• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Penguins Offer Hossa Extension

Rate this topic

...and oh, about the YOUNG Pens get leaps and bounds better than our YOUNG Wings. Next year, Datsyuk and Zetterberg will be much better as well. Our defense gets younger and bigger with Ericcson comng in, and if they lose McCarty or Downey or Kopecky and gain Rolston? How much better did the Wings get? You arguement holds no water when you say the likes Crosby and Malkin will improve more than Hudler and Filpulla. Crosby and Malkin already lead theleague in scoring, how much improvement do they need? Hudler and Filpulla have no where to go but up! Face it, some players just weren't cut out to be playoff players, just ask Eric Lindros...

Read the whole discussion that we were having - it had nothing to do with Dats or Z or whether the Wings would be better. I was making the point that even if the Pens don't add players (or lose players) they should (again no one knows for sure) be a much better team. It is not a question of whether the Pens will improve more than the Wings will - that has nothing to do with what we were discussing. My "argument" does hold water because what I was talking about is that I think that those 4 guys or at least several of them would play much better in the SCF - thus yes they are in fact a much better team than they were last year (this statement is irrespective of Dats, Z, McCarty, Downey, Kopecky, or Rolston :rolleyes:) I of course think that the Wings would still be a better team and beat them in the SCF again but that doesn't change the fact that they I think as do many people that they will be a remarkably better team next year even with no changes.

Not surprising at all.

As I've said before, the Pens will probably retain Hossa and get a huge return for Malkin, which, for those of you saying the Pens are screwed on D, could very well include a first-rate blue-liner.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the Pens are in fine shape. Hossa biting on this deal would not make them "the new Lightning of the cap world."

24 goals and 57 pts in 53 playoff games.....

...0, Nill, Nada, ZERO, ZILCH, NOT ONE Stanley Cup Championship, and not ONE Finals appearance AFTER the learning experience he was given in 1997...

...he got better alright, better aquainted with NOT winning. All I am saying is just because Crsoby and Malkin pretty much led the league during the regular season, doesn't mean tey are gonna improve leaps and ounds more than Hudler and Filpulla. Biggest differnce is Hudler and Filpulla don't really need to improve, they already have what Crosby or Malkin may NEVER get, and Stanley Cup. And both Hudler and Filpulla were huge parts of the Championship, they weren't along for the ride...

...the guys post that stated that Crosby and Malkin were going to improve more than Hudler and Filpulla is an argument that holds no water. There is no guarantee that Crosby and Malkin will improve more than our guys, based on what? The fact that they lost? That's no guarntee that they will learn anything, JUST LIKE Eric Lindros learned nothing from his embarrassing no-show in the finals...

...57 points in 53 games, whoop-dee-doo! Where was he in 1997 when his players needed him? He was being man-handled by Lidstrom/Murphy and Konstantinov...

...where was Malkin in 2008 when his team needed him? 1 goal, 2 assts.

I would try to bilk Malone into a hometown discount of epic proportions, sign Hossa, sign Redden, and move Malkin for a top tier Defensemen and some more depth. Serriously, Staal deserves to be on the second line anyways.

But on the other hand I hope they sign Hossa and Malkin, and in a year from now have to trade Staal away to oh.... let us say the Red Wings.

Hey a man can dream....

The Wings are so good because we have a great defence, solid goaltending and a ton of underpriced forwards who we can depend on to score. I mean Samuelsson gets bagged a lot but he is an absolute steal at $1.2 million. And that is why we're so successful.

But as for the Hossa offer, it's a great price if the Pens can get it done but they really could be in strife in a few years.

Excellent points :thumbup:

...0, Nill, Nada, ZERO, ZILCH, NOT ONE Stanley Cup Championship, and not ONE Finals appearance AFTER the learning experience he was given in 1997...

...he got better alright, better aquainted with NOT winning. All I am saying is just because Crsoby and Malkin pretty much led the league during the regular season, doesn't mean tey are gonna improve leaps and ounds more than Hudler and Filpulla. Biggest differnce is Hudler and Filpulla don't really need to improve, they already have what Crosby or Malkin may NEVER get, and Stanley Cup. And both Hudler and Filpulla were huge parts of the Championship, they weren't along for the ride...

...the guys post that stated that Crosby and Malkin were going to improve more than Hudler and Filpulla is an argument that holds no water. There is no guarantee that Crosby and Malkin will improve more than our guys, based on what? The fact that they lost? That's no guarntee that they will learn anything, JUST LIKE Eric Lindros learned nothing from his embarrassing no-show in the finals...

...57 points in 53 games, whoop-dee-doo! Where was he in 1997 when his players needed him? He was being man-handled by Lidstrom/Murphy and Konstantinov...

...where was Malkin in 2008 when his team needed him? 1 goal, 2 assts.

I guess that Mike Gartner and Dino Ciccarelli are not very good either because they never one the Stanley Cup. No one said he won the Cup but you said that he couldn't play in the playoffs and he obviously could and had the points to back it up. Yzerman was great in the playoffs before he won the Cup - here is a secret sometimes a player can be good in the playoffs and his team still won't win the Cup.

Just because you don't agree with a statement or a decision doesn't mean it might not be right or that it doesn't hold water (or else we would have all handed in Red Wings cards at the trade deadline too :rolleyes: ). Most people think that Malkin (some of the other young Pens too to a lesser degree) will be much much better in the playoffs in years to come and especially if they play in the SCF again. I think that it is much more likely that Malkin's numbers will improve more dramatically than will Flips or Huds (and this is not trashing on either of these guys I like them both and think that they are excellent in their rolls) as you stated 1 goal 2 assists in the SCF I just happen to think that he is and will be much better than this - you can disagree but it is still a real possibility - of course what do I know I hung on to my Red Wings card.

