• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Don Cherry's Comments

Rate this topic

It didn't take long to go to YouTube and search his most famous goal.

No doubt it was an incredible goal, and he didn't actually jump into the glass but the dramatics were still there and it was 6-1 in the 3rd. Personally I'd prefer him let the fans deal with the flare rather than himself but I don't really care, he's as exciting as they come.

I'd wager that 95% of players would celebrate at least that much after that goal.

Well that's a pretty precise request. But keeping it in the spirit of the discussion... Sabres blowing out Washington late in the 3rd, and Ovechkin scores and taunts the crowd afterward.

I mean, silly.

He was a rookie. And it's a lot different doing it when you're down than when you're up.

He was a rookie. And it's a lot different doing it when you're down than when you're up.

Now we're making excuses for him. The game's over, and you're gonna taunt the fans after scoring as your team has just had its ass handed to it? Like the old saying goes, "Scoreboard."

Look, I like the guy. He's one of my favorite non-Wings. This is a small part of his persona and it doesn't diminish how much I like him. It just doesn't add anything and I could do without it. As a fan of the NBA and NFL, I'm used to it. But when players go about their business like Yzerman and Barry Sanders, I just happen to prefer it. That's all.

I will say that i did not hear Cherry's comments however, when it comes to Ovechkins goal celebrations i have to agree with those that think he goes overboard. You are the best goal scorer in the league, act like you've done i before. I find his celebrations extremely pompous and annoying. Being that this is a Detroit forums with fans of athletes as humble as Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Im surprised more of you don't agree.

Well that's a pretty precise request. But keeping it in the spirit of the discussion... Sabres blowing out Washington late in the 3rd, and Ovechkin scores and taunts the crowd afterward.

I mean, silly.

It was a pretty precise comparison to Arnott's reaction to his goal. Figured the request ought to be similarly precise. Now for the replay you dug up.

Does context play any role whatsoever? You have an exchange of questionable incidents (I believe AO checked Briere into an open door and Briere speared him the next meeting) and a crowd booing mercilessly. You don't think a player should be allowed to respond to the boo birds when he scores? It's not like the fans were meekly sitting on their hands. They were letting Ovechkin have it, and he gave it right back as he should. It doesn't seem like you to support turning the other cheek, blue. ;)

Just listened to Cherry's comments and I will say, I completely agree. I will say, im VERY disappointed most of you are bashing Cherry. Ovechkins celebrations are overboard. I cant believe the same fans that love Stevie Y for his humility, and the same fans that love Joe Dumars, the same fans that love Barry Sanders for handing the ball to the ref after scoring a TD are on board with Ovechkins ME first goal celebrations, and are not defending Don Cherry for his SPOT ON comments. I cant believe im reading these comments on a Detroit Sports forum. Wow.

It was a pretty precise comparison to Arnott's reaction to his goal. Figured the request ought to be similarly precise. Now for the replay you dug up.

Does context play any role whatsoever? You have an exchange of questionable incidents (I believe AO checked Briere into an open door and Briere speared him the next meeting) and a crowd booing mercilessly. You don't think a player should be allowed to respond to the boo birds when he scores? It's not like the fans were meekly sitting on their hands. They were letting Ovechkin have it, and he gave it right back as he should. It doesn't seem like you to support turning the other cheek, blue. ;)

Heh, you know me. :)

Yeah, context plays a role, sure. As I say, just speaking in general, the big celebrations leave me cold. I'm a lunch pail guy who has a soft spot for players who don't draw extra attention to themselves.

I will say that I enjoyed Ovie's antics towards Sid in their recent matchup, though. I hope that rivalry continues, because I think Sid is a wee bit jealous of Ovie's popularity.

Just listened to Cherry's comments and I will say, I completely agree. I will say, im VERY disappointed most of you are bashing Cherry. Ovechkins celebrations are overboard. I cant believe the same fans that love Stevie Y for his humility, and the same fans that love Joe Dumars, the same fans that love Barry Sanders for handing the ball to the ref after scoring a TD are on board with Ovechkins ME first goal celebrations, and are not defending Don Cherry for his SPOT ON comments. I cant believe im reading these comments on a Detroit Sports forum. Wow.

Just throwing it out there and I'm not saying that this is 100% of the reason for Ovechkin's celebrations, but still might be interesting for some people.

"At one time, Alex almost quit hockey because his parents were unable to transport him to the hockey rink on a daily basis. Alex’s older brother Sergei recognized Alex’s talent and unique passion for the game and insisted on taking him to the rink so he could continue to play. Years later, in an event that would change Alex forever, Sergei tragically died in a car accident. Alex still credits his late older brother for pushing him to continue to play hockey and thinks about him daily. To this day, when Alex scores, he will often kiss his glove and point to the sky in a salute to his brother Sergei."

http://www.alexovechkin8.com/about/

What an absolutely class-less ***hole, right?

It's who he is, I'm not saying you have to change you opinion(Your're entitled to it), but nothing is going to stop him. :rolleyes:

Heh, you know me. :)

Yeah, context plays a role, sure. As I say, just speaking in general, the big celebrations leave me cold. I'm a lunch pail guy who has a soft spot for players who don't draw extra attention to themselves.

