• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hillbillywingsfan

ESPN takes shots at Detroit sports teams

Rate this topic

That proves anyone can become a sports writer.

And also, unfotunately, that opinions can sometimes be like a**holes, as we've all been guilty of this at some point.

When I saw the general title of this thread, I didn't even waste time clicking the link to the article as I probably knew (or know) what it is going to be about.........all right most of your sports teams are respectable, but your town overall is a craphole and you have no economy.

Am I off base with what I think he said (I still haven't bothered to open the link)? I can personally attest to being in/around Detroit a few times. There are definitely some not-so-great parts of the area, but I've seen plenty of decent ones as well. You can say the same thing about pretty much EVERY METROPOLITAN AREA.

As for sports teams/towns, Detroit is up there I think as one of the best sports towns in this country, along with Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Dallas I think. What you think is the best out of those bunch or if you think I'm a looney for suggesting the other cities, have at it, I don't really care to compare which city is best/worst or undeserving of being in there.

My main points are enjoy your teams and enjoy that pretty much year in and year out you have a great sports city and focus on that while the overall economy may stink and parts of the region may be in shambles, you live there (assuming you want to live there) b/c it's home, it gives you a sense of comfort and you enjoy living there more often than not and are willing to deal with negative stuff to remain there.

This guy is retarted... i was pissed off until i read some of those responses. These responses make me proud of our teams and our whole heartedly loving fans!

I agree and he didn't even mention that MSU won the frozen 4 last year on top of all the other stuff.

I used to really like ESPN until they became a lapdog for east coast teams. The Red Sox, Yankees and Patriots couldn't hire a better marketing firm. I have sarcastically called them the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network as a result.

About the only time I watch them is if there is a game I want to watch. All their other shows I could not care less about.

Oh well. If four championships (five including the Pistons) in eleven years is "rough", I'll gladly take it. The Red Wings and Pistons, despite some disappointments, have done nothing but spoil Detroit fans for a long time now.

Biggest waste of an article ever written.

Am I off base with what I think he said (I still haven't bothered to open the link)? I can personally attest to being in/around Detroit a few times. There are definitely some not-so-great parts of the area, but I've seen plenty of decent ones as well. You can say the same thing about pretty much EVERY METROPOLITAN AREA.

That's a great way of putting it. I've been to many major cities (Detroit and Chicago most frequently), and they've all got some areas that most people would not enter.

You know what I hate about this ass? I hate that Detroit is getting beat on from all angles. Our economy sucks, our jobs are fading, all the auto giants are leaving or left. More plants close every other month. More people lose thier homes everyday. Every block has an empty home and not just the city but the burbs too. All we have to be excited about is our sports. In today's unsuraties, we know the Wings will play. The Lions will play. The Tigers will play. The Pistons will play. Assurdly some will fail but some will win. Championships, Conference finals, Playoff's, even a regular season will give us a jump. A shining hope that things may get better. On the week following a huge victory, bringing the Stanley Cup home again all this puke has to say is that tomorrow is going to be grim. Well Nastradamus, thank you for attempting to piss in our Kool-aid but we already drank it all and patiantly awaiting the next Tigers game. We look forward to the Wings owning the League again next season. We look forward to the future of the Pistons. Yes, Nancy Drew, we even look forward to the Lions playing on Thanksgiving Day in the fall. So nice attempt, now kindly please return your head to your butt.

I have to say that is better than anything ESPN could write! Seriously well done... sheer passion and love for your city and sports (I say your as I'm from UK but still a MASSIVE Wings fan, can't wait to get out there one day soon!)

That's a great way of putting it. I've been to many major cities (Detroit and Chicago most frequently), and they've all got some areas that most people would not enter.

Too true, here in London (UK) kids can't stop killing each other.... seriously. This year alone I think 20+ kids have already been killed by knives or guns. As an 18-year-old it sucks so much that I'm sometimes afraid to be out, but luckily I don't live in the worst parts (bare in mind the figures of 20+ since 1st Jan 08 is compared to 23 for the entire year last year... which is still 23 too many).....

....this really is Water Cooler talk isn't it.

Reminds me of when Bettman stated the NHL was getting better ratings with NBC and Versus that with ESPN.... Can you say retaliation...

Ah god..... I do not even was ESPN....