Edited by Frozen-Man

No way that happens. This isnt Ilya freaking Bryzgalov were talking about here. This is a top 3 player where pure offense is concerned. And Pittsburgh would have A YEAR to trade him. He doesnt become an offical RFA until July 1st, 2009. However, whoever holds his rights can negotiate a deal with him starting July 1st, 2008.

Give Shero a year to work out a deal for Malkin and I can guarantee you the sharks will be swimming. The bidding for a 22 year old Hart nominee with a 100 point season already under his belt that can be signed to a decade long contract if they wish will perk any GMs interest that has the space and has the needs.

People are vastly underestimating what Malkin brings to the table in a business sense. Adding a guy like Malkin to your roster would bring out the fans just to see the guy play. Believe it or not, the majority of owners motivation for owning a hockey team is not to play a real-life game of EHM, but to make money. And if youre a franchise that cant make your money by perennially making the playoffs, you do it with hype.

See, Im of the opposite opinion. If Im Shero, Im giving GMs the chance of a lifetime by putting Malkin on the block. I think the point that a lot of people here are missing is that Shero DOES NOT HAVE TO TRADE MALKIN OR LET HOSSA GO. He CAN have his cake and eat it too. He CAN re-sign Malkin and sign Hossa too. Is his team going to take a hit elsewhere? Yes. But its not going to affect his chances to get into the playoffs. In the Eastern conference, you can blow through the playoffs if you have a high-powered offense and little defense. He may have to cut out the likes of Sykora and Gill, but hell still have the likes of Hossa, Malkin, Staal, Crosby, Whitney, Gonchar, and Fleury to get him through it. That'll do.

If Im Shero, and GMs are trying to pull the wool over my eyes, I say fine. Im not trading Malkin. Ill keep him and adjust my team elsewhere. And if thats what Shero has to do, thats what hell do. Its not like hes trying to trade a bloated overpaid veteran here. He has a YEAR to re-sign Malkin where no one else can touch him, not even offer him an offer-sheet.

IMO, If Shero trades Malkin, the other GM is gonna be the one getting fleeced. His team just made the NHL finals. Hes not looking to downgrade. If he trades Malkin, itll be for a BETTER return value-wise than Malkin is alone.

The Pens are in very good shape offensively with Malkin Crosby and Staal. Granted that Malkin had a good 3 rounds in the playoffs and a poor showing in the final, but he's young and this was his first time. The kid has awesome talent. Remeber that Datsyuk wasn't great in his first couple of playoffs.

I say let the rental player walk but keep the core of young guys. Now use the 7 or 8 million to pick up some decent D men. It is obvious that the Pens are stacked offensively but they need 3 things:

1. Better D Men especially ones that can handle the puck

2. More experience

3. A new head coach

They should let Hossa walk and put their money to #1 and to keeping Malkin around. #2 just takes time and #3 well...

One thing to remember: Malkin has essentially stated he wants the most he can get out of his contract -- i.e., loads of $.

If the Pens must "choose" between Hossa and Malkin, that's definitely going to be taken into consideration. And not just in terms of the team's financial situation, if you know what I mean....

One thing to remember: Malkin has essentially stated he wants the most he can get out of his contract -- i.e., loads of $.

At the awards show, he stated to the press the Penguins would have an easy time extending him for another 6-7 years, that he is easy to deal with and he does not need to make more than Crosby.

At the awards show, he stated to the press the Penguins would have an easy time extending him for another 6-7 years, that he is easy to deal with and he does not need to make more than Crosby.

Well, according to Al Strachan back at the beginning of the month...

There are conflicting views on this front. Malkin's Russian friends say he has told them that he will not give the Penguins a home-town discount as Crosby did. He intends to go for the maximum, which should be something like $12 million. But others in the Malkin camp say he understands that he can't play in Pittsburgh and get $3 million a year more than Crosby, and will settle for $9 million. But what happens if another team offers him $12 million? Will he still be as loyal?

I guess it depends on what SPECULATION you are reading because TSN thinks Malkin will re-sign and not for a HUGE amount.

Malkin told the newspaper he does not need to exceed the $8.7 million salary of captain Sidney Croby but sources tell TSN the likely target for Malkin is a five-year deal worth more than $9 million per season.

REPORT: MALKIN EXPECTS TO SIGN EXTENSION WITH PENGUINS

I guess we just get to speculate more about the speculation until July 1.

Hate to bump this thread, but 5 days and no action or statements from Hossa or his agent, anyone else suspecting that hes gunna bolt?

Hate to bump this thread, but 5 days and no action or statements from Hossa or his agent, anyone else suspecting that hes gunna bolt?

His agent said there was no offer like that on the table.

Things have certainly become a little more interesting in Penguin Land over the last few days, eh? I imagine Shero was planning on losing Hossa or Malkin. But with Hossa testing the FA waters and with Russia knocking at Malkin's door, the extremely remote possibility of losing them both has to look at least a little less remote. Then you can compound that with the Habs' wheeling and dealing, which could ultimately involve Hossa....

Malkin will not leave Pittsburgh, all this talk is really outrageous as he and his agent have said point blank that he wants to re-sign there

Hossa is also not going to be a Red Wing , Detroit cannot really do better than the deal Pitt offered him(and yes length is a big deal for Hossa, it's guaranteed money regardless of performance. He's probably looking for something like 6-7 years at 8 mil/per year

I'd guess

Habs

Dallas

SJ