54 replies to this topic

#21 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ May 25, 2008 - 05:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saying that after just 1 game in a 7 game series? That's a bold guess.

I wouldn't say it based on one game. I'd say it based on one season, where we allowed the fewest goals, had trwo goalies with stellar GAA (to quote Burnside- that goes to team defense), have two Selke finalists along with a past winner, and the probable Norris winner.

Nothing bold about that.
*this space for rent*

#22 BigShooter

BigShooter

Go Wings, Go Blue

• 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

This is complete trash. I don't disagree with the article because of the conclusions themselves, but because of the blatant anti-wings sentiment of Burnside. Regardless of how credible any of the three are, it just kills it for me. I'm a sports broadcaster for a local college football team, and the first thing you have to realize is that you MUST remain impartial, or risk losing your credibility.

That in short is my problem with ESPN's coverage of hockey. It's one of the major 4 sports and they still won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Used to be covered by ABC, but no more, and that's because they don't see the money in it. That's fine, and it's their choice, but to wheel out your pet analysts to pat the Pens on the back with statements that are not only undefendable with fact, but to go so far as to give these morons a national stage with which to do so is just plain retarded.

#23 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

You know why it was both covered on ESPN and ABC, right? When Disney sold off the Ducks, the lockout helped them decide they were done with hockey. Hence, ESPN and ABC stopped carrying it. Done.

ESPN continues to cater to the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, WSOP, Nascar and then NCAA. All other sports are far on the backburner.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#24 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

Lol. ESPN and hockey shouldn't be in the same sentence really.
Rough as guts.

#25 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ May 25, 2008 - 06:40PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's funny, because I could swear that they have about 3 analysts who appear on their channel, who happen to know anything about hockey, out out of the gazillion journalists and analysts that make regular appearances on espn.

The rest are just there to make jokes about how the NHL is a league that no one cares about.

espn is the devil.

Well, when I said that ESPN does cover hockey, you called it basketball.

Basketball and hockey are two different sports. So they do cover hockey.

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (BigShooter @ May 25, 2008 - 07:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is complete trash. I don't disagree with the article because of the conclusions themselves, but because of the blatant anti-wings sentiment of Burnside. Regardless of how credible any of the three are, it just kills it for me. I'm a sports broadcaster for a local college football team, and the first thing you have to realize is that you MUST remain impartial, or risk losing your credibility.

That in short is my problem with ESPN's coverage of hockey. It's one of the major 4 sports and they still won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Used to be covered by ABC, but no more, and that's because they don't see the money in it. That's fine, and it's their choice, but to wheel out your pet analysts to pat the Pens on the back with statements that are not only undefendable with fact, but to go so far as to give these morons a national stage with which to do so is just plain retarded.

Burnside has picked the Wings in the past.

Just because somebody doesn't pick the Wings to win means that they lose all credibility.

#27 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ May 25, 2008 - 07:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just because somebody doesn't pick the Wings to win means that they lose all credibility.

For me, saying the Pens have the edge defensively means he loses credibility.
Rough as guts.

#28 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Doggy @ May 25, 2008 - 07:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me, saying the Pens have the edge defensively means he loses credibility.

That's fine, I too think the Wings defense is better, but it is his opinion, and he is a knowledgable man about the sport. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be a sports journalist. Disagreeing with him over his picks is one thing. Saying he is an absolute moron because he picked against the Wings and is trying to give credit to the Penguins defense which is pretty good, is going a bit overboard in here.

#29 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ May 25, 2008 - 07:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's fine, I too think the Wings defense is better, but it is his opinion, and he is a knowledgable man about the sport. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be a sports journalist. Disagreeing with him over his picks is one thing. Saying he is an absolute moron because he picked against the Wings and is trying to give credit to the Penguins defense which is pretty good, is going a bit overboard in here.

Meh, it happens all the time. Wings fans don't seem to like journalists unless they're blowing us.
Rough as guts.

#30 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (dr_lobster @ May 25, 2008 - 05:40PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm all for analysts trying to break things down more closely, but a better team defense? How many forwards on the Wings can we legitimately list as defensive liabilities? McCarty, Sammy, uh... yeah. Everyone else either hits or plays average or better defense. The same can't be said for Malkin & Co., methinks.

Samuelsson isn't a defensive liability.

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#31 BigShooter

BigShooter

Go Wings, Go Blue

• 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ May 25, 2008 - 07:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not my point, it's irrelevant to me whether he picks the wings or not. If he had said he hoped we would tear them a new one and destroy their mascot it would mean the same thing- He's biased and I have no confidence in him or the network he works for. It's one thing to believe a team is going to win, but when you show yourself as an advocate of one team over the other it speaks of nothing but a lack of impartiality and unprofessionalism.

On the other hand, I have no problem with Melrose saying he just wants to see a 7 game series where the stars of the teams are showcased. That's professional and I can respect it. I can't respect a sports anchor who shows favoritism for any one team over another, whether it's the wings or anyone else. That's what communities like this are for, not mainstream sports news programs.