I will say that I enjoyed Ovie's antics towards Sid in their recent matchup, though. I hope that rivalry continues, because I think Sid is a wee bit jealous of Ovie's popularity.

Like machine-gunning the crowd? ;)

Now we're making excuses for him. The game's over, and you're gonna taunt the fans after scoring as your team has just had its ass handed to it? Like the old saying goes, "Scoreboard."

Look, I like the guy. He's one of my favorite non-Wings. This is a small part of his persona and it doesn't diminish how much I like him. It just doesn't add anything and I could do without it. As a fan of the NBA and NFL, I'm used to it. But when players go about their business like Yzerman and Barry Sanders, I just happen to prefer it. That's all.

I'm with you 100%. I really prefer the humility in general. But there's nothing I don't like about AO, so yeah, I'm gonna give him a pass on that one. They were booing him like crazy in Boston today, he scored a go-ahead goal and didn't do s*** in the way of taunting. That indicates maturation to me.

Edited by SeeinRed

Just throwing it out there and I'm not saying that this is 100% of the reason for Ovechkin's celebrations, but still might be interesting for some people.

"At one time, Alex almost quit hockey because his parents were unable to transport him to the hockey rink on a daily basis. Alex’s older brother Sergei recognized Alex’s talent and unique passion for the game and insisted on taking him to the rink so he could continue to play. Years later, in an event that would change Alex forever, Sergei tragically died in a car accident. Alex still credits his late older brother for pushing him to continue to play hockey and thinks about him daily. To this day, when Alex scores, he will often kiss his glove and point to the sky in a salute to his brother Sergei."

http://www.alexovechkin8.com/about/

What an absolutely class-less ***hole, right?

It's who he is, I'm not saying you have to change you opinion(Your're entitled to it), but nothing is going to stop him. :rolleyes:

I did not know that about Alex, and i thank you for sharing. That is truly interesting. However.... Alex does no simply kiss his glove and point to the sky. He skates around the rink like a friggin circus act. I know this is a debate between Ovechkin-Crosby, but i would like to admit that i do not like either. Crobsy is a cry baby - pusy bich and Ovechkin acts like he gods gift to hockey.

Just go about your business. Im just surprised that a Detroits sports forum would defend a guy like Ovechkin when we are so used to players like Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg Datsyuk and even Sanders, Dumars, Granderson....etc

Can't say that I am surprised by the beating Cherry is taking over his comments about the Wings or Ovechkin for that matter, but I will tell you, whether you believe it or not, he has a point.

When Downey came up for one game... ONE GAME, and on one shift he and his linemates were hitting people all over the ice, the Joe was rockin' again. Maybe some of you have short memories or are too young to remember, but the Wings used to play some rock 'em, sock 'em hockey that people found quite entertaining.

There has to be some kind of balance. I am not looking for the Charlestown Chiefs here, but can we have a little grit? Lilja went down with one punch tonight... I would venture a guess that if we had some type of enforcer/tough guy, we may not have received the beat down we got tonight.

Grit and tough play can change the momentum of a game. Detroit has enough grit to withstand rough play, but not enough to put a stop to the rough stuff. All you need are one or two guys that make the other team think... but we would rather have Kopecky or Maltby in the game.

Cherry is onto something and if you don't see it, you don't know anything about hockey.

edit: grammar

Edited by scotzman

He skates around the rink like a friggin circus act. Ovechkin acts like he gods gift to hockey.

Just go about your business. Im just surprised that a Detroits sports forum would defend a guy like Ovechkin when we are so used to players like Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg Datsyuk and even Sanders, Dumars, Granderson....etc

No he doesn't, and no he doesn't.

And just because we have such humble stars in Detroit doesn't mean we can't like a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve like AO

I did not know that about Alex, and i thank you for sharing. That is truly interesting. However.... Alex does no simply kiss his glove and point to the sky. He skates around the rink like a friggin circus act. I know this is a debate between Ovechkin-Crosby, but i would like to admit that i do not like either. Crobsy is a cry baby - pusy bich and Ovechkin acts like he gods gift to hockey.

One of the clips used by Don was when he scored that awesome goal against Montreal. That was a pretty damn sweet goal and all he did was kiss his glove and celebrate with teammates. He certainly isn't a 'circus act', even when he is celebrating a lot. He is having a good time and his Washington fans LOVE it and it gets them goin crazy in that building. I'd love to see the Joe get back to that level for a regular season game, it's been a while.

Can't say that I am surprised by the beating Cherry is taking over his comments about the Wings or Ovechkin for that matter, but I will tell you, whether you believe it or not, he has a point.

When Downey came up for one game... ONE GAME, and on one shift he and his linemates were hitting people all over the ice, the Joe was rockin' again. Maybe some of you have short memories or are too young to remember, but the Wings used to play some rock 'em, sock 'em hockey that people found quite entertaining.