Edited by Rivalred

Want a rocky road? look at New York's sport teams which are are on a path that more closely resembles one that is rocky. The Knicks, Isles, Jets, Mets, Nets, Giants until recently of course, and the Yankees who have been nothing short of underachievers for almost a decade now and may be getting worse. Or what about Chicago? Oh but these ass-clowns would never bash those sacred cows b/c those are their kinds of towns.

Want a rocky road? look at New York's sport teams which are are on a path that more closely resembles one that is rocky. The Knicks, Isles, Jets, Mets, Nets, Giants until recently of course, and the Yankees who have been nothing short of underachievers for almost a decade now and may be getting worse. Or what about Chicago? Oh but these ass-clowns would never bash those sacred cows b/c those are their kinds of towns.

You make a valid point, you could probably add Los Angeles to that as well! I know the Lakers have won a few Championships in this decade, but that is all LA has had to muster up!! Ok, I'll even give them USC! Even with that we are still kicking their A$$!!

He thinks RASHEED is the most talented player on the Pistons!? Wtf... :lol:

Rasheed is the most talented player on the Pistons, when he wants to be.

If he wants to rain on our parade so be it. There isn't a better sports town out there and we all know it.

NYC gets a pass for now because of the Giants pulling off that massively awesome upset in the Super Bowl, but generally you're right, most of their teams are jokes and even the Yankees have been in a slow decline for several years.

Chicago...quick recap.

Cubs: Haven't won a WS since 1908, haven't even been to one since 1945.

White Sox: Before 2005, last WS title was 1917. Generally recognized as a garbage franchise, historically speaking.

Bears: Great tradition...from before any of us were born. They've been mediocre to bad for most of the last 20 years. They've won exactly one Super Bowl over 20 years ago, not nearly enough to prop up the run they get.

Blackhawks: Three Stanley Cups is the fewest of any Original 6 franchise, and the last in 1961 means they have the longest drought going, by six years over the Leafs' much better-known one.

If it weren't for Michael Jordan, Chicago would be a total black hole for sports success, especially when factoring in market size, the fact that they have 5 teams, etc.

Guest redwingsfan04

Screw that writer! i luv espn though!

we are sports city usa

The thing is, sports reporting is all about reporting garbage/topics not really relevant to sports/drama. And for that reason the people at ESPN hate cities like Detroit b/c they are not "sexy" as you will never hear about Lindsay Lohan or Shaq wandering the streets of Detroit like they do in such great sports towns as Miami, New York, and Los Angles, so they criticize. I guess it's not "bling bling" cruise in yo Escalade w/ spinners enough for them. I mean seriously!! what does Detroit's and St. Louis's crime rates have to do with sports? It is sad to see how shallow and ignorant the mainstream media has become. Maybe ESPN should stick to sports reporting b/c they are making huge asses of themselves trying to be MTV.

It's a shame you guys still read, listen and watch ESPN.

Back in the day, I used to be all about some espn before they became so blatantly biased toward East Coast teams(exception being the Lakers and Cowboys and when they still covered hockey the Wings). However, as they have become more MTV like, I have found myself watching them less and less. Now, I hardly ever watch them.

the Wings have been on the decline since 2000, its all good guys!

How so?, they have won two cups since then! They should have won it last year to if not for that bulls*** call on was it Datsyuk?(I try to erase that from my memory) at the end of game 5 of the Western Conference Finals last year. There season records and smart draft acquisitions certainly do not suggest that decline either.

You make a valid point, you could probably add Los Angeles to that as well! I know the Lakers have won a few Championships in this decade, but that is all LA has had to muster up!! Ok, I'll even give them USC! Even with that we are still kicking their A$$!!

That's true actually because I don't even count basketball as much of a sport (although I enjoy playing it, but that's just the point.... I CAN PLAY IT!) it's a game for anyone and the scoring is just silly... "OOO what was the score in the game last night?"..... "100-something to 120-something..... I forget". So the fact LA has basketball is a bit of a flop.

It's a shame you guys still read, listen and watch ESPN.

Why is it a shame? I like reading and watching sports from multiple networks and multiple sports sites. Reading stuff from ESPN.com, TSN.ca, SI.com, and CBS.sportsline.com is fun. Watching sports on ESPN, CBS, NBC, and FOX is fun as well.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan