• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Don Cherry's Comments

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline
Last night Iginla broke the Flames points record and in the same game, Lecavalier scored his 300th career goal, you wouldn't know by watching the two celebrate. They have class and they have scored and will score again.

Actually, I did make a topic about Iginla. 0 replies.

Grapes is 100% right about Ovechkin. The way he acts when he scores a goal is totally ridiculous.

And hopefully someone "rips him in half" when he crosses through the hash marks carrying the puck.

Obviously I'm not an Ovechkin fan in the least.

Grapes is 100% right about Ovechkin. The way he acts when he scores a goal is totally ridiculous.

And hopefully someone "rips him in half" when he crosses through the hash marks carrying the puck.

Cherry sucks. Ovechkin is being singled out because he scores MORE than anyone else. There are plenty of players around the league that celebrate the same way when they score- oh, and they're Canadian. Nobody has "ripped him in half" yet, and I doubt they will; usually, it's the other way around.

I'm actually surprised that Cherry didn't make fun of Hossa for fighting (unless I just missed it.) I remember a few weeks ago, another European player got in a fight, and he mocked him for the way he was swinging. If Jason Spezza or Stamkos got in a fight, no matter how ugly it was, he'd praise them for being "tough."

The guy is an absolute joke, and thankfully, nobody outside of Canada gives a s**t what he says. Thank god he'll either be off of tv/committed to a psych. ward sooner than later.

How is celebrating a goal ridiculous? Ovechkin is the best player in the world's best hockey league that is filled with the world's best players. If that were me, every time I scored a goal I'd hit the rafters! This guy is always going full tilt and you're going to fault him for not hitting the killswitch on the adrenaline and emotions when he scores, what are often, highlight reel goals? This kid is living his dreams an making millions doing it too.

As for Don, he's a relic of hockey's past and can't be expected to change a single thing about himself at this point of his career/life. Personally, I don't even watch Coaches Corner any longer due to these rants as well as all the memorial tributes to soldiers. Don't confuse what I just said with being anti-war, anti-army, etc. What I mean is, I turn on hockey to forget about everything that sucks in the world for a couple of hours and NOT to be slapped in the face with memorials to fallen soldiers. The guy is an entertainer and that's all. What bugs me is that he happens to use a Canadian institution (a publicly funded one at that) like Hockey Night in Canada as a podium from which to rant.

Also, I don't see how comparing OV's celebrations to that of a soccer players does anything but help bolster support for the continued display of celebrations. Last time I checked Mr.Cherry, the sport of soccer was the most popular, widely played game on the planet who's players are known around the world and not just in their respective markets. Celebrating goals doesn't seem to be hurting that sport one bit not to mention the fact that OV's last about 5 seconds where as a soccer players celebration can last a lot longer.

Lastly, in regards to someone "taking him out", it's inevitable that someone tries to take him out because he's the best player on the Caps and beating them means neutralizing the best player on the team . I pity the guy who finally takes a run at him. Maybe the reason nobody is doing it is because they realize this guy is 6th in the NHL in hits which clearly indicates he can take it just as well as he can throw it out. Or maybe it's because whoever decides to try taking him out better damn well do it the first time. The only thing worse then not putting your man down is when that man is the highest scoring player in the NHL and he gets up off the ice and drops a hat-trick on your ass...

...and then you get to watch him celebrate.

I will be the first one to bash Cherry and think he is a total dumbass when it comes to hockey but he is absoloutly right here. Theres no need for that and it will lead to Ovechkin taking a stick across the face. Its bush league to celebrate like that. Maybe your first goal its alright to celebrate but the s*** he pulls even when his team is down is just pathetic. Its basically like Ovechkin is saying him scoring a goal is more important then the two points. I'm happy I don't get to watch him play but a few times a year. He is a dirty checker too boot.

Cherry sucks. Ovechkin is being singled out because he scores MORE than anyone else. There are plenty of players around the league that celebrate the same way when they score- oh, and they're Canadian. Nobody has "ripped him in half" yet, and I doubt they will; usually, it's the other way around.

I'm actually surprised that Cherry didn't make fun of Hossa for fighting (unless I just missed it.) I remember a few weeks ago, another European player got in a fight, and he mocked him for the way he was swinging. If Jason Spezza or Stamkos got in a fight, no matter how ugly it was, he'd praise them for being "tough."

