• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DallasStars

Outsiders view on lastnight...

Rate this topic

That game was amazing. What a great night for hockey on the national stage. I understand things didnt pan out exactly how Detroit could have hoped, but nevertheless such an entertaining game.

Up and down, loud crowd, two great teams...all of it. I dont see this series going 7. But, since the start I've been hoping for an entertaining and exciting series and thats exactly what we all got lastnight.

agreed! Was a letdown for us fans - but the 3rd period especially was some of the greatest hockey I've watched in quite some time!

We'll see the 3rd period again in the 1st period of the 6th game, I think - it's almost a pattern for Detroit now to make that big push late.

I agree win or lose that was an amazing game for dire hard hockey fans to watch.

As the game went on though I did start to wonder something. Late in the 3rd through the overtimes there were a ton of penalties committed by both teams that were not called. I really wonder how a casual fan would look at that situation. I truely beleive a casual fan does not want to have a game go into triple OT. I also believe that a casual fan laughs at how an NHL ref swallows their whistle in critical situations.

Do NBA, or NFL officials stop doing their job just because the game might be on the line. I think the refs need to continue doing the job during critical situations, if a team does commit a penalty call it and make them account for the mistake. If the game ends in the first OT or god forbid regulation that would be better for the sport in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by tweekvp

I agree win or lose that was an amazing game for dire hard hockey fans to watch.

As the game went on though I did start to wonder something. Late in the 3rd through the overtimes there were a ton of penalties committed by both teams that were not called. I really wonder how a casual fan would look at that situation. I truely beleive a casual fan does not want to have a game go into triple OT. I also believe that a casual fan laughs at how an NHL ref swallows their whistle in critical situations.

Do NBA, or NFL officials stop doing their job just because the game might be on the line. I think the refs need to continue doind the job during critical situations, if a team does commit a penalty call it and make them account for the mistake. If the game ends in the first OT or god forbid regulation that would be better for the sport in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

I understand what you're saying.

But, I'm in the belief that the players should decide the outcome, not the refs.

I understand what you're saying.

But, I'm in the belief that the players should decide the outcome, not the refs.

yeah but if a player takes an obvious penalty in OT isn't he deciding to influence the outcome of the game by being stupid and taking a penalty he shouldn't? Just because it happened in OT and not the 3rd period shouldn't matter one bit.

why do hockey fans have this mentality that there should be a different set of rules for different times in a hockey game?

That game was amazing. What a great night for hockey on the national stage. I understand things didnt pan out exactly how Detroit could have hoped, but nevertheless such an entertaining game.

Up and down, loud crowd, two great teams...all of it. I dont see this series going 7. But, since the start I've been hoping for an entertaining and exciting series and thats exactly what we all got lastnight.

Completely agree. Probably the best game of hockey I have seen in years. I was saying this in the third period.

Phenomenal game with many scoring chances, a lot of solid defensive plays, and excellent goaltending at both ends. It's what I would expect out of the Cup finals.

I have gotten a bunch of people at my work into watching hockey. Once you get into it, watching the NBA (ACCKKK!) or baseball (LOOK, I think something happened! Nope, my bad, they just moved a little) becomes a boring waste of time.

This doesn't even BEGIN to address why in the name of Yzerman they actually broadcast golf, curling, or bowling.

AND you don't have to call yourself an outsider if you don't write smack like these stupid Pens fans who probably haven't gone to a hockey game until this year.

It was a great game and each team had a lot of chances.... Honestly, I thought the Wings were not going to win as they were down 0-2.... They battled back and look how it turned out...

The Pen's are in the cup finals for a reason and they showed it last night... The last 3 days have been close...

I'm not trying to take anything away from last nights game, it was one of the best I have seen.

I couldn't believe the atmosphere in the Joe during the third period.

That said I live in Michigan and the majority of casual fans I've spoken with today turned the game off and went to sleep. That is sacrilage to a die hard fan. I think it would be better for the league if the refs continued to call the game like normal as long as the game goes on.

Then the next step is to get the refs to normally call the game consistently the NHL will be all set.

I totally agree. I haven't had a rush like that in quite some time! The "L" sucked, but the road leading to it was a hell of a ride.

On a side note: I like having you on the board DallasStars. I wish the Pens fans trolling this board had half the class you do! You, and Duck Guy, are the best as far as rival fans are concerned. Thanks for making the ride more interesting for me.

yeah but if a player takes an obvious penalty in OT isn't he deciding to influence the outcome of the game by being stupid and taking a penalty he shouldn't? Just because it happened in OT and not the 3rd period shouldn't matter one bit.

why do hockey fans have this mentality that there should be a different set of rules for different times in a hockey game?

Yes, I do understand what you are saying. Basically what I am trying to say is, call the penalties on the blatant calls (case in point, Hudler in OT last nite). However, those interference calls could have gone either way. Those could be times to put the whistle away, but that is the beauty of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Adversity is synonymous to the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Either way, helluva game last night. I don't think I'd be able to take it, if that were to happen again in Game 7. Can't tell you how many near heart attacks I had during last night's game. Unreal.

