• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rick zombo

Official: Osgood to start Game 5

Rate this topic

Even though I'm a Preds fan, I love Babcock as a coach, and enjoy reading/hearing his comments. He obviously knows his stuff, and most of the time, has his team executing nearly to perfection.

Still, this is my favorite quote from your link:

It will be Osgood's first playoff start since 2004 with St. Louis, his first postseason start for the Wings since April 23, 2001, vs. Los Angeles.

How'd that one work out for you?

Babcock made the right decision. Thumbs up to Hasek for not throwing a fit.

I couldn't agree more. In the past, I could definitely see Dom throwing a temper-tantrum and being a distraction, but he has really changed since he came back last year. I'm extremely impressed with his attitude, and I hope he stays sharp if needed.

Even though I'm a Preds fan, I love Babcock as a coach, and enjoy reading/hearing his comments. He obviously knows his stuff, and most of the time, has his team executing nearly to perfection.

Knocking on Ozzie are ya? That was seven years ago. Surely you aren't going to bring that up to make yourself feel better about your Preds facing him tomorrow, right?

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Knocking on Ozzie are ya? That was seven years ago. Surely you aren't going to bring that up to make yourself feel better about your Preds facing him tomorrow, right?

Nah, not really. Osgood has owned us over the years. I'd much rather face Hasek. Just looking for any reason to be optimistic about going to the Joe!

Good stuff. Babs hit it dead on, "Pucks just aren't hitting Dom right now." Some of them have been his fault (like the third goal last night), some have just found eyes through him (the tips, deflections like the one off Kronwall's butt, etc.), and some have just been plain unlucky like the one that hit the seam in the glass. But there's no time to play through it like there was in the regular season. Osgood was great for most of the season and it's time to shake things up. He earned himself a chance if we needed him and I have no doubt he'll run with it. And if we advance and we need Dom in the future, I'm sure he'll be ready.

But for now, we need Osgood to be Osgreat and get us out of this series. The team played better once he came in (some of that was probably him making a couple good saves early) and they better keep it up or they're going to be golfing. The effort has been horrible. 13 and 96 were the only forwards to show up yesterday. Z, Flip, Franzen, Cleary need to get their heads out of their asses, same with most of the defensemen.

Plus, now that Osgood is in, maybe the happy feelings from the majority of the fanbase will make their way over to the Joe. We're still winning this series.

Hasek is a lot classier a player than people give him credit for generally. He's had issues in his past, but he's been nothing but a model citizen since he came to Detroit. And I love the fact that he's a stand-up guy. How many goalies out there really would say something like "This is the worst hockey I've played in my entire career"? He's not hiding from it. He knows more than everyone that he can play better. And he will if he gets back in there. And if he doesn't get back in, then I salute the greatest goalie in the history of the league on a great career, and hope that he can close it out by holding the Cup anyway.

Edited by Packer487

2-3.gif

Pretty damn good actually he won the first 2 ... And looky looky that is all we need to complete the best 2 out of 3

so that bit of history is quite nice... thanks for reminding me WINGS IN 6!!!

You know, even in retrospect, I think you've gotta start Dom in Game 4. You've gotta give him the chance. I think he and everyone needed to see that. When you make a change like this, you gotta be able to do it with some confidence and you do it after Game 3 and the second Osgood lets in a weaker goal (it'll happen, it happens to everyone) you'd be wondering if Hasek should be the guy. You had to give him the chance to prove either that he could do it or he couldn't. I think that's a lot more important than people realize.

You know, even in retrospect, I think you've gotta start Dom in Game 4. You've gotta give him the chance. I think he and everyone needed to see that. When you make a change like this, you gotta be able to do it with some confidence and you do it after Game 3 and the second Osgood lets in a weaker goal (it'll happen, it happens to everyone) you'd be wondering if Hasek should be the guy. You had to give him the chance to prove either that he could do it or he couldn't. I think that's a lot more important than people realize.

I don't think anyone's arguing that Dom shouldn't have gotten the start for Game 4. Game 5 is a different story.

.....And BTW, I completely agree with you in regards to giving Dom the chance last night to prove whether he could or couldn't do it.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I don't think anyone's arguing that Dom shouldn't have gotten the start for Game 4. Game 5 is a different story.

