• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FourtyThirteen

Wings got the talent, but what about the coaching?

Rate this topic

Clearly is having a great run for sure, but Hudler has 25 points in 28 games. I don't know what line he's been playing on lately, but it's not a good idea to let him languish on the lower lines. He needs to be up with the scorers, he's on pace for 73 points and that projection is only getting better. This, after being one of the top producers in the playoffs.

Edited by Earthhuman

Over the past 5 games, Cleary has 8 pts (2G, 6A). In those same 5 games, Datsyuk has 2 pts (2A) and Hossa has 3 pts (2G, 1A). He's not getting garbage points from them. And the rest of the roster over the last 5? Z has 3 pts, Franzen 4 pts, Homer 3 pts, Huddles 5 pts, Flip 5 pts, Sammy 0, Maltby 1, Draper 1, Kopecky 1. Looks to me like Cleary's more than holding his own, regardless of who he's playing with.

I understand your frustration, I do. The wings have been slightly frustrating. Here is my complaint with your post. You propose Babs is the issue. You propose he swapping lines to much. He did not start doing that until two games ago. When things get stale it is pretty common to swap lines up. As far as ZDH versus Dats and Hossa, have you seen the numbers? Our top two lines are rolling.... HARD. I think your grasping at straws with this. The reason the sharks are doing so well is Todd has taken everything he learned from Babs and applying it to the Sharks. Lets not think for 1 minute that Todd is the reason for our success. Our issues are on the defensive end. At this time we do not have a goalie that is coming up with the game winning saves/ Our defense is out of whack as well. We need to tighten up the net and the blueline. I believe the Wings are ranked pretty high in goals this year. I think right now we need 3 goals per game to win... Thats not Red Wings hockey. This is not a Coaching problem. Babs is one of the best in the league.

Ok but the Sharks thing... They are doing marginally better than they did last year when they missed the Presidents Trophy by about 3 points. You have to take into account that their division got a lot weaker since last year. The Stars have dropped down to being the worst team in the Western Conference and the Duckies are a mediocre 16-11-3 (16-14). They are currently 8-2 against their division.

Granted they are playing great the first 3rd of the season but until they get past the 2nd round of the playoffs, I'm not ready to annoint McClellan as the savior. Keep in mind that he is a rookie head coach and the Sharkies are perennial underachievers.

As far as our defense, we went from about 20th at the start of the year to 3rd in the league in shots against while our goals against has not changed. Our defense has pretty much been fixed. Goaltending is the issue now.

Ok but the Sharks thing... They are doing marginally better than they did last year when they missed the Presidents Trophy by about 3 points. You have to take into account that their division got a lot weaker since last year. The Stars have dropped down to being the worst team in the Western Conference and the Duckies are a mediocre 16-11-3 (16-14). They are currently 8-2 against their division.

Granted they are playing great the first 3rd of the season but until they get past the 2nd round of the playoffs, I'm not ready to annoint McClellan as the savior. Keep in mind that he is a rookie head coach and the Sharkies are perennial underachievers.

As far as our defense, we went from about 20th at the start of the year to 3rd in the league in shots against while our goals against has not changed. Our defense has pretty much been fixed. Goaltending is the issue now.

Just because we allow less shots doesnt mean we fixed anything. The defence is still playing bad, we give up lots of quality shots to the opponents. And when it comes to shots, it's quality not quantity. GA is much more important then shots against, I dont see how that could've changed our defence.. at all.

sorry man, after i saw that, this post loses all validity. you wanna see what happens with those two getting more ice time than lids?!?

You haven't seen how Lidstrom's been playing the last few games? Teams always tend to dump the puck into his side because he's older and can barely battle. I never said he was a bad player, but I think he's just getting old. Did you the the Stars vs Detroit Red Wings? Lidstrom moved out of the way and gave the Stars player the open slot. It was like a shootout!

So basically everyone is going to disagree with me because I have some complaints about the Wings this season?

Uhh, nope, that's not it. I'm sure we all have our complaints. We just don't necessarily agree with yours.

Oh yeah, and welcome to LGW!

Edited by lets go pavel

So basically everyone is going to disagree with me because I have some complaints about the Wings this season?

I also find the blind faith everyone is showing in Babcock quite worrying, like hes some kind of God who cant make a single mistake.

Just to correct a few people in the thread, Mike Babcock DID NOT win the cup last season. The Detroit Red Wings did. And theres alot of that Detroit Red Wings that is missing/has changed this year. The biggest change being at coach level.

I was with you until you took a shot at Cleary, again with this. 2 goals and 8 points in 5 games, and consistently the hardest working player on the ice, WITH the big guns also on the ice. What more does he need to do? Start playing like Ovechkin night in and night out for people to give him respect? He's versatile. He can kill penalties, and he does it well, he can score goals, 20 in back to back years, he can set up plays, maybe his 14 assists this season arent that good afterall right?

