• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Broken 16

Worried About Hudler

Rate this topic

The more I poke around other teams sites and read national hockey media... the more worried I get that Hudler is going to be offered a ridiculous offer sheet from a rival team. He seems to be fully on the radar now, which is great for him. He deserves all the attention he gets. Sucks for us though... the Wings won't match a ridiculous offer.

To make matters worse... Hudler and Hossa seem to really be able to read each other well. Based on what I saw going on between Hossa and Hudler the other night against Minnesota, Hudler and Hossa could be just as lethal as Hank and Pavs. Offensively, maybe more so.

Yes... I'm greedy. But I would be REALLY bummed to see Hudler go. He's slowly emerging as one of my favorite Wings.

Well, if someone offers him a ridiculous contract, we get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick, so that's something.

Ya... I thought about that. That would sooth the sting a little bit. It would be interesting to see the Wings with a glut of high drafts picks.

Ya... I thought about that. That would sooth the sting a little bit. It would be interesting to see the Wings with a glut of high drafts picks.

Can you imagine if Florida or LA were the team to win the bidding war for Huds (not that they would even get involved) that would be some really nice picks!!!!

Edited by Opie

Can you imagine if Florida or LA were the team to win the bidding war for Huds (not that they would even get involved) that would be some really nice picks!!!!

How so? Florida is a playoff team right now, and LA is making their own little push. Adding Hudler would only make them better teams, which would push them higher in the standings. Its not like we're getting 09 picks here.

Take him to arbitration. And Boston is in a similar position with Kessel, Krejci, and Thomas all needing to be signed. Someone will make an offer to Kessel or Krejci before Hudler.

:scared: What are you serious? Then we'd be forced to pay him something! And that something could interfere with the Cap! Stuff Hudler, let him sign for $4 million elsewhere. We damn well couldn't trade him for a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd! Get Hossa under contract NOW and then see who wants to stay, Franzen or Hudler. But as I have maintained for weeks now, it makes better business sense to see if Huds will get any offers from other teams, and if he'll sign it.

if arbitration MAKES you pay Hudler $3.5 million, then you are screwed for ALL of your remaining F/A's, including Leino, Sammy, Kopecky and you can forget about bringing up Helm, you'll lose Ericsson to the waiver since he is out of options and he cannot be paid because of Hudler. Howard too!

Tell Hudler it was nice, you've become a heck of a player, but there simply isn't room for you unless you accept $1.5 million.

I would hate to see Huds go as well but he strikes me as another Martin Lapointe. Not so much in playing style but moreso that he's a system player and I don't see him being as successful somewhere else. If he does decide to leave, I hope he succeeds just as long as it's not against the Wings.

:scared: What are you serious? Then we'd be forced to pay him something! And that something could interfere with the Cap! Stuff Hudler, let him sign for $4 million elsewhere. We damn well couldn't trade him for a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd! Get Hossa under contract NOW and then see who wants to stay, Franzen or Hudler. But as I have maintained for weeks now, it makes better business sense to see if Huds will get any offers from other teams, and if he'll sign it.

if arbitration MAKES you pay Hudler $3.5 million, then you are screwed for ALL of your remaining F/A's, including Leino, Sammy, Kopecky and you can forget about bringing up Helm, you'll lose Ericsson to the waiver since he is out of options and he cannot be paid because of Hudler. Howard too!

Tell Hudler it was nice, you've become a heck of a player, but there simply isn't room for you unless you accept $1.5 million.

Or the Red Wings tell Mule goodbye and keep Hudler. Ya know, since Hudler is a better player and all despite your disdain for him.

I would hate to see Huds go as well but he strikes me as another Martin Lapointe. Not so much in playing style but moreso that he's a system player and I don't see him being as successful somewhere else. If he does decide to leave, I hope he succeeds just as long as it's not against the Wings.

He's been hearing stuff like that for his entire career. All he's ever done is prove people wrong.

Huds has grown on me. I don't want to see him go, but I am afraid that with the whole offer sheet thing that he'll be the one we say bye-bye to this summer.

Wherever he goes, I hope he's Happy.

hahaha he's never played anywhere else.

Even if he is a system player... being a talented player on the best two-way system implemented in the entire NHL looks pretty good on a resume. Same could be said for Quincy and look at him. He's flourishing.

Edited by Broken 16

Even if he is a system player... being a talented player on the best two-way system implemented in the entire NHL looks pretty good on a resume.

I agree with what you're saying, but whats your point? Going into free agency he will indeed have a good resume, and probably will have many suitors, but i agree with henrik40. He is a system player and probably wont be as productive without talent around him.

