• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

betterREDthandead

World Championships thread

Rate this topic

Figured we needed a thread to discuss the World Championships. Started today. USA and Canada are in the same group and play on Tuesday in Halifax. US beat Latvia today and plays Slovenia on Sunday.

Also interesting: Hungary qualified for next years Championships, the first time they've played in the IIHF's top division in 70 years, back when there weren't any lower divisions.

Any links to rosters?

Rosters and everything else are at www.iihf.com.

The American team looks much, much stronger than in the past. Much better between the pipes with Thomas instead of Grahame. And the Sabres didn't make the playoffs, so we get Jason Pominville and Drew Stafford to skate with Kessel and Kane.

Thanks guys. Its a shame they always start this tournament before the NHL playoffs are over. If that wasn't the case, Sweden's NT would be wearing red and white instead of blue and yellow!

HALIFAX – Dressed in their 1960 throwback jersey, Team USA topped Latvia 4-0 to win their opening game of the 2008 IIHF World Championships. Solid goaltending by Tim Thomas and clutch special teams scoring helped secure the win.

The Americans scored in each period and outshot Latvia 49-24.

Team USA began by keeping much of the action in the Latvian end of the ice. Their passing was crisp and the ability to gain the zone in sustaining an attack was equally effective. The Americans peppered Latvian netminder Edgars Masalskis with shots throughout. On the power play they were equally impressive, scoring all four goals with the man advantage.

"The powerplay was cooking," said Patrick Kane. "We've got a lot of young players but still we are going to try and win a goal medal."

Dustin Brown capitalized on one of those man advantage opportunities when he scored at 7:41 of the first period. After Jekabs Redlihs was whistled off for holding, Team USA wasted no time as a Paul Martin slapper was initially stopped by Masalskis but Brown was there on the doorstep to put it home.

While most of the action favored the Americans, there was one exceptional opportunity for Latvia in the first period. Juris Stals was alone in front of the net and fired a shot that was stopped by Thomas.

As the game wore on, the Latvians grew confident and found their stride in the middle frame. Aleksandrs Nizivijs fed a neat pass to Kaspars Daugavins who fanned on it. But several minutes later, Martins Cipuls sent a one-timer on net that Thomas gobbled up.

"I played Latvia about a decade ago and I remember they had a lot of veteran players then, but they are not a bad team. "In fact, I played against (Herberts) Vasiljevs in my first IHL (International Hockey League) game, and he scored the winner."

USA forward Patrick Kane scored his first-ever senior World Championship goal off a pass from Paul Martin. After accepting the pass, Kane skated slightly inside the top of the left faceoff circle and let go a wrister that beat Masalskis, putting Team USA up 2-0.

Kane would finish the game with a goal and two assists. Paul Martin added three assists.

Team USA threatened to increase their lead when Agris Saviels pulled down Lee Stempniak and a penalty shot was signaled. Stempniak went in without much finesse and determined to shoot. Masalskis rose to the occasion by stopping the shot, which brought the largely Latvian loving crowd to life.

As is World Championship custom, Latvian fans came prepared to contribute their usual tournament mayhem. This included the usual banging on drums and plenty of chanting and clapping. Now Halifax natives are getting a view of Latvian pride on full display.

Co-captain Zach Parise notched his first of the tournament in the third, as did Patrick O’Sullivan, who closed out the scoring.

In celebration of the IIHF’s 100th anniversary, each of the sixteen teams is wearing retro jerseys from a period in their nation’s hockey history. The Americans are wearing their 1960 jersey which honors the gold medal team from Squaw Valley.

In the waning minutes, Latvia peppered Thomas with shots but could not get the puck past him as he registered the shutout.

"I have not been involved in too many international tournaments," said head coach John Tortorella. "But the two games I have been involved in, Latvia has been a tough opponent. And tonight was not exception.

The Americans move on next to face Slovenia on Sunday.

I'm usually very excited for this (It's usually bigger than stanley cup playoffs in sweden - lots of casual fans tune in - it's tradition). But this year about 20 swedish nhl players turned down the offer to play in tre kronor - mostly cause of injury issues. I have zero expectations for Tre Kronor and I can honestly say this is the worst team we've had for as long as I can remember. We have nicklas backstrom (wsh) and anton stralman (tor) but that's about it. We don't even have the best players from SEL. Only one player from the champion team from SEL this year and it is goalie Stefan Liv.

At the same time I see

Canada with Spezza Getzlaf Heatly Doan ETC.

Russia with Ovechkin Kovalchuk Fedorov Markov ETC.

