• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsRock1371

Ken Holland Was SMART!

Rate this topic

I was just thinking about all of the whining and moaning about Kenny not making a big deadline deal this year. I always thought that we had a great team, we just needed to get healthy, but I know there were a lot of people ready to hand the cup to Pittsburgh when they announced the trade!

I just wanted to say thanks Kenny for not peddeling our promising young stars away for a rent-a-player!

There are more than a few people here that owe him an apology.

I was just thinking about all of the whining and moaning about Kenny not making a big deadline deal this year. I always thought that we had a great team, we just needed to get healthy, but I know there were a lot of people ready to hand the cup to Pittsburgh when they announced the trade!

I just wanted to say thanks Kenny for not peddeling our promising young stars away for a rent-a-player!

The series isn't over. Lets save the "apology threads" until the Wings win the cup.

Edited by Nightfall

Very true. Just imagine what the series would be like if the Wings got Hossa though...LOL.

But you're right, everyone is quick to jump on Holland for not trading the Wings young stars or draft picks away for rent-a-players, like they used to be able to do. But so far...so far...it looks like everything is working out. I just hope I didn't jinx the team.

The series isn't over. Lets save the "apology threads" until the Wings win the cup.

Of the 31 teams to win the first two games of the finals at home, 30 have captured the Cup. Game 3 is Wednesday in Pittsburgh, and the Penguins will have to win one of the next two to force a trip back to Motown.

A lot of people on this board should atone for what they posted about Holland making it to the SCF is a pretty god damn good accomplishment. But they won't, neither will they atone for the things they said about Sammy, Lilja, Lebda, Ralf, Dats, Kronwall, Z, Stuart, etc...... everyone except Lids at some point in time this season got ragged on, yet for the most of the year this team has been one of the best offensive and defensive teams in the league.

A lot of people on this board should atone for what they posted about Holland making it to the SCF is a pretty god damn good accomplishment. But they won't, neither will they atone for the things they said about Sammy, Lilja, Lebda, Ralf, Dats, Kronwall, Z, Stuart, etc...... everyone except Lids at some point in time this season got ragged on, yet for the most of the year this team has been one of the best offensive and defensive teams in the league.

I agree with what you quoted. I can see Osgood carrying the cup around with him on the ice already. However, as a hockey player, I just can't count my chickens before they hatch. I have been on the flip side of a comeback and it hurts bad. :)

In short, lets hope the Wings make it 31. :)

As for atoning, I hope that everyone on this board comes out and admits their wrongdoings. You can call it a confession of sorts. :)

everyone except Lids at some point in time this season got ragged on, yet for the most of the year this team has been one of the best offensive and defensive teams in the league.

No, I think we got on Lids for not being a vocal captain. :rolleyes:

I will fully admit that I ragged on Holland for not making the huge blockbuster move we all wanted at the deadline (Hossa).

I will also fully admit that I was dead wrong for doing so. This is why he's the Wings GM and I'm just some guy clacking away behind a keyboard.

I will fully admit that I ragged on Holland for not making the huge blockbuster move we all wanted at the deadline (Hossa).

I will also fully admit that I was dead wrong for doing so. This is why he's the Wings GM and I'm just some guy clacking away behind a keyboard.

I wouldn't say we ALL wanted Hossa, but yes 95% of us did, and the rest of us just hoped for him!!!

:beerbuddy:

The series isn't over, but the notion that the wings needed to make a big trade to compete in the playoffs IS OVER!

How can you see it any other way?

Way to man up!

Very true. Just imagine what the series would be like if the Wings got Hossa though...LOL.

But you're right, everyone is quick to jump on Holland for not trading the Wings young stars or draft picks away for rent-a-players, like they used to be able to do. But so far...so far...it looks like everything is working out. I just hope I didn't jinx the team.

Yea just imagine, no Filpulla, no Howard, no Helm. All for a rental. How's Hossa doing against Detroit...

Mathematically your are right it isn't over. But in every other aspect it is. The Pens now have to beat us 4 out of the next 5 times and they haven't even been able to score a goal in 120 minutes.

It's over. The only question is how many more games we will play and how long will it take them to score a goal.

I still don't agree. Being 4-5 million under the cap when you're trying for a cup is stupid. Are you telling me that a rental player wouldn't have filled in nicely for the two weeks that Franzen was injured? Instead, McCarty was in and we all know what he's done. You don't get extra points for being under the cap.

For example, Marty Lapointe was traded for a fourth round draft pick (I think). He sure would have been handy the past two weeks.

Edited by therock48880

Just imagine what the series would be like if the Wings got Hossa though...LOL.

We would not be playing the Pens if we got Hossa.....

I still don't agree. Being 4-5 million under the cap when you're trying for a cup is stupid. Are you telling me that a rental player wouldn't have filled in nicely for the two weeks that Franzen was injured? Instead, McCarty was in and we all know what he's done. You don't get extra points for being under the cap.

For example, Marty Lapointe was traded for a fourth round draft pick (I think). He sure would have been handy the past two weeks.

Holland isn't building a fantasy team, he's building a team. You don't have to spend just for the sake of spending. For one, I bet Mr. I appreciates the five million bucks saved.

Marty Lapoint?!?!?!?!

You lose credibility this guy hasn't done s*** since he left Detroit. Why would the wings need another Maltby?

Man up, suck it up, whatever you want.

We can what if and Hypothesize about what Holland could have, should have, would have done, however what is not hypothetical and what is actually provable is that the moves Holland did make or didn't make has this team in the Stanley cup final with a 2-0 series lead and they haven't given up a goal and scored 7.

How on earth does Marty Lapointe change that for the good? I don't want you hypothetical situations either, give me some stats or facts from Lapointe's last 3 or 4 years in the playoffs.

Plus were you with Holland and Co all day on the trade deadline? Do you know for a fact what Holland offered for what players, or do you know what the other teams told Holland they wanted in return for their players? Do you also think that maybe just maybe teams don't want to trade within the division? OR that no one wants to help the best team in the league who also happens to be the most successful team in the NHL the past 12 years?

Do you get extra points for winning 2 cups as a GM? Or does he have to wait for the third one.

Listen we all want to defend our own opinions, we always want to be right, but some times you have to admit your opinion was wrong. I don't know what you were saying during the trade deadline, but if you were doubting him or slandering him, like most posters on here (that were dogging Holland) you will probably not eat crow, because you have your little 4-5 mil cap space argument.

BIG FRIGGIN' DEAL!! It should be more impressive that he did it with cap space left over!

The first knock on Holland was that Det buys their teams, now the team is under the cap well on its way to another cup (his 3rd as GM 4th total) and if Holland had spent more money...

I don't even know how to end that statement, he is on the verge of winning the cup, and it turns out the one move he did make as sure up this D, and made what was one of the best D is the league to the best in the league.

All of you that were waiting for the wings to bomb out in the first round because of what Holland did need to admit you were wrong!

Pull a Pettite not a Clemens!!

Holland isn't building a fantasy team, he's building a team. You don't have to spend just for the sake of spending. For one, I bet Mr. I appreciates the five million bucks saved.

So, you're saying you'd rather have had McCarty playing the last two weeks than having someone like LaPointe or Fedorov or some other rental they could have picked up for next to nothing? Not me. Being 5 mill under the cap means nothing to a guy like Illitch, who regularly spent 80 million a year on the wings before the cap. They had a need at the deadline and he could have filled it cheaply, yet he didn't. It's all worked out ok, though, so he gets a pass this time. Still, it wasn't a SMART move, as you described it.

Yea just imagine, no Filpulla, no Howard, no Helm. All for a rental. How's Hossa doing against Detroit...

Hossa is Pittsburgh's best player so far. He's their strongest backchecker and has hit at least one post. His line has generated the most offensive chances, even if none have gone in. Datsyuk has no points, but I'm sure you wouldn't imply he's a throwaway player because he doesn't have numbers. Hossa isn't Malkin. Watch the games.

Marty Lapoint?!?!?!?!

You lose credibility this guy hasn't done s*** since he left Detroit. Why would the wings need another Maltby?

Man up, suck it up, whatever you want.

We can what if and Hypothesize about what Holland could have, should have, would have done, however what is not hypothetical and what is actually provable is that the moves Holland did make or didn't make has this team in the Stanley cup final with a 2-0 series lead and they haven't given up a goal and scored 7.

How on earth does Marty Lapointe change that for the good? I don't want you hypothetical situations either, give me some stats or facts from Lapointe's last 3 or 4 years in the playoffs.

Plus were you with Holland and Co all day on the trade deadline? Do you know for a fact what Holland offered for what players, or do you know what the other teams told Holland they wanted in return for their players? Do you also think that maybe just maybe teams don't want to trade within the division? OR that no one wants to help the best team in the league who also happens to be the most successful team in the NHL the past 12 years?

Do you get extra points for winning 2 cups as a GM? Or does he have to wait for the third one.

Listen we all want to defend our own opinions, we always want to be right, but some times you have to admit your opinion was wrong. I don't know what you were saying during the trade deadline, but if you were doubting him or slandering him, like most posters on here (that were dogging Holland) you will probably not eat crow, because you have your little 4-5 mil cap space argument.

BIG FRIGGIN' DEAL!! It should be more impressive that he did it with cap space left over!

The first knock on Holland was that Det buys their teams, now the team is under the cap well on its way to another cup (his 3rd as GM 4th total) and if Holland had spent more money...

I don't even know how to end that statement, he is on the verge of winning the cup, and it turns out the one move he did make as sure up this D, and made what was one of the best D is the league to the best in the league.

All of you that were waiting for the wings to bomb out in the first round because of what Holland did need to admit you were wrong!

Pull a Pettite not a Clemens!!

Nice rant. I simply said they could have improved their roster for next to nothing. Lapointe is better than McCarty, that's a simple fact. Instead of having Mac play 3-5 minutes a game and taking numerous stupid penalties the past two weeks, we could have had a legitimate player out there playing 8-10 minutes a game, which gives more rest to the big guns, and not taking as many penalties. You're blowing this out of proportion. It's all worked out well but to call Holland "Smart" for not improving the roster is odd, to me.

So, you're saying you'd rather have had McCarty playing the last two weeks than having someone like LaPointe or Fedorov or some other rental they could have picked up for next to nothing? Not me. Being 5 mill under the cap means nothing to a guy like Illitch, who regularly spent 80 million a year on the wings before the cap. They had a need at the deadline and he could have filled it cheaply, yet he didn't. It's all worked out ok, though, so he gets a pass this time. Still, it wasn't a SMART move, as you described it.

Actually I would rather win the cup!!!

And seeing as the Wings are winning with the line up they have, YES I would rather have Mac than Lapointe (especially) or Fedorov.

But what you are forgetting is that both of those guys game from the same Central division that the wings play in, do you know how many times inter-division trading happens?