• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Don Cherry's Comments

Rate this topic

Cherry just doesn't want the NHL to turn into a 3 ringed circus. He showed all the stupid goial celebrations in soccer games and it if you ever watch a football game you will see some sort of stupid action move after practically every play. Most of AO's celebrations are fine by me but some of them are getting ridiculous and well excessive, almost taunting. Let's see if Cherry's prediction of someone giving it to AO on the ice comes true.

I think the fans at the soccer games did not find those celebrations stupid.

Cherry should have clarifies himself laying Ovechkin out with a clean heat hit one thing, but I am not sure that what he meant.

*facepalm.jpg*

Yes, curse the clearly-working formula of European hockey. How dare the Wings dedicate themselves to winning hockey games and Stanley Cups?

...this game nowithstanding.

I kinda wish Don Cherry would quietly die soon. I don't mean that in a malicious kind of way if that can be believed, it's just that at this rate soon he's going to come out so drunk/senile that it's just going to erode his respect to a point where even his most staunch supporters grow concerned. He's already been on the downswing but nature needs to intervene before he completely runs out of steam or something. I mean christ, what's next, saying black people have no buisness wearing skates?

Edited by Cern

Cherry should have clarifies himself laying Ovechkin out with a clean heat hit one thing, but I am not sure that what he meant.

He didn't. He meant that somebody is going to purposely hurt him sooner or later.

Cherry had words of warning to Crosby before he even got to the NHL after he was hot dogging during a game when his team was killing the other. His warning was the same for AO too... keep hot dogging and someone with put you in your place.

Cherry had words of warning to Crosby before he even got to the NHL after he was hot dogging during a game when his team was killing the other. His warning was the same for AO too... keep hot dogging and someone with put you in your place.

So basically what he is saying is that AO should be careful because other team might have assholes, who can't take losing. Somehow I don't think AO get the personality to hear this kind of message.

So basically what he is saying is that AO should be careful because other team might have assholes, who can't take losing. Somehow I don't think AO get the personality to hear this kind of message.

Some old schooler like Shanahan will one day send him a message to tone it down if it gets too much.

Kenny just made a good point. Look at Arnott, just notched a hat trick in an 8-0 game and didn't go flying into the boards like an assclown. It can be done!

lol, didn't he give himself a concussion last playoffs doing that anyway?

In any case, I agree about having some class when the score's been run up as bad as it has. But FFS, if I scored a game-winning goal in an intense game with ten seconds left you bet your ass I'd be doing some board-slamming.

I'm seeing a lot of comments here in defense of Cherry because its pretty egotistical to have a big goal celebration if you are already up 4 or 5-0. While that may be true, how often does that happen? Seriously, how often are games runaways and AO is going crazy after scoring the 7th goal. I'll tell you, NOT VERY OFTEN. Usually (like 90% of the time) games remain reasonably close to the very end, meaning every goal counts, meaning AO should go f***in crazy just about every time he scores a goal. I love seeing it and I think more players should follow the trend. Gets the players excited as well as the fans. So sorry if it makes the other team shed a tear or two.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Grapes is more an object of curiosity and a mascot than a serious analyst. While entertaining you have to realize that ultimately he's just an uneducated, senile racist, who serves as a terrible representation of what real Canadians are like. People shouldn't take him too seriously.

technically it isn't racisim. It is ethnocentrisim. There is a big difference, although both come from ignorance.

It gets old, but then again we live in America, so you should be very used to ethnocentrisim by now, and you are a hypocrit if you let his bother you while being apart of American society.

technically it isn't racisim. It is ethnocentrisim. There is a big difference, although both come from ignorance.

It gets old, but then again we live in America, so you should be very used to ethnocentrisim by now, and you are a hypocrit if you let his bother you while being apart of American society.

Actually if his focus is so much on Europeans it would actually be more something like xenophobia. Not like that dosen't come from ignorance too, however.

Although saying people shouldn't be bothered by it because it's so abundant that it people should be used to it is, uh... bothering.

cherry goes over the top alot of times...he's like rush limbaugh kinda

but overall i agree. ovechkin's celebrations get on my nerves. but different people will react differently to this stuff. i;ve always been a fan of the non-chalant, i've done this before, its not about me it;s about the team type of players.

and i do think sooner or later someone will take a run at ovie. he;s been throwing his weight around and talking a lot of s*** lately and sooner or later someone;s going to take exception.

i DON'T think he is anything like avery though. that is a ridiculous and classless comparison

Kenny just made a good point. Look at Arnott, just notched a hat trick in an 8-0 game and didn't go flying into the boards like an assclown. It can be done!

Now for the sake of relevancy find a goal AO scored that late in a blowout after which he went "flying into the boards like an assclown."

I dont really disagree with what Don said, and in the playoffs someone will get him.

That's the last place somebody would get him. No one's ever gonna do s*** to AO after a celebration, because they're gonna get stomped if they try.

Now for the sake of relevancy find a goal AO scored that late in a blowout after which he went "flying into the boards like an assclown."

It didn't take long to go to YouTube and search his most famous goal.

No doubt it was an incredible goal, and he didn't actually jump into the glass but the dramatics were still there and it was 6-1 in the 3rd. Personally I'd prefer him let the fans deal with the flare rather than himself but I don't really care, he's as exciting as they come.

Those of you who think Cherry is over the top (or not) NEED to watch his post-game rant tonight on (and I'm paraphrasing here) the sissies that play on Detroit and their boring Euro-hockey that no one like, 'cause Ron MacLean's wife said so. :thumbdown:

meh, classic cherry, nevermind the fact that nearly everyone on that team played their ass off to win the cup last season, one (admittidly horrible) game and every player on the wings is a ***** who couldn;t play against a canadian to save their life. oooooo im soo sacared! we def need canadians like crosby if we dont want to lose right? whatever.

i love the wings and their style. they win more than the rest of the nhl so i dont see a problem. one bad game doesnt mean ur toast.

Well that's a pretty precise request. But keeping it in the spirit of the discussion... Sabres blowing out Washington late in the 3rd, and Ovechkin scores and taunts the crowd afterward.

I mean, silly.

sounds like cherry is choking on the taste of his own ass...old fu*k is just trying to get some more viewers by spewing his own diaria....and this is from a dude that likes don cherry.

Grapes is more an object of curiosity and a mascot than a serious analyst. While entertaining you have to realize that ultimately he's just an uneducated, senile racist, who serves as a terrible representation of what real Canadians are like. People shouldn't take him too seriously.

He's a blowhard jingoistic moron that found a niche ; he's our Rush Limbaugh of Canadian hockey. What I detest in him aside from his myopic perspectives on what hockey always has to be is his utter contempt for the Red Wings that he's always been at the ready to put on display, like his ******* revolting suits that are his trademark. His contempt for the Red Wings borders on hatred and he so openly flaunts it. Its because of advice like Cherry's and his ilk that Eric Lindross had such a failed carreer in the the N HL. Your big legacy Don Cherry is when you'll be in the old hockey retirement home most of the Kids in Canada will be playing soccer of all stripes ; be careful now don't choke on the grapes.