• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rice

Stuart eying long-term deal

Rate this topic

Ansar Khan:

Having played for five teams in three seasons, Brad Stuart figures it is time to settle down. The Red Wings hope he chooses Detroit. The feeling is mutual.

"Obviously, I'd love to find a place where I can stay for awhile," Stuart said. "This is a pretty good situation. ... I'd like to see how it plays out, but I'd like to explore the possibility of staying here. When the time comes, I'm definitely hoping to be here."

They won't begin contract talks until after the playoffs. But Stuart has many reasons to want to sign with the Red Wings and few, if any, to go elsewhere this summer as a free agent.

There's more in the article, but it appears Stuart wants to stay in Detroit. Obviously this isn't a guarantee, as Bertuzzi said the same type of thing last year. It is, however, a very good sign. It seems that a lot of people forget (at least I forget) that Stuart is only 28 years old. He hasn't even reached his prime yet. I love his game and I think he's a perfect fit here. Stuart's play isn't the only benefit of having him on the roster, because I think he has truly enabled Kronwall to play his own game.

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Staurt

That's the best top-four in the NHL outside of maybe Anaheim's. Rafalski is signed for four more seasons, Nick for two, and Kronwall and Stuart are both under thirty years old -- all with Ericsson, Quincey, Meech, Kindl, and Smith waiting in the Wings. There's a lot of stability on the back-end if Stuart signs here. Hell, there's a lot even if he doesn't -- but it would really lay a great foundation for the future if he does sign here.

I would love this. Having him out there gives us two dominant, shut-down pairs on the blue line, something that is a luxury in the current NHL.

This needs to happen! I was convinced that he was going to go back to the land of palm trees and movie stars, but hell, if he wants to stay with us, I'm all for it!

Stuart's contract for this year was 3.5 mil, so for sure he's going to be seeking a raise and long term. If he's willing to sign a multi year deal for a reasonable price, then hell yeah, sign him in a heartbeat.

However, Holland's going to have to get creative with the salaries, as we have quite a few other potential free agents that need to be secured too...

Lilja, Stuart, Cheli, Drake, Hartigan, Hasek, McCarty and Downey all UFA after the season...

Flip and Ericcson are RFAs this year...

Z, Sammy, Kopecky and the 'Stein go UFA next year, and will be looking for extensions.

Kenny's shown a knack for making the numbers work, and if the Salary Cap gets raised next year, Kenny should be able to make it work. But it might prove to be a bit more difficult depending on what kind of salary that Stuart is looking for.

Edited by Jedi

Stuart's contract for this year was 3.5 mil, so for sure he's going to be seeking a raise and long term. If he's willing to sign a multi year deal for a reasonable price, then hell yeah, sign him in a heartbeat.

However, Holland's going to have to get creative with the salaries, as we have quite a few other potential free agents that need to be secured too...

Lilja, Stuart, Cheli, Drake, Hartigan, Hasek, McCarty and Downey all UFA after the season...

Z, Sammy, Kopecky and the 'Stein go UFA next year, and will be looking for extensions.

Kenny's shown a knack for making the numbers work, and if the Salary Cap gets raised next year, Kenny should be able to make it work. But it might prove to be a bit more difficult depending on what kind of salary that Stuart is looking for.

Hasek won't be back.

I think it will be Downey or Mac, IMO it will be Mac. The Wings love vets with playoff experience.

If Stuart does sign with Detroit, Lilja is a goner, especially with the GR gang waiting for a chance.

Cheli will play as long as it makes sense.

I think all the others are locks to be back except Sammy, because his role could be filled by a more productive Rex and Flip.

Here is something that I think needs to be brought up. There is a reason Stuart hasn't stuck anywhere. 3 teams in 5 years, what is the underlaying issue with Stuart?

Guest drwings1
Ansar Khan:

There's more in the article, but it appears Stuart wants to stay in Detroit. Obviously this isn't a guarantee, as Bertuzzi said the same type of thing last year. It is, however, a very good sign. It seems that a lot of people forget (at least I forget) that Stuart is only 28 years old. He hasn't even reached his prime yet. I love his game and I think he's a perfect fit here. Stuart's play isn't the only benefit of having him on the roster, because I think he has truly enabled Kronwall to play his own game.