Sometimes when you give a guy a chance to prove whether they could do it, they don't......and its too late to make a change.

its sounds like he was talking hypothetically about after game 3 people were wondering if Ozzie should start game 4 becuase we were sick of seeing two goals b2b to quickly... AND game 4 was when dom bounces back from a bad game/loss the game before...

its sounds like he was talking hypothetically about after game 3 people were wondering if Ozzie should start game 4 becuase we were sick of seeing two goals b2b to quickly... AND game 4 was when dom bounces back from a bad game/loss the game before...

Yeah, I misread it and made my edits.

Plus, now that Osgood is in, maybe the happy feelings from the majority of the fanbase will make their way over to the Joe. We're still winning this series.

Hasek is a lot classier a player than people give him credit for generally. He's had issues in his past, but he's been nothing but a model citizen since he came to Detroit. And I love the fact that he's a stand-up guy. How many goalies out there really would say something like "This is the worst hockey I've played in my entire career"? He's not hiding from it. He knows more than everyone that he can play better. And he will if he gets back in there. And if he doesn't get back in, then I salute the greatest goalie in the history of the league on a great career, and hope that he can close it out by holding the Cup anyway.

says a lot, the unholy joy exhibited over Hasek's departure, doesn't it? Usually, that's reserved for the opponents, not your own goalie, but whatever...

Dom is honest and always takes responsibility for his play if he's bad. When he's great, he gives the credit to the team. That practice hasn't served him well here, but that's how he is. Couldn't agree more with your post, Pack.

While I think you're a lot more optimistic than I could be about Hasek playing better if he gets a chance, I think it's definitely fair to say that he's handled this year in a lot classier manner than most might've expected.

But, I think it's pretty dumb of him to make the comments he did. We're not done yet and say Osgood plays well but he gets injured and we have to go back to Hasek, comments like that don't exactly instill confidence in the team.

"Oh great, we get to go back to the goalie who's playing the worst hockey in his career..."

It's like Legace all over again. I totally understand he's frustrated, but he pretty much admitted defeat with those comments. Hell, half of me wonders if Babcock wouldn't have started Hasek in Game 5 if he had a better attitude. Your goalie's a backbone and he's given up backbreakers and is saying that he's never played worse in his life. That's just no good...

.....And BTW, I completely agree with you in regards to giving Dom the chance last night to prove whether he could or couldn't do it.

Plenty of people said before that Osgood should start and definitely in retrospect people were saying it, but I wasn't really arguing anyways, I was just thinking about it at the time and thought I'd post it.

says a lot, the unholy joy exhibited over Hasek's departure, doesn't it? Usually, that's reserved for the opponents, not your own goalie, but whatever...

Dom is honest and always takes responsibility for his play if he's bad. When he's great, he gives the credit to the team. That practice hasn't served him well here, but that's how he is. Couldn't agree more with your post, Pack.

That's not true. The fans don't give Dom the credit he deserves, but his teammates absolutely do. Just today Drapes said that it wasn't Dom's fault.

Plenty of people said before that Osgood should start and definitely in retrospect people were saying it, but I wasn't really arguing anyways, I was just thinking about it at the time and thought I'd post it.

Well, I look as those people as erratic and ones that let their emotions get the best of them. Most solid hockey minds will tell you that Dom absolutely should've started Game 4. That's why Babs had him in there.

That's not true. The fans don't give Dom the credit he deserves, but his teammates absolutely do. Just today Drapes said that it wasn't Dom's fault.

Of course, I meant the fans here, Mac. The team knows he didn't lose by himself. They were involved (or not involved enough, to be more precise) in the loss.

Can't we just allow for the fact that Hasek is taking the blame and being a man about it, and not nitpick him to death, because he didn't say the "right" thing? If he says nothing, he's sulking. If he speaks up and says what he feels, he's his own worst enemy and damaging the team somehow.

Jeez, make up your minds. What exactly is he supposed to do??

Of course, I meant the fans here, Mac. The team knows he didn't lose by himself. They were involved (or not involved enough, to be more precise) in the loss.

Can't we just allow for the fact that Hasek is taking the blame and being a man about it, and not nitpick him to death, because he didn't say the "right" thing? If he says nothing, he's sulking. If he speaks up and says what he feels, he's his own worst enemy and damaging the team somehow.

Jeez, make up your minds. What exactly is he supposed to do??

I'm not knocking him at all. I give him a lot of credit for his maturity in the coaches decision. While I can understand why some people might be frustrated that Dom made those comments since they remind people of Manny, I still think if Dom gets the call again this post season, he'll step up and the team will around him.