• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mclovin

Ribiero's swing at Ozzie

Rate this topic

"Even if I did butt-end him, it was an accident," Osgood said. "I was trying to protect our best player, Nick Lidstrom, so he didn't get run."

This kind of proves Ozzies move wasn't a complete ACCIDENT. I think Ozzie did juke right a bit, just wasn't thinking about the end of his stick.

After watching a replay, Dallas coach Dave Tippett blamed Osgood for the fracas.

"Ribeiro is actually letting up on the guy and Osgood just sticks his stick out and butt-ends him," Tippett said. "Ribeiro is not going to turn around and chop the goalie like that without having something happening.

"I looked at it and said, 'What's he doing?' until I went in and looked at the tape."

Tippett was asked if he expected the NHL to suspend Osgood.

"That's for the higher powers to figure out," Tippett said.

Dallas goaltender Marty Turco acknowledged he didn't see the play as it happened, but was disgusted by what his teammates told him.

"A butt-end to somebody's face at any time is pretty gutless," Turco said. "Just sticking your knob out there is a dangerous play.

"It's something our game doesn't need if that did happen."

Turco is a complete azz. After slashing at people and hitting homer in the back of the head the whole game he comes off like this?!?! Pretty much damage control by the Stars, plain and simple. I don't think Ribeiro should be suspended, let him get his azz kicked in game 3. Ozzie did sell the hell out of it, Drapes put his melon in the ice right away. Hell this series finally got interesting... "IT'S ON!!"

I'm not reading 13 pages of analysis on this, so I apologize for re-stating opinions of others. Here's my take...

No suspension.

Osgood did initiate some of the situation to a certain degree. The amount of degree to what he started or whether he "intentionally" did it, we can debate that until we've lost all our hair and died, but he did start something. Honestly, it was just a "love tap" so the degree wasn't much.

Ribero swung back at him as a result of what Osgood did and got penalized for it, a match penalty. Honestly, I think that's enough.

I'm going to indirectly quote something from a player from the New Orleans Hornets which I have been following in the NBA playoffs pretty good. This guy got fouled really hard by a Dallas Mavericks player in the 1st round of game 4 (which the Hornets won), Jason Kidd, and some type of suspension could have been realistically handed down. He basically said that he didn't want Kidd fined or suspended, he wanted a full Mavericks lineup so there were no excuses or reasons why the Hornets could eliminate them (which they did in 5 games). He wanted their full lineup.

I'm not reading 13 pages of analysis on this, so I apologize for re-stating opinions of others. Here's my take...

No suspension.

Osgood did initiate some of the situation to a certain degree. The amount of degree to what he started or whether he "intentionally" did it, we can debate that until we've lost all our hair and died, but he did start something. Honestly, it was just a "love tap" so the degree wasn't much.

Ribero swung back at him as a result of what Osgood did and got penalized for it, a match penalty. Honestly, I think that's enough.

I'm going to indirectly quote something from a player from the New Orleans Hornets which I have been following in the NBA playoffs pretty good. This guy got fouled really hard by a Dallas Mavericks player in the 1st round of game 4 (which the Hornets won), Jason Kidd, and some type of suspension could have been realistically handed down. He basically said that he didn't want Kidd fined or suspended, he wanted a full Mavericks lineup so there were no excuses or reasons why the Hornets could eliminate them (which they did in 5 games). He wanted their full lineup.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hink the Wings will lose if Robiero does or doesn't get suspended. I just don't think the NHL is going to let a blatant slash @ the end of the game go unpunished. If only to send a message that this will not be tolerated I say he gets @ a minimum 1 game..................I could care less if he sits or plays..............He is a non-factor anyway.

I think it was worse than the Flames McLennan slash that got five games, but it wasn't nearly as bad as Pronger's head hunting on Holmstrom which got a single game.

So for the NHL to be consistent, no suspension for game 3 and then he should be suspended for the next seven games. :cool:

My own opinion is one game because it was a two handed slash at neck level after the game was over. I don't think it was vicious, but I also believe that it would have been a much harder slash had the red wing player not grabbed his arm.

Or Downey can dress and take a run at Turco...either way works for me.

Campbell was at the game and saw all the BS that Turco and Ott did in the game. I think all of that crap those two did will make him want to send a message. Therefore, I think he'll get a game or two.

For those who are saying that Mccarty will immediately go out and beat him up, that won't happen in the playoffs. Too much at stake. The only way it'll happen is if one team has a big lead. Plus, I think D-Mac would more likely go after Stephanie Ott, who has done nothing but cheapshot smaller guys (kinda like Claudia used to do) in the first two games.

