• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mclovin

Ribiero's swing at Ozzie

Rate this topic

According to some Dallas fans, if Ribeiro gets suspended - so should Osgood :rolleyes:

Ribeiro Suspension Thread from dallasstars.com

Hahah I also found this on their boards - for what its worth - from someone who says they were close to the play at the Joe

There's this one, yes:

Maybe Downey and McCarty will leave him like that, and he wont be faking this time :ranting:

Turco heard second-hand that some of his teammates were accusing Osgood of butt-ending Robidas.

"If that's the case, a butt-end to somebody's face at any time is pretty gutless," said Turco.

:nopity:

Let me start out saying that Mike Ribeiro was wrong for what he did. It was uncalled for and something that you should just not do. However I do not think that Ribeiro will be suspended for the whack. It was started by Osgood (intentional or not) by hitting Ribeiro in the face. I also believe that Osgood's dive was unsportsmanlike. I believe that if Ribeiro is suspeneded then one should be match for Osgood. Those are just my feeling, I am not here to flame. Thank you for reading my take of it.

Then the League would have to suspend Turco for swinging his stick and hitting Holmstrom in the back of the legs.

Let me start out saying that Mike Ribeiro was wrong for what he did. It was uncalled for and something that you should just not do. However I do not think that Ribeiro will be suspended for the whack. It was started by Osgood (intentional or not) by hitting Ribeiro in the face. I also believe that Osgood's dive was unsportsmanlike. I believe that if Ribeiro is suspeneded then one should be match for Osgood. Those are just my feeling, I am not here to flame. Thank you for reading my take of it.

Even if you feel that Osgood dove. The penalty for a dive is a 2:00. He should serve it together with Turco for the trip that wasn't called. Or maybe the slash he gave Zetterberg in the chest. Games over though, so the only thing that can even be looked at is the 2 handed slash after the whistle.

Because a two minute penalty is really equal to a two-handed assault with intent to injure.

I'd call Osgood's actions slightly embellished, but suspect a good chunk of his reaction came from being caught by surprise. If you're expecting to get whacked by a stick or hit by the 90mph puck you're braced for it and can handle the contact reasonably well, if not comfortably.

But the game was over, and he was probably already mentally sliding into the "pat Zata on the head, talk to media, remember to pick up cough syrup for the kid with a cold" checklist for the rest of the night, and was not braced/steadied/balanced correctly for getting whacked from behind.

Except that he didn't get hit in the ribs.

Oh, I read further, well if even you would react the same way, that changes everything.

The slight personal joust there is uncalled for.

I'm just saying, according to Osgood in the post game interview it was the ribs. I will take him at his word for this since it was him.

There is no protection on the side of the chest.

It would hurt to be hit in the side with a hockey stick where there is no protection, anybody should feel pain if that happened to them.

agreed, hes saying what he would do in that position as a goal himself. dont like it, dont read it

Because a two minute penalty is really equal to a two-handed assault with intent to injure.

I don't believe the dive was the major part of it. I think the butt to the face of Ribeiro was the problem. That was the thing in my opinion that started the whole thing. The dive was just a part. So I don't say anything stupid or get anybody too mad I will be leaving for the night. thank you and see you guys on monday

I don't believe the dive was the major part of it. I think the butt to the face of Ribeiro was the problem. That was the thing in my opinion that started the whole thing. The dive was just a part. So I don't say anything stupid or get anybody too mad I will be leaving for the night. thank you and see you guys on monday

:lol:

Don't be afraid to piss people off with your opinion; you're allowed to have one.

That said, I disagree with yours. Osgood's actions notwithstanding, what Ribeiro did was very much suspendable. I don't think provocation, perceived or real, should be taken into account when viewing the slash.

As already mentioned though, Oz said that he got it in the side/ribs. There is little protection there, so it stung. He's not known for diving to get attention, so I see no reason for him to lie about where the stick hit him. As for the buttend of the stick to the face? Hard to tell exactly how much contact was made with that, and if Ribeiro didn't throw his head back to make it look worse than it was? If Oz got him that much with the stick, then he would have been on the ice or covering his face. Stupid move by Ribeiro.

