• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Selke13

how about this line?

Rate this topic

Babcock gave Hudler all of two games to make it on that line, and despite that line having a lot of success in the preseason, he yanked Hudler pretty immediately in favor of Samuelsson.

Babcock gave Hudler all of two games to make it on that line, and despite that line having a lot of success in the preseason, he yanked Hudler pretty immediately in favor of Samuelsson.

And it seems to have paid off with Hudler and Samuelsson on pace for career seasons. Samuelsson wasn't working with Filppula and Hudler wasn't working with Z/Franzen during even strength. Ever since the lines got switched everything has been gravy.

Its kinda strange, but its like Hudler thrives more with less ice time. Makes no sense whatsoever, but if thats whats successful and he is going to give the 3rd line a boost, what the hell eh. My only problem with this situation is Sammy on the 2nd line, cause to me he is not a 2nd line forward.

Its kinda strange, but its like Hudler thrives more with less ice time. Makes no sense whatsoever, but if thats whats successful and he is going to give the 3rd line a boost, what the hell eh. My only problem with this situation is Sammy on the 2nd line, cause to me he is not a 2nd line forward.

I feel like Samuelsson has played extremely well early on. He's played well in his own zone which is nothing new and he's on pace for a career best in points. I've even been impressed with his play on the point on the second PP unit. Hopefully, he can keep it up, but I have zero issue with his play so far.

Not really,

If hudler is playing on a lower line he's playing against other teams lesser D pairings and forwards, which means instead of playing against the nick lidstroms of the league, he's playing against the brett lebdas and Andreas Lilja's. I'm not knocking Hudler at all, i'm just saying it's a coaching coup to have the kind of matchup for babcock.

Not really,

If hudler is playing on a lower line he's playing against other teams lesser D pairings and forwards, which means instead of playing against the nick lidstroms of the league, he's playing against the brett lebdas and Andreas Lilja's. I'm not knocking Hudler at all, i'm just saying it's a coaching coup to have the kind of matchup for babcock.

That's exactly it. Hudler won't produce like people think he will on the second line because he's up against better players.

Bad idea, Samuelsson is finally putting up points, Hudler would be rag dolled by alot of 2nd lines in this league and he is going to run out of steam at some point trying to catch up with Z and Franzen if he is a regular on that line.

Bad idea, Samuelsson is finally putting up points, Hudler would be rag dolled by alot of 2nd lines in this league and he is going to run out of steam at some point trying to catch up with Z and Franzen if he is a regular on that line.

Hudler leads all Wings forwards in PP points, and also leads all Wings forwards in PP points PER MINUTE. He plays with Z and Franzen on that line. If Hudler is the most dangerous offensive player on that unit, why doesn't he get to play on it at even strength?

Seems like he has no trouble keeping up with them on the PP, huh?

Let's see what it looks like at even strength.

Hudler leads all Wings forwards in PP points, and also leads all Wings forwards in PP points PER MINUTE. He plays with Z and Franzen on that line. If Hudler is the most dangerous offensive player on that unit, why doesn't he get to play on it at even strength?

on the PP he isn't tested physically, he literally just floats around because everyone is focused on Z and Franzen, i think he deserves to be on PP, but he will get overpowered on 5 on 5 its a fact of hockey, the bigger and stronger and more skilled will take over.

You make it sound like Hudler is the best forward in the league.

I remember hearing Mick and Ken talking about this, and Hudler was too hesitant to shoot on his own while playing along Franzen and Hank. He'd consistently look to pass, even if he had a shot open. Moving him away from those two has dramatically increased his shots per game, and he's producing because he's feeling the pressure and he's gaining confidence. With Hank and Mule, I think he wasn't feeling "good enough" and was looking to those two to produce because he wasn't "able" to. Getting him on a lower tier line has done wonders for his confidence imo. He's looking better and better, shooting more often, and putting points on the board.

The last game against Vancouver was a huge indicator of his soaring confidence. His eye hand coordination for those two goals was INCREDIBLE. He was insanely patient and precise. Beautiful goals.

-2 coming into tonight's game.... and that's taking into account his success on the power play.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

on the PP he isn't tested physically, he literally just floats around because everyone is focused on Z and Franzen, i think he deserves to be on PP, but he will get overpowered on 5 on 5 its a fact of hockey, the bigger and stronger and more skilled will take over.

You know what?

If Hudler can have offensive success playing on the PP with Zetterberg and Franzen, then what says he can't at even strength? All three players are above average defensively or better, and all are top-six caliber offensive forwards.

