• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ManLove4Homer

Mats Sundin Signs With Vancouver Canucks

Rate this topic

Haha I'm happy. Our record would have been ever worse against them. They're a force I think in the west. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the WCF

I don't see this happening.

On the other hand, I'm salivating at the thought of playing San Jose or Chicago in the playoffs. That's going to breed some great playoff games.

in the end, he just went for the money.

:rolleyes:

Only a handful of competitive teams had the cap room at this point- NY and Vancouver (with NY having to dump salary to make room had he picked them).

Your comment would be valid had Sundin chosen Vancouver in the summer when the contract was actually worth 10 million.

Instead he lost money sitting around being painfully indecisive.

I really hate it when a player sits out for almost hafl a season and then decides to sign. Its one thing if he was holding out to play for a team that might need to clear cap space, like Shanahan did. But when you have offers and you decide to sit on your but and think if you are going to take the 10 million dollar offer or the 5 million dollar offer.

It's BS

Im pretty sure Sundin WAS waiting for the Rags to clear cap space recently, but I see your point. I've lost respect for him. A Vancouver Canucks team with Sundin still doesn't scare me much.

He has a better chance of winning the cup in Van, but well its not gonna happen anyways

I don't think so - tough road through the West - the Nucks never make it to the WCF.

Anyhow, this doesn't make me afraid of the Canucks - one out of shape old man isn't going to get them the Cup.....

Only a handful of competitive teams had the cap room at this point- NY and Vancouver (with NY having to dump salary to make room had he picked them).

Your comment would be valid had Sundin chosen Vancouver in the summer when the contract was actually worth 10 million.

Instead he lost money sitting around being painfully indecisive.

Unless I am mistaken, the contract he signed with Vancouver is still the 2 year, 10 million/year contract, no? There was no other info in the TSN article. That amount is pro-rated for the remainder of this year, and is a full 10 mill next year. The fact is that the Rangers have a better chance of winning the East than Vancouver has of winning the West. So, he still just took the money.

Please correct my statements about his contract if i'm mistaken..

Honestly surprised that Sundin signed in the West. I won't be surprised if he doesn't thrive, though. He's played EC hockey his entire career (or Wales Conference, if you include Quebec) and it's yet to be seen if he can hang with the style of play in the West.

Unless I am mistaken, the contract he signed with Vancouver is still the 2 year, 10 million/year contract, no? There was no other info in the TSN article. That amount is pro-rated for the remainder of this year, and is a full 10 mill next year. The fact is that the Rangers have a better chance of winning the East than Vancouver has of winning the West. So, he still just took the money.

Please correct my statements about his contract if i'm mistaken..

You're assumptions are wrong. It's a one-year contract and I believe his cap hit is $7m or thereabouts.

I live in Vancouver and I'm sick and tired of Sundin this and Sundin that when he hasn't really done anything. This town is all giddy as you can imagine. Signed for 1 year 10 mil/yr or around 5.5-6 mil hit on the cap. Vancouver wanted 2 years but they'd do anything to get him so technically, about 5 month rental player.

I think they paid way too much, he is about a 30 goal/yr player so for 1/2 a season, that works out to like $400,000 for every goal ... I know, I know ... he makes everyone play better blah blah blah.

We'll see. I'm not convinced of anything yet.

he did great in toronto......for his personal stats. maybe it wasn't his fault. it was always ozzy and stevies fault before '97. and still is ozzys fault if you ask anybody on this site. not me though, i love ozzy.

History of upsets or not, the Western Conference is a brutal place to be. The Canucks could easily get bounced in the first round. I would have liked his chances to get deep in the playoffs better in New York.

I live in Vancouver and I'm sick and tired of Sundin this and Sundin that when he hasn't really done anything. This town is all giddy as you can imagine. Signed for 1 year 10 mil/yr or around 5.5-6 mil hit on the cap. Vancouver wanted 2 years but they'd do anything to get him so technically, about 5 month rental player.

I think they paid way too much, he is about a 30 goal/yr player so for 1/2 a season, that works out to like $400,000 for every goal ... I know, I know ... he makes everyone play better blah blah blah.

We'll see. I'm not convinced of anything yet.