The guy is an absolute joke, and thankfully, nobody outside of Canada gives a s**t what he says. Thank god he'll either be off of tv/committed to a psych. ward sooner than later.

Wow, this one really has you upset -- chill out brother, it was just a little puck commentary by one of the more famous Hockey personalities in the world.

Here is who he was making fun of (the video below). Now please watch it and tell me he wasn't in the right to make fun of it -- I won't be expecting anything though seeing as though it is one of the more hilarious hockey clips out there from this year:

Some of the things Cherry say may go overboard in some peoples opinions -- and that is fine, its up to that person to decide what they like/dislike. But to say that Cherry is "absolute joke", and that he doesn't "rip Canadian players" makes you sound as stupid as you claim the Cherry comments sounded to you.

now, i'm a fan of grapes. lots of times, i'm even a defender of grapes.

haha..but i'm totally in the tank for ovie.

and his post-goal celebrations are part of what makes him so exciting to watch.

who cares if it's the same thing as in soccer?

soccer is the most popular sport in the world, maybe ovie's onto something!

I figured I would stoke the flames of the fire and toss a video up here from Cherry's "Rock 'em Sock 'em Hockey" (I have no clue what number). It's a Buffalo/Red Wings line brawl with Cherry's usual commentary. Gotta love it:

Wow, this one really has you upset -- chill out brother, it was just a little puck commentary by one of the more famous Hockey personalities in the world.

Here is who he was making fun of (the video below). Now please watch it and tell me he wasn't in the right to make fun of it -- I won't be expecting anything though seeing as though it is one of the more hilarious hockey clips out there from this year:

Some of the things Cherry say may go overboard in some peoples opinions -- and that is fine, its up to that person to decide what they like/dislike. But to say that Cherry is "absolute joke", and that he doesn't "rip Canadian players" makes you sound as stupid as you claim the Cherry comments sounded to you.

I'm not "upset," I think most people (outside of Canada) would agree with me that his nationalistic delusions are entertaining, but not accurate.

My point was not about whether or not it was funny, because it was. It's about his constant bashing of Euros, and his constant fear that somebody else is taking Canada's game away. Do you think if...oh, I don't know...Joe Sakic would have done that (and swung the same way) Cherry would have been mocking him? No, he would have probably made a remark about leaving fighting to other guys, but he would have ranted about how he's such a great Canadian captain, etc etc. Same old song and dance. The guy is an idiot, he's a personality- that's all.

Chris Zelkovich, in today's Toronto Star, brings up the recurring topic in his Monday column:

Hey, isn't it Cherry-canning season yet?

Honestly, as one of the comments suggested below the article, Cherry did not necessarily talk smack about the Europeans, but rather the European style of hockey. Granted, by default that makes one think that he doesn't like Europeans.

Let me ask this: If I dislike Country Music, does that mean I dislike the people who play it and think they have ruined all music for everyone? Maybe I think Garth Brooks is a swell guy and we have a lot in common, but as far as his music goes, I'm not a fan. Does that mean I want him out of the music industry (I realize he is MIA from the music biz)?

Why can't the guy prefer a particular style of play? What style did everyone say the Ducks won with a few years ago? A North American style... is that somehow racist?

You can disagree with Cherry all you want, but he is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else... and for the record some of what he said is true about the Wings.

You all get back to me if Downey (or any other player for that matter) hits a few people at the Joe. As Mickey always says, "Not a person in their seats right now. Yeah, they hate this don't they?"

Another example of Cherry's hypocrisy. I wish I could find the Coach's Corner clip, but Cherry was raving about THIS celly, about how it's great for the game, etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlj-lPXMaEA...feature=related

Yeah, you should find that clip... that is so similar to Ovechkin's celebration I had to do a double take. :blink:

Another example of Cherry's hypocrisy. I wish I could find the Coach's Corner clip, but Cherry was raving about THIS celly, about how it's great for the game, etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlj-lPXMaEA...feature=related

I don't think Nick Foligno does it anymore; just that one time in honour of his father. Celebrations for goals only started in the early-1940's; it took a memo sent to all six clubs in the League by then-President Frank Calder. He saw it as a way to liven up goals scored, especially during the War. At Calder's suggestion, goals scorers would signal their goal by simply raising their arms (and stick) above their heads. The first player given credit for doing this was Billy Reay with Montreal.