Campbell was at the game and saw all the BS that Turco and Ott did in the game. I think all of that crap those two did will make him want to send a message. Therefore, I think he'll get a game or two.

For those who are saying that Mccarty will immediately go out and beat him up, that won't happen in the playoffs. Too much at stake. The only way it'll happen is if one team has a big lead. Plus, I think D-Mac would more likely go after Stephanie Ott, who has done nothing but cheapshot smaller guys (kinda like Claudia used to do) in the first two games.

I agree, I don't see any retaliation on Robiero. I would like to see Ott get his Jaw jacked though. too much @ stake to take majors. The Wings are too disciplined to play into the Stars hand like that.

Wait..

Turco called Ozzie gutless/classless?

There goes me having any respect/liking Marty anymore. What a joke. Maybe he oughta watch the replay instead of just 'hearing' about it. Ozzie didn't intend to butt end Ribiero. He freaking TAPPED him as he skated by and it accidentally caught him in the face. If Ozzie is gutless what the hell is Ribiero for his uncalled for retaliation. This coming from Marty of all people who constantly loses his cool.

Exactly. Turco calling anyone gutless is ridiculous. He slashes and whacked and tripped guys all night, yet of course he won't mention that to the media. Game 1 he elbowed Helm in the face, and has been known to whack guys in the balls for being too close to his crease. I like the fact the Homer has gotten under his skin so much, seeing how it's taking him off his game. The refs need to call more penalties on him though, not just the one to make it look like they are paying attention to that stuff.

Asked if he was paying too much attention to Holmstrom, Turco damned the Wings' pesky forward with the faintest praise imaginable.

"Not necessarily," Turco said. "He got hit, and he's a squirrelly man. He's the weakest strongest guy out there."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...1128/SPORTS0103

"A butt-end to somebody's face at any time is pretty gutless. Just sticking your knob out there is a dangerous play,'' Turco said. "I've caught guys, my own teammates, around the net and I've seen guys get major injuries to the face. It's something our game doesn't need if that did happen.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...dallas_sta.html

Right. Of course don't admit that you've stuck the knob of your stick out to try to slow guys down coming past your net. Most goalies in the league do that during games, Oz had a reason to seeing how they were going to run Lids. I hate Turco.

I think the Stars have managed to convince themselves that Ozzie deserved to be slashed like that, so I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them tries to start something. They don't have as much to lose.

If nothing happens the Wings need to ignore the whole thing and just play their game. No retalitation. Use the anger to fuel their play. They will need to be more focused with Franzen out.

When the Ducks lost Pronger last year in the hit on Holmstrom it seemed to spark the rest of the Ducks in game 4.

Just to be fair I would suspend Osgood, Ribiero, and Turco...just to make it even. Like it or not Osgood did put the end of his stick out there for Ribiero to hit, but Ribiero is just as much to blame. He should have controled himself much better. Now Turco, he has been pretty shady out there. Hacking, slashing, and Punching Holmstrom. then the blatent trip on Filppula (skating backwards) really had me up in arms. Filppula was REALLY slow to get up after that trip. If that isn't intent for injury I don't know what is. I say take all 3 of them.

Just my opinion

On second look at it, it's possible he got Ozzie right under his left arm pit with the blade of his stick. As a former goalie I know that there's little to no protection there basically to not restrict arm movement. So maybe not a total acting job by osgood.

"A butt-end to somebody's face at any time is pretty gutless. Just sticking your knob out there is a dangerous play,'' Turco said. "I've caught guys, my own teammates, around the net and I've seen guys get major injuries to the face. It's something our game doesn't need if that did happen.''

This coming from the guy that slashed Holmstrom right above the ankle; hit someone in the wrong spot there and they are going to be done playing for a long time. Sticking the butt end of your stick out is hardly comparable. The force to the face is as fast as the player is skating, which isn't much. Sweep the Dallas mother f'ers!

Right. Of course don't admit that you've stuck the knob of your stick out to try to slow guys down coming past your net. Most goalies in the league do that during games, Oz had a reason to seeing how they were going to run Lids. I hate Turco.

I read that same article on Draper and Osgood explaning what happened yesterday. I agree. I hate Turco too, and I bet the Stars get theirs in the next game.

love it. listening to the NHL Network "on the fly: final"

saying osgood intentionally hit ribiero. and ribiero was justified in his actions.

then they go on to commend turco for his antics in goal "whacking and slashing ... hitting players in the back of the head"

every station is opposed to the red wings. everything we do sucks and is wrong.