Since when does regular season counts? If he bring the close to the Cup, how can anyone say it's a bad deal. Plus they still have enough cap space to make another move.

History of upsets or not, the Western Conference is a brutal place to be. The Canucks could easily get bounced in the first round. I would have liked his chances to get deep in the playoffs better in New York.

Although Sundin's signing probably isn't enough to make Naslund wish he was back in Vancouver, is it?

I think he'd be great for the Nucks and the Western conference. I'm dog tired of all these slacker Western teams that barely slide into the playoffs only to reek havoc on our Cup runs. Its hard to beat teams which play with nothing to lose. Improved competition ought to cull much of that slack.

Listened to two interviews today; one with Mike Gillis and one with Mats Sundin. Both said the same thing -- that money was hardly discussed past the original offer and that Sundin actually offered to take less than the original money offer in order for Gillis to add an additional top six forward soon. They both also said that travel was never even discussed but that Sundin's biggest concern was not disrupting the Canucks dressing room. Sundin was also concerned about anyone who might have to be sent to the minors if he comes to Vancouver. The final thing was that Sundin has been impressed with the Canucks style of play this year and that was a big part of his decision. Sundin said that Vancouver was the best fit for him. Mike Gillis echoed all of this in a separate interview.

Just heard on Team 1040... Sundin took an 8.6 million per year salary, then pro-rated minus what he's missed of this season.

When you're only in it for the money, it's clear you'd offer to take less than what was originally offered. :blink:

Edited by One of the Few

Since when does regular season counts? If he bring the close to the Cup, how can anyone say it's a bad deal. Plus they still have enough cap space to make another move.

Good money says Vancouver wins their division, so they will probably face Calgary, Chicago, or Anaheim in the first round, Anaheim, Chicago or San Jose in the 2nd.

With the Sundeen sisters and a trade deadline acquisition on one line, Sundin, Dimetra, Wellfed on another, and Luongo in net, they could get real hot.

We could face Anaheim or Chicago in the first round.

Good money says Vancouver wins their division, so they will probably face Calgary, Chicago, or Anaheim in the first round, Anaheim, Chicago or San Jose in the 2nd.

With the Sundeen sisters and a trade deadline acquisition on one line, Sundin, Dimetra, Wellfed on another, and Luongo in net, they could get real hot.

We could face Anaheim or Chicago in the first round.

Vancouver beats San Jose in the 2nd round. That would be sweeeet...

Since about 1/3 of the season is over, I think he'll make around 7 million. I heard it was only a one year deal though. The Canucks will likely win their weak division, which means more then likely they'll get the Wings in the second round (assuming they both win their opening series). Is it just me, or does the East look a lot tougher then the West this year?

It's just you.

Vancouver beats San Jose in the 2nd round. That would be sweeeet...

It would be reeeeaaal sweet...unless they beat Anaheim in the first round, then they would have so much confidence they might be unstoppable. :blink:

That Kyle Wellwood is a sneaky little bastard. Seems he is out to lunch for most of the game, then all the sudden you lost track of him and all the attention will be on big Mats and the Sycling Sundeen Sisters, then Wellfed comes out of no where and pops one into the net from 3 ft out. Be aware people, be very aware of the Canuckleheads from here on out.

I'm excited at the prospect of multiple teams having a chance at the Cup. Vancouver is now thrown in with Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim and maybe even Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these teams upset us (but yes I would still call it an upset - except in the Sharks case).

Not to mention the East with the emergence of Philly and Boston added in with the Pens, Rangers, Habs and Devils.

Looks like it's going to be a fun post-season.

Edited by DatsyukownzU13

Guest mindfly

From swedish aftonbladet, about why he did not choose a real contender, san jose, detroit or boston:

But if you were looking for a stanley cup title in first place, why not sign for a lower salary in San José, Detroit or Boston, the teams who feels like the strongest?

- Yeah, but it's never that simple. You can't pick a team and then assume they will win Stanley Cup. It's a long journey to the cup and history has shown that alot of stuff can happen on the way. But I think Vancouver has a team that can fight for the Stanley Cup.

*Note my english is bad but i think people can understand anyways*

Edited by mindfly