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Staurt

That's the best top-four in the NHL outside of maybe Anaheim's. Rafalski is signed for four more seasons, Nick for two, and Kronwall and Stuart are both under thirty years old -- all with Ericsson, Quincey, Meech, Kindl, and Smith waiting in the Wings. There's a lot of stability on the back-end if Stuart signs here. Hell, there's a lot even if he doesn't -- but it would really lay a great foundation for the future if he does sign here.

wow i didnt know he was so young, thats good i guess. he looks alot older!

Guest Crymson
I'm not gonna get my hopes up like last year with Bertuzzi, but it'd be nice to see him re-sign here long term.

Bertuzzi was an injury machine and wanted a big contract. He wasn't going to get it. He ended up taking $4m per year and putting up 40 points this season. The Ducks can have him.

Hasek won't be back.

I think it will be Downey or Mac, IMO it will be Mac. The Wings love vets with playoff experience.

If Stuart does sign with Detroit, Lilja is a goner, especially with the GR gang waiting for a chance.

I think all the others are locks to be back except Sammy, because his role could be filled by a more productive Rex and Flip.

Here is something that I think needs to be brought up. There is a reason Stuart hasn't stuck anywhere. 3 teams in 5 years, what is the underlaying issue with Stuart?

This may sound weird, but it is the fact that he is as good as he is and as cheap as he is. 3.5 for a POTENTIAL #2, and honestly he could be the #2 on a lot of other teams. That makes him easy to trade and a very interesting piece to trade for. Think about it you get a hard hitting responsible D man who can play pp point if need be, for 3.5. Stuart has been traded mostly during the season, which in my mind those trades are need based trades, where as Off season trades are more of a want based trade. But that is just my opinion!

I'd love to see this happen, but I dunno if Kenny will lock him up in a long-term deal after just 2-3 months as a Wing...

So we trade for him to make our team better for 2-3 months? He got him to hopefully have him long term.

Edited by Real1

Guest Crymson
Hasek won't be back.

He's a good defenseman who has had short-term contracts with crappy teams. He has been moved at the deadline in the last two seasons. That accounts for four of his teams.

Hasek won't be back.

He got traded from San Jose as a key part in the Joe Thornton trade. He was a valuable piece then. Boston wanted him in the deal. Then Boston traded him to a playoff bound team as a UFA. Then he didnt re-sign with Calgary cause he didnt play very well and wasnt a good fit for the squad, plus he wanted to head to Cali where his girlfriend was. Then he got traded again from LA as an upcoming UFA to another playoff-bound team.

There isnt really an underlying issue with this guy. Just gets caught on the end of trades he doesnt particularly like it seems. And can you blame the guy? When he was stuck in Boston, LA...those teams were/are going nowhere. I think Stuarts liking his time with Detroit. "Oh, so this is what it feels like to win..."

Hey Kenny, fly his wife and baby out here and give them the star treatment. Stuart will see the effort and sign long term...plus if he has that family support in Motown during the WCF, he will play even better!

Please don't ever mistake what Stuart says for what Bertuzzi said last season. Bertuzzi was soooo unconvincing as soon as the words left his mouth. He had zero intention of staying here. It was pretty obvious he wanted to settle somewhere warmer, partially because of his health issues. Also, he had no ties to Detroit, a bad history between our team and his former Canucks team and so on. He is nowhere near as classy and team oriented as Stuart is. This guy is a mainstay on team Canada's roster to boot. If he says he wants to stay, or moreso would like to get something done, I believe him. If the contract makes sense, I think he'll be here. The day he came over here, I was so damn excited, having followed his career a little, and knowing the skills he possessed.

As for the comments about him being traded a few times, that has alot to do with where he was playing. Now that he's in his prime, and finally getting his chance to be on a team doing some things, and being part of a great organization that Mike & Marion have built, all he has to do is do his job out on the ice and all else will be taken care of. Stuart knows this.

Here's hoping ...

Well, we can reduce that list:

Chelios signs for the league minimum. He just wants to play.

Lilja is gon, Hartigan, gone. Drake, retired. Hasek, retired. Downey, gone. Kopecky, kind of useless, I think he'll be gone.

Ericcson won't take much to sign.

Flip could be traded.

And with the cap going up I just don't see a problem with re-signing Stuart and still going out to get another forward or someone to replace Drake or Kopecky.