No registered users viewing this page.

Mclovin

Ribiero's swing at Ozzie

Rate this topic

Ribiero "...disrespect of a japanese are you, put the angry beehive to your

cock-hole. suck on the s*** paddle, nasty man. become slapping by the

hundred stumps of legs. you and the unholy mouse fart, reeking of

cheese. endure ******* the gopher hole."

He better not get suspended.... I want Downey to suspend him tomorrow night! I would say D-mac... but we all know Downey would f*** him up more!

I took the trouble to put together an animated gif of the sequence where Ozzie clips Ribeiro as he's going by and there's no question it was high with the butt of the stick and it was intentional. He clearly moves up and into Ribeiro while angling the stick toward his face. He may not have entirely went for the face, but he definitely was trying to hit him with his stck.

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/pix/oz_reb.gif

That said, everybody agrees that Ribeiro's response was uncalled for and illegal. The undeniable provocation will undoubtedly influence Campbell's thought process when making his decision though. What scares me is that they COULD view Ozzie's action as an intent to injure as well though I doubt it. We'll see what happens. I just want to be as objective as possible and anybody who says they wouldn't want Turco examined if it were the other way around is lying.

You know, I don't know what to think about this!! I will say this much. The officating in this series and playoffs as a whole has been TERRIBLE!!!! The officals have been very inconsistant with calles. For example the Holmstrom dive! why didn't Turco get called for a dive when he all of a sudden fell behind his net when I think it was Darren Helm skated by him? I think the refs have no idea what to call, and sometimes it is hard to watch!!

I personally think Ribiero should be suspended for one game, Ozzie should be fined. The league should also suspend Ott for his actions, and I also believe that Turco should be fined and warned over his actions as well. This is the chance the NHL has to prove a point. If they let this go, then ECW it is, anything goes!!

GO WINGS!!!!

I never wore a goalie chest protector but do you think you wouldnt feel it if somebody broke his stick against your chest? :angry:

the stick wasn't broken against Osgood. If it was Ribeiro's stick it would have happened when he was at the bottom of the pile that mounted on top of him.

osgooduboatcommanderdivpu3.jpg

Ozzie was just overly protective of his arm... he needs it to lift the cup in 6 more games!

I dont know if the vid was posted and i am not going to sift through 13 pages to see....

the stick wasn't broken against Osgood. If it was Ribeiro's stick it would have happened when he was at the bottom of the pile that mounted on top of him.

osgooduboatcommanderdivpu3.jpg

The biggest mistake Ozzie made was trying to slow Ribeiro down by sticking his stick out in the way. I'm sure he expected Ribeiro would have to skate around it and therefor slow down his cheap after game shot on our defenseman. What he should have done is put his shoulder into the little punk and knocked him flat on his ass. I don't see Ribeiro getting up and doing anything other than the cheap crap he did because he's probably seen Ozzies fight tapes and the face of the other guy afterwards.

Inconclusive. The stick shown on the ice wasn't snapped in two, but still broken. I will give it the benefit of the doubt. He assaulted Osgood with his stick, his stick ended up broken.

Edited by Nero

The score sheet says "match penalty" so at least will be one game.

No. That means he's done for the game and the league will review it. I'm betting that the league will give him 1 game. Even if he's a star, their has to be some punishment for swing a stick like that after the horn had sounded, even if Ozzie clipped him with the butt end of his stick which he did.

1 game.

No. That means he's done for the game and the league will review it. I'm betting that the league will give him 1 game. Even if he's a star, their has to be some punishment for swing a stick like that after the horn had sounded, even if Ozzie clipped him with the butt end of his stick which he did.

1 game.

Match penalty is an automatic 10 minutes, ejection from the game and NHL review. Only when there is an actual injury will there be an automatic suspension

Rule 29 Match Penalties

A "MATCH" penalty involves the suspension of a player for the balance of the game and the offender shall be ordered to the dressing room immediately. A substitute player is permitted to replace the penalized player after five (5) minutes playing time has elapsed when the penalty is imposed under Rule 43 -- Attempt to or Deliberate Injury of Opponents.

(NOTE 1) The Match penalty shall be served by a player to be designated by the Manager or Coach of the offending Team through the playing Captain, such player to take his place in the penalty box immediately.

For all match penalties, regardless of when imposed, or prescribed additional penalties, a total of ten minutes shall be charged in the records against the offending player.