I don't think Nick Foligno does it anymore; just that one time in honour of his father. Celebrations for goals only started in the early-1940's; it took a memo sent to all six clubs in the League by then-President Frank Calder. He saw it as a way to liven up goals scored, especially during the War. At Calder's suggestion, goals scorers would signal their goal by simply raising their arms (and stick) above their heads. The first player given credit for doing this was Billy Reay with Montreal.

That was actually very interesting... thank you.

I guess with the celebration stuff it depends on the moment in the game, the importance of the goal, all sorts of stuff. Really what it comes down to is personal preference. I love a good celebration, but I am partial to Stevie Y (and Dats and Z pretty much do the same thing, they learned from the best)... Stevie celebrated the big goals with a little more pazzaz, but in general, he was pretty low key.

I'm not "upset," I think most people (outside of Canada) would agree with me that his nationalistic delusions are entertaining, but not accurate.

My point was not about whether or not it was funny, because it was. It's about his constant bashing of Euros, and his constant fear that somebody else is taking Canada's game away. Do you think if...oh, I don't know...Joe Sakic would have done that (and swung the same way) Cherry would have been mocking him? No, he would have probably made a remark about leaving fighting to other guys, but he would have ranted about how he's such a great Canadian captain, etc etc. Same old song and dance. The guy is an idiot, he's a personality- that's all.

First you are upset, this is clear by your emotional rant which I cited in my first reply. His nationalistic delusions? What are you talking about -- while he has criticized European players often, he has done the same to guys like Steve Downie and Shawn Avery time and time again.

Is it nationalistic to say that Europeans play a different style of hockey -- one with less grit and fighting, and more finesse, and puck movement? No, not at all -- in fact it's the truth.

Nearly every interview I have read and/or seen conducted with a European born player includes a Q and A that goes something like this?

Q- What was the hardest thing about the North American game you had adjusting too?

A- The difference in the size of the ice surface and the level of physical play.

Chill out man, no one, including Cherry claimed that European's aren't good hockey players, just that they more often then not play a far less physical game.

And your hypothetical question about Joe Sakic and "what if he got into a fight and threw punches like that" -- Well, unfortunately that is a moot point merely because it would never happen. Sakic has gotten into a few (and by few I mean very few -- 2 career FM total) and he didn't nor would he ever conceivably throw punches like Semin did. Same goes with Yzerman (13 FM total)-- simply put, he would never throw punches like that -- ever. There lies your answer in the difference b/t European's and North American players -- well an example of the differences to say the least.

Anyways I decided to include this video, just to ya know, provide a little entertainment:

If Ovechkin played in the original 6 era, and did his goal dance....he'd be flattened.

I've often wondered if Tiger Williams wasn't as good a fighter as he was, how long he would have lasted with his cowboy goal celebration, or Mike Foligno and his goal crease jig. Both men could fight, but had they not been fighters and did those dances....I think they would have been mninced meat.

I know a lot of people are knocking Don Cherry's comments about Ovechkin and his antics, but there are ton of NHL coaches and GMs who are thinking the exact same thing - and just didn't want to say it.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../903030367/1128

There's a small section where Don Cherry is accusing Datsyuk of being a dirty player and Lidstrom doesn't hit anyone (never really has) so therefore DET is a boring team this year.. Cherry just likes to praise Canadiens. He does have some hockey knowledge but he always puts Canadiens before any other group of people.

Luckily Alex keeps his head up because I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that wanna lay him out for his crap. If I were out there against AO, I'd certainly be looking to *cleanly* put him down and make sure he felt it for a while. God knows, trying to stop him from scoring is pretty futile.

Guest Shoreline
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../903030367/1128

There's a small section where Don Cherry is accusing Datsyuk of being a dirty player and Lidstrom doesn't hit anyone (never really has) so therefore DET is a boring team this year.. Cherry just likes to praise Canadiens. He does have some hockey knowledge but he always puts Canadiens before any other group of people.

He's definitely a Canadian homer, but I don't exactly see why that's so horrendous. Everyone has their biases -- just take the good with the bad.