I have lurked on different Redwings forums for about 4 years, been a fan since 1991, but never took the time to sign up for an account. I have read lots of interesting things on these forums, but finally decided I would take the time to sign up and put my 2 cents in. The who is the better player argument between Hudler and Franzen is debatable. Has anyone considered looking a little deeper than that. Such as who is more replaceable/irreplaceable? Here is what I mean by this..... Do the wings have more players in the mold of Huds or Franzen? Which players skill sets/size/speed/chemistry/ piece to the team puzzle is more easily replaced. I like both players and wish we could keep both, but the reality is it probably won't happen. I think you have to look at it from the perspective of which piece to the puzzle is more easily replaced. It seems to me the Wings have a lot of young kids with the similar capabilities/size/ability/speed/vision (overall skill set) that are closer to Huds. How many young guys do we have down in GR with Franzens overall skill set? Huds very well may be the better player, but I truely believe that Franzen is more difficult to replace. True Power Forwards are hard to come by. That being said it sure would be cool if Kenny could perform a miracle. Just my 2 cents.

Not saying either could be immediately or easily replaced. I just think we have players more suited to replace Huds, than Franzen

Edited by dawings1905

I agree with what you're saying, but whats your point? Going into free agency he will indeed have a good resume, and probably will have many suitors, but i agree with henrik40. He is a system player and probably wont be as productive without talent around him.

What talent?

You mean when he was playing with Helm and McCarty in the playoffs?

With Kopecky and Filppula in the AHL and in the NHL?

With Samuelsson and Cleary?

With all of 13 minutes a game?

On another team, he will be playing with better players than our 3rd and 4th line players and with a lot more minutes.

Now, how exactly will he be producing less?

Red Wings fans are so deluded some times -- our 3rd and 4th line guys are NOT better than other teams' top lines.

Edited by egroen

If we do lose Hudler next year, which I am not suggesting we will, hopefully he'll at least get to say he's a two time Stanley Cup Champion.

I have lurked on different Redwings forums for about 4 years, been a fan since 1991, but never took the time to sign up for an account. I have read lots of interesting things on these forums, but finally decided I would take the time to sign up and put my 2 cents in. The who is the better player argument between Hudler and Franzen is debatable. Has anyone considered looking a little deeper than that. Such as who is more replaceable/irreplaceable? Here is what I mean by this..... Do the wings have more players in the mold of Huds or Franzen? Which players skill sets/size/speed/chemistry/ piece to the team puzzle is more easily replaced. I like both players and wish we could keep both, but the reality is it probably won't happen. I think you have to look at it from the perspective of which piece to the puzzle is more easily replaced. It seems to me the Wings have a lot of young kids with the similar capabilities/size/ability/speed/vision (overall skill set) that are closer to Huds. How many young guys do we have down in GR with Franzens overall skill set? Huds very well may be the better player, but I truely believe that Franzen is more difficult to replace. True Power Forwards are hard to come by. That being said it sure would be cool if Kenny could perform a miracle. Just my 2 cents.

Not saying either could be immediately or easily replaced. I just think we have players more suited to replace Huds, than Franzen

Leino is the only player with even a hope of the talent of Hudler - yet Hudler is already miles better and they are about the same age. Strange thing is Leino also likes to go straight to the net - like Franzen.

Did you have anyone else in mind?

Datsyuk is the only player currently on the team who has Hudler's playmaking ability.

Franzen is a decent two-way forward - and we have a ton of those. He is a good goal scorer, and we already have and may continue to have any of Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hudler, Holmstrom, Cleary, Samuelsson.

Franzen goes to the front of the net - so does Holmstrom, Cleary, Kopecky and Abdelkader.

For me -- it is who is more replaceable between Filppula or Franzen?

Welcome to the board! :)

Edited by egroen

I remember going into the draft, analysts were saying that Hudler could be the second best forward prospect in the draft (after Rick Nash), but he might drop out of the top fifteen picks because of his size. Lo and behold, he dropped out of the top fifteen picks right to us at 58. Ever since we drafted him, I've been a fan and have looked for him to succeed, and at this point, I don't see what Hudler has left to prove. He puts up great numbers even on the lower lines, and he's a playmaker. I see him as our "Pocket Hossa," hopefully we can sign him to a 'pocket-sized' salary as well.

Or the Red Wings tell Mule goodbye and keep Hudler. Ya know, since Hudler is a better player and all despite your disdain for him.

whether or not I like him makes no difference. We've had plenty of players on this team that I have not liked. But if Franzen and Huds wanted the same salary and you had to lose one of them, I'd rather get something in return for that loss. That's all I am saying, sure he may not be my favorite player, but if he stayed CHEAP and helped us win again, then I have no issue there, it just is getting more apparent that Huds is going to cost MORE than Franzen. But, If he does stay, it gives me someone to yell about! :lol: