• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
40#1Fan

Wings & Zetterberg Close to Deal

Rate this topic

I love Zetterberg, but I don't love long term contracts. Zetterberg has had some serious back issues in the past and who knows whether this will be an issue down the line. I'm hoping for a 5 year - 7 mil deal.

I love Zetterberg, but I don't love long term contracts. Zetterberg has had some serious back issues in the past and who knows whether this will be an issue down the line. I'm hoping for a 5 year - 7 mil deal.

If a longer term contract helps Zetterberg sign for a lower yearly salary, I'm all for it, to help keep the core in tact.

His back issues are grossly overestimated.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/

Holland reports 'progress' made in Zetterberg negotiations

Posted by George James Malik January 19, 2009 05:05AM

The Detroit Free Press's Helene St. James reports that Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg should sign a long-term contract with Detroit in short order:

January 19, Detroit Free Press: "We've made progress in the last two weeks," general manager Ken Holland said Sunday. "There's still a little work to be done, but I'm optimistic."

The deal, possibly for as long as 10 years, will be creative, designed to keep the salary-cap hit around $7 million a season. Like every team, the Wings are wary of how the current economic climate will affect the salary cap.

Sounds like someone is just speculating about the time frame. Possible 10 years could easily mean 7 years. We can just wait and see.

I think the longer the deal the better with Hank, honestly...

If things go as expected, and he ends up as our next captain, we want this guy locked up for as long as possible. All injury speculation aside, this guy (along with Pav Datsyuk) will be the cornerstone of our franchise moving through the next 5-10 years. If Kenny Holland needs to sign him to a 10-year deal to get the cap number he's looking for, I'm all for it.

Plain and simple, we need this guy on our team...he's a leader, and he plays great hockey at both ends of the ice. As long as it doesn't cripple us in terms of signing other UFA's we have coming up at season's end, I hope Kenny does whatever it takes, within reason, to make Hank a Wing for life.

Guest Shoreline

He better be $5m/yr for 10 years. Not a single person in this league I'd ever want my team to sign for 10 years. Far too risky.

Here is my ideal contract for Zetterberg:

15 15 8 4 2 1 1 = $46 million ($6.57m per year cap hit)

Investing a good portion of his first two years will earn him an additional $1m each year in interest, bringing his real contract value to close to $52 million or $7.4 million per year.

Make it as obscene as you want, this is not a cash-strapped organization:

17 17 8.5 .5 .5 .5 .5 = $44.5m ($6.36m cap hit per year)

With interest, that comes out to around the same $52 million in real return over 7 years ($7.4 million per year)

Here is my ideal contract for Zetterberg:

15 15 8 4 2 1 1 = $46 million ($6.57m per year cap hit)

Investing a good portion of his first two years will earn him an additional $1m each year in interest, bringing his real contract value to close to $52 million or $7.4 million per year.

Make it as obscene as you want, this is not a cash-strapped organization:

17 17 8.5 .5 .5 .5 .5 = $44.5m ($6.36m cap hit per year)

With interest, that comes out to around the same $52 million in real return over 7 years ($7.4 million per year)

Your second deal is impossible. There's a drop of more than 50 percent between years.

First one, though...

Your second deal is impossible. There's a drop of more than 50 percent between years.

First one, though...

It's a 50% drop from the average of the first two years (each year, after the first two, could drop as much as $8.5m) -- that contract would be perfectly legal.

I would take contracts like that in a heartbeat over a contract that paid $7m+ a year.

If he is realy good about it, and reinvesting his interest, those front-loaded contracts end up getting him closer to $8m a year.

Edited by egroen

I think the longer the deal the better with Hank, honestly...

If things go as expected, and he ends up as our next captain, we want this guy locked up for as long as possible. All injury speculation aside, this guy (along with Pav Datsyuk) will be the cornerstone of our franchise moving through the next 5-10 years. If Kenny Holland needs to sign him to a 10-year deal to get the cap number he's looking for, I'm all for it.

Plain and simple, we need this guy on our team...he's a leader, and he plays great hockey at both ends of the ice. As long as it doesn't cripple us in terms of signing other UFA's we have coming up at season's end, I hope Kenny does whatever it takes, within reason, to make Hank a Wing for life.

and you can understand his english! key for post game interviews, though i do enjoy trying to make sense of what dats says.

and you can understand his english! key for post game interviews, though i do enjoy trying to make sense of what dats says.

Gotta be honest - I could care less about what Hank says. If he's in front of the camera with his helmet off, I'm not listening anyway. :P