• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

MVP of the Series

Rate this topic

I just wanted to get your guys' thoughts on who was our best player in this series.

For me it's Datsyuk. He was awesome in all 3 zones, and constantly danced around their defense out there creating chances. Also, he battled defensively like there was no tomorrow. Personally, I've never seen him play better and lead more by example.

The next best player of the series for me, believe it or not was Hudler, and the stats probably show the same. However, Datsyuk is still the MVP as far as I'm concerned.

Hudler or Franzen. Both of these guys have really come to play this series. Franzen did struggle a bit during Games 3 and 4, but he's been great in all the others.

Datsyuk has been fantastic as well. It's amazing how he's been so defensivily responsible, yet can also put up points on the scoreboard as well. He needs serious consideration for the Selke; him and Zetterberg both.

It's a tough call for me who the exact MVP is. All three of those players played great, and contributed greatly in the teams success, and winning the series.

Hudler

Kronwall

Zetterberg

Ellis

pick one. by contrast Ellis could win this but in general I'd pick Zetterberg here.

he'd some bad luck to not put the pucks in but was generating a lot of offense

and playing a lot of minutes wearing down Preds D-men

For me it's Datsyuk. He was awesome in all 3 zones, and constantly danced around their defense out there creating chances. Also, he battled defensively like there was no tomorrow. Personally, I've never seen him play better and lead more by example.

Datsyuk gets my vote too for the exact same reasons you listed there. I thought he was excellent all-round. Numerous times he was also the 1st player to enter a scrum to back up a teammate which was great to see also. :thumbup:

kronwall. every game he was making an impact

I like your thinking... I've read some people putting him down for his play in Round 1 but I disagree... he is fun to watch. Always stepping up and making a hit from out of nowhere - not afraid to step in on an offensive chance - mucks it out in the corners - always quick to the move the puck up the ice, always looking for the big pass. I really like him.

Hudler, because not one of us expected him to be soo dominate

I'm pretty sure MVP's go to a team's most valuable player. Just so you know.

Edited by Doggy

well is 5 points (think 5) on the 4th line not dominate, or MVP worthy

You post implied he deserved the MVP based on our expectations of him not on whether or not he's been our best. He has been great but behind Lidstrom and Kronwall in my view.

This thread is kind of an allegory for Lidstrom's career, aint it? Completely ignored in the present, but respected and lauded more than any other in retrospect.

Lidstrom was my MVP, and he'll have to be MVP every series for us to win. He's so sound positionally and made so many simple plays to break up Nashville rushes, it's easy to take what he does for granted.

I thought Franzen had a fantastic series as well, and although he's mocked for some of his missed opportunities, I thought Filppula was great in transition all series long and left Nashville defenders in the dust in the neutral zone.

I love Ozzie, but he cannot be considered the MVP. Our team defense has been absolutely incredible, and unlike Dom, he put himself in a good position to face the very few shots he was going to get in the first place. All our goalie has to do is not screw up, and Ozzie has done that.

Datsyuk, then Osgood. I think had we played Hasek in game 5, we would have lost. I think this series was ripe for an upset if Osgood hadn't have played. That's why I chose Ozzie second, even though he was only involved in the last 2, yet most improtant games of the series.

Datsyuk is clearly number one. Nobody could handle him for the Preds. Dats was skating all around those players like they were cones in the street.

Kronwall was ridiculous. If this were any other NHL team (aka any team without Nick Lidstrom), Kronwall wouldve been the best defenseman on the ice for the Wings.

Id have liked to see Datsyuk score some more when we needed him. Hudler cant be overlooked here. Franzen was a little wishy-washy for me. Lidstrom was his typical self, but I was a little disappointed in his offensive presence too. Osgood may have been our MVP had he played more than 2.5 games. Still, no matter how you slice it and regardless of how well the defense played, 1 goal in 2.5 PLAYOFF games is something to talk about.

Props to the Wings for a team effort.

This thread is kind of an allegory for Lidstrom's career, aint it? Completely ignored in the present, but respected and lauded more than any other in retrospect.

Great.

Just great - now I gotta go read the dictionary.

Thanks a lot.