Don't worry. we'll be talking about Phi/Pit by wednesday morning. ByeBye Dallas

The fact that Ribeiro skated through Ozzy's stick to run one of the Wings' star defensemen after the horn had sounded is not the same as a two-handed slash to the chest of the opposing goaltender after the game is over. Whether Ozzy intended to hit Ribeiro or not, which to me looks like Ozzy oculd have easily just been reaching to slow up Ribeiro with his blocker hand and accidently caught him with the stick, which seems more likely, either way, nothing justifies using the stick as a weapon the way Ribeiro did.

VS. crew argument: Ozzy started it, Ozzy should be suspended if Ribeiro is, Ozzy has pads.

There is no doubt Ozzy sold it, but every goaltender in the league would have. If you counted Ozzy's stick as intentional, which there is no way of knowing, that still doesn't compare to what Turco was doing to "protect his crease" at the other end. But one thing is for sure: Ribeiro did swing lumber, intentionally, at the end of a game.

Final verdict if the NHL higher ups were unbiased: Ribeiro gets McLennan/Simon treatment and is booted for intent to injure using the stick as a weapon after the game was over.

What is more likely to happen: Ribeiro gets the Chris Pronger treatment, maybe gets one game or a decent fine.

Ladies and Gentlemen, do you feel that the slash on Ozzie whether accidental or not will warrant a suspension from the league?

Yes

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Things I'm reasonably certain of:

1. Ozzie did not intend to butt end Ribiero. He intended to impede his progress and he skated right into it. Goalies put their stick out all the time to impede guys, no big deal, nothing malicious about it.

2. Ozzie looked stupid flopping around out there. Again, this is the kind of s*** I can't stand. He wasn't hurt. He sold it just like any other goalie would. Which doesn't make it right. It makes it a dive and a hard sell job for something that amounts to him getting hit with a rolled up newspaper. I'm sorry, if you think Oz was hurt then you're gullible.

3. Ribiero will get 1 or 2 games. IMO, just swinging your stick like that should get you an automatic 5 to 10 no matter what injury, if any you inflict. Just swinging it like that should be enough to get you a big suspension. Oz wasn't hurt, he sold the hell out of the call and I think the NHL guys and Campbell aren't so gullible as to think otherwise. They're going to take all that into account and give Ribiero a small suspension.

If Ribeiro wanted to send a message, there were many other ways he could have done so. Drop his stick and punch/shove/knee/trip Ozzie, and it would have seemed classless, but the situation would have sorted itself out relatively quickly, everyone would have gotten seperated, and we would have headed to Dallas with a nice playoff level of tension and loathing.

All would have been good to great.

But by using his stick like he did, he crossed the line and did something that should not be tolerated in the league.

I sent the following email to VS. Probably won't do any good but I am sick of these idiot announcers. "Dear VS,

I would like to take this time to voice my (and a lot of Detroit fans) utter disgust at your announcers saying the slash to Detroit’s goalie was “justified”. Your announcers are clearly biased against Detroit as they are always making excuses for the teams that Detroit has beaten. NOTHING JUSTIFIES that kind of attack! Other players have been charged criminally for attacks like that! If this is your idea of fair coverage of the Stanley Cup playoffs then do us all a favor and STOP COVERING HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I love it, so true!!

Well in Every game we see the goalies put thier sticks up as a Oppsing player skates behind the net.. its a Play that we see Over and Over..... the Fact that Ribby ( from what i saw) ran into his stick driving to the back of the net is nothing short of unfortunate.

If he wanted to get back at osgood all he had to do was "sell it" and Osgood gets the match penalty, and Osgood probably get s a game.....But to swing a stick like that , It was obviously out of fustration from Osgood Playing like a WALL in 8 straight games...

Osgood put his stick up with 4.0 seconds left......as far as i know the Game is still NOT OVER at that point .. the Horn sounded and Ribby got chippy, that is the problem I have with it It was After the game was over,

It appears that Turco has issues with Detroit too Nevermind the fact he is 0-9-2 in JLA in his career, But the style of play last night was very "ROY-ish" I say let him continue to do so Its gonna take him off his game enough to not see the puck, when hes worried about Homer and guys in front.....Let him get distracted and lose focus I dont care... But he needs to SHUT HIS PIE HOLE when it comes to what Osgood did and what he did all night long

Let's hope that cooler heads prevail....we don't need to be taking penalties. There's always next year!

Blah, this is hockey and since when do you let crap like this go if the officials don't deal with it. Mac beats the living crap out of him, we snuff their weak ass PP just like we have been, we move on to sweep the series while Ribeiro is busy getting reconstructive surgery on his face. Go ask Gordie if we should just let cooler heads prevail.