• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sjradio

A Pittsburgh columnist with a clue

Rate this topic

So what should we call all those Detroiters that boo Fedorov every time he comes to JLA?

By the way, Fedorov didn't leave because of money. Fedorov left because of an ego problem. With his romance or marriage with Anna Kournikova either over or on the rocks, and Steve Yzerman idolized by Red Wings' fans, Fedorov wanted "love;" i.e., the adulation of the crowd, and he felt that he couldn't compete with Yzerman, that's why he left!

Footnote to previous regarding Fedorov: The Wings' management should have realized the above situation and featured Fedorov on posters, tickets, etc. Yzerman could've handled it and maybe the Wings would've had a succession of "Stanleys" until the salary cap came into existence.

Guest wingsjunky
Footnote to previous regarding Fedorov: The Wings' management should have realized the above situation and featured Fedorov on posters, tickets, etc. Yzerman could've handled it and maybe the Wings would've had a succession of "Stanleys" until the salary cap came into existence.

fedorov leaving worked out well by freeing up cap money.

I don't have a problem with it, but the situations are similar to Detroit and Fedorov.

Enh... not really.

Fedorov played 1070 games as a Red Wing. Marian played 32 as a Penguin.

There shouldn't be nearly the same amount of emotion involved with Hossa and the Pen fans. He was a rental. Fedorov was a cornerstone for over a decade.

Guest wingsjunky
Enh... not really.

Fedorov played 1070 games as a Red Wing. Marian played 32 as a Penguin.

There shouldn't be nearly the same amount of emotion involved with Hossa and the Pen fans. He was a rental. Fedorov was a cornerstone for over a decade.

qft. he was a deadline pickup its ridiculous for them to expect any kind of loyalty.

fedorov leaving worked out well by freeing up cap money.

Fedorov signed and played with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the 2003-2004 season. 2004-2005 was the lockout. The Salary Cap didn't begin until the 2005-2006 season. That means the Wings could have/would have had Fedorov for one more season BEFORE the cap, and maybe been able to adjust his contract afterwards.

Can't really argue with the points the columnist made up.

For better or worse (and a message for the Captain Obvious base), fans will boo dislike players or because it might be the "hip" or "trendy" thing to do and you just want to go along with the crowd and be "cool".

With the Fedorov booing, I got over it a long time ago. I understand why Wings fans might do it b/c of history or because it might be "cool" or whatever else, whether the reasons or justified or not.

Let me ask this then, are Wings fans justified in booing Todd Bertuzzi or are they knuckleheads then? Yeah he left to Anaheim for more money, but if we don't even consider his "history" or that he's a fairly disliked player around the leauge and only consider his brief stint in Detroit that was short-lived, are Wings fans knuckleheads for booing him then? How about if you take everything else into consdieration then along with the brief stint? Is it justified then?

Yeah, I can see why Pens fans would be frustrated.

I wanted Hossa to stay in Pittsburgh like any Pens fan. I think the problem people have is that many times Hossa and his agent said Pittsburgh was his number one choice to play. I think that had he not said that, the Pens fans wouldn't be so upset.

When the free agency period started, I didn't even really think to much about Hossa. I just assumed he would resign with the Pens based on his comments. So it was a surprise to find out he went to Detroit.

As far as him going to Detroit, I can't really blame him. The Pens are my favorite team but the Wings by far have the best chance of winning the Cup this coming season. So if he can take less money than offered to play for the Wings one year, fine. Can't blame a guy for wanting to win the Cup.

Many in Pittsburgh feel he only signed one year because he plans to win the Cup then go back to Pittsburgh. So maybe you won't hear all those boos that the writer says you will. At the same time, I have heard that he will resign with Detroit after this year because their will be more cap money after the end of next season. Who knows, I'm sure Hossa doesn't even know yet. This season has yet to start so I doubt he has plans for next year.

...but, to the credit of managment, they offered Fedorov his huge contract and he told them to wait until the season was over because of his pending divorce and he just hired a new agent. That was in December of 2002, I believe he had his mind made up then that he was leaving, because that was actually MORE money than he got from Ahaheim. Also, remember 1997-98? He was briefley a Hurricane (on paper) until Holland matched the offer, so I think (as much I like Feds) he didn't want to be here then, he was having ego problems then. But yeah, no comparison to Hossa leaving Pittsburgh...

Yeah, I can see why Pens fans would be frustrated.

I wanted Hossa to stay in Pittsburgh like any Pens fan. I think the problem people have is that many times Hossa and his agent said Pittsburgh was his number one choice to play. I think that had he not said that, the Pens fans wouldn't be so upset.