There has to be some kind of balance. I am not looking for the Charlestown Chiefs here, but can we have a little grit? Lilja went down with one punch tonight... I would venture a guess that if we had some type of enforcer/tough guy, we may not have received the beat down we got tonight.

Grit and tough play can change the momentum of a game. Detroit has enough grit to withstand rough play, but not enough to put a stop to the rough stuff. All you need are one or two guys that make the other team think... but we would rather have Kopecky or Maltby in the game.

Cherry is onto something and if you don't see it, you don't know anything about hockey.

edit: grammar

A few points.

1. They didn't win a damn thing in that era.

2. Ticket prices have grown exponentially (it's a different class in the crowds).

3. They still didn't sell out back then. It wasn't until the period of time where they started to win when that long string of sellouts started. And they didn't start winning until Bowman started shifting towards a more defensive and disciplined style of game (the game that Grapes wants to call European). Pretty much the same kind of hockey that won last year's Cup.

4. Why does anyone care how loud or boisterous a crowd is? I watch the ice and not the seats. If you're looking to be entertained, I'd recommend the same for Cherry or anyone (last night's game notwithstanding).

Im just surprised that a Detroits sports forum would defend a guy like Ovechkin when we are so used to players like Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg Datsyuk and even Sanders, Dumars, Granderson....etc

First... Granderson? I love him, he's awesome... he's on the list with those guys?

Second, we've had hard nosed players who wear their heart on their sleeve. Sheed, Shanny, Rodman... come one man.

Yes, Detroit is truly blessed with gracious players who are humble with their skill. But not all of them.

A few points.

1. They didn't win a damn thing in that era.

2. Ticket prices have grown exponentially (it's a different class in the crowds).

3. They still didn't sell out back then. It wasn't until the period of time where they started to win when that long string of sellouts started. And they didn't start winning until Bowman started shifting towards a more defensive and disciplined style of game (the game that Grapes wants to call European). Pretty much the same kind of hockey that won last year's Cup.

4. Why does anyone care how loud or boisterous a crowd is? I watch the ice and not the seats. If you're looking to be entertained, I'd recommend the same for Cherry or anyone (last night's game notwithstanding).

I would not disagree with you about the winning... I never said that it was a winning brand of hockey when Probert and Kocur were on the team, but I think the key element that is missing from this team that was a part of each championship over the last 11 years is one or two guys who played tough and could back it up.

97 - Shanahan, Lapointe, Kocur, McCarty

98 - Shanahan, McCarty

02 - Shanahan, McCarty

08 - Drake, McCarty

I love the style of play the Wings use. All I am saying is that Cherry has a point. He is not dead on, but he has a point. We are missing a piece that has been a part of every championship. If you don't see that, I am not sure that this conversation can go anywhere.

The Wings are amazing. I love watching them, but I also love to see some emotion and some toughness when needed. By the way, so do 20,000 people at the Joe or any other arena around the league... just take a look at what happens when someone drops the gloves or puts a nice hit on someone.

Sounds like you are not interested in entertainment, well I have some bad news for ya'... Hockey is entertainment no matter how you slice it. Why would you watch it if it were not entertaining?

I love and respect Grapes, you just have to realize he is old and says dumb things sometimes. Just like advice, always take what he says with a grain of salt.

Indeed. As Grapes gets older his rants get decidedly crazier and less related to strong hockey principles. At this point he just likes to rip on Russians (not that he's ever had nice things to say about them in the last decade!) and question the testicular fortitude of persons wearing visors :P

He's got a big heart... his passion is just misplaced sometimes.

Ovechkin is what he is. I wouldn't ask him to change his passion or the way he shows it just like no one asked Stevie to be more of a showman.

Stevie's humility is just one reason why he was respected and admired... no one said that every player Detroit fans cheer for from now on has to be like Stevie.

First... Granderson? I love him, he's awesome... he's on the list with those guys?

Second, we've had hard nosed players who wear their heart on their sleeve. Sheed, Shanny, Rodman... come one man.

Yes, Detroit is truly blessed with gracious players who are humble with their skill. But not all of them.

When did Rodman ever try to draw attention to himself? :ph34r:

Skip forward to 2:57. Grapes doesn't mention that Crosby's been known to celebrate his goals on occasion too (which he most definitely does, this is just the only video I could find that shows one I specifically remember).

Skip forward to 2:57. Grapes doesn't mention that Crosby's been known to celebrate his goals on occasion too (which he most definitely does, this is just the only video I could find that shows one I specifically remember).

Sid just scored the shootout winner and went straight to his teammates to celebrate the win... it's really not the same.

Sid just scored the shootout winner and went straight to his teammates to celebrate the win... it's really not the same.

I was mostly pointing out the jumping up and down and screaming. I didn't say he was wrong for doing it- just that when Ovi jumps up and down with his hands in the air screaming he's a "showboat", and when Crosby does it he's being "passionate". Both guys are passionate about the game- Ovechkin's just doing it more often. Comparing him to Crosby in light of this seems stupid since Crosby is as emotional as Ovi. If Grapes was comparing Ovi to Stevie then sure, Ovi is a big ol' showboat.