• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Where do you want the next Winter Classic be?

Rate this topic

Where do you want the next Winter Classic be?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not including the first six teams that played outdoors. I know some of those teams didn't hose the event but I just don't think they'll be considered. But that is just 1 goof's opinion.

Sorry if I didn't consider any place obvious, basically tried to consider all other places that were far north enough where it would be chilly/ice would still be good enough to play.

My vote goes for Minnesota, great hockey state overall me thinks, only damn probably I just realized is that their major big stadium is indoors. :P

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I voted Boston but it's only half-right. What I'd love to see is a home-and-home series of outdoor games, Boston and Montreal. Boston plays at Fenway, Montreal at Molson Stadium since the CFL season is well over by January.

As a side note, weather-wise Vancouver wouldn't work. BC Place is domed and it's the only place in the country that dosen't get regular snow/cold enough weather, although it's been pretty crummy weather-wise there atm.

Edited by Cern

The problem with some football venues is that the NHL doesn't have the prep time for a game like they would at a baseball facility

Fenway Park and New Yankee Stadium would be great. Has to be Rangers/Bruins for Fenway or Yankee Stadium.

Minneapolis would be a great place next year as the Gophers have a new outdoor football stadium they open this fall. They should play Colorado.

Egypt.

With Bettman's ingenuity and business savvy, I'm sure there's a way they could put some ice together in order to play in front of the dead pharaoghs, much like the Grateful Dead did many years back.

After all, if Bettman can stage a game there, he'll finally prove that hockey is beloved by everyone and that he's the best GM in sports.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Either New York Rangers or Boston, with the matchup between both of those teams. A hockey game in one of the stadiums of a huge baseball rivalry, plus an original six matchup.. would be frigging epic.

Though, to be fair, I think that a Canadian team could get a turn, too. Montreal vs Boston? Toronto vs One of the better southern teams, like San Jose maybe? That way you play somewhere cold but one of the southern teams with a viewership gets watched.. f***, you could put the Thrashers against the Leafs and it would draw high viewers.

The problem with some football venues is that the NHL doesn't have the prep time for a game like they would at a baseball facility

Only in the States, CFL stadiums are long available by January.

I think next year the Winter Classic should be hosted by the Bruins at Fenway Park and play either the Rangers or Canadiens. I think Fenway would be a great venue for it. And unlike Wrigley, the sightlines would be much better. You put the rink down the first base line and build stands to the side of it and have people on top of the monster.

Here are the match ups that I would like to see over the next few years:

Rangers vs. Bruins @ Fenway Park

Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings @ Michigan Stadium (this would be an awesome game. 112,000 people)

Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs @ Rogers Center

Avalanche vs. Wild @ U. of Minn's new football stadium

Red Wings vs. Avalanche @ Invesco Field

Flyers vs. Penguins @ Happy Valley

Flames vs. Oilers

Sharks vs. Blue Jackets @ Ohio Stadium (if columbus ever gets their act together)

Penguins vs. Capitals @ RFK

Rangers vs. Devils @ Giants Stadium

Egypt.

With Bettman's ingenuity and business savvy, I'm sure there's a way they could put some ice together in order to play in front of the dead pharaoghs, much like the Grateful Dead did many years back.

After all, if Bettman can stage a game there, he'll finally prove that hockey is beloved by everyone and that he's the best GM in sports.

Wow.

I think next year the Winter Classic should be hosted by the Bruins at Fenway Park and play either the Rangers or Canadiens. I think Fenway would be a great venue for it. And unlike Wrigley, the sightlines would be much better. You put the rink down the first base line and build stands to the side of it and have people on top of the monster.

Here are the match ups that I would like to see over the next few years:

Rangers vs. Bruins @ Fenway Park

Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings @ Michigan Stadium (this would be an awesome game. 112,000 people)

Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs @ Rogers Center

Avalanche vs. Wild @ U. of Minn's new football stadium

Red Wings vs. Avalanche @ Invesco Field

Flyers vs. Penguins @ Happy Valley

Flames vs. Oilers

Sharks vs. Blue Jackets @ Ohio Stadium (if columbus ever gets their act together)

Penguins vs. Capitals @ RFK

Rangers vs. Devils @ Giants Stadium

Blue Jackets vs Wings at the Big House needs to occur. The NHL can't have a game in Michigan Stadium and not try to capitalize on the biggest rivalry in college sports, especially with a Columbus-based team available. I'm just shocked you suggested the BJs in your matchups and didn't include this no-brainer.

Stars @ Wild is also pretty obvious.

And how about Thrashers @ Flames

Boston vs Carolina @ Hartford, CT

And finally, Edmonton @ Phoenix in Winnipeg?

My immediate thought was for next year either NY, Boston, or Denver.

Would a Caps home outdoor game be at RFK, new Nationals stadium, or FedEx Field in Landover?

or a Pens home outdoor would be at Happy Valley or Heinz Field?

I can't think of a good available outdoor venue in Min/St Paul unless it's a college.

Blue Jackets vs Wings at the Big House needs to occur. The NHL can't have a game in Michigan Stadium and not try to capitalize on the biggest rivalry in college sports, especially with a Columbus-based team available. I'm just shocked you suggested the BJs in your matchups and didn't include this no-brainer.

Stars @ Wild is also pretty obvious.

And how about Thrashers @ Flames

Boston vs Carolina @ Hartford, CT

And finally, Edmonton @ Phoenix in Winnipeg?

That could be a good game, but I chose the Maple Leafs because it would be huge for ratings along with having two original six teams with a lot of history going at it.

Another good idea to go along with that game is having the Cold War II with a Michigan/Michigan State game on New Year's eve. Even though that would be a great idea to tie the two games together, I don't think it would happen because of the World Juniors.

I like the Stars/Wild idea. And I think the residents of Winnipeg wouldn't be too happy about seeing the Coyotes coming into town. Extra security may be needed. lol