• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cicada

Hartigan to the KHL

Rate this topic

Speaking of name changes, what about the fact that Americans are too lazy to pronounce foreign names correctly and consequently change names.

Dag Hammarskjold, a former Secretary General of the United Nations, whose name is pronounced Hammarskyold, became Hammarshield

Salah-e-din, the Kurd who drove the Christians out of the Holy Land, became Saladin, et. al.

Or, better than that, an island with many birch trees which the French called Bois Blanc (white wood) became Bob-Lo Island; how about de troit (deh trwah, [city] of the straits) becoming Deetroit (I mean Detroit)

Sorry for not sticking to a hockey response!

Because Americans speak English? If you wanted to be true to every language, then Americans would have to learn the alphabets of various languages just to pronounce and spell them correctly. Unless of course you just expect Americans to learn names from hearing them, and not actually reading them. I speak three languages and have been told I have little/no American English accent when I speak them, but I wouldn't for the life of me be able to figure out how to pronounce the name on the back of Datsyuk's Dynamo jersey if I'd never heard it spoken before.

And I hate to break it to you, but its not just Americans. I've spent almost two years of my life living in South America and have heard plenty of people pronounce New York as "Nueva Shork", refer to London as "Londres" or pronounce it as "Lohndhees" in Portuguese.

But please, keep the American stereotypes coming..

Two cups earned easy, now go earn some easy money.

I really don't like him.

Why? What's oh so terrible about him? I'm not understanding your dislike for him.

He's been a fringe NHL player who had roles, albeit small ones, with two Cup winning franchises two years in a row. Good for him that he at least made it to the NHL for more than just 3 games, and that he lucked out playing on two Cup winning teams, even if he didn't play as much. Plenty of people don't get in the NHL at all.

I'm not surprised he left to try to find an opportunity for more playing time, wherever it was. Best of luck to Hartigan in the Latvian league.

You have to admit, "Hammershield" sounds pretty badass.

Somewhere in Dale Carnegie's book, How To Make Friends and Influence People, he says something such as this: "A man's name is the sweetest sound in his language, learn how to pronounce it, and learn how to pronounce it correctly."

Living in Israel I have to put up with Israeli mispronunciations of American names, such as a basketball player whose name is Earl Williams yet the arena announcer always said Errol Williams.

Sorry kid, Hammershield don't sound "badass" to me! (The grammatical error in that sentence is intended for effect!

I don't like to stick my neck out there too often on public message boards, but I am willing to take a stand on this one; I am serious when I say... "Hammershield" absolutely sounds pretty badass.

I wonder if the Russian mafia will be shaking down all these highly paid players joining the KHL. Will the League provide some sort of security for the players? I remember that Fedorov was supposedly being threatened by the Russian mafia. Not sure if it was just a rumor or it actually happened though.

I don't like to stick my neck out there too often on public message boards, but I am willing to take a stand on this one; I am serious when I say... "Hammershield" absolutely sounds pretty badass.

OK, I can see where "hammer" and "shield" have a certain sonorousness of strength, but as a person driven by facts and accuracy I can't accept willfully changing a person's name. If they want to do it, it's their business, other than that, respect a man's name because that's HIS/HER name!

I wonder if the Russian mafia will be shaking down all these highly paid players joining the KHL. Will the League provide some sort of security for the players? I remember that Fedorov was supposedly being threatened by the Russian mafia. Not sure if it was just a rumor or it actually happened though.

The way that the Russian regime er.. government works, I wouldn't be surprised.

Dang, Really liked Hartigan, Minus his playoff penalties. .He really brought alot to the squad, kinda was hoping he wasback in GR

Since you're a fight fan, I expect this must be a joke, because you can't possibly be serious about this. Hartigan was the exact definition of weak.

...and as for the "good role players" arguement, none of those apply to Hartigan, because Hartigan doesn't do anything. He fills no role. There's a reason he was never able to crack an NHL lineup in his entire career. Heck, he lost his spot on the team to a rookie (Helm) who was in his 1st professional season.

Hartigan belongs in a European league. A player like him that can put up decent points in lower levels, but not in the NHL, usually excel in leagues like that.

Since you're a fight fan, I expect this must be a joke, because you can't possibly be serious about this. Hartigan was the exact definition of weak.

...and as for the "good role players" arguement, none of those apply to Hartigan, because Hartigan doesn't do anything. He fills no role. There's a reason he was never able to crack an NHL lineup in his entire career. Heck, he lost his spot on the team to a rookie (Helm) who was in his 1st professional season.

Hartigan belongs in a European league. A player like him that can put up decent points in lower levels, but not in the NHL, usually excel in leagues like that.

Yeah, but he partied as if he was the guy that led us to the Cup.

I didn't even know who he was during the Cup celebration until someone told me that it's Hartigan. However, he's still 2nd to Lebda in terms of partying skills.

:lol: