• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PROBIE4PREZ

Avery comments & suspension

Rate this topic

iam so glad today to announce that we got rid of this guy back in 04 i mean what an idiot, what is this a freakin reality show? this is the nhl sean! if he wasnt like this he would be a good hockey player that teams would want on their teams without the garbage he brings to his game.... but good to see him get suspended cuz he probably would of got beat up by dion tonight anyways so the nhl just saved his ass

In a perverse way, I like Avery. I hear a lot from friends who are fans of other sports that they really lament how boring player interviews are in the NHL compared to the NBA or the NFL. Avery does something to shake that up, shame he gets hammered any and every time he stokes the flames. In any case, it's absurd how someone like Chris Pronger very nearly got away with attempting a concious skate-stomp on someone's leg - and even afterward got a reduced sentence from the 30-game benchmark - then Avery gets shut down instantly for trash-talk that nobody would have given two s***s about if it was said on-ice.

Besides, Cuthbert is a stereotypical little puckbunny. Avery was crude but damn if he wasn't right on the money. Plus, tonight's Calgary-Dallas game would have been EPIC if he was skating.

In other news, I think 'sloppy seconds' should now be the official term for a Phaneuf assist.

Edited by Cern

Guest Shoreline

I think this deserves a suspension simply because the NHL needs not be an off-ice soap opera. The sport is played on the ice. If Avery's comments were on the ice to Phaneuf or his teammates, then this case to me is perfectly okay. Now that this gets in the media, this is not the kind of attention the NHL needs. I'd rather the NHL get no attention at all than bad, and sadly the case is the U.S. media only pays attention to the bad or dramatic s*** that happens to this sport.

Avery has been given a pass for far too long, and he should lose this season with the risk, next time he wants to shoot his mouth off to the media, of being banned for any other instances.

Whatever the impact of Avery's comments, his teammates didn't seem to miss him at all. In fact they just played the best game I've seen them play all season, as if to show that his comments are no reflection on their team. Turco was stellar. 3-1 win (EN), with Fabian Brunnstrom's GWG goal courtesy of a brainfart from none other than Phaneuf.

Avery was more help to his team off the ice indefinitely than he would have been suited up, apparently.

Maybe Bettman got all upset because he's also dated some of Avery's ex-girlfriend's :scared::scared:

No seriously, the NHL was just looking for any reason to suspend him. Do they really want a guy playing in the league who admitted that he used to beg his babysitters to bring over their dolls so he would have something to play with??

Whatever the impact of Avery's comments, his teammates didn't seem to miss him at all. In fact they just played the best game I've seen them play all season, as if to show that his comments are no reflection on their team. Turco was stellar. 3-1 win (EN), with Fabian Brunnstrom's GWG goal courtesy of a brainfart from none other than Phaneuf.

Avery was more help to his team off the ice indefinitely than he would have been suited up, apparently.

Though I wouldn't be suprised if Avery takes credit for "giving his team the motivation they needed".

:rolleyes:

I like Avery spicing up the NHL a bit, but I am more than thrilled he is no longer on the Wings team. "Sloppy Seconds" does not equate to a suspension, let alone an "indefinite suspension", IMO.

I do appreciate TSN running the interview, and then acting "outraged" over it and the owner stating "we would have suspended him anyways" after he was suspended <_<

So pronger got what, 8 days for stomping on someone, and Avery gets suspended indefinitely for running his mouth? really? LAME!!

Yes, but that was Pronger's 8th suspension so he had already served plenty of time. This is Avery's first so a message needs to be sent!

I was hoping Avery's career would end in an act of brutal, graphic violence on the ice. But if this ends his career instead, I'll take it.

If Bettman really wanted Avery out of the NHL, all he has to do is get rid of the instigator penalty :scared:

hahahaha about time the NHL is sick of it, I dunno how long 'indefinitely' is gonna be, but as others have said, sounds a bit harsh considering Pronger apparently has a 2 game maximum suspension clause.

I barely know much of the details regarding this but here goes...

Something like this was inevitable with Sean Avery I think. If this was just a first-time offender or somebody other than Avery, that person would still be playing.

People are going to yap and talk crap and say stupid things to each other on the ice or playing surface when competitive spirits are high, whatver the sport is. Plenty of things much worse that what Avery apparently said not even on the ice. However, that stuff is usually kept on the playing surface or at minimum goes to the locker room where it usually stays. Now there are definitely trash-talking instances that definitely go past the locker room and into the media, but it is usually media overhyping things, not the other way around where Avery looks like he's just wanting to be an attention-***** drama queen creating unnecessary controversy.