:lol:

Don't be afraid to piss people off with your opinion; you're allowed to have one.

That said, I disagree with yours. Osgood's actions notwithstanding, what Ribeiro did was very much suspendable. I don't think provocation, perceived or real, should be taken into account when viewing the slash.

QFT ... I have no idea as far as a suspension goes, but I do know that a two handed whack to the goaltender after the game has ended is something that the Wings will take care of in game 3, if the league chooses not to. I kind of like the team treatment, personally.

Ribeiro's a good guy, he didn't intend to hurt Ozzie or injure him for the rest of the series or anything. He just lost his cool - it's probably been a pretty frustrating couple of games for him.

We still can't have guys swinging sticks at players - it is very dangerous. The main thing is, Ozzie is fine. Ribeiro probably doesn't need to be suspended a fine will probably do. As long as the NHL does something to stem this sort of stuff.

QFT ... I have no idea as far as a suspension goes, but I do know that a two handed whack to the goaltender after the game has ended is something that the Wings will take care of in game 3, if the league chooses not to. I kind of like the team treatment, personally.

I'd rather see DMac take care of that something in game 3 than the alternative. That way everyone is happy .... no suspension and a new turtle arises.

I'd rather see DMac take care of that something in game 3 than the alternative. That way everyone is happy .... no suspension and a new turtle arises.

It appeared that DMac was ready to deal with it tonight. I think the "team" approach will make everyone happy. I like seeing cheap shots dealt with "man on man ", if you get my drift.

Still, you have to let the players know that you are serious when it comes to retaliatory BS. I know a fine would have no effect....sitting out, even one game, might garner a bit more attention.

When will we find out what the league decides to do about the suspension?

tomorrow we'll find out.

the ribeiro swing wasnt even that bad, it also obviously wasnt good. something has to be done but i dont think a suspension is the right answer

I don't want this to affect the Red Wings. They shouldn't let Dallas goon it up, but they should not come out head hunting on Monday. Play the game and win.

When will we find out what the league decides to do about the suspension?

Probably sometime before Monday's game, because if he is suspended, it would be in effect for Game 3.

I think a one-game suspension is warranted - whether Ozzie hit him with his stick is immaterial. You just can't take a swing at another player like that. If Ozzie hit him then that probably would have been a high-sticking penalty if it happened during the game but what Ribiero did looked pretty close to an intent to injure. So we will see.

Edited by Yzermania19

Holmstrom gets slashed and hacked by Turco all game and never once swings his stick at him. Ribiero gets butted once by Ozzie's stick and goes all crazy over him. Is it just me or does he need an anger management class? He overreacted and should be suspended for it.

Haha, if you read some of the quotes after the game, Tippett believes the league will look at Ozzie. Turco called Ozzies "butt end" classless. A couple others.

I hate whiners, we only play against whiney teams, when was the last time the Wings whined about anything?

It appeared that DMac was ready to deal with it tonight. I think the "team" approach will make everyone happy. I like seeing cheap shots dealt with "man on man ", if you get my drift.

I'm not the world's greatest lip reader, so when I can figure something out it's usually pretty obvious. Vs. cut into DMac mid-sentence as he was hollering at the Stars' bench, but I'm almost positive he finished it with "....you for that."

I mean, sure, it could have been, "Thanks for lending me the five bucks the other day, I owe you for that." But probably not.

Haha, if you read some of the quotes after the game, Tippett believes the league will look at Ozzie. Turco called Ozzies "butt end" classless. A couple others.

There must be something wrong with my TV. Whenever Turco says anything, the only thing that I hear is "0-9-2."

I hate whiners, we only play against whiney teams, when was the last time the Wings whined about anything?

I think probert whined about getting cutoff at last call at Lucy Goosey's bar for that playoff game awhile back...

Edited by zombiewing