Based on numbers coming into tonight, Hudler's 6 ES points in 18 games, or one even-strength point every three games places him solidly as a second line forward as far as even-strength offensive performance is concerned. Beyond that, he is tenth among all forwards in the NHL in PP points, which ranks him not only as a first-line forward in that respect, but as a team's #1 forward. He has a better PP points-per-game than Zetterberg, Hossa, Datsyuk, Crosby, or Ovechkin too. He has better PP and ES numbers than Teemu Selanne.

Let's give Hudler some credit...this guy is one of the league's better offensive forwards, and it especially shows when he's allowed some room to work with some talented linemates.

You know what?

If Hudler can have offensive success playing on the PP with Zetterberg and Franzen, then what says he can't at even strength? All three players are above average defensively or better, and all are top-six caliber offensive forwards.

Based on numbers coming into tonight, Hudler's 6 ES points in 18 games, or one even-strength point every three games places him solidly as a second line forward as far as even-strength offensive performance is concerned. Beyond that, he is tenth among all forwards in the NHL in PP points, which ranks him not only as a first-line forward in that respect, but as a team's #1 forward. He has a better PP points-per-game than Zetterberg, Hossa, Datsyuk, Crosby, or Ovechkin too. He has better PP and ES numbers than Teemu Selanne.

Let's give Hudler some credit...this guy is one of the league's better offensive forwards, and it especially shows when he's allowed some room to work with some talented linemates.

He didn't prove himself earlier on, he is a tiny assed dude. Im giving him credit, he works well in his role, now get over it.

What was the turning point?

Eleven minutes into the third period, Henrik Zetterberg won a battle along the Calgary boards, and made an impressive blind-backhand pass to Jiri Hudler. Hudler, who rushed out onto the ice for goaltender Ty Conklin during a delayed penalty, let a laser go from the left face-off dot, and Kiprusoff was left basking in the goal light. The Red Wings regained the lead, 3-2, with the Hudler goal, and they never looked back. It wastes another clutch performance for Hudler, who has been one of the hottest Red Wings of late. He has had three consecutive multi-point games, and has six on the season. To put it in some perspective, Hudler had eight multi-point games all of last year, and he played in 81 games. He finished with six shots and a plus-three rating in only 11 minutes of ice time.

-insert Huddle-love HERE-

I'm seriously anticipating an amazing season from Hudler this year, and I don't think it matters what line he plays on. If he can keep his concentration and confidence up, I don't see anything that might hold him back from playing along with Hank and Mule. Unless they want them to make Sammy look good for trade bait :hehe:

Didnt he jump on that line as the extra man and score last night vs Calgary? Took all of what 10 seconds for the line to click click boom.

He was the 6th guy in, rushed in, no one saw him, and was totally uncovered. Yes it was an awesome shot and hudler definitely has offensive skill and it was an awesome play, but it wasn't the norm. Hudler just doesn't produce on the second line, we've seen it last year, and we've seen it this year.

He was the 6th guy in, rushed in, no one saw him, and was totally uncovered. Yes it was an awesome shot and hudler definitely has offensive skill and it was an awesome play, but it wasn't the norm. Hudler just doesn't produce on the second line, we've seen it last year, and we've seen it this year.

Hudler was never given a chance last year, and this year his 'chance' was a joke. He is now basically a point-per-game third line player. He has made many impressive and timely defensive plays this season as well.

Hudler is 3rd line 12 minute per game player....PERIOD! Any more than that he goes downhill.....

As shown by what? His kickin' rad cup of coffee with the second line to start the year?

and he doesn't do well with Z.

Again, as evidenced by what? That pass he got from Hank to nail the game-winner last night? Granted, that was an unusual scenario, but the pair play on the PP together, and the so-called second unit featuring the two has been outstanding in recent games.

Hudler is 3rd line 12 minute per game player....PERIOD! Any more than that he goes downhill..... and he doesn't do well with Z.

Hudler doesn't work well with Z? And your evidence to support this is their great chemistry on the PP together - the only time they ever get the chance to play together?

He goes downhill when he plays beyond the 3rd line? And you draw this conclusion from where? Hudler played all of 8 games last year at above the 3rd line TOI marker (about 16 minutes). With the exception of one occasion, none of those games came consecutively and most came about 5-8 games apart. This season, hes had all of 2 games at or above that marker. So based on 10 games getting 2nd line ice time over 1.25 seasons - none of which lasted for more than 2 games in a row - he can't play on the third line?

Folks are still holding on to pre-CBA notions of how no small guys can compete. Fact is, Hudler is 24 years old and on the natural path to becoming more and more adept at handling NHL defenseman. Any sharp fan would notice how Hudler has become much harder to manage along the boards even for defenseman some 6-8 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier. Fact remains that some folks on here are loathe to admit that a tiny European is capable of being a regular scorer. Start supporting your arguments with fact as opposed to bias.

Edited by YoungGuns1340