEAST want to play. When we have lost in the past is was because of hot goaltenders - Giggy, Roloson, Kiper...

As others have said, if the Wings come to play, they will be fine, and should win. If they don't, Nashville could definitely take advantage of that and get the upset. I feel that the Wings totally control their own destiny in this series, unlike in some others (say against the Ducks) where even the Wings at their best could still possibly lose (not saying they would, just saying it's possible). This is a series where, if the Wings play their best, they will not lose because the Preds cannot compare talent-wise. But, we all know they will be looking to prove something, looking to move past the first round after making the playoffs the last three seasons but losing in the first round each time. The Wings will have to be sharp, but I will predict Wings in 6.

Well Im happy to play Nashville, for the Travel reason alone, Im looking beyond the 1st round with hopes that Detroit has played a team in their own time zone finnished it rather quickly and rested up some players and got some back ready for round 2.

The series its self I have a feeling will be 2 or 3 real close 1 point games and then 2 huge games where the wings go up 3 or 4 goals. The wings have done well in those "close mock up games" scoring late and important goals at the end of the season. I cant see Nashville winning 2 games in a row.

Guest lnvincible
The Predators can, but I don't think they will.

Even looking down the line , its gonna very tuff for Detroit i think. If they beat Nashvelle , they have to worrie about Anniy and the sharks. (which are looking pretty scary right now) I really hope detroit meets anniy so we can smash them >.< im still upset because of last.

You know that is the best idea I have heard in a long time!!!! Seriously that could work. Mac could retain his hero of hockeytown title and do little to keep it!!!!

Right on!

Now any team can beat any other team on any given night (calgary...edmonton) we just hope none achieve that in four games of any series against us.

Yes.

Except for Chicago, this is the best matchup for Detroit. Nashville is much closer than the alternatives, has a less-than-intimidating arena, has unproven goaltending, and a lack of difference makers up front. If Detroit plays their game, they will be fine.

That being said, Nashville will work their tail off and could be pesky. Ellis has been playing really well in net. He's not good enough, even at the top of his game, to beat the Wings in a seven game series if the Wings drive to the net, screen him and tip shots. But if Detroit's effort is iffy, we'll hear complaints about Detroit's bad luck to run into another "hot" goaltender in the first round.

Chicago??? 2-7. I think Chicago is the last team I want to play, seen as how we have the worst record against them.

I am not so sure you have listened to the arena when on TV. I have been to the arena, the fans are loud, supportive, aggressive, nasty and electric. They are pretty f'n loud. The seats will be sold out, for sure. Will the Joe? Who knows... I can tell you after being to 18 games this season, the fans in the Joe are quiet and unmotivated. Usually if you are loud and rowdy someone gives you s*** for it.

1. You haven't been watching lately. Ellis' hot streak ended after the 1-0 game that we beat him. He was pulled the next game after allowing 3 first period goals.

2. We beat Colorado all 4 times we played them and 3 of the 4 were shutouts. Yes, the Preds have been playing for their lives lately but they lost 4-1 to Chicago last night so the kinks in the armour are showing.

3. We took the Central team to lightly and they were up for us. That won't happen in the playoffs. And we won the series against the preds 5-3.

Vancouver? You're kidding right. A 6 hour flight and to play against the best goalie in the league. He's not playing well today but that could change instantly. Vanvouver would be the team that I would LEAST want to play. When we have lost in the past is was because of hot goaltenders - Giggy, Roloson, Kiper...

1. Did one of our goalies get pulled after 3 in the first. Differance? They came back and won that game.

2. We just lost to Chicago by four goals as well.

3. Did we take every Central team lightly, since we got beat up by all of them the worst this year.

I do think the wings will win it, hopefully the Wings do not have the same view as some of us cause they may not come out to win.

hey folks, now i know that it's still not set in stone that the Red Wings are playing the Predators in the 1st round, but it's most likely.

and id like to ask a few things to everyone on the board here, and please, for my sake at the very least, be as unbiased as you possibly can.

do you think that the Predators have any chance of upsetting Detroit and stealing a series?

i really do not think so myself, but i also didn't think so in 06 when the Oil trounced us.

good tendencies of the Nashville team:

+young defense

+solid goaltending

+cinderella story

bad tendencies of the Nashville team:

-suspect offense?

-unexperienced goaltending, maybe the entire team overall

-has never won a playoff series

to be totally honest though im a bit scared even with all of this considered because of the Oilers upset a few years ago, i understand we are much different, but if Hasek can't hold it together, Nashville may be able to do some real damage.

and please, none of this "any team can beat any team" rhetoric, i understand this of course. its just a bit dry and redundant

your thoughts?

their goaltending is not solid; ellis will shut someone out and then give up 3 goals in 10 minutes. Mason isn't much to crow about either.

they are .500 41-32-8....they have 230 gf and 229 ga, unless calgary loses their last game, they will be the only team to get into the playoffs who didnt have a winning record. They are this years new york islanders...

Jason Arnott

Greg deVries, Arnott and Gelinas have all won cups. Of course Gelinas is gone for the year.

The majority of the team has been in the playoffs with the Preds the last two years with the debacles against the effing sharks.

If Nashville can stay out of the box then I believe we have a chance to pull the upset. We have outscored you guys even strength when playing against the Wings this season, but you have killed us when on the PP.

As always the goaltending will be a huge factor. Will Hasek be lights out? Will Ellis get rattled? Will we continue to yank our goalies because of weak goals?

The thing that we love about the Predators this year is the never say quit attitude and hustle. No matter what the score, the guys play hard and fight back. We feel we are never out of a game regardless because of this.

The Predators have to overcome the "the deer in the headlights" reaction that seems to crop up when in the playoffs.

Our powerplay sucks and I expect that to continue against you guys for the series. We cringe when we get a PP, more often than not as fans we would like to decline the penalty lol.

Here's to a great series regardless.

Go Predators.

Will Ellis get rattled?

If Nashville winds up beating Detroit, it will almost certainly be in large part to top-notch goaltending by Ellis. The Wings have a tendency to make slightly above average goaltenders really, really good. We were the ones who put J.S. Giguere and Dwayne Roloson on the map. Ellis' performance the other day made me pretty nervous.

But I don't mind playing Nashville simply for the travel reasons. Staying up past 1 o'clock for an over-time game in Western Canada can get pretty aggravating. I expect this series to go six games and resemble our last series with Nashville or our series with Calgary last year. Detroit should take a couple games early on, but the Predators will make it interesting by winning when they get back to Nashville.

I don't like how the Wings have played over the last two months. I understand all the injuries are the reason. But going into the playoffs playing like sht with different line combos every other game has me less confident of the Wings chances for a long playoff run. That said, the Wings should not lose to Nashville.

My Prediction: Wings in 7

FRANZEN TO DOMINATE PREDS!

It's gonna come down to Defense and the PK. The 'usual'. (Wings cough up about 1/2 goal less per game than the Preds.)

Oh - and Tommy Holmstrom's ass. You hear me Homer? If you see you stick-handling, or bringing it up the ice, or shooting, or stupid stuff like that? I'm gonna be pissed. Park it buddy.

aloha

It's gonna come down to Defense and the PK. The 'usual'. (Wings cough up about 1/2 goal less per game than the Preds.)

Oh - and Tommy Holmstrom's ass. You hear me Homer? If you see you stick-handling, or bringing it up the ice, or shooting, or stupid stuff like that? I'm gonna be pissed. Park it buddy.

aloha

Yes. yes yes yes yes yes.

I think they're going to try and I think they're going to think that this year is their year, but I think Wings in 5.

Because of Holmstrom's ass. :) :)