As for Babcock, yeah, I mean three straight 50 win seasons is nothing. And a Stanley Cup and a trip to the WCF, man anyone could do that.

Im not dogging Cleary by any means. I'm saying that i havent been impressed with how he mingled with Hossa and Dats. Theres no doubt hes a good solid player and a hard worker, no doubt in my mind. He just doesnt seem to look comfortable with them guys is what i was trying to get at. You guys can have your own opinions but when i watch the games i find myself noticing that almost every time Clearys out to shift with them. I guess i havent had a chance to watch as many games this year as i would like but thats the way lifes going for me this year. I have watched atleast half and i have seen Cleary do very little with those guys. You going to get points no matter who you are if your on the ice with Hossa and Dats and thats a fact that cant be denied. You say well Babs been choosing cleary to be on that line for a reason. Well Babs does do some odd things sometimes, like not keeping Huds on the 1st 2 lines and giving him ice time.

I know a couple other of you had opinions in reply to me but i just got in the door and i gotta run back out it right about now.

why are we questioning coaching in December when we are still near the tops in the league?

Because if the Wings aren't dominating all of the best teams in December it obviously spells a 1st round knockout. Just like last year when we didn't have the secondary scoring or "toughness" for a long playoff grind.

Because if the Wings aren't dominating all of the best teams in December it obviously spells a 1st round knockout. Just like last year when we didn't have the secondary scoring or "toughness" for a long playoff grind.

dammit you know this is why i am finding it hard to be a fan of this team... we always suck all the time! *shakes fist* play like professionals you BUMS!

I also find the blind faith everyone is showing in Babcock quite worrying, like hes some kind of God who cant make a single mistake.

Not blind faith. But I think the majority of us feel he has earned the faith in him. Of course he makes mistakes, but what evidence do you have that the Wings current lack of consistent play is his responsibility? What are your complaints with Babcock? All the OP could provide was a disagreement over lines, which seems to be a rather silly thing to throw Babs under the bus.

Ya know, I have wanted to point this out for awhile but...

... the zamboni driver has sorta been dogging it out there between periods. I blame him. And Obama. He's involved too. <_<

Seriously though, of the people I would point fingers to, Babs is damn near the end of the line. If you want to point at McCrimmon, I can understand that. But the Red Wings gameplan is an excellent one, especially with the talent we have. It's just not being executed right now. Babas gave them 25+ games to adjust to Hossa, shake off the Cup hangover, and get back to playing Red Wings Hockey. It didn't happen so he's stirring up the lines. I view that as good coaching. Not freaking out immediately when things didn't go right. Not over-reacting now. Just subtle twists to mix things up and let the players know they are not performing to standard.

but what evidence do you have that the Wings current lack of consistent play is his responsibility?

What are your complaints with Babcock?

None. To both of those.

I didnt mention anything anti-Babcock in this thread, I was just saying people on here talk like hes God and nothing could possibly be his fault.

You guys have nothing to worry about. Your team will be just fine. I'm sure they're not playing to the level that you have come to expect, but what matters is how they are playing in the spring and early summer. Not right now. Trust a Sharks fan...I would know.

The wings are still near the top of the conference despite these "defensive struggles". It'll be all right. I promise. :)

Its not blind faith if the man is coaching a team that has been and still is SUPER SUCCESSFUL!

Edited by OsGOD

None. To both of those.

I didnt mention anything anti-Babcock in this thread, I was just saying people on here talk like hes God and nothing could possibly be his fault.

with good reason ...

babsgod-1.jpg

Edited by lets go pavel

Its not blind faith if the man is coaching a team that has been and still is SUPER SUCCESSFUL!

I know alot of us are from Michigan and have little faith in anything right now, but seriously why are we critisized everytime we have any faith? If we want to have positive feelings about our #1 division, #2 confrence team then by all means we should be allowed without all the doubt.

All right man, lets just follow suit... I hate the Wings, Ozzy sucks, Babs is a no good *******, IDK why we even signed Hossa, Z is a tool, Dats is still f'n sweet, Lids is old and passed his prime, raf was the worst signing in years, they won't ever win the cup besides for the last 4 in 11 yrs.

f*** this no good, awful, #1 team...

I know alot of us are from Michigan and have little faith in anything right now, but seriously why are we critisized everytime we have any faith? If we want to have positive feelings about our #1 division, #2 confrence team then by all means we should be allowed without all the doubt.

All right man, lets just follow suit... I hate the Wings, Ozzy sucks, Babs is a no good *******, IDK why we even signed Hossa, Z is a tool, Dats is still f'n sweet, Lids is old and passed his prime, raf was the worst signing in years, they won't ever win the cup besides for the last 4 in 11 yrs.

f*** this no good, awful, #1 team...

i disagree... you forgot, we won't get past the first round!

why are we questioning coaching in December when we are still near the tops in the league?

The Big 3 were near the tops in the world for a long time- maybe someone should have been questioning their leadership a bit earlier than now (just using your avatar to make a point).