(NOTE 2) When coincident match penalties have been imposed to a player on both Teams, Rule 27© covering coincident major penalties will be applicable with respect to player substitution.

(NOTE 3) The Referee is required to report all match penalties and the surrounding circumstances to the Commissioner of the League immediately following the game in which they occur.

I hated Melrose before, but now I realize why it is I can't stand him. His thoughts on the Osgood/Ribeiro incident:

"Detroit's going to the front of the net, one of the goals should have been disallowed in game 1. He took matters into his own hands to protect his crease, I have no problem with him doing that if the referees won't protect him."

Yet he cries that Ozzie should be suspended for his "butt-end" on Ribeiro? Give me a freaking break. What Turco was doing all night and even in game 1 was alot worse.

I took the trouble to put together an animated gif of the sequence where Ozzie clips Ribeiro as he's going by and there's no question it was high with the butt of the stick and it was intentional. He clearly moves up and into Ribeiro while angling the stick toward his face. He may not have entirely went for the face, but he definitely was trying to hit him with his stck.

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/pix/oz_reb.gif

That said, everybody agrees that Ribeiro's response was uncalled for and illegal. The undeniable provocation will undoubtedly influence Campbell's thought process when making his decision though. What scares me is that they COULD view Ozzie's action as an intent to injure as well though I doubt it. We'll see what happens. I just want to be as objective as possible and anybody who says they wouldn't want Turco examined if it were the other way around is lying.

There's no question that the butt end of Ozzies stick took out Ribero as he was skating past. Now did he do it intentinally - probably but that's a jusdgement call. It certainly isn't obvious one way or another. Ribero's slash was obviously intentional - there is no question about it. Based on the obvious intentional slash in retaliation for a hit from Ozzie that may or may not have been intentional, the league really has to give Ribero a 1 game suspension. Even if the hit from Ozzie was intentional, its a common play in hockey - put your stick out and let the guy run into it. Normally there isn't even a penalty for that.

By the way, good job on the animated gif.

1 game.

The rule for match penalties is that the player is suspended indefinitely until the play can be reviewed. Given the league's track record, I would expect one game. I personally feel that Ribeiro should be suspended for the remainder of the playoffs...which would be two games.

Those calling for a suspension on Ozzie is really laughable. I am not even saying this because I am such a huge fan of Ozzie because ALL goalies do what he did and worse. He freaking put his stick out to SLOW Ribiero down from doing anything. Unfortunately his stick smacked him in the face. It was an accident. Ozzie isn't the type to intentionally try and hurt anyone and everyone knows that. Therefore he gets the benefit of the doubt, IMO. Secondly, if Iginla didn't get a suspension for butt ending Schneids last year in Round 1 which was CLEAR as day, then there is no way in hell Ozzie would be even considered to sit out a game. No way.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Guest Truth in Hockey
Inconclusive. The stick shown on the ice wasn't snapped in two, but still broken. I will give it the benefit of the doubt. He assaulted Osgood with his stick, his stick ended up broken.

Sorry, but it was OSGOOD who took the first shot, with a cheap punk stick butt as the game ended. Do you think Ribiero just said to himself, hey, I think I'll nail the goalie and get myself suspended, for no reason? Seriously, I can't believe how Osgood is being looked at as the victim when he STARTED it. Whatever suspension Ribiero gets, Osgood's should be DOUBLE.

Sorry, but it was OSGOOD who took the first shot, with a cheap punk stick butt as the game ended. Do you think Ribiero just said to himself, hey, I think I'll nail the goalie and get myself suspended, for no reason? Seriously, I can't believe how Osgood is being looked at as the victim when he STARTED it. Whatever suspension Ribiero gets, Osgood's should be DOUBLE.

Ok I can live with that as long as next time Turdco slashes/punches/trips one of the wings and they turn around and two hand Turdco across the chest you think the same thing. In that case Turdco deserved about 4-5 two handers in Game 2 alone.

Truth in Hockey must be some kind of mental midget to actually believe what he/she is saying

Edited by Wings_fan_in STL

High sticks, running into sticks, blades, butt-ends whatever--it happens all the time in the game. Its not like he went out to spear Ribeiro with the butt-end of the stick. Being that it was inconclusive whether or not it was deliberate, the league takes into account the players response to the play. Osgood came right out and said he didn't mean it. Osgood does not have a history of hurting players. If anything it was reckless use of the stick on Osgood's part.

