• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

the state of the locker room

Rate this topic

I know there was a thread devoted to todays game, but there was something mentioned by the commentators on NBC today, during one of the intermissions I believe. I don't even remember the analyst.

It was more of them trying to create a goalie controversy here in Detroit. And I REALLY do NOT want this thread turned into a Hasek vs Osgood debate. The topic is old and overhyped. This thread is about them saying that if Hasek doesn't get the nod to play and start and pretty much be the guy here he tends to be a locker room problem. I had never heard that before. I know goalies are usually strange with their quirks, but has anyone on here ever heard of Hasek throwing tantrems?

Question 2: Who else if anybody seems to act like that, or even past Wings were locker room issues?

I think the biggest reason I started this thread, is because I never hear of this going on in Detroit. I was just a little stunned when that analyst spoke about that. Does anyone have any insight about this or comment?

there is an outside chance that the analysts you mention have their head up their ***es, hun. I wouldn't worry about it, at all.

Dom and Oz, the sexy Jennings tandem, are just fine. So are the rest of the Wings.

Guest Crymson

Who was the guy last season who claimed that all of the players hated Babcock and that the "locker room will implode by Christmas"?

Who was the guy last season who claimed that all of the players hated Babcock and that the "locker room will implode by Christmas"?

Was that Hull? I remember he said something, not sure if it was that or something about Datsyuk.

Goalies are an odd lot. They march to the beat of a different oboe.

Yeah, there have been ego issues in the past, in Detroit and elsewhere, but the guys we have now are over that. Too mature. Ozzie is quoted somewhere saying words to the effect that several years ago he and Dom might have had problems, but they are now at the point in their careers that they want what's best for the team and that egos don't matter. Totally paraphrased, but that's the gist of it.

Those bumblebrains on NBC get very little of that sort of thing right. They're probably wondering why Cheli wasn't in for Chicago today. And, yes, I do think they like to stir things up.

You mean the same guy that Brett Hull got his information from when he said Pavel Datsyuk hated Babcock and the entire Red Wings organization and wasn't going to re-sign with the Wings?

andy strickland. blues guy.

Guest Mr. Byng

What goes on in Milbury's mind when he talks like this and he's propably never visited Red Wings' locker room? He sounded like a gossip journalist.

I know there was a thread devoted to todays game, but there was something mentioned by the commentators on NBC today, during one of the intermissions I believe. I don't even remember the analyst.

It was more of them trying to create a goalie controversy here in Detroit. And I REALLY do NOT want this thread turned into a Hasek vs Osgood debate. The topic is old and overhyped. This thread is about them saying that if Hasek doesn't get the nod to play and start and pretty much be the guy here he tends to be a locker room problem. I had never heard that before. I know goalies are usually strange with their quirks, but has anyone on here ever heard of Hasek throwing tantrems?

Question 2: Who else if anybody seems to act like that, or even past Wings were locker room issues?

I think the biggest reason I started this thread, is because I never hear of this going on in Detroit. I was just a little stunned when that analyst spoke about that. Does anyone have any insight about this or comment?

I was flipping between this game and the New Orleans Hornets/Golden State Warriors game in the NBA going on at the same time this afternoon, so I didn't really hear anything about it.

This is not the 3-ring goalie drama circus a few years ago of Hasek-Joseph-Legace.

Hasek and Osgood, I am assuming at least, got along well last season as well as this season. They both seem to put their egos aside and support each other.

Shouldn't be any locker room controversy I think whoever the goaltender that is starting.

Rumor has it that Lilja is angry that Lidstrom plays 30 minutes a night instead of him, and is even more angry that Downey is being asked to do all the fighting instead of him.

haha i heard the same rumour, dats has been taking boxing lessons and steroids because he wants to fight his own battles.

I know goalies are usually strange with their quirks, but has anyone on here ever heard of Hasek throwing tantrems?

He did walk out on Buffalo in the '97 playoffs for un-named reasons, but speculation at the time was that he was too flaky to cope with the pressure.

I think we'll be just fine. The press obviously does not know what goes on the locker room.

Last year Hull gave Datsyuk a 0% chance of being back in Detroit. He resigned with the team long-term and probably gave up alot of money from another club in the process.

We were supposed to lose in the first round to a red-hot Calgary club that had the defense and the goaltending to make a stanley cup run. We scored 5+ on them 3 games during that series.

We were supposed to get demolished by a San Jose team that was supposed to manhandle a smaller, weaker Wings squad. We move on, and our weak defense is the reason for it.

Now they say we won't get far because a.) we lack depth (more 20 goal scorers than any other team) and b.) our goaltending is questionable (both guys are in the top 5 for GAA over the past two years)

I really wouldn't take what the press says to heart.

Guest Crymson
Rumor has it that Lilja is angry that Lidstrom plays 30 minutes a night instead of him, and is even more angry that Downey is being asked to do all the fighting instead of him.

Also, Downey is getting angry that Zetterberg is taking more shots than he is.

Other than "Doc" or whatever his name is, their play-by-play guy, I've never had much respect for Eddie and Pierre. Pierre always tries to scrutinize every minor aspect of play -- why a forward missed a shot, what's wrong with someone's psyche, whatever. It's goddamned speculation, and the guy gives awful interviews.

andy strickland. blues guy.

Wasn't there also a Sharks color man who speculated that the team hated Babs early in a west coast road trip last season? I think he was forced into giving a public apology a day later. I seem to remember that.

Didn't Dom turn the dressing room into a mess when he made his comeback in 2004 causing major issues with Cujo? He also was a problem in Ottawa in 2005...so I guess Milbury may have just been speculating based on the past. I do think all of the quotes this year from Dom and Ozzie have been fairly diplomatic. I do worry about Dom having a relapse into mediocrity (see Wednesday against Chicago), but he seems to bounce back pretty well the following game when he struggles.

...so I guess Milbury may have just been speculating based on the past.

That.

I really don't get why people want to look for trouble where there is none. We might spend our time better, worrying about the refs and missed calls, and injuries, and other factors that will make the Cup run hard enough, without scrounging for drama which doesn't exist and isn't a factor.

Hasek and Osgood are both mature professionals. Neither of them have any interest in a pissing match, now or ever -- unlike the fans and commentators, who seem to want this to be true, for some reason. Commentators get paid to say something "interesting," regardless of whether or not it has any basis in fact. Believe what you want, but know that a lot of what you see and hear is hype, often augmented by a very vivid imagination.

Besides, they're as likely as not to say the exact opposite, the next time you see them. <_<

The only thing I had ever heard about issues between Babs and a player was, that Maltby and him did not get along. I had heard that from different sources. Their reliability was questionable at best though. I usually have to see it to believe it.