#32 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

I know that you all can't possibly enjoy watching the games on Verses. They are freakin' horrable.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#33 BigShooter

BigShooter

Go Wings, Go Blue

• 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

They're no worse than they were when ABC was hosting them, and any american sports outlet wouldn't really be any better. Unfortunately, the reality is that we'd rather see flashy opinionated assholes like Jim Rome than hear from people who aren't as photogenic, but actually know what they're talking about.

Case in point, ESPN's football coverage. Tons of opinion, but very little in the way of actually knowing what the hell they're talking about. Most of these guys are talking heads following the company line, which in the case of the NHL would be nothing more than a bunch of Crosby worshipping bandwagon jumpers of the sort that talked the Patriots up all year, and jumped ship when they lost the Super Bowl to talk about how they're cheaters.

I'll just say my little piece again, ESPN is garbage, has always been garbage, and will always be garbage. I want them nowhere near my beloved Hockey, since they've already ruined College Football.

#34 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Oh I'm sure they will be back to cover your beloved hockey some day. Live with it or move closer to Canada.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#35 BigShooter

BigShooter

Go Wings, Go Blue

• 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (KATIEBARTHEDOOR24 @ May 25, 2008 - 09:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh I'm sure they will be back to cover your beloved hockey some day. Live with it or move closer to Canada.

I'm in Milwaukee, so I can get CBC or TSN if I pay for it, unfortunately it's just too expensive. I do, however, highly doubt that they will ever pay a cantract to the league to cover games again. ESPN is much like MTV, they used to do only sports coverage, now it's just talking heads spouting opinions on every useless half hour show they can come up with, that or the same sportscenter episode 15 times per day.

#36 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ May 25, 2008 - 07:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Disagreeing with him over his picks is one thing. Saying he is an absolute moron because he picked against the Wings and is trying to give credit to the Penguins defense which is pretty good, is going a bit overboard in here.

Am I allowed to think he's a moron after publishing his wet dream of the Pens smashing our octupus with their sticks? Lack of objectivity = moron. Sorry.
*this space for rent*

#37 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (thedisappearer @ May 25, 2008 - 10:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I allowed to think he's a moron after publishing his wet dream of the Pens smashing our octupus with their sticks? Lack of objectivity = moron. Sorry.

No opinions allowed!

Facts, & facts ONLY ph34r.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#38 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ May 25, 2008 - 10:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No opinions allowed!

Facts, & facts ONLY ph34r.gif

Ok then, how about this: Burnside should not have published his fantasy about the Pens trashing our octo-mascot. ESPN shouldn't have allowed him to. They are, at best, temporary douches.

And it has nothing to do with him picking the Pens to win. That just makes him dumb. wink.gif

*edit- OMG, I spell like a dyslexic retard...

Edited by thedisappearer, 25 May 2008 - 11:03 PM.

*this space for rent*

#39 This Is Bida

This Is Bida

Welcome to God's team, Marian!

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:05 AM

Sooo... he said we have the better defenseman, right?
But said we don't have the better overall TEAM defense.
I'm sorry, how many Penguins are up for the Selke award?
Yea, that makes COMPLETE sense! Considering Crosby and Malkin won't even touch the ICE during a PK, that can't say too much for your TEAM DEFENSE.

Other than that, I didn't think the article was HORRID! I mean, obviously this Burnside guy hates Detroit. So what. Hell, even Melrose had some good points and seemed to favor Detroit. Really, if you take away Burnsides horribly stupid comments, its not bad.
QUOTE (This Is Bida @ November 15, 2008 - 03:49AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mark my words... Hossa will retire a Red Wing.

http://pittsburghliv...s/s_610741.html
GREAT READ! Just shows that not all Pens fans are complete f'n idiots.
Oh, and it proves that Hossa never said he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh!

#40 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (BigShooter @ May 25, 2008 - 09:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not my point, it's irrelevant to me whether he picks the wings or not. If he had said he hoped we would tear them a new one and destroy their mascot it would mean the same thing- He's biased and I have no confidence in him or the network he works for. It's one thing to believe a team is going to win, but when you show yourself as an advocate of one team over the other it speaks of nothing but a lack of impartiality and unprofessionalism.

On the other hand, I have no problem with Melrose saying he just wants to see a 7 game series where the stars of the teams are showcased. That's professional and I can respect it. I can't respect a sports anchor who shows favoritism for any one team over another, whether it's the wings or anyone else. That's what communities like this are for, not mainstream sports news programs.

When broadcasting a game for 3 hours or giving post-game analysis for 30 minutes to an hour, you can only talk about so much. It is almost impossible not to say anything where your fan base claims "BIAS FOR THE OTHER TEAM" or "YOU HATE MY TEAM YOU FOOOOOOL!". And fans of the other team can make a similar claim for an analyst saying something in a different part of the game or analyzing to where he or she is actually favoring our team.