• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Heaton

WDFN drops local programming

Rate this topic

This isn't completely Red Wings related but WDFN (AM 1130) is now going to go completely syndicated National sports talk.

No more Stoney and Wojo

No more Sean Belligan

No more Art Regner

No more interviews with Chris Chelios

No more interviews with Ken Holland

No more interviews with Kevin Allen

97.1 the Ticket being on FM will not do any of these interviews on any sort of regular basis so there's really no more hockey talk to look forward to.

Sure when Hank signs, they'll talk to him, but don't expect any more local interviews to happen any time soon.

Sad day for the locals who want hardcore sports coverage.

Here's the link explaining some of it: http://www.mywdfn.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&am...9&start=135

Radio personalities' jobs are more of a high-wire act than coaches in the NHL. And it is brutal when it's done. Pack your bags that day -- no announcement; no goodbye; nothing. Just a whole new program with no explanation.

Very sad - they did have a lot of Wings coverage. I go bonkers hoping to hear about a winning Red Wings playoff game, and all the callers ever call in for is to ***** and moan about the Lions. I am not a Lions fan, never watch the games and yet I know every single thing about that team just because I listen to sports radio, hoping to hear anything about hockey.

Edited by egroen

No. Regional college sports are more important than your local sports teams.

ESPN radio SHOULD be the only radio allowed. Rome and Cowherd, 24/7.

Let the Smack-Off begin.

This isn't completely Red Wings related but WDFN (AM 1130) is now going to go completely syndicated National sports talk.

No more Stoney and Wojo

No more Sean Belligan

No more Art Regner

97.1 the Ticket being on FM will not do any of these interviews on any sort of regular basis so there's really no more hockey talk to look forward to.

Sure when Hank signs, they'll talk to him, but don't expect any more local interviews to happen any time soon.

Here's the link explaining some of it: http://www.mywdfn.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&am...9&start=135

This was stated by Gregg Hensen in his blog not to long ago he said this would happen

Wow! I used to be in radio quite a few years ago and understand how these things happen especially with the shape Michigan is in, but this really sucks.

Sidenote: I used to work with Otto at a radio station in East Lansing. Always thought he was better off with Sports. His style didn't fit Alternative radio format.

Yikes. 12 years ago, I used to listen to Stoney and WOJO a couple of times a week online.

Clear Channel's making sweeping changes on their stations nation-wide, but those are pretty deep cuts.

This sucks. No warning, no notice, nothing, just grip and rip. Loved listening to Stoney and Wojo on the way home (45 minute drive) from school/work, it was a quicker way to wind down on the way home. :ranting:

Well my day just turned into a ****storm. <_<

That's a bummer. 97.1 though the flagship station for the Wings barely talks about them. You might get some mention from Karsch and Anderson, but for the most part that station rambles on and on about everything related to the sorry ass Lions. Talk about bringing down an already hurting city.

edit: Website down too, just a redirect page.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

NOOO!!!! Even though I don't live in the area, I listened to the podcasts every day for Stoney and Wojo. Sure, they didn't talk about the Wings every day, but they were entertaining. I thought it was also interesting to hear some personal perspective on the Kilpatrick mayor scandals, something we didn't hear much about here in Cincy.

There were also cuts here in Cincy but I am not sure what has been affected. This is a sad day for radio.

Guest CaliWingsNut
Yikes. 12 years ago, I used to listen to Stoney and WOJO a couple of times a week online.

Clear Channel's making sweeping changes on their stations nation-wide, but those are pretty deep cuts.

why keep competing with their satelite programming........

Me too! I'm a transplant in Minneapolis born and raised in Detroit, and Stoney & Wojo (along with detnews.com) are my only life lines to what's going on in the city. That's absolutely devastating and it will make it much harder for me to follow the wings out-of-market.

Very sad - they did have a lot of Wings coverage. I go bonkers hoping to hear about a winning Red Wings playoff game, and all the callers ever call in for is to ***** and moan about the Lions.

Not to be a dick, and I do understand your point, but that's not technically possible, even if you use pre-season football.

Not to be a dick, and I do understand your point, but that's not technically possible, even if you use pre-season football.

Not to be a dick, but there is no off season when it comes to discussing what a joke the Lions are. It's a year round celebration...

Edited by Broken 16

1270 is what I listen too. Art was on it. Then he moved over to 1130 and 1270 went FM. Well I rather listen to clear and static free radio then listen to annoying static 1130 AM radio station. Besides at that time when 1270 was only on AM. 1130AM did not talk about the Red Wings that much. Both have really lost my interest in listening to them.

Unfortunately, he's right. I only listen to 97.1 and 1130 and neither one of them give a ton of coverage to the Wings, is the s***ty Lions roughly 75% of the time on 1130 and 90% of the time on 97.1. If it's the offseason, they talk about draft picks and coaching, during season it's the games and everything that surrounds them. You actually grow to hate the Lions more because that's all that people talk about.

This sucks. I listened today and it was Dan Patrick and some other hosers talking about how mad Lou Holtz got when Dan did his impression of him.

Like I Care!

Although I did get pissed when DFN would throw their drops over the Jungle.

No more Stoney and Wojo

No more Sean Belligan

No more Art Regner

WDFN admittedly catered to the Pistons because that pulled in a more diverse audience. Beligan was too self centered on his own agenda, and I was a fan of the guy, but he was trying too hard to be like Jim Rome. Im sad that those men lost their jobs and in that market, they may have to relocate to get new employment.

They kept the fat retard on 955 (there are probably more than one of them.....but that Big Boy is who I'm talking about) and they got rid of the combo that actually gives something back to the city (Stoney and Wojo).

This world is being taken over by idiots.

Me too! I'm a transplant in Minneapolis born and raised in Detroit, and Stoney & Wojo (along with detnews.com) are my only life lines to what's going on in the city. That's absolutely devastating and it will make it much harder for me to follow the wings out-of-market.

lol don't worry us living here i michigan can pretty much tell you... we are flatlined... all that is left is just the final brain waves before its lights out for good... There is nothing more to see in this se part of the state :D

Very disappointed with this. I was fortunate enough to do an NHL preview feature with Sean a few years back when Motor City Sports Magazine was still running and he's a great guy. Definitely knows his hockey, for sure. Hopefully he gets a gig here in the area.

It was also unfortunate that the cuts affected other radio stations in the area, as 100.3 was also affected which resulted in a disappointing phone call from the morning show's procuder calling and informing me that their show had been cancelled (I had been doing a weekly interview with the station for almost two months.)

Very sad.