• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MotorCityMiracle

New Stadium Idea

Rate this topic

Of the convention centers I've been to (Las Vegas, Louisville, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, and Salt Lake City), Cobo is worse than any of them, and its not close. It needs to be expanded both over the Cobo Arena site and the Joe Louis Arena site, otherwise all the new hotel rooms in downtown are going to sit empty, now that Detroit actually has them. Mr. Ilitch has a GREAT financial deal in place with the city, and probably announce anything on the arena front until the economic situation improves, which probably excludes 2009. I think we will live with the Joe for a while, but it eventually needs to go for the good of the city.

Here's what the Wings should build.

Of the convention centers I've been to (Las Vegas, Louisville, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, and Salt Lake City), Cobo is worse than any of them, and its not close. It needs to be expanded both over the Cobo Arena site and the Joe Louis Arena site, otherwise all the new hotel rooms in downtown are going to sit empty, now that Detroit actually has them. Mr. Ilitch has a GREAT financial deal in place with the city, and probably announce anything on the arena front until the economic situation improves, which probably excludes 2009. I think we will live with the Joe for a while, but it eventually needs to go for the good of the city.

Here's what the Wings should build.

Not enough restrooms!

Nah, Cobo needs all the space it can get, and that means the land that the Joe and Cobo Arena sit on. Besides, demolishing and rebuilding Cobo would be crazy expensive. A new arena would be best in the Foxtown area, where there isn't much going on and where Ilitch already owns a ton of land.

Cobo needs to be rebuilt. It would all add up to the same for a new convention center after repairing and fixing things from the original heating and cooling units from the 60's to the crumbling parking structure and small loading docks making it impossible for trucks to unload and load back up as well building a expansion for it.

You need to get out more. The Ren Cen is in a fine spot? What is there to go TO on the Detroit water front? It's not just "fun" in Chicago, it is a city that works, that people live in, that has a million things to do including miles of water front. Oh well, I just like the hockey team, but I thank God every day I no longer live in God forsaken Michigan, anywhere near Detroit, it's crooked mayor, stupid city council and people like you who think things in the joke city of the nation aren't so bad. Enjoy your town. What are you doing at the Detroit water front tonight? Nothing? How about next week? Wait, nothing? How about last summer? What, once or twice to Hart Plaza or stuck inside Cobo? You can try and pull this over, but trust that I know you and 99.9% of metro area people don't do s*** in Detroit or the water front. Wake up.

As much as I love Chicago, I enjoy riding my bike through the neighborhoods of Detroit and looking at all the old homes then riding my bike by the river or lake Michigan. But then again I enjoy watching Norm from "This old house." :D

Edited by Jwo

Does anyone actually have any credible evidence that either a.) we are getting a new arena or b.) that the Joe is going to undergo major renovations? With the economic situation being what it is in Detroit right now I doubt we will see any progress on this front for several more years.

During the SCF last year, Gary Greene on NHL Network's pre series shows from the Media day interviews in Detroit, had Jimmy D on with him and he said he expects the Wings to begin construction on a new arena within the next 5-10 years.

And we'd go from having the best ice in the league to the worst.

wait... what?

I was under the impression that the Joe had some of the WORST conditions in the entire league. There was an article in Sports Illustrated a few years back about the quality of ice around the league, and Detroit was near the bottom in every category. I remember reading that teams are suposed to fill out reports after each game regarding different things like quality of ice and stuff like that. Detroit had the least reports filed, and the ones that were submitted were usually negative. This was a few years ago, so things could have changed, but I just remember hearing the Joe had terrible ice compared to other cities.

As for a retractable roof, I like the idea but its just not practical.

I am all for renovating the Joe, but when you look at it from a contractors point of view, its a nightmare. It wouldnt be just the visual upgrades, it would have to include internal things like plumbing and stuff like that, which is all 30 years old now, and probably almost impossible to replace. That being said, Im still not a fan of most new arenas, as they lack character and the intimidating feel that old buildings have. A designer that could bring that "retro" feel to a new building would be ideal.

You guys aren't looking at the big picture. The new arena is already built, right where Illitch wants it. When Ford gets tired of people bitching how he's handleing the Lions, he sells them to LA, Boom, New Hockey arena right there.

wait... what?

I was under the impression that the Joe had some of the WORST conditions in the entire league. There was an article in Sports Illustrated a few years back about the quality of ice around the league, and Detroit was near the bottom in every category. I remember reading that teams are suposed to fill out reports after each game regarding different things like quality of ice and stuff like that. Detroit had the least reports filed, and the ones that were submitted were usually negative. This was a few years ago, so things could have changed, but I just remember hearing the Joe had terrible ice compared to other cities.

As for a retractable roof, I like the idea but its just not practical.

OK, so, even better then: it would make bad ice worse. Point remains. I just don't see what's even to like about the roof opening. It's the answer to a question nobody asked.

So I have talked with people that have gone to a Red Wings game (yet to go to one because too much money, and I live in Minnesota). I told them this is what I think needs to be done, they need to get new seating in the arena. They said that it's always crowded when you get a lot of people and hard to watch from way up. So this got me thinking, they don't have to take the Joe down just redo the seating.