Usa with Kane Mueller Parise ETC.

Fin with Selanne Olli/Jussi.Jokinen T.Ruutu M.Koivu ETC.

Impossible task for sweden this year!

But wow are the teams stacked this year or what? Battle between Russia and Canada imo.

Edited by hak

I'm usually very excited for this (It's usually bigger than stanley cup playoffs in sweden - lots of casual fans tune in - it's tradition). But this year about 20 swedish nhl players turned down the offer to play in tre kronor - mostly cause of injury issues. I have zero expectations for Tre Kronor and I can honestly say this is the worst team we've had for as long as I can remember. We have nicklas backstrom (wsh) and anton stralman (tor) but that's about it. We don't even have the best players from SEL. Only one player from the champion team from SEL this year and it is goalie Stefan Liv.

At the same time I see

Canada with Spezza Getzlaf Heatly Doan ETC.

Russia with Ovechkin Kovalchuk Fedorov Markov ETC.

Usa with Kane Mueller Parise ETC.

Fin with Selanne Olli/Jussi.Jokinen T.Ruutu M.Koivu ETC.

Impossible task for sweden this year!

But wow are the teams stacked this year or what? Battle between Russia and Canada imo.

You know, names do not win tournaments.

Sweden can win gold. They have pretty much the same chance as Canada, USA, Finland, Russia or Czech rep.

Sweden can win gold. They have pretty much the same chance as Canada, USA, Finland, Russia or Czech rep.

Pretty much the same chance? :scared:

You can't turn down the fact that those are some of the best players in the world and are all impact players. I know the format makes it more open for underdogs to win but I just can't see it happen to anyone other than Can / Rus (and maybe usa fin :blush: ). Sweden has lost 11 of their last 18 games (against lousy opponents) and has been terrible the whole year and in the pre-tournament games also - losing big to usa and barely winning against latvia. Maybe I'm dismissing them a bit too fast - we'll see..

Pretty much the same chance? :scared:

Maybe I'm dismissing them a bit too fast - we'll see..

Yes you do, this is tournament, the only game that really matters is quarterfinals. And as you know (2002 - Belarus :lol: sorry)

even a team that looks bad on paper can beat superstars.

But I do agree Canada has by far the best team on paper.

Yes you do, this is tournament, the only game that really matters is quarterfinals. And as you know (2002 - Belarus :lol: sorry)

even a team that looks bad on paper can beat superstars.

But I do agree Canada has by far the best team on paper.

why did you have yo mention 2002 :(

but yeah you're right

I wish that were true....if so, the USA would not lose in the quarterfinals every.....damn....year.

I wish that were true....if so, the USA would not lose in the quarterfinals every.....damn....year.

Haha.

Like World Championship 2004 in Prague.

We had much better team than USA (on paper).

Guess who made it to semifinals.

Riga 2006..Russians had better team than Czechs, on paper. Again, who made it to semifnals (and ended up with silver).

yeah.

Edited by Reds4Life

Haha.

Like World Championship 2004 in Prague.

We had much better team than USA (on paper).

Guess who made it to semifinals.

Riga 2006..Russians had better team than Czechs, on paper. Again, who made it to semifnals (and ended up with silver).

yeah.

Yeah, 2004. The one year in the past, oh, 15 or so we've taken home a medal. You can't seriously be complaining about 2004, the way Czech history has gone in this tourney.

Finland looks most dangerous to pull the upsets

Finland is ranked as 3rd best country by IIHF. So upset? No.

Any team of the top6: Finland, Sweden, Czech, Russia, USA and Canada can win gold..

Yeah, 2004. The one year in the past, oh, 15 or so we've taken home a medal. You can't seriously be complaining about 2004, the way Czech history has gone in this tourney.

But how many "best on paper" teams won in last 15 years?

Not many.

Edited by Reds4Life

Finland is ranked as 3rd best country by IIHF. So upset? No.

Any team of the top6: Finland, Sweden, Czech, Russia, USA and Canada can win gold..

But how many "best on paper" teams won in last 15 years?

Not many.

Best on paper can be a bit subjective.....but consider, how many clearly inferior teams on paper have won? Since 1993, Canada, Sweden, or the CR have won all but three golds, and Canada sure looks like the favorite again. Sure, another team "could" win the gold, but no way there's anything close to an equal chance.

Germany took the expected loss against Finland (5-1), but played good hockey over the first two periods. But nevertheless I'd like Dallas to take out San Jose as early as possible so that Ehrhoff, Goc and Preiss can join the squad...