Reguardless, if Osgoods act was deliberate or not--Ribeiros act was.

PLAYERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE A 2 HANDER to the chest. That should go without saying. Deliberate acts are suspendable.

Some of you people are seriously the most irrational and most biased people I have ever dealt with.

Funny thing is you all say s*** about Melrose (I hate the guy just as much here) for being so biased when most of you are the exact same way!

Now, from a true hockey fans stand-point... And yes, I am a die-hard Wings fan (but have the ability not to be a fan-boy and see both sides of the story).. What Osgood did was stupid, and if you truly think he didn't do it on purpose, you're blinded by your man love for our goalie. Now, was it stupid? Yes. But doesn't every goalie do this type of s***? Ummmm, absolutely. If anything, he's much smarter than Turco cause he covered it up, made it look like he was just moving his arm. As opposed to Turco blatently hacking and whacking at our guys. Which is EXACTLY why all you're little stupid "ozzie should be suspended" comments are absurd. He make it look so unintentional that there is no way the league is gonna make a judgement call and say they "THINK he tried to get his stick in Ribiero's face". Just not gonna happen, now get over it!

Now, I am sitting here telling you all (Wings and Stars fans) that what Ozzie did was stupid and wrong. HOWEVER, does that justify what Ribiero did? HELL NO! Do you think that Bertuzzi just felt like jumping some guy from behind one day? NOPE! That whole Bertuzzi thing went back games before where the guy hit some guy and Bertuzzi thought it was a cheap shot.

Now if you have played hockey you will certainly know that often its not the initial action that gets called, its the RETALIATION that gets caught. What Ribiero did was selfish to his team and certainly worthy of a single game suspension.

Guess what people, there's little shots that go back and forth ALL GAME LONG! What do the smart players do about it? Nothing. They just play the game. What do little ******* who can't fight or are getting dominated do? They swing their freaking stick at the persons chest.

So, to sum this up... Wings fans, PLEASE get off Ozzies ball-sack. What he did was stupid and very intentional. To the Stars fans, you have to be the biggest morons if you truely think that what Ozzie did jusified someone swinging a hockey stick at his throat area. Then again, I'm sure most of you people who are totally biased one way or the other have never really played competitive hockey!

Sorry, but you're an idiot. Banned for a very, very lame attempt at trolling.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Jesus, people try to throw you an olive branch and all you can think to do with it is shove it up your ass and your foot in your mouth.

When you get older, you know, like 15 or 16 or whatever, you are going to come to the realization that you are responsible for your own actions. Ribiero is responsible for his own actions and he basically lost control of his temper and now he has to deal with the potential consequences.

As for Osgood, it's possible that he had every intention of smacking Ribby right in the face. It is possible. However, its also possible that all he wanted to do was slow Ribby down and a complete accident that the butt end of his stick actually made contact with Ribby's face.

Both scenarios are plausible. A reasonable, rational person can admit such. On the flip side, there's not doubt about what Ribby wanted to do, he wanted to 2 hand Ozzie up high and he did so. High slashes like that are always going to catch the league's attention.

You need to get over the fact that Osgood's butt end hit Ribby in the face. You need to man up yourself and realize that it is not conclusive whether he meant to hit him in the face or not.

I think when the league looks at this they are going to see it exactly the way I do, that it could have been an accident by Ozzie, and therefore nothing more than careless use of the stick, hence no further punishment. And a 1 game suspension for Ribby for swinging his stick like that.

Both scenarios are plausible. A reasonable, rational person can admit such. On the flip side, there's not doubt about what Ribby wanted to do, he wanted to 2 hand Ozzie up high and he did so. High slashes like that are always going to catch the league's attention.

You need to get over the fact that Osgood's butt end hit Ribby in the face. You need to man up yourself and realize that it is not conclusive whether he meant to hit him in the face or not.

I think when the league looks at this they are going to see it exactly the way I do, that it could have been an accident by Ozzie, and therefore nothing more than careless use of the stick, hence no further punishment. And a 1 game suspension for Ribby for swinging his stick like that.

I think you're right on the outcome. As for trying to talk to that ******, I doubt it will do any good since Matt banned him.

Also, people need to realize that there is a difference between butt ending and hitting someone with the butt end of your stick. Ozzie did the latter. If it really had been the former, I could see people being more upset about Ozzie's actions.