• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
seeinred

Bulgaria women's hockey team loses 82-0

Rate this topic

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08092008/58/...onal-sport.html

82 goals on 134 shots, and not a single shot on goal for Bulgaria. They lost their other 2 games 30-1 and 42-0.

Bulgaria has a population of 7.4 million but only three indoor ice rinks and 37 registered female players.

Here's the box score.

Outscored 157-1 in 3 games... why even bother?

I don't believe it. THat's not even physically possible, even if they were a peewee team playing an NHL team. ANd if they were terrible enough to lose that bad, no way they'd score that lone goal.

It's a goal every 44 seconds, definitely possible. I bet an NHL team would score around 350 goals on a pewee team if they actually tried.

It's a goal every 44 seconds, definitely possible. I bet an NHL team would score around 350 goals on a pewee team if they actually tried.

hey that has already happened remember? the wings destroyed the south park team 32-2 but they did not score 350 close though...

The mini-mites that do a shoot-out in between periods would totally kick the Wings ass, it's actually one of the things I look forward to going to the Joe to see. Cheering for those little guys is fun as hell.

A couple of the ladies got a little rowdy at the end of the game..two match penalties were handed out. I guess I would be pretty pissed off if I finished -36 for the game :lol:

A little more info. I'm totally jacking this from another board I'm on, so, uh, thanks Sack of Chisels.

The game's final shots on goal were 139-0. Slovakia had 12 players record hat tricks, including one 10-goal scorer, one nine-goal scorer and four others with eight. Every skater was plus-22 or better, and forward Maria Herichova led the points parade with 18. Two Bulgarians finished the game minus-39.

The IIHF has some good info on Bulgaria's hockey prowess. A nation of about 7.4 million, they have just 299 registered hockey players and only three indoor rinks.

There are only 37 female players in the entire country. (Canada has about 74,000.)

"What the Slovaks did to us was kind-of an insulting mockery, and is not at all sportsmanlike," the Chair of the Bulgarian Hockey Federation Dobromir Krustev commented after the game.

Apparently there were fewer than 40 fans in the crowd for this barnburner. The score has also been confirmed as a record for a women's event.

A few Bulgarian news sources are picking up the story today, and they're calling it "one of the biggest defeats in sporting history" and "nothing short of a national embarrassment."

Bulgaria should have never entered the tournament. They're an IIHF Division 5 team. For comparison, Turkey and South Africa are IIHF Division 4 women's teams. Slovakia is a Division 1 team, which is the level right below the USA, Canada, Russia, etc. It's not out of the question that Slovakia could play its way into the Olympics if this tournament goes well, and if they have to go to a tiebreaker in their pool against Italy or Croatia, then goal differential might have mattered. (both of those games against Bulgaria were like 30-40 goal margins)

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08092008/58/...onal-sport.html

HOLY CRAP!! :yowza:

A goal every 44 seconds, down 31-0 after 1st period. How the hell do you even finish the game after the 1st period.

I take it Bulgaria isn't qualifying for the 2010 winter olympics. Just a hunch.

easy.... you just give up 51 more goals :lol:

Ironically the goalie still managed 57 saves and had a better save percentage than the winning goalie... awesome!