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
Yes, I do understand what you are saying. Basically what I am trying to say is, call the penalties on the blatant calls (case in point, Hudler in OT last nite). However, those interference calls could have gone either way. Those could be times to put the whistle away, but that is the beauty of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Adversity is synonymous to the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Either way, helluva game last night. I don't think I'd be able to take it, if that were to happen again in Game 7. Can't tell you how many near heart attacks I had during last night's game. Unreal.

They really need to start throwing roughing penalties around..

The game reminded me alot of the Stars' 4OT game against San Jose in the 2nd round. There wasn't a penalty from the third period until late in the 3rd OT, and then not again until the 4th OT(which was our winner :D ).

But the energy from the players is to be recognized from us fans. Those guys were FLYING in those OT's. I'll always pay respect to superior athletes when they demonstrate why they are where they are.

I kind of wanted Detroit to win lastnight so I could watch the celebration in front of the home crowd going nuts. I still want that, so I guess Im rooting for Pitt next game(sorry).

But, more than anything I want exciting hockey and so far thats what I've got.

I totally agree. I haven't had a rush like that in quite some time! The "L" sucked, but the road leading to it was a hell of a ride.

On a side note: I like having you on the board DallasStars. I wish the Pens fans trolling this board had half the class you do! You, and Duck Guy, are the best as far as rival fans are concerned. Thanks for making the ride more interesting for me.

I appreciate that.

I'm curious to what you thought of the officiating...?

I'm curious to what you thought of the officiating...?

Well, I've found that when my team isn't involved I dont notice the officiating as much. But, what I did notice was just plain inconsistency. There weren't any calls/non calls that I think were "horrible", but I do hate the inconsistency of it all. Like the goalie interferences...they NEED to define that penalty black and white in the books. This judgement call stuff just leads to a bunch of sloppy, inconsistent officiating. Maybe if the same refs did every game....ok judgement call...but when the refs change, and every ref, when it comes down to it has a different interpretation of the rule, your going to get inconsistent rulings.

But as for hookings/slashings and things of that nature, I didnt see them so I dont know about it. And when I say I didnt see them, I mean I dont watch with the same scrutiny that I would the Stars...I dont know the players as well, so I just watch the puck carrier or the loose puck.

Basically what I am trying to say is, call the penalties on the blatant calls (case in point, Hudler in OT last nite). However, those interference calls could have gone either way. Those could be times to put the whistle away, but that is the beauty of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Adversity is synonymous to the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I still don't understand why in the 'new' NHL fans of the highly skilled Red Wings team are so wanting/accepting of a different set of rules in the PO's and OT when a stricter enforement of the obstruction/clutching/grabbing would benefit their team?

Does anyone know what the ratings were for the game, or if the national media even gives a damn?

I don't watch espn anymore, but I imagine they're talking about this game after they're talking about some jack-off baseball coverage and after the NBA Finals which haven't even started yet.

Does anyone know what the ratings were for the game, or if the national media even gives a damn?

I don't watch espn anymore, but I imagine they're talking about this game after they're talking about some jack-off baseball coverage and after the NBA Finals which haven't even started yet.

I think I saw 4.2 nationally, but I dont remember perfectly.

Great thread.

I agree with everything. I've had friends and family members calling me up during the game *most that weren't really fans of hockey* and they were all telling me how into the game they were and how exciting and intense it was. They all stayed up watching till the very end. I think that in itself says a lot.

Although it wasn't the outcome us Wings fans hoped for, it was still one of the best games I've ever watched.

good post dallas stars. It was a fantastic hockey game. Didn't end the way most of us would have liked but either way it was a rollercoaster ride.

Wings in 6 :sly:

If I may, without any ridicule add to this civil thread.

Last night was an amazing game, I can only express my joy when we scored

in regulation to tie.

The wings are an amazing team, being that we here in Pittsburgh have not seen

the wings the past 2 years, who new what to expect.

times throughout this series it seemed that you had 100 guys on the ice to our 5,

what I mean the wings hustle. I think that shocked the Pens in the first 2 games.

on the ref's, ... I don't know, this is not the first time inconsistent penalty calling has happened.

it's been going on for years now. Fans bitching and coaches, players or entire organizations

complaining seems to fall on deaf ears at the NHL offices.

The hype before this series was intense, both teams were supposed to be mirror images of each other.

I thought experience was going to be the difference. That was not the only thing different.

Wings play a possession game much better than the penguins could have hoped for.

the wings SPEED is awesome. Zet/Dat are great 2 way players.

The pens have not faced a team with that kind of speed during the playoffs.

Ottawa had not chance without some of their key players.

NYR had flashes of speed but could not sustain it.

Philly, No speed and Bad luck, the best series we had to give us a test.

Pens and their fans were shocked, Including Myself. Quite a job your wings have done so far.

Prediction....7 games Detroit wins.