Hmm. Can you provide actual media proof of this? Everything I remember reading gave an implication that Hossa would like to sign with a "great team like Pittsburgh" (emphasis mine), but no solid statement saying that Pittsburgh was his number one choice. However, that doesn't mean I read everything on the whole situation, so I could very well be wrong.

Hmm. Can you provide actual media proof of this? Everything I remember reading gave an implication that Hossa would like to sign with a "great team like Pittsburgh" (emphasis mine), but no solid statement saying that Pittsburgh was his number one choice. However, that doesn't mean I read everything on the whole situation, so I could very well be wrong.

...of course he's gonna mention Pitt to the Pit media, what athelete do you know that is gonna say negative things about the city he is or has just currently played for?

Hossa: "Sheet, I'd neve come back to this crybaby whining team EVER! They have no concept of winning, expect to cry and whine for calls when they lose. The coach stinks and Cindy Crysby is the most overrated player I've ever played for!"

Hossa: "Fudge! Why did it have to be Detroit??!?! That is like the worst team to ever play for! I guess I'll make the best of it!"

REALITY:

"I'd lke to play for a winning team and Pittsburgh is probably on my short list"

"Of course Detroit could be one of those teams too!"

Then AFTER he signs: "I really hate Detroit, I am just here to make some money, win a Cup and increase my value and get the f*ck out!"

...of course, he is gonna say everything poitically correct...

...f*ck the crybaby Pitt fans, boy are gonna boo him!

Anyone who complains about fans booing should, themselves, be booed.

Basically.

I like how his whole shtick is about having perspective and intelligence, but Hossa's decision on where he would play his hockey in 2008-09 was a strange one.

I may just be out of touch, but I don't think Hossa's decision was "strange." Unconventional, maybe. But strange? Strange would have been signing a one-year, 7.4 deal with Columbus.

Guest Shoreline

Well, the Penguin fans might not have loved the way Hossa left, but he was pretty much a rental anyways, just like Wings fans better not be upset if he goes somewhere else.

The issue with Fedorov isn't the same. The guy had a contract negotiation that had been going on a long while with the Wings, said he wanted his sweetheart deal, the Wings gave it to him, and he ends up taking 10 million less somewhere else. Wings fans thought he had loyalty to the team he won 3 cups with and seemed like he wanted to be captain of. It was a total 180 and also because he didn't want Yzerman taking center stage. He wanted to be captain right away, wanted the attention, and was simply egocentric. Not good for the locker room nor the team.

Pittsburgh has no reason to boo Marian, but I'd rather them boo him than not care. Wings have every reason to boo Fedorov, and I'd even moreso rather them boo Fedorov than not care. The Joe is too damn quiet anyways. Rain down the boos. Hell, boo every Penguin who touches the puck when the teams play at the Joe, this season.

To boo is not to be a knucklehead. It's simply to be passionate about your team and the sport. For that, I welcome it. Even though it didn't matter to me too much since it wasn't my team, I enjoyed watching Anaheim boo Kariya and Selanne, LA boo Blake, Vancouver boo Chelios, Chicago boo Chelios, and so on and so forth.

Edited by Shoreline

I don't have a problem with it, but the situations are similar to Detroit and Fedorov.

Similar to Fedorov? Not even close. I'd liken it more to Schneider leaving. Hossas 32 game stint with the Pens is stuff trivia questions are made of.

Guest Shoreline
Similar to Fedorov? Not even close. I'd liken it more to Schneider leaving. Hossas 32 game stint with the Pens is stuff trivia questions are made of.

Schneider had 4 seasons (3 full) with the Wings. Most people nowadays associate him with the Kings, even though he played more games with the Wings than LA. I'd say it's more like Ray Whitney.

Schneider was a bit of a funny situation. He loses to the Ducks, who win the cup. He then joins the Ducks, who go nowhere in the playoffs, then the Wings win the cup. :stanley: At least he has his cup with Montreal.

I think it all comes down to fans (yes including Detroit) have the mentality that once a player dons their jersey, there's no reason he'd ever want to leave and that he'll be a member of that team for life, and that he would be a traitor if he ever considered the thought of playing elsewhere. Wings fans have it pretty good and can have valid reasons for wondering why a player wouldn't want to play for Detroit with the great team, coaching, management, history, fan base, ect. It does get a bit out of hand when a team like Pittsburgh expects a player who played for them all of four months to sign a lifetime deal, but deep down I think that every true fan of the team has a desire to see that player stay, especially if he contributed to the team's success.