I can be a pretty big smart allec, I like humor, blah blah blah, but sometimes you just got to know when to just stop. Avery has had plenty of chances to practice at doing this and hasn't even come close to passing. Again if it was a first-time offender, probably not much happens. But because it is Avery, he's given the boot, and as mean as this may sound he got what was coming to him and deserves this. He doesn't know his limits.

Silly to be suspended for this exact lingo? Probably. Again though, consider the source. Avery is no stranger stirring crap up in the media.

Hopefully he'll learn some lesson through all of this for the better.

Posted this for the most part in the other thread about Avery...

I barely know much of the details regarding this but here goes...

Something like this was inevitable with Sean Avery I think. If this was just a first-time offender or somebody other than Avery, that person would still be playing.

People are going to yap and talk crap and say stupid things to each other on the ice or playing surface when competitive spirits are high, whatver the sport is. Plenty of things much worse that what Avery apparently said not even on the ice. However, that stuff is usually kept on the playing surface or at minimum goes to the locker room where it usually stays. Now there are definitely trash-talking instances that definitely go past the locker room and into the media, but it is usually media overhyping things, not the other way around where Avery looks like he's just wanting to be an attention-***** drama queen creating unnecessary controversy.

I can be a pretty big smart allec, I like humor, blah blah blah, but sometimes you just got to know when to just stop. Avery has had plenty of chances to practice at doing this and hasn't even come close to passing. Again if it was a first-time offender, probably not much happens. But because it is Avery, he's given the boot, and as mean as this may sound he got what was coming to him and deserves this. He doesn't know his limits.

Silly to be suspended for this exact lingo? Probably. Again though, consider the source. Avery is no stranger stirring crap up in the media.

Yes I do get the hypocrisy of suspending Avery for something marginal like this and not a harsher sentence for Pronger with the foot stomp, etc. That's sports politics for ya, happens in every professional sport.

Hopefully he'll learn some lesson through all of this for the better.

SUSPENDED? really? come on. for that? i feel that someone could do a lot worse without even seeing a fine?

thats funny. and it would have made for a much better tilt.

i neither hate nor love avery. he's just "that guy" of the NHL.

plus, he designs dresses and purses, so im sure he takes as much s*** as he dishes out.

Guys can take other guys' heads off on the ice with nothing but Avery gets suspended for calling a chick a skank? WTF!?

Boooooooooooools***!

esteef

This.

It's not that I disagree with his suspension - I don't, he's had it coming and he knows he's had it coming (in fact, I'll bet he's probably laughing.. the suspension is bringing it more attention than it would have got alone, and that's what Avery does.. get attention. As long as he continues to get a contract/get paid by someone, he wins this one soundly.)

It's just that 'sloppy seconds' is nothing compared to tons of worse things that get said on the ice that go unpenalized (where, by the way, hundreds, even thousands of people can sometimes hear them, children included). And that running/stomping on a guy with intent to injure draws a less notable suspension. Totally ridiculous.

And yes, TSN's hypocrisy was/is facepalm worthy.

Guys can take other guys' heads off on the ice with nothing but Avery gets suspended for calling a chick a skank? WTF!?

Boooooooooooools***!

esteef

I'm not sure where I stand on the suspension but where would it end? First he calls someones girlfriend sloppy seconds, what's next callins someones wife a *****? Why bring significant others into the conversation? It's worthless and not needed.

I'm glad a precedent was set and it seems like the Dallas Stars are as well. They hate him and he's already become a detriment only 20 games into the season. He'll get waived or bought out by next year I'm sure. What a horrible teammate. Especially from a guy who's not that good of a hockey player to begin with.

An unnamed Dallas Stars player:

"Can they suspend him for four years?"

Haha, if it was Turco or Richards, I wouldnt be surprised. But the rest of him hate him too.

Makes me wonder what people woul'dve thought of Lemeiux if he hadnt won anything, because when Avery was on a winning team, they put up with it. But now that Dallas are falling faster and faster, and there's no Morrow to lead them, there fed up with Avery. Good on them, he's a tool. I hope he goes to Anaheim, belongs with Perry, honestly he can bring Ott with him so I can respect Dallas again.